PDA

View Full Version : Bought 13" - Suffering Mild Buyer's Remorse.

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
Got a 13" today and I'm beginning to wish I'd bought an 11". There's an element of backlight unevenness in my lower left-hand corner which is a little annoying when using full screen Safari - though it's liveable with. I also noticed a scratch straight out of the box on the front, under the glowy Apple. Quite annoying.

Anyone else in the same boat, for different reasons? Opposite opinions also welcome.

Obviously no-one can tell me what's best for me to do, but I wanted to gauge opinion before making a rash return decision.

Cheers.

OSMac
Jul 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
Is it silent running basic tasks,?

How is the fan noise playing 720p YouTube?

The silence of the 11 last year was nice compared to the 13,
So wondering how this years 13 sounds?

Philflow
I've owned both the 11" and 13" for several months. I like the look of the 11" more but the 13" is way more comfortable for longer work. I think many people under estimate this.

ann713
Wait, you want the 11" because of the imperfections found or it's the one you actually want? I don't understand. Surely you can exchange it for another 13" if it bothers you. With that said, the 11" MBA is just not for me. The screen size just feels too cramped to work with. I can also imagine the neck strains over time, as if it isn't already bad for me. Each to their own though.

KPOM
Jul 21, 2011, 01:18 PM
I switched from the 13" to the 11" last year and haven't looked back. It's even better now since the processor differential is smaller (and non-existent with the Core i7 option). The 11" is more portable if you travel a lot, and technically you can leave it in your bag through security (though don't be surprised if some TSA agent makes you take it out).

tom vilsack
Jul 21, 2011, 01:22 PM
uneven backlight/scratch...take it back...you payed good $$$

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 01:22 PM
Is it silent running basic tasks,?

How is the fan noise playing 720p YouTube?

Not been noticeable to me, man. I tried Big Buck Bunny in 1080p and it was running close to silent.

Wait, you want the 11" because of the imperfections found or it's the one you actually want? I don't understand. Surely you can exchange it for another 13" if it bothers you.

You're right Ann I don't think I made that particularly clear, the imperfections have acted as more a compounding factor in the decision. I'm still not sure, but as PhilFlow mentioned, I've been considering the issue of being able to do actual work on the 11" for any length of time, such as Xcode or Coda work. I don't know whether I'm more attracted by the concept of the 11". Thing is, I already have an iMac for the big stuff so I'm not sure whether a trade down would be as much of an issue.

Jobsian
Jul 21, 2011, 01:23 PM
Wait, you want the 11" because of the imperfections found or it's the one you actually want? I don't understand. Surely you can exchange it for another 13" if it bothers you.
Seems to be a bit of both.

Nuts firstly I'd definitely return it if I were you. You're paying a lot of money and I shouldn't have to live with imperfections. As to whether 11" or 13", for me it boils down to your need for a greater battery and/or screen size. If you don't have a need for them, I'd go for 11". RAM, CPU and SSD are all nearly the same in the top spec.

I believe the 11" outsold the 13" last time and certainly in my own experience, more people stuck with the 11" than the 13" (those who used both). You can't go wrong with either.

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 01:24 PM
I switched from the 13" to the 11" last year and haven't looked back. It's even better now since the processor differential is smaller (and non-existent with the Core i7 option). The 11" is more portable if you travel a lot, and technically you can leave it in your bag through security (though don't be surprised if some TSA agent makes you take it out).

What do you do on yours KPOM? One thing that concerned me was the battery life on the 11, which seems to have dropped again since the last iteration, although I'm sure this in some part due to the reinstatement of the backlit keyboard.

Jobsian
Jul 21, 2011, 01:26 PM
And have to say, you gave me a chuckle officially medicalising Buyer's Remorse by categorising it as "mild" lol, hope no moderate-severe cases here! :D

ghsNick
Jul 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
I've been debating too...and we talked about this earlier...GET THE 11"

You'll get rid of the scratch, uneven light, AND get some $ back.

It's a win win.

I notice these forums change my mind more and more by putting "different or bad" thoughts in my head about what I'm going to get.

And the 11" is sexy.

Go 11"

(But don't let me change your mind like everyone changes mine :p)

KPOM
Jul 21, 2011, 01:31 PM
What do you do on yours KPOM? One thing that concerned me was the battery life on the 11, which seems to have dropped again since the last iteration, although I'm sure this in some part due to the reinstatement of the backlit keyboard.

Mostly browsing, e-mail, and videos, with some Office 2011 work. It's great on an airplane when I need to do some reading or document editing, or even just watch a video. I do use Windows 7 in Parallels occasionally (mostly for Quicken). Battery life could be better, though I usually managed 3.5 hours on the Rev D, which is about what I got on my 2008 Rev B. My Rev E is still in the box so I won't know for a few days. That said, I expect to keep this one for quite a while. The Rev B lasted me 2 years and could have lasted me until now if I wanted it to. I want this want to go for 3 years before I move on.

Brenzo
Jul 21, 2011, 01:39 PM
@NutsNGum

I would go with the 11", especially since you're rocking an iMac at home. The whole idea of the Air for people like you with a workhorse at home (and me hopefully once I can get my hands on a refreshed Mini) is to have the Air for those times on the go. How often will you realistically find yourself outside of the occasional vacation or trip to Starbucks using the Air for serious work for hours on end? Won't your iMac always be somewhat accessible and available for you to take a break from the smaller screen of the Air?

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 01:41 PM
I've been debating too...and we talked about this earlier...GET THE 11"

You'll get rid of the scratch, uneven light, AND get some $ back.

It's a win win.

I notice these forums change my mind more and more by putting "different or bad" thoughts in my head about what I'm going to get.

And the 11" is sexy.

Go 11"

(But don't let me change your mind like everyone changes mine :p)

John, you crazy!

The 11 inch is a beauty, but I ain't buying a computer for it to look nice! I gots ta be able to do work on it.

The last thing I'd want to do is take it back for an 11" and then realise I'd made a mistake doing that. I wouldn't be able to show my face in the Apple Store again!

ghsNick
Jul 21, 2011, 01:45 PM
John, you crazy!

The 11 inch is a beauty, but I ain't buying a computer for it to look nice! I gots ta be able to do work on it.

The last thing I'd want to do is take it back for an 11" and then realise I'd made a mistake doing that. I wouldn't be able to show my face in the Apple Store again!

I'm not buying for the looks...it's just "another" reason lol.

I have an iMac at home (as do you) so we're using this for on the go.
Yeah the 11" battery of 4.75 hours scared me...but worse case scenario I'll bring the charger (which I doubt I'll actually need, but it's better to be safe than sorry.)

I just remember you saying you were leaning towards 11...then you somehow changed.

Regardless...exchange/return the one you have.

You just spent over a grand on something that didn't come perfect...I think you should go 11" like me, and we'll be even better friends lol....but if you exchange for another 13" you'll be fine too.

BOOM! Now go! :D

mac jones
Jul 21, 2011, 01:48 PM
Whatever you do, wait a little while. You have (14?) days, or something like that, to return it.

You need to give it a least a couple days, to gain perspective, otherwise your making a hasty decision. Don't you think?

alpinadvl
Jul 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
I debated both today.... was lucky enough to get an i7 13" today at the local store....

in the end there was one thing that changed my mind :

battery life.

(many people here keep going over the aesthetics... but overlook this...) it cant be overstated enough. ... hope this helps you or others with their decision.

CapnJackGig
Jul 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
It was a self-debate I had as well, but after using both there's no way I could ever justify spending 1000 bucks on a screen that's barely useable. If you're going to constantly be connecting the 11 to an external monitor, go for it. Personally I could never work on something as small as the 11. Especially not at that crazy price.

LeakedDave
Jul 21, 2011, 02:16 PM
Honestly for me I go with the 13". Perfect size. I had buyer's remorse when I bought the 2010 11" and ended up swapping.

opera57
Jul 21, 2011, 02:19 PM
You definitely made the right choice with the 13, much more comfortable to work on, and even for just media use the 11 might be a bit too small? http://scottty.com/imgs/signature_silverapple.jpg

kilonet
Jul 21, 2011, 02:22 PM
It was a self-debate I had as well, but after using both there's no way I could ever justify spending 1000 bucks on a screen that's barely useable. If you're going to constantly be connecting the 11 to an external monitor, go for it. Personally I could never work on something as small as the 11. Especially not at that crazy price.

its very usable in your lap you can even hold it and read in bed. Its so light. Depends your needs. Also heard 13" has some angle problems.

stylinexpat
Jul 21, 2011, 02:23 PM
Not been noticeable to me, man. I tried Big Buck Bunny in 1080p and it was running close to silent.

You're right Ann I don't think I made that particularly clear, the imperfections have acted as more a compounding factor in the decision. I'm still not sure, but as PhilFlow mentioned, I've been considering the issue of being able to do actual work on the 11" for any length of time, such as Xcode or Coda work. I don't know whether I'm more attracted by the concept of the 11". Thing is, I already have an iMac for the big stuff so I'm not sure whether a trade down would be as much of an issue.

I was also curious as to how hot it would get after watching a 5 minute youtube video or having a Skype Video call. Those 2 things are what Apple Macbooks usually don't like.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Jul 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
Got a 13" today and I'm beginning to wish I'd bought an 11". There's an element of backlight unevenness in my lower left-hand corner which is a little annoying when using full screen Safari - though it's liveable with. I also noticed a scratch straight out of the box on the front, under the glowy Apple. Quite annoying.

Anyone else in the same boat, for different reasons?

Cheers.

I haven't seen the new MBA, so, I'm wondering, since matte "antiglare" is not available, is the "glossy" the glassy glossy, or, the coated, slightly dull glossy sometimes used that is not so bad? I'm wondering because the new MBA sounds like it would be a perfect gift, but, shiny glassy is a non-starter.

ghsNick
Jul 21, 2011, 02:33 PM
lso heard 13" has some angle problems.
That's why I'm going (in 10 minutes when I get off work!) 11"

Duke15
Jul 21, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would return it for a new one, thats BS

bp1000
Jul 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
Got the 13" this morning too (i5)

Love it - i've done nearly a full days work on it all the usual stuff, browser, mail, Skype, adwords, coding, ssh, terminal, ical, docs, music, bit of youtube (html5), its not once turned up the fans, even using geekbench etc.

Now its running cold to touch, like it was when it first turned on. This thing puts out no noise or no heat.

I have found the 13" screen a little getting used to, i hope i stick with it or i might need to plug into a big monitor. The fonts are a little small for a full days work but manageable.

Other than that, this is one FAST laptop.

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
I haven't seen the new MBA, so, I'm wondering, since matte "antiglare" is not available, is the "glossy" the glassy glossy, or, the coated, slightly dull glossy sometimes used that is not so bad? I'm wondering because the new MBA sounds like it would be a perfect gift, but, shiny glassy is a non-starter.

Since it isn't double-glazed like the MBP, it doesn't suffer from anything near the level of glare that the Pro does. For example, you can't use the Air as a mirror. Turning the light down on the Pro would result in you viewing your own face alongside whatever was on the screen. This doesn't happen with the Air, which in my case is a plus.

ritmomundo
Jul 21, 2011, 02:51 PM

Dunno about the 2011 MBAs, but as for the 2010 - Its not glassy glossy like the MBPs. Its kinda a dull glossy, I rarely see a reflection (only in certain lighting and depending on the display brightness settings).

Young Spade
Jul 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
As for the problems? Return it and get a new one that's blemish free. Now concerning the 13 -> 11, It's killing me to have to wait right now (don't have all of the funds sadly :( but I'm not going to get the 11 inch.

The 13 inch gives you ~2 more hours of battery life. That is a lot. IMO that's worth the extra couple hundred that I'm shelling out for the machine, especially since I'm a college student and I would be able to take the machine out for the entire day without needing a wall charger.

That's great seeing as I hardly ever had access to one. I'm going to have to wait another week or so to get the money but I think it will be worth it.

ghsNick
Jul 21, 2011, 04:10 PM
Just got the 11" and it's awesome.
13" was sick too...but hitting the $1500 mark (with warranty) wasn't something I wanted to do for my "on-the-go" device.

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
Just got the 11" and it's awesome.
13" was sick too...but hitting the $1500 mark (with warranty) wasn't something I wanted to do for my "on-the-go" device.

Cool man, enjoy it!

urkel
Jul 21, 2011, 04:20 PM
I've been torn on 11 vs 13 so I went to the Apple Store to try them out again. One thing I noticed was that everyone using the 11" was really hunched over the thing. I get how unique it looks and all but in the end I feel the "sexiness" of it will wear off and the 13" will be more practical.

So for the next few hours I'm leaning toward 13" but as usual by nighttime I'll probably find ways to convince myself the 11" is better. But in all seriousness, I'm considering the 13" for my main and a $750 refurb last gen 11" for the wife and we'll use that whenever we need ultra portability.

mac jones
Jul 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
I've been torn on 11 vs 13 so I went to the Apple Store to try them out again. One thing I noticed was that everyone using the 11" was really hunched over the thing. I get how unique it looks and all but in the end I feel the "sexiness" of it will wear off and the 13" will be more practical.

So for the next few hours I'm leaning toward 13" but as usual by nighttime I'll probably find ways to convince myself the 11" is better. But in all seriousness, I'm considering the 13" for my main and a $750 refurb last gen 11" for the wife and we'll use that whenever we need ultra portability.

I don't understand. You say that they were 'hunching over' the 11", but you say your 'leaning' towards the 13".

Frankly, i'm getting dizzy :o

mfr1340
Jul 21, 2011, 04:51 PM

Anyone else in the same boat, for different reasons? Opposite opinions also welcome.

Obviously no-one can tell me what's best for me to do, but I wanted to gauge opinion before making a rash return decision.

Cheers.
I bought the 11" factory sealed 90 days ago on Creig's list, but I really wanted to get the 13" w/sd card and larger screen. what to do? got some extra's for it also, anyone want to trade?

Young Spade
Jul 21, 2011, 05:14 PM
I bought the 11" factory sealed 90 days ago on Creig's list, but I really wanted to get the 13" w/sd card and larger screen. what to do?

Sell it on eBay... or sell it here; that's your only option.

ann713
Jul 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
Sell it on eBay... or sell it here; that's your only option.

mfr1340 won't be able to access the market place as he is a new member. Your two options are to 1) Sell it back on Craig's or 2) Post a listing on eBay.

OlafTHairy
Jul 21, 2011, 06:37 PM
OP: That is a big chunk of cash to drop on something that is not pristine.
You wouldn't accept that if it were a car.
I would take it back straight away, if you wait like 14 days and then return it to the store to trade for another model, will they believe you that it was already like it..?

Not worth the risk.

Pay lots - expect perfection...!

entatlrg
Jul 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
@NutsNGum

I would go with the 11", especially since you're rocking an iMac at home. The whole idea of the Air for people like you with a workhorse at home (and me hopefully once I can get my hands on a refreshed Mini) is to have the Air for those times on the go. How often will you realistically find yourself outside of the occasional vacation or trip to Starbucks using the Air for serious work for hours on end? Won't your iMac always be somewhat accessible and available for you to take a break from the smaller screen of the Air?

Those who dislike working from a desk or taking a break from working from a desk often spend long hours on their 11 or 13" Air's no doubt. And for that, the 13" screen is noticeably better, imo.

Insilin1i
Jul 21, 2011, 07:34 PM
I got the 13" when I made my decision because of the battery life and larger screen. I would still make the same decision now.

OSMac
Jul 21, 2011, 07:40 PM

No its not glass gloss ,
in fact I'd like it to be a little more glossy, so I think you might be happy:)

OSMac
Jul 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
John, you crazy!

If your really not sure buy them both and try for a week, then see what you think.

You would have to return one anyhow so might as well have both for a while to make the right choice?

stevensr123
Jul 21, 2011, 09:48 PM
the way i see is, depending on how you use it, the 11" screen is big enough.

if you can view content on the iphone/ipad for hours, you can do the same with the 11" screen of the air.

I'm gonna buy the air because i know 11" is big enough for me, my usage? viewing the interweb, youtube, email, music and occasional usage of AUTOCAD. to do that i don't need a large area of space to view. then again some people like to have multiple applications open on the screen all the time to view different contents at the same time.

of course if your intending to do some serious work in documents and stuff, the screen might be too small. but then you can just plug it into a 20+ inch screen and do some serious work.

but the ULTRA portability of the 11" screen is just too good to pass up. i just love the fact how good the 11" air is as a computer, in the past the air was , as a computer, a failure, it wasn't powerful enough, only one usb, not a lot of memory, **** graphics etc, but these new air's ARE good enough as a full time computer and i just find the leap of improvements amazing especially if you look at the price and what you get for the price.

ghsNick
Jul 21, 2011, 10:28 PM
the way i see is, depending on how you use it, the 11" screen is big enough.Yeah the 11 is perfect with full screen! If it wouldn't of had full screen it would have been too small for me. But full screen is clutch.

jnpy!$4g3cwk
Jul 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
No its not glass gloss ,
in fact I'd like it to be a little more glossy, so I think you might be happy:)

Thanks, everyone. I have to start saving now.

Ubuntu
Jul 23, 2011, 03:46 PM

Cheers.

Its probably already been mentioned but give Apple a call. Its not acceptable to spend like a grand on a computer and have it already scratched before you take it out of the box, and the customer service people know this. They'll probably ship you a new one and take the old one back after, or you can just get a refund and order the 11 inch.