PDA

View Full Version : New 13 inch Macbook Air Fan Noise

jwkitche
Jul 21, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just got the i7 Air and the fan came on immediately. Loud and continuous. I have an 11 inch (prior model) that is dead silent. Also, my Macbook Pro (2010 17 inch) is dead silent.

Is this a known issue with the air or is something wrong?

NutsNGum
Jul 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
My i5 13" is as quiet as a mouse.

calvol
Jul 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
Well, MBP owners had heat issues with Sandy Bridge. Let's hope it's just indexing, and will settle out in due time.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2764570?start=0&tstart=0

merrickdrfc
Jul 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm also having no noise problems at all with my i5 13" MBA

Vazkor
Jul 21, 2011, 01:49 PM
Dead. Silent.

CapnJackGig
Jul 21, 2011, 01:53 PM
When I installed Lion yesterday the fans kicked on like crazy. Normally they only ever ran when I watched HD video via Youtube, iTunes, Hulu etc. With the lone exception being Amazon's video on demand service which never kicked on the fans. Apparently the fans had come on due to the indexing. Once that was completed, the fans are now seemingly back to normal but they do come on sooner than before when watching videos. But this probably has something to do with Apple's childish treatment of Flash in Lion. When your fans are on high like that, go into the activity monitor and see which program is using the most resources.

El3ctronics
Jul 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
One of the main reasons I opted for the i5 instead of the i7.

MBABuyer
Jul 21, 2011, 01:58 PM
Have any other i7 buyers had problems with this?

really need some help here

Thanks,
Swayne

MBABuyer
Jul 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
back to top, any more i7 experiences????

plesset
Jul 21, 2011, 02:28 PM
My 11 inch i7 is all fan all the time. Uh oh. Cupertino, I think we have a problem.

FusionZero
Jul 21, 2011, 02:30 PM
Higher CPU = more heat generated = more fans.

I would be interested to see what everyone is using to do that. Like most I bet you're watching flash video's.

tbobmccoy
Jul 21, 2011, 02:31 PM
I am so much more comfortable with my slightly slower but quieter than a mouse i5 MacBook Air now. Maybe they'll find a firmware update, but I'm pleased enough with the i5 to not want to upgrade.

mitup
Jul 21, 2011, 02:39 PM
This thread is making me anxious about my i7 13", due to be delivered on August 4th :/ I had planned to underclock it but apparently Coolbook doesn't support SB.

aristobrat
Jul 21, 2011, 02:42 PM
Just got the i7 Air and the fan came on immediately. Loud and continuous. I have an 11 inch (prior model) that is dead silent. Also, my Macbook Pro (2010 17 inch) is dead silent.

Processes that are using a lot of the processor are what causes heat buildup which is what causes the fan to run.

Anytime that happens, you can launch the Activity Monitor program, set it to show "All Processes", then sort it by the "% CPU" column. Simply look for the processes using the most CPU (as that's what's generating the heat).

The first time you turn on a Mac (or upgrade an existing Mac to a new OS), Spotlight runs and indexes the drive. You won't see this process running in your Dock, but it can generate some heat, and take awhile to finish. So that might have been it.

Either way, reboot your new Air, and if the fan starts running again, try the Activity Monitor thing and see what process is causing it.

Something else you can do, if you don't want to wait for the fans to come on, is start the Activity Monitor application, then going into View > Dock Icon > Show CPU History. Then down on your Dock, you'll have a graph always showing you how busy your CPU is. Anytime it spikes (like in the example below), you can double-click on the Dock icon and see what's going on.

meaty
Jul 21, 2011, 02:50 PM
my fan hasn't started but I've only used safari. i got the i7 13in

eeptman
Jul 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
I got mine 13" i7 today from Apple Store. So far so good.

My MBA stays around 45~52 C, but 7x~93 C while importing an movie into iMovie and the fan will start spinning to 6xxx rpm. However, it cools down to 4x C as quickly as job be done in 10 secs. The cooling system is efficient in this generation.

rds
Jul 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
Open Activity Monitor (in Utilities folder) and select "All Processes" instead of "My Processes" in the toolbar. Then, sort by % CPU descending. I'd hazard a guess it's mdworker indexing for Spotlight.

R.OG
Jul 21, 2011, 03:09 PM
It's probably spotlight indexing.

jwkitche
Jul 21, 2011, 03:19 PM
Dropbox is syncing (for the first time on this machine) and using 40-115% CPU. kernel_task is using 11-20%.

Interesting that the fan quieted down when I unplugged the machine.

It is not a "deal-breaker" for the new MBA but just a surprise since I have not heard much fan noise since my first generation Air.

It is warm but not scorching. Certainly better than prior Pros and the first generation Air.

daza1000
Jul 21, 2011, 03:26 PM
same here Silent even when i tried a 1080p youtube test was quite silent

fa.ce
Jul 21, 2011, 03:28 PM
same here Silent even when i tried a 1080p youtube test was quite silent
Do you have a MBA i5 or i7 ?

halledise
Jul 21, 2011, 03:31 PM

as already mentioned it's probably indexing or whatever, though it does seem unusual.

you could try resetting the SMC first

and then maybe run this sequence in Terminal, one line at a time:

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

daza1000
Jul 21, 2011, 03:38 PM
Do you have a MBA i5 or i7 ?

13" baseline what a computer i like it even more than my 2010 mba 11:)

Apple Expert
Jul 21, 2011, 03:58 PM
Just purchased the 13" ultimate. I'll be testing this out. If it gets hot or too loud I'll be exchanging for i5. :mad:

jwkitche
Jul 21, 2011, 05:28 PM
After finishing Dropbox sync - quiet as can be. Even when plugged in.

waynep5
Jul 21, 2011, 08:50 PM
i7 here, Hm.. only with light chrome browsing the fan has been non-stop. Might have to exchange it for an i5. :(

No spotlight indexing happening, nothing....

CapnJackGig
Jul 21, 2011, 08:51 PM
i7 here, Hm.. only with light chrome browsing the fan has been non-stop. Might have to exchange it for an i5. :(

This is distressing.

waynep5
Jul 21, 2011, 09:05 PM
Definitely going back to the store for an i5 now. I let it idle back down for 10 minutes. With nothing else running I started a Time Machine backup (across WiFi)... in less than 2 minutes fan is running at 3800.

edit, fixed img: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9494351/Screen%20Shot%202011-07-21%20at%207.02.25%20PM.png

lashedup
Jul 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
I think the bad news isn't the new Air laptops, but Lion itself.

I'm running on a 2.13 4gig RAM 13" 2010 model and the fan never came on. Now that Lion is installed the fan is coming on a lot more often. I'm now running activity monitor to see what is causing it and waiting for it to happen again.

But again, the fan *rarely* came on before upgrading to Lion and now it comes on quite a bit. I think the problem is Lion, not the new sandy bridge Airs.

-jamie

entatlrg
Jul 21, 2011, 09:32 PM
Lion is silent on my 2010 Air, as it was with SL....

OSMac
Jul 21, 2011, 09:34 PM
13" i5 here is completely silent so far...

fattire357
Jul 21, 2011, 09:38 PM
I have an i7 MBP 2011 (yes, I know it's not a MBA) and it runs so hot it burned me once. I think the Sandy Bridge processors do this.

Interesting that the i7 MBAs have the same problem as the 2011 MBPs...

Taylormade2
Jul 21, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have a 13" i7 and it is dead silent.

Taylormade2
Jul 21, 2011, 09:46 PM
Actually, fan just came on but I've been using the computer constantly for 5.5 hours and this is the first time it's come on.

klover
Jul 21, 2011, 10:48 PM
Definitely going back to the store for an i5 now. I let it idle back down for 10 minutes. With nothing else running I started a Time Machine backup (across WiFi)... in less than 2 minutes fan is running at 3800.

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/i/o/cFl66JsZGfNU47Dg4hhc_oBlTCpJh6aoNQWmDvEkfIo/9494351/1311390000/d1bbac0

Probably a bad thermal paste application and an exchange should sort it out.

Jordan921
Jul 21, 2011, 11:33 PM
I think the bad news isn't the new Air laptops, but Lion itself.

I'm running on a 2.13 4gig RAM 13" 2010 model and the fan never came on. Now that Lion is installed the fan is coming on a lot more often. I'm now running activity monitor to see what is causing it and waiting for it to happen again.

But again, the fan *rarely* came on before upgrading to Lion and now it comes on quite a bit. I think the problem is Lion, not the new sandy bridge Airs.

-jamie

I'm noticing the opposite. The fans rarely come on with Lion installed.

Geotrash
Jul 21, 2011, 11:55 PM
Picked up a 13" i7 this afternoon, installed VMware Fusion and pulled my corporate XP image into a VM. The fan ran while the virtual machine was getting itself organized but once that was done, it stopped. I'm running Lion, a bunch of apps including MS Word, Firefox and iTunes plus the stuff running in the Windows VM, and the machine is running cool and silent sitting on my legs.

All I can think is that there is something wrong with the ones that people are complaining about.

Battery life has been good too. Ran the VM with Outlook, etc for 2.5 hours and the battery was down to 65%. The performance in the VM was snappy too, with only 1.5GB and a single core allocated to it. I'm thrilled with the i7 so far and almost didn't get it.

Best,
Dave

macau
Jul 22, 2011, 12:14 AM
Just got a 13" i7. Completely silent thus far, even while running 1080p video.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 12:15 AM

Same here. But with Safair and Mail running. Hope it stops or it's i5 for me.

cc2096
Jul 22, 2011, 12:27 AM
Just got my 13" i7 Ultimate today. Haven't done a ton except copying files from my MBP, but so far the fans are not a problem.

waynep5
Jul 22, 2011, 12:29 AM
Went back to exchange for an i5 128GB base... restored from Time Machine. I'm now backing up time machine via WiFi (same scenario as the i7) and fan speed is at a low 2800rpm. I can barely hear it. A huge difference over the i7.

Someone mentioned it might have been a base thermal paste application on the previous i7 machine. Who knows? Maybe we can get a consensus as more i7 MBA users report in. Regardless, I didn't need the extra 128GB anyway.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 12:49 AM
Went back to exchange for an i5 128GB base... restored from Time Machine. I'm now backing up time machine via WiFi (same scenario as the i7) and fan speed is at a low 2800rpm. I can barely hear it. A huge difference over the i7.

Someone mentioned it might have been a base thermal paste application on the previous i7 machine. Who knows? Maybe we can get a consensus as more i7 MBA users report in. Regardless, I didn't need the extra 128GB anyway.

Good to hear. Might be going i5 if this dam fan doesn't shut up!! :D

ender21
Jul 22, 2011, 12:59 AM
Got the i7 here today too. I've clean-installed Lion, Time Machined and browsed on Chrome (Flash Disabled), and it's been cool and quiet. When I test-drive FCPX I'm sure I'll hear/feel it.

drewyboy
Jul 22, 2011, 01:18 AM
This is one reason I'll be waiting to buy till 10.7.1. There are probably a few glitches that are causing fan spinup which more than likely will be ironed out in the update, but only the update will tell. But it also seems like it might be hardware cuz a good # are saying they don't have problems.

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 01:20 AM
I just got a 2011 MBA 13" today and all I've started is a Google Plus hangout and the fan noise is so loud! And it even started lagging a little.

Is this something I should be worried about? Should I exchange it?

RobNor
Jul 22, 2011, 01:25 AM
Just got a 13" i7. Completely silent thus far, even while running 1080p video.

How long can you view 1080p video before the fans become noticable?

I have the 13" i5 and the fans start to ramp up after about 10-15mins of 1080 video

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 01:41 AM
Yeah I don't understand. The fans are BLARING. All I'm doing is using Safari and Video Chatting on Google+.

I doubt this should be happening. Is there an explanation for this or might just this be a faulty hardware?

MilkMan4
Jul 22, 2011, 01:42 AM
the only time i have heard my fans so far is when i had it on my lap and i was downloading apps and updates. other than that i've had it on a desk since then and it is soooooo quiet.

Frostywinter
Jul 22, 2011, 01:46 AM
I haven't even heard the fan on my 13" i7 Air...

Super quite

:)

quackinator
Jul 22, 2011, 02:19 AM
Long time forum lurker here...finally decided to post since I'm going to get myself the new 11" 128GB MBA in a month :) Anyways, There seems to be mixed reviews of the new i5/i7 MBA's fan running like there's no tomorrow, and I am also wondering as well if it is because of Lion and/or just because of indexing. Might also be because of poor thermal paste application, since from what I've read, that has been the case with the older generation of MBA. If this doesn't get resolved with a Lion update before I get my MBA, I'll take the risk of opening up my MBA and reapply some good 'ol Arctic Silver on the CPU (if I experience the problem, of course)

For those who are experiencing the problem now, does anyone want to take the risk of reapplying the thermal paste? It might also help with the battery life as better heat dissipation from the CPU would certainly lower the times for the fan to kick in.

tom vilsack
Jul 22, 2011, 02:20 AM
maybe poor thermal paste between the processor and the heat sink? (was know issue with new mbp's)

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/WujHe5nU1SRdWaVf.medium

macau
Jul 22, 2011, 02:34 AM
How long can you view 1080p video before the fans become noticable?

I have the 13" i5 and the fans start to ramp up after about 10-15mins of 1080 video

I was running the video for about 10 minutes.

The fan noise first became noticeable today while I was doing a lot of file copying and installing. But it didn't take long to go quiet again. It's totally silent most of the time.

MBA 13"/256/4GB/i7 1.8

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 03:25 AM
Yeah I don't understand. The fans are BLARING. All I'm doing is using Safari and Video Chatting on Google+.

I doubt this should be happening. Is there an explanation for this or might just this be a faulty hardware?

Well, it's completely quiet now. I just watched a 40 minute 720 video and it didn't make a single sound. Maybe it was just indexing? Or maybe it's the webcaming.

stevensr123
Jul 22, 2011, 03:28 AM
hmm i7 users saying it is dead silent vs i7 users who have suddenly switched to i5 users and say it was horrible..... who to believe :D

arctic
Jul 22, 2011, 03:36 AM

Hi Wayne. You didn't mention if your i7 was an 11" or a 13". There seems to be a pattern that the 11" i7 ones are those that have the fan/heat problems and not much on the 13" i7 ones.

Yumunum
Jul 22, 2011, 03:38 AM
Darn, now this thread's got me worried. I'm looking to buy an i5 "13 though.. So maybe I shouldn't be. Because no one's having problems with that, right?

waynep5
Jul 22, 2011, 03:39 AM
Hi Wayne. You didn't mention if your i7 was an 11" or a 13". There seems to be a pattern that the 11" i7 ones are those that have the fan/heat problems and not much on the 13" i7 ones.

sorry it was a 13"

arctic
Jul 22, 2011, 03:54 AM
Darn, now this thread's got me worried. I'm looking to buy an i5 "13 though.. So maybe I shouldn't be. Because no one's having problems with that, right?

Me too. And I was actually gunning for the 11" Ultimate. This problem plus the better battery of the bigger brother, I might just get the 13" i7. I hope this is a production fluke on the thermal pasting so Apple can resolve the next ones. But I'm pretty sure it's the i7's processor power on the smaller size/power management of the 11".

sorry it was a 13"

:(

stevensr123
Jul 22, 2011, 03:54 AM

wait a few days for more reviews , answers, go into the apple store yourself etc

don't just take mac rumors member's opinion/views as fact, because you might regret it later on when you realise there wasn't a problem.

theSeb
Jul 22, 2011, 04:14 AM
hmm i7 users saying it is dead silent vs i7 users who have suddenly switched to i5 users and say it was horrible..... who to believe :D

You should probably believe both, but first find out exactly what they were doing at the time, what processes are running, what is their CPU temp and what is the air temperature.

aussie.damo
Jul 22, 2011, 05:23 AM
I just picked up an i7 13". Was really worried about the fan noise, so the first thing I did was download Skype and do a 30 minute, full screen video call. At the same time the app store was updating 3 applications (iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand) in the background. The fan did not become audible at all. The laptop got somewhat warm above the F1-F4 keys, but that was it.

This is a big difference to my 2010 MacBook Air that would ramp up the fans after only a few minutes on Skype. I am one very happy customer :D

If you're on the fence about i5 and i7, just go the i7. If your i7 has loud fans, take it back and get it replaced.

Also, backlit keyboard FTW!

Damo

OSMac
Jul 22, 2011, 06:34 AM

Just normal browsing, my i5 13" is silent.
Seems quieter than last years version.

I'd bet the i7 is similar as both scale back the CPU speed for light tasks.

Roman2K~
Jul 22, 2011, 07:56 AM
Your MBAs are all new. Maybe the thermal paste just needs time to settle.

1. IIRC, people having stated that temperatures decreased over a few days after purchase, in the months-old threads about the 2011 Sandy Bridge 15" MBPs.

2. Apple seem to have learned their lesson when it comes to applying reasonable amounts of thermal paste, as can be seen in the iFixit teardown (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Air-13-Inch-Mid-2011-Teardown/6130/2) (step 11 -- still too much, but a lot better than in initial batches of 2011 MBPs). I don't see bad application of thermal paste being the issue this time.

Plus, iFixit say that Apple have oiled the fan proper :cool:. My 2010 MBA is dead silent from a normal distance (unless I push it to the extreme), but the fan does make a coil / buzzing noise. Should be fixed in the 2011.

MBABuyer
Jul 22, 2011, 07:56 AM
I have an i7 13" 256gb MBA.

The fans come up when using google earth with like 3d building in New York City, etc. Also, they turn on during 1080p youtube videos.

Luckily, the fans work really really well, and they turn off right after you end the thing that made them start in the first place :)

:apple:

ovrlrd
Jul 22, 2011, 08:08 AM
Nothing odd here, it comes on when using the CPU more heavily, but I expect that with every MBA.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
My fan is running at about 3000 rpm and 155 degrees when using mail, safari and ical. :rolleyes:

Scuba629
Jul 22, 2011, 08:47 AM
My fan is running at about 3000 rpm and 155 degrees when using mail, safari and ical. :rolleyes:

is that 155 cpu temp? also what parts are hot?(and how hot) is this on your lap?

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 08:54 AM
is that 155 cpu temp? also what parts are hot?(and how hot) is this on your lap?

Yes it is. Mainly by the hinge is where the heat is at. It's sitting on my desk, so I can't comment on it being on my lap.

OSMac
Jul 22, 2011, 09:10 AM

What tool to check that?

Scuba629
Jul 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
Yes it is. Mainly by the hinge is where the heat is at. It's sitting on my desk, so I can't comment on it being on my lap.

hmm that seems hot to me for just doing those simple things.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 09:11 AM
What tool to check that?

Smc fancontrol.

aristobrat
Jul 22, 2011, 09:15 AM
So 155'F is 68'C, which is exactly what the temp of my mini's C2D CPU is running at right now.

What process is using the most CPU? Flash in Safari?

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
So 155'F is 68'C, which is exactly what the temp of my mini's C2D CPU is running at right now.

What process is using the most CPU? Flash in Safari?

Mainly Safair. But no flash, since it's not installed. Usually about 4-6 tabs at ones. The fans have went back to 2000 rpm, but temp is still about 155.

Roman2K~
Jul 22, 2011, 09:24 AM
Mainly Safair. But no flash, since it's not installed. Usually about 4-6 tabs at ones. The fans have went back to 2000 rpm, but temp is still about 155.

Wouldn't it be Safari's Prefetcher process by any chance?

When I was testing out Lion GM, this process used a lot of CPU time even while doing nothing in Safari. As the name implies, it must be pre-fetching pages, following links on currently opened pages in anticipation of clicks on those links.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 09:26 AM
Wouldn't it be Safari's Prefetcher process by any chance?

When I tried Lion GM, this process used a lot of CPU time even while doing nothing in Safari. As the name implies, it must be pre-fetching pages, following links on currently opened pages in anticipation of clicks on those links.

It's possible. I've noticed with Chrome the fans do appear to be louder.

Typswif2fingers
Jul 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
Simply amazing..

The fan is working and it is making noise?! Really? Good god.. Terrible..

To alleviate that failure in the mechanism I would recommend either (or both) of the following and the fan will be silent:

1. Purchase an MBA and never use it.
2. Purchase an MBA and open the bottom and remove the fan.

Voilà.. no fan noise..

Taank
Jul 22, 2011, 09:48 AM
Simply amazing..

To alleviate that failure in the mechanism I would recommend either (or both) of the following and the fan will be silent:

Voilà.. no fan noise..

Wow. Snarky.

People want their new expensive purchase to be as quiet as possible and are evaluating/discussing it from that aspect.

Very helpful post though. We all think you are very smart and clever now.

Typswif2fingers
Jul 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
Wow. Snarky.

People want their new expensive purchase to be as quiet as possible and are evaluating/discussing it from that aspect.

Very helpful post though. We all think you are very smart and clever now.

I did not write it to be smart...

If someone here is studying or is a mechanical engineer ask them about why airflow is introduced into the operating systems, elements or items of equipment.

By its very nature, airflow is noisier than no airflow... all things being equal.

JSalig
Jul 22, 2011, 09:57 AM
I believe it's called making an informed decision.

entatlrg
Jul 22, 2011, 09:58 AM
Simply amazing..

Voilà.. no fan noise..

If you dont like what you read in a thread then shut up and move along. No need to litter anyone's thread with this crap. Smart asses do better on windows forums I heard, you should go ....

Typswif2fingers
Jul 22, 2011, 10:03 AM
If you dont like what you read in a thread then shut up and move along. No need to litter anyone's thread with this crap. Smart asses do better on windows forums I heard, you should go ....

Ouch.. It hurts...

Seriously though. The point is that if you decide to use some of heavier applications your machine might get a little bit warm. If you do not wish for the fan to be heard... well... at this time there is no solution for that problem if the means of cooling are provided by airflow... Airflow systems tend to be noisy..

Cynicalone
Jul 22, 2011, 10:05 AM
The i7 is very quite.

I have iStat Menus installed so I can see it is working, it just seems so quite compared to the my old laptop.

Taank
Jul 22, 2011, 10:07 AM
I did not write it to be smart...

If someone here is studying or is a mechanical engineer ask them about why airflow is introduced into the operating systems, elements or items of equipment.

By its very nature, airflow is noisier than no airflow... all things being equal.

The airflow itself, mechanism delivering the airflow, and amount of airflow even needed, based on design, can all generate varying levels of audible noise. That variance is precisely what is being discussed in this thread.

I'm sure any helpful input you can contribute to the discussion, in that respect, would be greatly appreciated.

ozthegweat
Jul 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
Seriously though. The point is that if you decide to use some of heavier applications your machine might get a little bit warm. If you do not wish for the fan to be heard... well... at this time there is no solution for that problem if the means of cooling are provided by airflow... Airflow systems tend to be noisy..
You miss the point. Nobody questions the necessity of a fan or criticizes the noise it produces during heavy load.
This thread is about an abnormally loud fan noise, which is clearly a defect. Why else do you think everyone else has an almost silent system?

Jaro65
Jul 22, 2011, 10:38 AM
Streaming Pandora, browsing the web using Chrome, and working on an Excel spreadsheet...my 13" i7 MBA is silent (2k rpm). I watched an HD video for a few minutes and the laptop was much quieter compared to my previous 2010 13" MBA. These are just qualitative observations, I know, but I do perceive a difference compared to my previous MBA.

waynep5
Jul 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
You miss the point. Nobody questions the necessity of a fan or criticizes the noise it produces during heavy load.
This thread is about an abnormally loud fan noise, which is clearly a defect. Why else do you think everyone else has an almost silent system?

Actually it's not the fan spinning, the heat, OR the fan noise in my case, it's the fact that the battery life will be dramatically affected.

With high temps and constantly spinning fan the system was reporting less than 3 hours of battery life. Not something I bought a MacBook Air for.

Geotrash
Jul 22, 2011, 10:51 AM
Not that anyone needs to be following my adventures, but here is an update from my i7 today. Opened the lid this morning, resumed the XP virtual machine, listening to Pandora and occasional browsing. The fan hasn't come on yet in more than 2 hours of use.

Just wanted to give the folks on this thread an additional data point to help you get a better feel from a real-world use scenario.

Best,
Dave

daza1000
Jul 22, 2011, 10:53 AM
i have the 13" baseline i have tested 1080p video watched for 10 mins while browsing and could not hear the fans for the slimness of this computer its top notch:)

Wrongshui
Jul 22, 2011, 11:02 AM
I bought the ultimate i7 at the store yesterday. Ran it for about 8 hours, the only time I noticed the fan at all, was when I was using flash (facebook game), and it briefly ramped up (not to the same 6000 like flash did, likely 3500ish) with netflix, using silverlight. I did not check the CPU while this was happening, will likely do tonight.

Otherwise, its been beyond smooth. I had VLC running a high def rip, 5 desktops, multiple firefox and safari windows, outlook downloading my huge exchange pst... and it was instantaneous to gesture switch between desktops, even with the video running in the background.

No lag at all. Though, I will test it out more over the next week, and if the fan ramps up besides using flash, I'll likely see where we're at i5 vs i7 wise, and return it for an i5, along with the stupid printer I bought... that rebate was tempting.

Btw, love this board, been a lurker for the past few months. Most everyone, except for the small man complexers are amazingly helpful.

iphoneblack
Jul 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

I think only 11" i7 having fan issues.
Good thing I ordered i5

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5248d Safari/6533.18.5)

I think only 11" i7 having fan issues.
Good thing I ordered i5

My 13" does have the same issue. It appears to be random as not every i7 has these issues.

MarkosXT
Jul 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
Oh crap, I don't like what I'm reading here, I have a macbook air 13" with core i7 on the way but I guess I'll just exchange it for core i5. :(

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
Oh crap, I don't like what I'm reading here, I have a macbook air 13" with core i7 on the way but I guess I'll just exchange it for core i5. :(

To each is own. You may get lucky. I was really hoping I got a quite i7. I knew of fan noise and heat prior, but was thinking it was fixed. Maybe it's just Intel's design in the i7 in general. Seems to be wide spread amoungst other computer manufactures. Looks like I'm heading to i5. All the reviews on them are much more positive.

Typswif2fingers
Jul 22, 2011, 12:11 PM

Indeed, I must've missed the point.

Apologies...

Have to admit though, quite enjoy being a sarcastic bastard...

MarkosXT
Jul 22, 2011, 12:12 PM
You may get lucky.

I don't want to risk it, I live in South America with nearly constant 32C+ room temperatures. I don't like hot laptops, I thought the i7 and the i5 would have nearly the same temperatures since they both have the same TDP but i guess i was wrong.

aristobrat
Jul 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
I don't want to risk it, I live in South America with nearly constant 32C+ room temperatures. I don't like hot laptops, I thought the i7 and the i5 would have nearly the same temperatures since they both have the same TDP but i guess i was wrong.
I think it's too early to tell. There are way too many variables between what each person posting here is doing with their Air. Personally, I'm waiting until Anandtech (or similar) does an in-depth review.

Would this be your first Mac notebook? With the unibody aluminum design, I'd imagine it'd feel warm to the touch in a 32C+ room even if it were turned off.

TheGenerous
Jul 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
I just checked the previous MBA and has a similar fan noise, but to be honest is very quiet, definitely something's wrong if it's louder and better report your MBA

thatisme
Jul 22, 2011, 02:18 PM
Im using SMC Fan Control on the 13 2011 Air, and it is registering 199 degrees, 6500 RPM whilst running a Time Machine Backup for the first time. It is dead quite until it's under load, then the fan sounds like a jet engine for a bit

While it is registering a scalding temp, the case is fairly cool... much cooler than my 2008 MBP 15".

kis
Jul 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
I don't have my MBA yet but I'm definitely going with the i5. I made the mistake and got the i7 MBP and the fan is a major issue for me. It's quiet if I only browse the web (at least on websites that don't use a lot of flash), but doing anything just a tad more CPU-demanding causes the fan to spin up drastically. And that baby is LOUD, sounds like a vacuum cleaner :-(

I was hoping that the slightly slower i7 in the MBA wouldn't have that problem - but from what I'm reading here, it's the same thing all over again. i5 it is for me.

theSeb
Jul 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
I think it's too early to tell. There are way too many variables between what each person posting here is doing with their Air. Personally, I'm waiting until Anandtech (or similar) does an in-depth review.

Would this be your first Mac notebook? With the unibody aluminum design, I'd imagine it'd feel warm to the touch in a 32C+ room even if it were turned off.

I've yet to see anyone reporting heat and noise "issues" to actually back it up with a screenshot and explain what they are doing. It seems like the usual MR overreaction to me. Not even Apple can bend the laws of physics... yet

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 03:49 PM
I've yet to see anyone reporting heat and noise "issues" to actually back it up with a screenshot and explain what they are doing. It seems like the usual MR overreaction to me. Not even Apple can bend the laws of physics... yet

Just by looking at a few images to check for dead pixels.

seepel
Jul 22, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have an 11" Ultimate, but I'll post my experience.

I have mostly been running in clam shell mode so take that into account.

Light Web Browsing - Fan seems to stay around 2000 RPMs occasionally boosting up to 3000 RPMs or so. Dead silent. CPU temperatures around 30C? Didn't really pay close attention.

Heavy Data Transfer Over Wifi (ie. Initial data migration) - Fan was often around 4000 RPMs and I could only hear it when putting my head on the machine, then less often it would bump up to about 5000 RPMs and I could hear it if I moved my head towards the machine (about a foot). CPU temperatures between 40-50C.

Maxed out CPU - Fan is pegged at 6500 RPMs and is quite audible. Spun up to this speed pretty immediately too. CPU temperatures between 60-90C. Enclosure is about 38C.

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 04:43 PM
I just want to figure out if this is normal.

With just Safari opening and web browsing - the fans are silent. 54 degrees C and around 2000 rpm.

The moment I start a video chat, OR open up Thunderbird, OR use iTunes (not all together) the fans start being very loud, like a freaking jet engine. I hit around 65 degrees C and almost 5000 rpm.

But when I watched a 720p video fro 40 minutes last night, I would occasionally check to see if there was any noise being made and their wasn't.

According to what I'm hearing, my fans are louder than others as people who are streaming videos and web-browing and running a program like Word/Excel aren't hearing anything.

EDIT: Like right now, all I'm doing is surfing the web and using iTunes. I believe Thunderbird/AppStore are running in the background. I can hear the fans a little even through my music and it's 4600 rpm, 64 degrees C.

So what's the deal? Is it normal? I got a Toshiba SSD and an LG Display.

MarkosXT
Jul 22, 2011, 05:05 PM
I just want to figure out if this is normal.

With just Safari opening and web browsing - the fans are silent. 54 degrees C and around 2000 rpm.

The moment I start a video chat, OR open up Thunderbird, OR use iTunes (not all together) the fans start being very loud, like a freaking jet engine. I hit around 65 degrees C and almost 5000 rpm.

But when I watched a 720p video fro 40 minutes last night, I would occasionally check to see if there was any noise being made and their wasn't.

According to what I'm hearing, my fans are louder than others as people who are streaming videos and web-browing and running a program like Word/Excel aren't hearing anything.

EDIT: Like right now, all I'm doing is surfing the web and using iTunes. I believe Thunderbird/AppStore are running in the background. I can hear the fans a little even through my music and it's 4600 rpm, 64 degrees C.

So what's the deal? Is it normal? I got a Toshiba SSD and an LG Display.

what's your model?

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
what's your model?

Sorry I should have mentioned that. It's the 13" inch i5 128gb.

I've been lying down in bed and using it on my lap or on the bed, if that's of any use. All I'm doing is posting on MR and playing music and it's at 4200.

Honestly, I don't care about the fan noise as much as I care about the fact that everyone might not be having the problem. If it's part of the product that's fine, but there's a defect, I want to get it sorted ASAP.

MarkosXT
Jul 22, 2011, 05:20 PM
Honestly, I don't care about the fan noise as much as I care about the fact that everyone might not be having the problem. If it's part of the product that's fine, but there's a defect, I want to get it sorted ASAP.

You're the first one I've seen who is having fan issues with the core i5 model, or maybe most people on here bought the i7 version? Either way, I'd say you should check if there are programs running in the background, if there aren't and if the fans are still noticeable when doing basic things then you should take it back to apple.

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
You're the first one I've seen who is having fan issues with the core i5 model, or maybe most people on here bought the i7 version? Either way, I'd say you should check if there are programs running in the background, if there aren't and if the fans are still noticeable when doing basic things then you should take it back to apple.

I just started up Mission Control and checked - I only have Safari, iTunes, AppStore, and Thunderbird running. That's it.

I called Apple and the rep said that will happen if you use it on your lap. I'm at 5500 rpm right now. I really don't want there to be a problem. Apple Store is a good 45 minutes away and I've already set my computer up to my liking.

Sigh, such a pain.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I'm also using uTorrent and currently downloading two files. I've also moved to a desk but the fans are still pretty loud. I also checked my Activity Monitor. My computer is 85% idle.

Is it true that if it's on your lap...the fans are going to be louder?

calvol
Jul 22, 2011, 05:26 PM
iZeeshan, I believe the temp profile you've characterized is normal for Sandy Bridge, that's the exact same behavior I have seen in my Dell Latitude with i5-540M processor. It seems when TurboBoost kicks in, the temp rises very quickly to 80-90C, and the fans kick in like jet engines, when doing something as simple as opening several new browser tabs. It seems the SB IGP gets overloaded easily and TurboBoost has to kick in. My MBA13 C2D does not do this, probably because it does not have the level of TurboBoost as SB, and because the 320M can better handle graphic loads in a more controlled fashion without relying on TB.

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
iZeeshan, I believe the temp profile you've characterized is normal for Sandy Bridge, that's the exact same behavior I have seen in my Dell Latitude with i5-540M processor. It seems when TurboBoost kicks in, the temp rises very quickly to 80-90C, and the fans kick in like jet engines, when doing something as simple as opening several new browser tabs. It seems the SB IGP gets overloaded easily and TurboBoost has to kick in. My MBA13 C2D does not do this, probably because it does not have the level of TurboBoost as SB, and because the 320M can better handle graphic loads in a more controlled fashion without relying on TB.

But what about everyone else that has been reporting their MBA 13 inches as dead silent? I'd be fine if everyone had the problem because it doesn't bother me that much. But I hate being singled out. I already got unlock with my Toshiba and LG :P

But even on a desk now, I;m hitting 3600+ with just iTunes, Thunderbird, and Safari.

Scott6666
Jul 22, 2011, 05:42 PM

Sounds like I might sit out this upgrade then and stick with my C2D 2010 Air. At least it's quiet. Seems like I should forget Lion as well for a bit as that seems to be making Air's loud. Very sad. Just got back into the US today and wanted to pick one up tomorrow.

iZeeshan
Jul 22, 2011, 05:49 PM
Sounds like I might sit out this upgrade then and stick with my C2D 2010 Air. At least it's quiet. Seems like I should forget Lion as well for a bit as that seems to be making Air's loud. Very sad. Just got back into the US today and wanted to pick one up tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong. The machine's great. It lagged only once when I accidentally started up like 3 programs at once, tried Video Chatting, and ran Flash. Other than that, it's been flawless. Just can't figure out this fan problem...

Vortron
Jul 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
Got my 13" i7 256 GB at the Apple Store in Colorado Springs. Runs much faster for me than the i5 I used as a demo. NO fan noise or much heat at all. I'd definitly take the i7 over the i5 anyday, speed difference is remarkable especially for Photoshop and Final Cut. My neighbor got an i5 and we compared and mine boots almost twice as fast as his. i5 is a wimp compared to this one!

aristobrat
Jul 22, 2011, 06:12 PM
My neighbor got an i5 and we compared and mine boots almost twice as fast as his. i5 is a wimp compared to this one!
So he's got "Reopen windows when logging back in" checked and you don't? :D

I can't imagine much about booting a Mac is processor-intensive enough that the i7 would run faster.

Exporting video, ripping DVDs, converting music .. definitely the i7 would be faster. But booting? That's a new one!

Glad you like it!

HiRez
Jul 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
I haven't used mine long enough yet to know if the fan really is a problem or not, but it might be something that Apple could fix/adjust with a future software or firmware update. I seem to recall some of the old Mac Pro towers having various fan issues (mostly coming on too soon or running higher than they needed to), which I believe were later fixed. Also future Lion updates could implement better power management in general. So it's not necessarily something that's set in stone.

f00f
Jul 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
Can SL be installed & run on these new Airs? If so has anyone tried it to test these supposed fan issues?

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 06:42 PM
So he's got "Reopen windows when logging back in" checked and you don't? :D

I can't imagine much about booting a Mac is processor-intensive enough that the i7 would run faster.

Exporting video, ripping DVDs, converting music .. definitely the i7 would be faster. But booting? That's a new one!

Glad you like it!

I agree. My wife has the i5 and I can't tell the difference at all.

scottlu13
Jul 22, 2011, 07:08 PM
Just used migration assistant to transfer everything from my 13" i5 MBP (HDD) to my 13" i7 Air... a few mins in and the MBP fans were in over drive while the Air was quiet for the entire time... found that quite interesting!

wookv
Jul 22, 2011, 07:18 PM
I just started up Mission Control and checked - I only have Safari, iTunes, AppStore, and Thunderbird running. That's it.

I called Apple and the rep said that will happen if you use it on your lap. I'm at 5500 rpm right now. I really don't want there to be a problem. Apple Store is a good 45 minutes away and I've already set my computer up to my liking.

Sigh, such a pain.

EDIT: I forgot to mention - I'm also using uTorrent and currently downloading two files. I've also moved to a desk but the fans are still pretty loud. I also checked my Activity Monitor. My computer is 85% idle.

Is it true that if it's on your lap...the fans are going to be louder?

in my experience, with whatever laptop I've used in the past, my leg (lots of fat...:rolleyes:) and the bed are like insulators, they trap heat pretty well.

If it's that much of an issue for you, maybe try running the same apps while on a desk?

aristobrat
Jul 22, 2011, 07:49 PM
in my experience, with whatever laptop I've used in the past, my leg (lots of fat...:rolleyes:) and the bed are like insulators, they trap heat pretty well.

If it's that much of an issue for you, maybe try running the same apps while on a desk?
Or may use something like the iLap. Helps with the angle, and its made of aluminum, which helps dissipate heat easier than bedding.

thatisme
Jul 22, 2011, 08:02 PM
I have the i5 base 13", and have had issues with horrible heat and fan noise until I checked the Activity Monitor. There were 2 processes just terrorizing my processor...

the first was SYSLOGD which come to find out is a problem sometimes when running time machine. I ran Time Machine for the first time, and this process was recording 150% CPU usage. It continued on after Time Machine finished. After restarting the computer, everything was fine and this process was gone.
From what I have read, this is a process that sometimes gets stuck after Time Machine is closed down.

The second was BZIP2, which was logging 100% CPU, and I think this has to do with the Spotlight logging process. My computer had everything checked under spotlight for indexing, and after I unchecked everything other than my documents and files, the process seems to have stopped.

I went from 199 degrees and fans at 6000 rpm, to now running at 118 degrees and no fan noise at all.

jackyyeow
Jul 22, 2011, 08:52 PM
I'm thinking of bugging Apple to swap my less than 3 weeks old 2010 13" ultimate MBA for the new one, but the temperature got my worried.

My 2010 ultimate 13" MBA never go beyond 75C when using VM fusion and about 50% CPU usage constant along with what I believe some loads on GPU (didn't have any app to check GPU temp). I tried to un-rar 3 big archives and got the CPU running 100% for a while still the most I've seen is low 80C.

199F is about 92C and this doesn't look right, it's matching MBP's temperature.

Appreciate all the reports so far but seems not conclusive that I should keep my 2010 MBA or exchange for the 2011 (if it ever work out).

thatisme
Jul 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
I'm thinking of bugging Apple to swap my less than 3 weeks old 2010 13" ultimate MBA for the new one, but the temperature got my worried.

My 2010 ultimate 13" MBA never go beyond 75C when using VM fusion and about 50% CPU usage constant along with what I believe some loads on GPU (didn't have any app to check GPU temp). I tried to un-rar 3 big archives and got the CPU running 100% for a while still the most I've seen is low 80C.

199F is about 92C and this doesn't look right, it's matching MBP's temperature.

Appreciate all the reports so far but seems not conclusive that I should keep my 2010 MBA or exchange for the 2011 (if it ever work out).

I believe my situation with these processes running and eating up CPU %, the 199 temp is with Turboboost cranking. I've been on the computer now for about 3-1/2 hours after killing those processes, and I have only hit 125 degrees once, and this is with me working in Excel for that whole time... After 3-1/2 hours, I still have 75% battery, and show 5 hours remaining (moving target) and in that 3 hours the MBA has been cool to the touch and has had NO fan noise.

I also noticed that Safari Flash Plugin was also consuming way too much processor time... I think this came over from my MBP's Time Machine Backup during the migration, so I updated to the newest Flash build, then installed click-2-flash, and that Safari Flash Plugin process has not popped up again (yet).

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
I believe my situation with these processes running and eating up CPU %, the 199 temp is with Turboboost cranking. I've been on the computer now for about 3-1/2 hours after killing those processes, and I have only hit 125 degrees once, and this is with me working in Excel for that whole time... After 3-1/2 hours, I still have 75% battery, and show 5 hours remaining (moving target) and in that 3 hours the MBA has been cool to the touch and has had NO fan noise.

I also noticed that Safari Flash Plugin was also consuming way too much processor time... I think this came over from my MBP's Time Machine Backup during the migration, so I updated to the newest Flash build, then installed click-2-flash, and that Safari Flash Plugin process has not popped up again (yet).

What machine do you own?

TheRealDamager
Jul 22, 2011, 09:36 PM
Another data point. I have used the 2010 13" Air since it was released. Bought an I7 13" unit this morning - I've been working with it all day, and I have yet to hear the fans OR to feel any heat.

One other thing that seems different in the newer model - the keys on the keyboard seem a bit more contoured on the newer model - seems a bit easier to type on .

thatisme
Jul 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
What machine do you own?

i5 13" MBA 2011

jackyyeow
Jul 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
I totally believe the new SB processor run cool during light use, in fact, some review shows that 11' MBP 13" runs cooler than 10' MBP 13" during light browsing or anything light on CPU.

However, I'll be using the laptop for audio works which at time can be running about 70~80% CPU constant due to real time processing plugins in DAW.

Of course the new SB will be much more efficient and I probably will be using about 50% instead of the 70~80% on the same setup. Decisions, decisions...

johnc22
Jul 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
I have the 13" i7 256GB and it's my first Mac. It seems to behave like every other laptop I've had - when it gets busy it gets warmer and the fans spin up.

Mine has been silent until I was installing Xcode I could hear it really ramp up, but then it quickly quiesced once the install was complete.

aristobrat
Jul 22, 2011, 10:25 PM
I have the i5 base 13", and have had issues with horrible heat and fan noise until I checked the Activity Monitor. There were 2 processes just terrorizing my processor...
Great troubleshooting! Hopefully those guys don't act up any more!

kis
Jul 23, 2011, 07:01 AM
I went to my nearest Apple Store (still about 50km away) today and bought the i5 MBA. They didn't have any i7 anyway, so not much choice.

In any case - the thing is absolutely dead silent - I went through the whole installation this morning, synced my dropbox etc. The fan never turned on.

The performance gain for the i7 is only about 25% max, so I fail to see the logic in paying 100$ more to get a noisier version. Unless of course you only need it for video editing - but then again: who'd buy a Macbook Air for heavy video editing.

Peter

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 07:45 AM
Had the i5 13" since release... yet to hear the fans turn on, truly amazing
and still running on the original charge just opening and closing the lid.

Only weakness of the product is the display, wish they had a IPS option.

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
I went to my nearest Apple Store (still about 50km away) today and bought the i5 MBA. They didn't have any i7 anyway, so not much choice.

In any case - the thing is absolutely dead silent - I went through the whole installation this morning, synced my dropbox etc. The fan never turned on.

The performance gain for the i7 is only about 25% max, so I fail to see the logic in paying 100$ more to get a noisier version. Unless of course you only need it for video editing - but then again: who'd buy a Macbook Air for heavy video editing.

Peter

Try about 7-9% faster. Not a huge difference considering you get more heat.

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 08:49 AM
Actually I'm more concerned about the heat and battery life. Frankly the fan running at full 6500rpm doesn't bother me a single bit. I've lived with PC laptop for years and they all make such noise all time. My wall fan at speed 1 is still louder than the MBA fan at full speed.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 09:55 AM
Those that are having problems with heat and fans with the 13 inch i7 can you post what processes are going on to give an idea of what might be causing it.

Is it still a problem after spotlight indexing and other such things that go on in the first uses of a new mac finish?

drew0020
Jul 23, 2011, 10:00 AM
13" i5 my fans are coming on all the time. Been using it for over a day now and its pretty annoying. And no spotlight is done indexing. Im usually just using safari and iTunes.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
13" i5 my fans are coming on all the time. Been using it for over a day now and its pretty annoying. And no spotlight is done indexing. Im usually just using safari and iTunes.

so it may not just be a problem with the i7's then?

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 11:09 AM

Are you using a program like iStat to check the fan and temp?

rds
Jul 23, 2011, 11:38 AM
I love these contrasting views and yet nobody is mentioning one very important variable – location. How hot or cold is it where you are?

If I was in the Sahara, I would expect there to be quite significant fanning going on or if I was in the Arctic, the opposite would be true.

drew0020
Jul 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
Are you using a program like iStat to check the fan and temp?

Im using iStat. Im located in NC and its hot, but very cool in my air conditioned house! Im responding to this right now (only using Safari) and my CPU temp is around 80 degrees and no fans yet...

thatisme
Jul 23, 2011, 11:51 AM

when the fans ramp up, check the activity monitor for ROOT processes. This is where those 2 rogue processes were running on my computer.

mathmad
Jul 23, 2011, 12:12 PM
I have the 13" i7 256GB and it's my first Mac. It seems to behave like every other laptop I've had - when it gets busy it gets warmer and the fans spin up.

Mine has been silent until I was installing Xcode I could hear it really ramp up, but then it quickly quiesced once the install was complete.

What about when using Xcode????

kis
Jul 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
I love these contrasting views and yet nobody is mentioning one very important variable – location. How hot or cold is it where you are?

If I was in the Sahara, I would expect there to be quite significant fanning going on or if I was in the Arctic, the opposite would be true.

It's about 24 degrees C in my room - and no fans to be heard here.

MistaMacky
Jul 24, 2011, 08:09 AM
So I have had the MBA 13'' i5 since Thursday. I live in South Fl, but of course live in an air conditioned home. The fan has gone bazerk on me only once...

I was video chatting with ichat while using the "hearts steaming of head" effect. The thing started gobbling up 50%+ of my CPU usage.

At other times, I had iTunes, Safari, Mail, App Store and ichat open and it ran seamlessly... snappy and with no issues.

I will try playing some 720P vids of my external later and repost. So far, I think its the vids that cause the fans to kick in.

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 08:32 AM
What is the default fan speed on the mba 13inch i7?

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 09:51 AM
What is the default fan speed on the mba 13inch i7?

About 2k rpm.

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
Ok so similar to the 2008 mbp that i have. with a temp around 55c when i use word an have few firefox tabs open.

Is the temp on the i7 13 similar?

Typswif2fingers
Jul 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Ok so similar to the 2008 mbp that i have. with a temp around 55c when i use word an have few firefox tabs open.

Is the temp on the i7 13 similar?

It should be about 10C-15C less than that with i7 13 with the same open..

Based on my machine anyway.

EDIT:

Although, I just checked, with word and 4 tabs open, two of which are you tube, it goes up to about 45C - 47C.

I also have excel open..

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
Excellent thanks

Typswif2fingers you aren't having any heat or fan issues then? :)

Typswif2fingers
Jul 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
Excellent thanks

Typswif2fingers you aren't having any heat or fan issues then? :)

Oh mate..

I have garnished about "20 arrows down" on this thread alone.
I better not say my opinion about, what I can only call as, scare mongering that occurs on this forum.

Although, I am fully expecting a couple more for this post...

In all seriousness though, notwithstanding that the machine will get hot when you do things that are resource intensive, and that the fan will kick in to mitigate and provide airflow and cooling, I do not see either heat or fan working as being a bad thing.

MBA provides, in about a pound of a paper thin notebook, capacity for something that we needed desktops for just a couple of years ago.

If anyone expects that in 2011 they can play a you beaut new game on an MBA and not get heat generation and fan working, they are simply deluded. Maybe in 5 years... not today.

But, for "normal" tasks (such as word and number processing, web browsing and similar), MBA, so far, stays cool, i.e. at about 40-50% of the maximum heat load.

I am still utterly amazed with the machine...

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your post Typswif2fingers very much appreciated :)

Cynicalone
Jul 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
So I decided to see just how hot I could get the Air. I downloaded VLC 64-Bit and Handbrake 64-Bit. Hooked up my Apple Superdrive and popped in Seven on DVD.

I choose the default iPad settings and started the encode. Look at these temps after about a minute.

Definitely not quite while doing this. :D

Cynicalone
Jul 24, 2011, 12:14 PM
And here is another a bit further along in the encode.

Toasty and loud.

EDIT: And heres another about 20 more minutes into it.

EDIT 2: And here we are at the end.

Wrongshui
Jul 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
So... after using my 13" ultimate for a few days... it runs around 120-130F at all times in a house that is always 70F. Fans only at 2k RPM, but this heat is with only 1 firefox browser open using 2%CPU... nothing else running.

Is this normal? Seems it should be lower.

At any rate, I'll likely being going for the i5 256 off macmall and sending this one back, with tax, end up saving $300 or so.

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 01:29 PM
So... after using my 13" ultimate for a few days... it runs around 120-130F at all times in a house that is always 70F. Fans only at 2k RPM, but this heat is with only 1 firefox browser open using 2%CPU... nothing else running.

At any rate, I'll likely being going for the i5 256 off macmall and sending this one back, with tax, end up saving $300 or so.

Let the computer run all day. Might need to index itself. That was my problem. Once that was done, everything is much better. Your fan speed seems about right too. Keep in mind Firefox might to be using Lion to the best of its ability. Sure it would work, but not like it could be.

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 02:23 PM

Please do keep us updated if this continues or if it sorts itself out with time as happened to apple expert

Apple Expert
Jul 24, 2011, 02:54 PM
Please do keep us updated if this continues or if it sorts itself out with time as happened to apple expert

It will. Just be patient. :)

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
It will. Just be patient. :)

Are the speed of fans connected to the temp as in they will automatically speed up as the temp goes up?

I have smcfancontrol set to default on my mbp so i assume that this means that it lets the mbp sort itself out. I can also ramp up the fans manually. Is that recommeded. this is something that i would install on my mba

mwei
Jul 26, 2011, 10:24 PM
I also hear noise with my 2011 13" MBA i5 128GB even when it's idling. However, the noise is not constantly on. I am guessing it has to do with indexing of the hard drive although I thought SSD should be really quiet in the absence of moving parts.

Is there a way to check when os x is indexing? I'd like to find out whether mine has a defect and exchange it while I still can. Thanks!

Apple Expert
Jul 26, 2011, 10:47 PM

Are the speed of fans connected to the temp as in they will automatically speed up as the temp goes up?

I have smcfancontrol set to default on my mbp so i assume that this means that it lets the mbp sort itself out. I can also ramp up the fans manually. Is that recommeded. this is something that i would install on my mba

I leave all the settings at default. Sometimes the temp will get about 75C before the fan even goes about 2k rpm. It seems like this is pretty normal with these processors. Lately I've been hovering around 45-50C and 2k rpm, unless I do a heavy import then the fan will kick in.

iumylime
Jul 27, 2011, 09:35 PM
hi apple expert,

would you say the temperature is similar between the i5 and the i7 now (after all the indexing and what not). the area next to be "ESC" buttom is really hot.

Apple Expert
Jul 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
hi apple expert,

would you say the temperature is similar between the i5 and the i7 now (after all the indexing and what not). the area next to be "ESC" buttom is really hot.

Yes they are very similar. I'm currently using it right now (i7) and my wife is here doing her work and she's currently at 41C. Just using word. I'm at 44 using Safari and Mail. I think that's pretty similar, correct? Both fans are under 2k at the moment.

Apple Expert
Jul 27, 2011, 09:39 PM
Besides I wouldn't spend 1700 on a machine I wasn't happy with, when the i5 is less. My i7 isn't going anywhere. :D

entatlrg
Jul 28, 2011, 12:05 AM
Yes they are very similar. I'm currently using it right now (i7) and my wife is here doing her work and she's currently at 41C. Just using word. I'm at 44 using Safari and Mail. I think that's pretty similar, correct? Both fans are under 2k at the moment.

Do the fans kick in sooner on your i7 compared to the i5 when putting them under equal load?

(Wish someone could do the same test with the 11" MBA!)

Apple Expert
Jul 28, 2011, 12:06 AM
Do the fans kick in sooner on your i7 compared to the i5 when putting them under equal load?

(Wish someone could do the same test with the 11" MBA!)

No.

codyc1515
Aug 1, 2011, 06:14 PM
I got the MBA 13" i5 (128GB) and I have only noticed the fans power up once, and it was going full on. This was after really hammering it with some games on High Detail :cool:

rbn
Aug 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
hi,
what application is being used to monitor temps. I quite like this view.

Thanks

So I decided to see just how hot I could get the Air. I downloaded VLC 64-Bit and Handbrake 64-Bit. Hooked up my Apple Superdrive and popped in Seven on DVD.

I choose the default iPad settings and started the encode. Look at these temps after about a minute.

Definitely not quite while doing this. :D