PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air i7 (2011) Unboxing and First Look

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
What's going down guys

I just uploaded my complete high definition Unboxing and First Look video of the new 1.8GHz i7 MacBook Air. I thought it would be helpful to some if I shared it here.

You can check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2X-mFQr-BU

Enjoy. :)

joejoejoe
Jul 21, 2011, 02:55 PM
When you post your review can you test how the fans are in the i7? Does the laptop get really hot and noisy when you're watching HD videos or skyping?

Airforcekid
Jul 21, 2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for uploading love these videos also a heat review and gaming (graphics) video would be nice too.

Samsumac
Jul 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I found it boring...

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 03:14 PM
When you post your review can you test how the fans are in the i7? Does the laptop get really hot and noisy when you're watching HD videos or skyping?

I'll be sure to cover fan noise and heat. I haven't had much time to test the notebook yet, but I'll let you know!

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for uploading love these videos also a heat review and gaming (graphics) video would be nice too.

No problem, glad to hear you enjoyed it! :D

astrofaes
Jul 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the video - it's making me very jealous :)
I hope my online order arrives soon. The estimated delivery date is 2nd August :eek:

By the way, could you add the model numbers and details of your SSD and display to this thread please?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807
(all the instructions are in the first post)

Beaverman3001
Jul 21, 2011, 03:46 PM
Hope to see some WoW testing per usual your reviews!

clactonlad
Jul 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
Hey thanks for this! Any chance you could test handbrake conversion times?

Thanks!

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the video - it's making me very jealous :)
I hope my online order arrives soon. The estimated delivery date is 2nd August :eek:

By the way, could you add the model numbers and details of your SSD and display to this thread please?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807
(all the instructions are in the first post)

You're very welcome, it'll will be worth the wait!

I'll add numbers in there right now.

andmm
Jul 21, 2011, 04:55 PM
Is the 256GB ssd faster then the 128gb?
Does Lion support TRIM?

Markus80
Jul 21, 2011, 05:11 PM
How is the screen compared to the older MBA?

I was sold on MBA until I saw the screens at the store. I really want an ultra portable, reliable laptop with a good screen...

CubeHacker
Jul 21, 2011, 05:53 PM

I was sold on MBA until I saw the screens at the store. I really want an ultra portable, reliable laptop with a good screen...

Its the same screen as the '10 model. If you are looking for a quality screen, look elsewhere, such as the Pro's.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
Hope to see some WoW testing per usual your reviews!

Of course! :)

Gonky
Jul 21, 2011, 06:44 PM
Nice video, look forward to hearing how loud the fans are on the i7 :)

Samwise13
Jul 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
also battery life! I've been worried about it being poor on the i7. comparison to the i5 would also be good. Thanks for your work!

aristobrat
Jul 21, 2011, 07:51 PM
I'll be sure to cover fan noise and heat. I haven't had much time to test the notebook yet, but I'll let you know!
Thanks, that's what I'm most curious about.

That, and if they can do the 450mbps Wi-Fi like the current generation MBPs and iMacs can. :)

http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/05/how-to-activate-450-mbps-wi-fi-on-your-2011-spec-macbook-pro-or-imac/

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hey thanks for this! Any chance you could test handbrake conversion times?

Thanks!

No problem! I'm planning on including some performance tests in the Review video.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 21, 2011, 10:29 PM
Nice video, look forward to hearing how loud the fans are on the i7 :)

Thanks! :D

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 01:38 AM

Its the same screen as the '10 model. If you are looking for a quality screen, look elsewhere, such as the Pro's.

Yes, the screen seems to be the same as the last generation model. It's not as up to par with the MacBook Pro, but in my opinion it's usable for something like the Air.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks, that's what I'm most curious about.

That, and if they can do the 450mbps Wi-Fi like the current generation MBPs and iMacs can. :)

http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/05/how-to-activate-450-mbps-wi-fi-on-your-2011-spec-macbook-pro-or-imac/

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to investigate.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 11:49 AM
also battery life! I've been worried about it being poor on the i7. comparison to the i5 would also be good. Thanks for your work!

Sure thing!

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry, I found it boring...

not enough explosions?

Abyssgh0st
Jul 22, 2011, 01:37 PM
Please tell me the screen comments aren't suggesting that the 13" MBPs are better.

vty
Jul 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
Did I miss it, or have you conveniently left the MBA size (11 or 13) out of every title/post?

I had to watch the video to figure out you were reviewing a 13".

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 01:55 PM
Please tell me the screen comments aren't suggesting that the 13" MBPs are better.

In terms of panel quality, the MacBook Pro displays are better. If you look at a MBP display, no matter which model, and then directly back at the Air, you'll be able to distinguish a difference in color accuracy and viewing angle.

However, I personally wouldn't sacrifice the lower resolution / slightly better display of the 13" MBP over the higher DPI in the 13" Air. It should only really matter to those who, for whatever reason, are deciding on a hi-res 15" / 17" MacBook Pro instead which have a similar DPI value as the Air.

In other words, IF the 13" MacBook Pro had a 1440 by 900 resolution, I'd recommend that over the MacBook Air to those looking specifically for the best quality display.

CubeHacker
Jul 22, 2011, 04:06 PM

It depends which aspect of "better" you are referring to. The Air's have a higher PPI. The Pro's have better color accuracy and viewing angles. I can't comment on pixel refresh rates between the two, but I would guess they are similar.

So it all depends on which aspect you value more. I would personally never recommend the Air for anyone who needs any kind of color critical work. However as an LCD screen in general, its not half bad, especially considering its thickness.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 05:32 PM
Did I miss it, or have you conveniently left the MBA size (11 or 13) out of every title/post?

I had to watch the video to figure out you were reviewing a 13".

The whole title wouldn't fit :(

Yggbert
Jul 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
Wait so is the 11" also subject to this screen 'lottery' or just the 13"

This'll make me really paranoid now. I was leaning towards the 13" but I don't want a bad panel. :( The screen on my MacBook 2010 is pretty beautiful so I don't want it to feel like a downgrade. (despite the resolution bump)

Edit: I posted this in the wrong thread somehow. Doh.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 09:00 PM
Wait so is the 11" also subject to this screen 'lottery' or just the 13"

This'll make me really paranoid now. I was leaning towards the 13" but I don't want a bad panel. :( The screen on my MacBook 2010 is pretty beautiful so I don't want it to feel like a downgrade. (despite the resolution bump)

Edit: I posted this in the wrong thread somehow. Doh.

I'm encountering some screen issues at the moment. I'd hold off right now until we figure out some more information.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
It depends which aspect of "better" you are referring to. The Air's have a higher PPI. The Pro's have better color accuracy and viewing angles. I can't comment on pixel refresh rates between the two, but I would guess they are similar.

So it all depends on which aspect you value more. I would personally never recommend the Air for anyone who needs any kind of color critical work. However as an LCD screen in general, its not half bad, especially considering its thickness.

Here's my current issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1195183