Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Accel Junky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Took me a little bit to figure this out. You can drag the new application once installed to the Applications folder and it will be in your launchpad or you can drag the application to the Launchpad icon in the dock.

Unfortunately, I didn't think it worked so I tried both methods with MakeMKV which doesn't install to the applications folder oddly. Turns out the apps are added to the next blank page in your Launchpad.

I ended up adding MakeMKV twice and couldn't delete either one from within Launchpad. I had to go delete the app from the Applications folder and once I did that Launchpad allowed me to hold click on the MakeMKV icon and then click the X while jiggling.

Strange that Launchpad doesn't have a way to prevent two of the same apps from being added or that they can't be deleted from the launchpad unless deleted from the computer.

Accel Junky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Hmm, not sure sure on dragging to Launchpad. I ejected the .dmg after I did so and the app no longer launched from Launchpad...there was a question mark over the icon. I think if you drag an app from inside a .dmg to Launchpad, Launchpad links directly to that location and when you eject the dmg your Launchpad shortcut no longer works.

Sounds like you have to drag an app from inside a .dmg to the Applications folder if you want it to function after the dmg is uninstalled. I wonder why dragging it to the Launchpad doesn't also add it to the Applications folder and then use that shortcut?

jmass777

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
You can drag the new application once installed to the Applications folder and it will be in your launchpad or you can drag the application to the Launchpad icon in the dock.

I installed Adobe CS 5.5 on my MacAir, OS 10.7.2. There is no Applications folder in my dock, and I was told by a Genius that the reason for LaunchPad is that keeping lots of app icons in your dock uses up memory.

I individually dragged each CS 5.5 app icon to LaunchPad. None are in LaunchPad. Restarting made no difference.

?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.