Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_volume_purchase_program.jpg

Last week, Apple announced that it would be debuting a new volume purchasing program to allow businesses to purchase iOS in volume and distribute them within their organizations.

As noted by The Loop and in a brief announcement on Apple's site, the program has now gone live.
Businesses in the United States can now enroll in the Volume Purchase Program and purchase your apps in volume for distribution within their organization. You can also offer custom apps that provide tailored solutions to customers who have a Volume Purchase Program account.
The program supports not only standard App Store releases but also custom B2B apps. Apps custom-built for a company by outside developers or other businesses can be purchased privately through the new volume purchasing program.

Full details on how to participate in the program are available in a guide for businesses (PDF).

Article Link: Apple Launches Business App Store for Volume iOS App Purchases

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
So is this just for business, or is it anybody buying in large quantities? I'm getting misguided senses as I read the article over and over...

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
So is this just for business, or is it anybody buying in large quantities? I'm getting misguided senses as I read the article over and over...

Just for business.

The small part of this news is that companies can buy "stock" Apps for businesses, say a Financial Dash Board App, with a price break for large purchases. I understand there is a minimum price level and different qualifications to list your Business App.

The big part is that developers can now interface with businesses and offer customized "spins" of an application. So if I do a "Visual Part Ordering App" for automobile companies -- I could have a special version for "Ford", "GM", "Toyota", etc. Or I could do a different version of the above financial App for any customer that wants to pay for it.

This dovetails with the existing corporate iOS App distribution and provisioning tools, so Companies with large iPhone/iPad deployments can manage devices and Apps more efficiently.

Yeah, it's big news for both large enterprise customers and for business App developers.

HP and RIM are going to have a fight on their hands to keep control of the mobile corporate market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.