Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navygreen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I was working for the old lady next door helping her clean out her basement. She was throwing out a lot of junk, but one box caught me eye. She had an original TAM, new in box, that she had bought 14 years ago and never got around to setting it up. She gave it to me for free and now I'm debating what to do.

Do I sell this thing on Ebay right now? Its never been touched and is still sealed in the original packaging. If so, how much should I expect to get for it?

OR, do I hold on to this thing for a few years and let it appreciate a little more?

Take into account Im a poor college student and this money would go a long way.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
Por Qué

...new in box, that she had bought 14 years ago and never got around to setting it up.

just wondering really, no Conspiracy Theory here. :eek:

thought these were delivered and setup by the person from apple that showed up in the limo? were they ever just 'dropped off' or left in the box?

if so, and it's really real, that should be worth a semester or three on ebay. best of luck.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
thought these were delivered and setup by the person from apple that showed up in the limo? were they ever just 'dropped off' or left in the box?.

The ones that were sold off on clearance were sent out just in a box. Probably sooner than that, too. The white glove service didn't last for terribly long, IIRC.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
The ones that were sold off on clearance were sent out just in a box. Probably sooner than that, too. The white glove service didn't last for terribly long, IIRC.

got it, many thanks. i was up to my ears in commodore and other systems at that time. just remembered the white glove thing being a really big deal.

at this point, i'm just happy when UPS/Fedex doesn't break stuff throwing it on my porch... how the times have changed!

navygreen33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
oh yes, its real. I too thought it was suspicious that a 75 year old woman had an untouched collector's item as valuable as this just sitting in her basement. I have a theory though. The box still has the shipping label on it, addressed to her husband, and he died around that time. I think he never got a chance to open it. kinda sad.

I think I'm gonna post this thing on ebay. I'll post a link in case anyone is interested.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I think it's pretty useless, It's a collectors item but it won't work better than an iPad as a computer. Sell it, you probably need the money (you will probably regret it since you're a geek but I don't think it's worth it)

Also, if you sell it and get a pretty remarkable amount of money I would at least give your neighbor 10-30% of what you got on eBay.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
For one I wouldn't open it, something sealed like that is pretty damn rare. It's still valuable in complete condition but sealed is another story.

I understand you're a student but you might want to hold onto it, it's only going to go up in value. There will be times in the future where you'll be broke and an unexpected bill comes up (Car repair, medical, etc).. having something around that's valuable that can bail you out like this item is pretty nice to have. Though I'm not in any position to tell how badly you need the money now.

You'd also get to enjoy it as well and have it as a conversation piece, it's certainly one of the most unique computers in history.

Last edited:

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
just wondering really, no Conspiracy Theory here. :eek:

thought these were delivered and setup by the person from apple that showed up in the limo? were they ever just 'dropped off' or left in the box?

if so, and it's really real, that should be worth a semester or three on ebay. best of luck.

very clever perry mason

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
I was working for the old lady next door helping her clean out her basement. She was throwing out a lot of junk, but one box caught me eye. She had an original TAM, new in box, that she had bought 14 years ago and never got around to setting it up. She gave it to me for free and now I'm debating what to do.

Do I sell this thing on Ebay right now? Its never been touched and is still sealed in the original packaging. If so, how much should I expect to get for it?

OR, do I hold on to this thing for a few years and let it appreciate a little more?

keep it!!!!

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Sell it. You never know when interest will drop. I agree with the other poster that if you realize a lot of money you should give some to your neighbor. Most likely she has no idea of the value and it's a good neighborly deed.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I would sit and think about it for a while, especially if you're a bit of an Apple nut. I have a real hard time parting with older machines and only in a blue moon have a flash of nonchalance and finally give them up. So, don't sell it immediately, but give it some thought. If you do decide to sell it, waiting probably won't help all that much. As someone else mentioned, you never know when the nostalgia will wear off for people. I'd say it's as sellable today as it will ever be (though that's just conjecture). =) Good find, though. That's awesome. I would have flipped a lid.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Never heard of any that were still sealed in plastic, post pics! Doubt there were many buyers at the original $7k+ plus price tag. Think most of them got sold through the discount sale for $1999.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not Ebay

If it's original condition, you are looking at $$$$$ My friend is a collector, but is in New York at the moment. If you have not sold it, could you PM me please?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You bbbroke ththe seal?! Oh the humanity!

That must have been difficult, though you can now say for a certainty it's not a box of rocks. ;)

It'll still fetch a sizable sum. I'd love to have one for my collection, but I suspect it's going to go higher than I can justify. I added it to my watch list, just in case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.