PDA

View Full Version : Boot Times?

izzisdashiz
Jul 21, 2011, 03:02 PM
How long is it taking for you to Boot up to where you can use the OS? Mine is taking me around 3.5 minutes. Apple screen takes 40 seconds itself then I have to wait for a few programs to open (Chrome, Adium, Mail). This is really really slow.

Vidnez
Jul 21, 2011, 03:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

15 secs. SSD

A week ago I have installed Lion GM on a WD 500 GB HDD and I dont remember taking that long to boot up, maybe 30 sec.

TheJing
Jul 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
How long is it taking for you to Boot up to where you can use the OS? Mine is taking me around 3.5 minutes. Apple screen takes 40 seconds itself then I have to wait for a few programs to open (Chrome, Adium, Mail). This is really really slow.

With SL: 31 secs
With Lion: 59 secs

izzisdashiz
Jul 21, 2011, 03:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; es-es) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

15 secs. SSD

A week ago I have installed Lion GM on a WD 500 GB HDD and I dont remember taking that long to boot up, maybe 30 sec.

Thanks, everything has been really buggy for me. Freezing up between spaces, key stroke lags. Should I just go ahead and try to re install?

Billymac19
Jul 21, 2011, 04:06 PM

SL= 12-14 secs Startup...shut down=1-2 sec

Lion= 30-40 secs startup...shut down 30-60 secs

strausd
Jul 21, 2011, 04:09 PM
SL = 14-18 seconds
Lion = 7-10 seconds

120GB OWC SSD, home directory on 2TB Caviar Black.

basher
Jul 21, 2011, 04:11 PM
15 secs startup on 2011 iMac with Apple SSD. Under Snowy it was taking 22 secs.

kppolich
Jul 21, 2011, 04:20 PM
Mid 2009 15" MBP, 2.66 Core Duo, 8GB RAM

320 GB stock hdd - 42 seconds on 10.6.7
120GB Corsair SSD - 35 seconds on 10.6.7
120GB Corsair SSD - 16 seconds on 10.7

gentlefury
Jul 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
Mac Pro SSD 270r/270w

under 15 seconds from the time you click restart to the time it is ready to use.

From the time it chimes at startup about 7.

Macjames
Jul 21, 2011, 04:28 PM
Boot: 19 seconds, 256GB M4 Crucial SSD.

BennyLecter
Jul 28, 2011, 01:36 AM
My Issue: Adium.

I received my MBA 2011 (13" i7 upgrade) with Lion pre-installed.

Right away, I tested it, and noticed reboot speed really fast, as my previous MBA 2010; so far.. so good.

Then I installed FireFox, and immediately after Adium 4.x (I installed one version prior to the recent one because of the plug-in MSN for emoticons compatibility only works in that one)

Then I accidentally tested the reboot, and noticed the following:

- Initial reboot time, before login screen (regular MBA quite fast speed)
- Once I entered my PWD, it took the MBA between 15-20 seconds to be ready, actually it appeared to be frozen, like hanging in the same log-in screen.
- After that delay I had the "usual" MBA speed for general use, browsing, apps, etc.
- Since I was changing several settings on the Mac, I thought I did accidentally something wrong, so I decided to to a "factory reset".

for a MBA, specially with the "fastest" processor, this was for me kind of unacceptable, although I do not normally reboot the mac, this is something that is definitely wrong.

Then...

- I did a "factory reset" using recovery partition, deleting my current partition and re-installing Lion (it took about 3.5 hr to download it again, I thought an image or something should be like ready to be used).
- Before installing anything, I tested several times the reboot, and the speed was awesome again!!
- I install again Fire Fox and Adium; I did not changed any setting.
- I tested the reboot time, and I started to have the exact same behavior, with the big 15-20 sec delay once I entered my pwd in the log in screen.
- At this point I had two suspects... although it was not really logic have it for a couple of very standard apps.
- I did for third time the "factory reset", believe or not, the MBA downloaded AGAIN Lion;
- I only installed firefox at the very beginning.
- I tested reboot time, and had my usual excellent speed.
- I installed some other apps, such as Microsoft Office 2011;
- on each app installed, I tested the reboot time, and I still had excellent time.
- At this point my only suspect is Adium.
- I downloaded and installed Carbon Copy Cloner, I am tired on downloading each and every time Lion using the recovery "partition".
- For now, I will leave the Adium installation for tomorrow; In case something goes wrong, I will have my CCC backup to get my previous stage quite fast.

Does anyone have experienced similar situations with Adium?

I will post tomorrow my results after installing Adium.

Best Regards

Baunkjaer
Jul 28, 2011, 03:04 AM
Around 15 sec - SSD

vivek2701
Jul 28, 2011, 03:28 AM
lot of people are complaining about boot times. i too had this problem and believe me, i am very finicky when it comes to performance of my machines. i tried many things but ultimately a fresh install did the trick. Deleted everything, formatted my HD, installed fresh and dint use time-machine for backup. instead i manually copied all the required stuff from time machine.
After installation, i did sys permissions repair, deleted boot caches using onyx (beta), and....... done.. now my MBP boots in 3-5 secs. m happy again.
Also i feel all my apps are fast and much more responsive, have had no freeze whatsoever till now.
hope this helps .:)

kirky29
Jul 28, 2011, 03:43 AM
My 2011 MBP 750GB 5200HDD - about 30-50seconds.

It seems slower than Snow Leopard, but once it's loaded, opening the apps etc all is super quick, and loads faster than Snow Leopard.

Besides, it's rare that I restart, the Mac is on 24/7.

hekokimushi
Jul 28, 2011, 03:56 AM
19sec on SL64bit - 6.5 gear spins
16sec on SL32bit - 1.5 gear spins
16sec on Lion - 2.2 gear spins

OCZ SSD, CLEAN Lion install no migration. 8GB pretty standards stuff

dilgit
Jul 28, 2011, 08:01 AM
Lion boot - 15 sec
Lion shutdown - 14 sec
Boot Windows 7(with Parallels 6) from within Lion - 16 sec

Crucial 256GB SSD M4 Sata III

Phoenix32890
Jul 28, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have not checked the actual boot times, but this will give you an idea. Under Snow Leopard, the little gear booted up after turning 9 revolutions. Now it takes 19.

"Sleep" used to kick in as soon as I hit the command. It now takes about 19 seconds. The shut down is still very speedy though.

BennyLecter
Jul 28, 2011, 01:48 PM
UPDATE for MBA 2011 13" i7 (pre-installed Lion),

I am still not able to test the Adium installation to determine if this was my problem, however, I think I found my problem source in Lion with my MBA; I actually did this without noticed that this was the re-boot delay issue. I normally change the desktop background on my computers, from whatever standard image to a black (custom color), Believe it or not this is why I am having this re-boot delay, it sounds almost stupid I know, but I was able to recreate this with the apple support guy. A ticket has been opened and I am waiting for a resolution.

The issue:
- If I change my desktop background to a customized color, after I entered my pwd, the computers hangs/delay about 15 secs.
- If I revert the change, to the original Lion mac "Andromeda Galaxy" image, there is NO delay at all, I have a super quick "ready to use" speed.
- I can duplicate this at will.

The tests with apple support:
- I created a Test account with admin rights, and changed from the "Andromeda Galaxy" to a custom black solid color, delay issue was present at reboot, around 15 secs. (same happened with other customized colors)
- I changed the custom black color to the same "Andromeda.." and no issue at all.
- I was asked to reboot the mac with the SHIFT key pressed, and apply the same background tests, and this was even worst, now it took the mac to be ready around 20-22 secs.
- I changed the background to some other standard images, and NO issue at all.
- I changed the background to some other standard solid colors, and NO issue at all.

Apple Support conclusion:
Reboot delay issue when using customized back ground colors.

For now, I will keep either standard solid color, or standard apple images.

Hope this help others and try to test if this is happening as well with other combinations.

I will proceed soon with Adium installation, and let you know the results, although I feel positive that the original and real issue was always this desktop background color change.

Best Regards.

UPDATE*** Adium Installation***

Just installed Adium 1.4.1 and reboot speed is just perfect!!, the real issue is the one I already mentioned about changing desktop background to a customized solid color.