Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gguerini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
How is the performance of Win7 on Bootcamp running on the new MBA 13' i5/i7?
I'm seriously thinking about ditching my MBP 13' 2010 in order to get a MBA 13, but I'd like to know how it does with Win 7. I'm dev and I use Visual Studio 2010 and other heavy apps on Win.

Anyone?

mantisimo

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I'd be interested to know also.

I'd be interest to know this as well. I've been evaluating both the MBP 2011 15" but the new MBA 13" really looks tempting. It should run Visual studio on bootcamp very well in theory. The only thing lacking is the graphics card but for development this shouldnt be an issue. The screen size has also has me deliberating.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I'm using the 2010 MBA now (and have the new one on the way). I run Win7 with Bootcamp and Parallels all day with Outlook - it works very, very well. No complaints.

gguerini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I've been using Win7 + Visual Studio 2010 on my MBP 13' late 2010, but I have 8gb so it's not fair to compare, but the new i5 is much better than my "old" C2D 2.16... The point is, if the MBA 13' 2011 runs Fusion with Win7 + Visual Studio 2010 fine (or better than my machine), on Bootcamp will be much much better. I just wanted to confirm before I go ahead and buy it. :p

thefirstone

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
I've been using Win7 + Visual Studio 2010 on my MBP 13' late 2010, but I have 8gb so it's not fair to compare, but the new i5 is much better than my "old" C2D 2.16... The point is, if the MBA 13' 2011 runs Fusion with Win7 + Visual Studio 2010 fine (or better than my machine), on Bootcamp will be much much better. I just wanted to confirm before I go ahead and buy it. :p

With Bootcamp, you are booting into Windows, so why will it be an issue? Running VMWare or Parallels, with Windows 7 might be though.

gguerini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
I'm using the 2010 MBA now (and have the new one on the way). I run Win7 with Bootcamp and Parallels all day with Outlook - it works very, very well. No complaints.

Do you ran your Bootcamp partition on Parallels? How is that? No glitches?

Sometimes I just need Win7 do to some basic stuff.. but sometimes I need to work. If Parallels (or Fusion) runs well this setup, I would go for it. Bootcamp when I need power, Parallels when I don't, but without having a duplicate the Windows installation.

Let me know please!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.