Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krogers34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I just got the base 13" MBA. If anyone has any questions about it I will see if I can help.

ronin510

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Posted this somewhere else, but maybe you can help:

Can you go into Activity Monitor (Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor) and tell us how many CPU graphs it has under the CPU tab>CPU Usage?

People have been arguing whether the new Airs have Turbo Boost and HyperThreading. If it shows 2 CPUs then no HT, 4 CPUs then yes.

Thanks!

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APX515CKT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

@ronin: it has been established that they have both hyperthreading and turbo boost.

I personally doubt the usefulness of the turbo boost in such a heat constrained environment, but it is there. there are many other threads discussing this.

OP: after the lion recovery partition and when all is said and done, how much usable space do you have?

krogers34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Yes it does show 4 CPUs.

It looks like around 105GB. I didn't look right away, but all I have put on the computer so far is 11 GB of music and am at 94GB.

Heat is moderate. I have been basically using the internet since I got it. Have Spotify open and am playing music through that right now. It is kind of warm but nothing near my early 2008 MB (finally an upgrade, haha) Fan noise is very minimal. I literally had to put my ear to the computer to hear it.

Boot times I didn't clock but they are for sure fast. Overall impression is this is the perfect computer for me. Everything I was looking for. I have only had it for a few hours, but it is awesome so far.

Only had one issue. My portable TB harddrive isn't be read. I am not sure why. I think it is because the USB ports don't give off enough power and it needs me to plug in the other dangle but I can't since it is too far away. I used to plug in only one on my old MB so until I can find another cord that works I won't know for sure.

Samsumac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Hi!!Can you plug in an external screen and work it in a dual desktop layout? Just to get an idea on how smooth it is etc. Imagine word, safari with tabs, itunes music and a couple of other programs running kind of work flow while changing around windows .

I hope i am not asking too much :)

Thanks!!

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
On Turbo Boost . . .

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

This is a utility that should help answer this question. It is the only one that I know of for Mac OS that would all you to see the variation in the cpu speeds. You will need to run something on one of the processors that stresses the cpu, and watch before/during/after. Something like the command "openssl speed" maybe, or one thread on Handbrake or something. Should go from 1.7ghz to . . . something, if it is Turbo Boosting.

Once you run, you will select "show system info". On the system information pane select "more info". It should show you the number of active cores, and the current frequencies.

krogers34

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I don't have the adapter yet, but as soon as I get it I can let you know how it runs. I was planning on doing that already so as soon as I order the adapter I'll let you know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.