Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13" MBP next in discontinuation line?

• Yes

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters

jarruemota

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Hi :)

Do you guys think that Apple will discontinue the 13" MBP by replacing it for the 13" MBA? :confused:

I've had this feeling now that they've killed the white macbook for costumers by replacing it for the new entry-level 11" MBA or actually by making the iPad a more affordable choice for costumers and making it the entry-level "mac". I don't see the big difference between the 13" MBA and the 13" MBP. The difference is mainly the additional ports that the MBP has, however, when they release the thunderbolt display I assure many people will prefer a MBA with it than a 13" MBP. Also, the optical drive it has, but Apple is making the impossible to make the optical drive a relic, and make digital downloads a must.

I don't know if with next year's update they'll discontinue it, but I see that coming in the near future. :apple:

mariov

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Hi :)

I don't know if with next year's update they'll discontinue it, but I see that coming in the near future. :apple:

Very likely in a few years. and maybe all pros remaining then (15 and 17) will be like the air; slim, ssd only, no optical drive.

Apple once killed floppy drives, serial ports, CRT monitors... it is sure that it will kill regular hard drives.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nah. The air will be the MacBook and the pro will be slightly thicker "air" with a mid range discreet gpu ala 2011 Mac mini

Duke15

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Canada
It wont happen anytime soon, nor will it loose the optical drive anytime soon, theyre not going to have no 13inch laptops with optical drives

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I think you will eventually see Quad-Core processors on the 13" MacBook Pro and 1440x900 displays. You must realize that the 13" MacBook Pro also has onboard gigabit ethernet, FireWire 800, and an optical dual-layer DVD-writer/DVD/CD drive. The MacBook Pro is also expandable to a whopping 16GB of RAM, or a 600GB solid-state drive or a 1TB hard drive. You have two SATA drive bays in the MacBook Pro if you remove the optical drive and can install two drives in the computer.

So, the MacBook Pro still offers quite a bit more in expandability. With the MacBook Air you are getting a fairly capable machine with ultimate portability, with it being less that 1/3 the weight of the MacBook Pro.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I think the line they drew now between the 13" Air (Consumer/Business) and 13" Pro (Media Pros/Gamers) is exactly where it should stop. Theres much more to the 13" Pro than "DVD and Hard Drive" and it seems the Air lovers can't see why it is that the Pro line shouldn't be "thinned out".

A big Apple peave of mine is when this obsession with "thin" starts making people act as if the MBP is somehow "too fat" to exist. Just because a rail thin Keira Knightley exists doesn't mean curvy Jessica Alba is fat and should be shot into space.

Last edited:

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

MacBook pro only 15 and 17 inch doesn't seem that far fetched

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.