PDA

View Full Version : Paid for i5, got i7

cyclix
Jul 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
I thought that I bought the $1,599 i5 with 256 SSD. Apple sales rep gave me a 5% discount and sent me out with a MBA that I thought was an i5/256SSD but upon checking the About this Mac, here's what I found:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir4,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Anyone else out there been this fortunate?

So far, this MBA seems much faster than the i7 MacBook Pro that I've been using for a few months.:)

striker33
Jul 21, 2011, 05:03 PM
I thought that I bought the $1,599 i5 with 256 SSD. Apple sales rep gave me a 5% discount and sent me out with a MBA that I thought was an i5/256SSD but upon checking the About this Mac, here's what I found:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir4,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 1.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Anyone else out there been this fortunate?

So far, this MBA seems much faster than the i7 MacBook Pro that I've been using for a few months.:)

Screenshot or it never happened.

melterx12
Jul 21, 2011, 05:06 PM
don't they scan the barcode on the sticker of the box?

MacRumorUser
Jul 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
Screenshot or it never happened.

What would a screen shot prove?
It will show him owning an i7
How does that disprove him paying for an i5. ;-)

If it did happen enjoy your new machine OP.

Abstract
Jul 21, 2011, 05:09 PM
Well it also happened to someone else here.

I believe it. People make mistakes.

cyclix
Jul 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
Well, I didn't believe it either because I specifically requested the $1,599 model. As I understood the specs from Apple, the i7/256SSD was supposed to be special order only through the Apple online store. I didn't even know that they'd shipped any i7 model to stores.

JD92
Jul 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
This is the second time I've heard of this happening... strange

ravic
Jul 21, 2011, 06:49 PM
What does the box say?

jns2001
Jul 21, 2011, 06:53 PM
Any thoughts of paying the difference? Some poor soul at the store might have to fork out part of their salary for their mistake.:(

mwhities
Jul 21, 2011, 06:55 PM
You should take it back in good faith. I would. Yes, I really would.

clyde2801
Jul 21, 2011, 06:59 PM
Well, I didn't believe it either because I specifically requested the $1,599 model. As I understood the specs from Apple, the i7/256SSD was supposed to be special order only through the Apple online store. I didn't even know that they'd shipped any i7 model to stores.

The plastic placard for the 13" MBA in my apple store listed options for base 13", 256 i5 and ultimate. I had to initially argue with the blackshirts that they had them, and got back to my office when one called to apologize and admit they were wrong. 5% discount for my time, almost paid for the i7 upgrade.

eckthroi
Jul 21, 2011, 07:02 PM
Any thoughts of paying the difference? Some poor soul at the store might have to fork out part of their salary for their mistake.:(

I agree- honesty is always the best route

OSMac
Jul 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
They scanned my box ...

When I was in the store today their was a lot of confusion on Macbook Airs
as they are still selling the last generation.
I was given the wrong model but once he scanned it I knew by the price a mistake was made.

srxtr
Jul 21, 2011, 07:11 PM
I'm also curious about this, isn't the barcode on the box, or do they scan a separate barcode that's not on the box?

Either way, I think you got lucky, and like others it would be cool if you went back and paid the difference... only if you can afford it.

eUnique
Jul 21, 2011, 07:15 PM
Lol at all the people saying to return it or pay to difference.

(It's not going to get you into heaven, but it will make you poorer.)

keyser
Jul 21, 2011, 07:18 PM
I agree- honesty is always the best route

you might want to check Apples financial situation again... I would never pay that!

TheSuperSteve
Jul 21, 2011, 07:20 PM
Keep it! Its the employees mistake, let him/her deal with it. Geez, people here are either filthy rich, stupid or both.

ghsNick
Jul 21, 2011, 07:25 PM
you might want to check Apples financial situation again... I would never pay that!

It could come back to bite him in the but if he needs a repair or something and they notice in the future?

Be honest.

yusukeaoki
Jul 21, 2011, 07:29 PM
lucky man lol

OSMac
Jul 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
Why did they give a 5% discount to begin with?

eckthroi
Jul 21, 2011, 07:49 PM

Honesty is not a question of who has money or who does not, it is a matter of personal integrity. At what point do we allow theft/dishonest gain to be acceptable? I am not trying to preach but I find it funny that there are some people here who want to make negative comments to those of us who say they think it should either be returned or paid for. My statement in no way criticized anyone for what I find to be immoral decisions. I merely stated that in my opinion honesty was the best route. We are each allowed to make our own decisions on what we consider to be immoral and moral, if I do not critique your voiced opinions then please just do the same regarding mine and others who think differently on the matter.

Thanks

wdaleherring
Jul 21, 2011, 07:52 PM
Lucky!

hcho3
Jul 21, 2011, 07:53 PM
I honestly do not believe it....

Sensamic
Jul 21, 2011, 07:55 PM
I dont believe it. He could post a picture of an I7 air found on google and then his ticket of purchase where it states he bought an I5.

Lets be serious.

wdaleherring
Jul 21, 2011, 07:57 PM
I honestly do not believe it....

Why would someone randomly decide to lie about something like this? What could they gain from it?

srxtr
Jul 21, 2011, 07:57 PM
To those who don't believe him, why would a MacRumors newbie waltz in here and waste time lying to us? To make us jealous?

smeade
Jul 21, 2011, 08:12 PM
Just to clarify this event: How much did you pay? Did you pay $1519.05 (plus tax)?

activ8
Jul 21, 2011, 08:15 PM
Return it or I'm telling Steve!

sporadicMotion
Jul 21, 2011, 08:16 PM
Right on. Enjoy! Apple has 76.2 billion in cash and holdings. They'll be ok. It was an Apple error :D

jns2001
Jul 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
To those who don't believe him, why would a MacRumors newbie waltz in here and waste time lying to us? To make us jealous?

People behaves so differently these days, we are getting a 3rd World mentality.:eek:

KPOM
Jul 21, 2011, 08:27 PM

It's illegal to dock someone's pay for such an error. If it was part of a pattern of incompetence, etc. it could be grounds for dismissal, but ordinarily if an employee scans a product into the OCR and charges what comes up there would be no way that person would be held accountable (unless it was obviously incorrect, such as $15.99). If the machine was mislabeled (i.e. a Core i7 was packed in a Core i5 box) it wasn't the sales associate's fault, anyway. They don't open shrink-wrapped boxes.

If it was a case of being undercharged for a properly labeled product, I'd explain to the store what happened to clear my conscience, but chances are pretty good they'd waive the difference. Apple runs customer-focused stores.

wdaleherring
Jul 21, 2011, 08:34 PM
Return it or I'm telling Steve!

I bet if you could indeed get in contact with him personally he'd say, "keep it."

jns2001
Jul 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
It's illegal to dock someone's pay for such an error. If it was part of a pattern of incompetence, etc. it could be grounds for dismissal, but ordinarily if an employee scans a product into the OCR and charges what comes up there would be no way that person would be held accountable (unless it was obviously incorrect, such as $15.99). If the machine was mislabeled (i.e. a Core i7 was packed in a Core i5 box) it wasn't the sales associate's fault, anyway. They don't open shrink-wrapped boxes.

If it was a case of being undercharged for a properly labeled product, I'd explain to the store what happened to clear my conscience, but chances are pretty good they'd waive the difference. Apple runs customer-focused stores.

You must be a lawyer, I am a simple white collar worker, I would feel guilty about this. But if you or the OP don't it is fine by me, I am not here to preach righteousness, it is all in your mind btw.

Taank
Jul 21, 2011, 08:51 PM
You should take it back in good faith. I would. Yes, I really would.

I don't know about you, but for me, it is a good 30 minutes to the nearest Apple store. 30 minutes there, 30 minutes back, 10 in the store... thats over an hour of my time...gas...traffic..

gtf outta here. He's not the one who made the mistake.

Don't get me wrong... if I noticed something in the store, or if someone gave me back too much change or something of that sort... thats different. Taking that thing back to the store to be "honest" is a big old HASSLE. And no one likes to be hassled... especially due to someone else's mistake.

Duke15
Jul 21, 2011, 09:25 PM
You got lucky, keep it, enjoy it...when life gives you lemons, make lemonade, dont return the lemons!

KPOM
Jul 21, 2011, 09:35 PM
You must be a lawyer, I am a simple white collar worker, I would feel guilty about this. But if you or the OP don't it is fine by me, I am not here to preach righteousness, it is all in your mind btw.

No, I'm not a lawyer, and I do think that if he was mis-sold something he should at least inform the store. I am saying, though, that a mis-sale isn't necessarily the fault of the sales associate, particularly if the box was labeled as a Core i5.

tcassio
Jul 22, 2011, 07:40 AM
Apple stores make mistakes all the time. I purchased a 27" Imac with 4 gig of ram. I also purchased a 4 gig ram upgrade, I paid for 4 gig upgrade. When I got home and checked, I had a total of 12 Gig of ram.

Lord Appleseed
Jul 22, 2011, 07:57 AM
Lol at all the people saying to return it or pay to difference.

(It's not going to get you into heaven, but it will make you poorer.)

But its definitely the right thing to do.

I bet if you could indeed get in contact with him personally he'd say, "keep it."

I'd say he'd be more like: "Cool story bro"

nood1es
Jul 23, 2011, 04:23 PM
Just happened to me now as well. Exchanged my 11" i5 128gb refresh for a 256gb and gave me a i7 256 instead. Only paid difference of storage. Guy scanned it twice too. :eek:

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 04:41 PM
:mad: guess its faulty packaging idiots marking i7s as i5s :roll eyes: but I probably would imagine this might cause conflict when it comes to warranty repairs, as the laptop won't match the specs on the serial. They might give you the "you voided your warranty when you decided to modify your macbook." It might end up costing you more in repairs if that happens than the free i7 upgrade.

JD92
Jul 23, 2011, 05:31 PM

rkahl
Jul 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
Who cares? Apple has this already accounted for. I think they know what they're doing.

Annerz
Jul 23, 2011, 05:37 PM
Sounds good. Have fun with it!

kappaknight
Jul 23, 2011, 05:38 PM
:mad: guess its faulty packaging idiots marking i7s as i5s :roll eyes: but I probably would imagine this might cause conflict when it comes to warranty repairs, as the laptop won't match the specs on the serial. They might give you the "you voided your warranty when you decided to modify your macbook." It might end up costing you more in repairs if that happens than the free i7 upgrade.

You can believe that if you want but it's not going to happen.

Chiuy
Jul 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
If anything happens to your MBP, it will void your warranty because it does not have the specs.
It happened to me when I bought a Windows desktop and they gave me a different desktop that was faster and better. When it did break down, they refuse to fix it because I have voided their warranty because of the specs different.

mrs1986
Jul 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
Keep it! Its the employees mistake, let him/her deal with it. Geez, people here are either filthy rich, stupid or both.

I can see that you may not pay for your things and probably not work at all, it doesnt care how cool or nice do you think is a work, the pay is the pay, and probably he or she must pay for that mistake, and probably loose the job though :(

mrs1986
Jul 23, 2011, 05:52 PM
If anything happens to your MBP, it will void your warranty because it does not have the specs.
It happened to me when I bought a Windows desktop and they gave me a different desktop that was faster and better. When it did break down, they refuse to fix it because I have voided their warranty because of the specs different.

Thats also true and probably he will loose the warranty if he keep it, and probably, he can keep it if he go to the store and tell the guy about the mistake, it happens some times :o

makinao
Jul 23, 2011, 07:11 PM
People behaves so differently these days, we are getting a 3rd World mentality.:eek:

And exactly what is a third world mentality?

altecXP
Jul 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
And exactly what is a third world mentality?

That the world doesn't owe us something.

mediaones
Jul 23, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just happened to me now as well. Exchanged my 11" i5 128gb refresh for a 256gb and gave me a i7 256 instead. Only paid difference of storage. Guy scanned it twice too. :eek:

I thought they don't stock 11" i5/256 in stores? just the ultimate 11" i7/256

nood1es
Jul 23, 2011, 09:51 PM
Thats what i thought, i called ahead to make sure they had a 11" 256 and the girl said yeah. I asked her if it was a i7 and she told me i5, so I was sorta confused. Walked in exchanged my i5/128gb for what I thought was a i5/256 but it was really an ultimate 11". So yeah..