Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Despite recent rumors that iTunes Australia would be arriving by the end of April, The Sun Herald reports that music industry sources are predicting the Australian iTunes to arrive by mid-June.

Regardless, the article notes that Apple has started booking advertising for the Australian iTunes store in music magazines -- so the wait should not be too long.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Mid-June still isn't very long. I'm glad Apple is expanding, but it's too bad they aren't expanding to more countries... I realize legal issues get in the way though.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
These are the top 10 countries for number of PCs
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/med_per_com

1. United States 161,000,000
2. Japan 40,000,000
3. Germany 27,640,000
4. China 20,600,000
5. United Kingdom 20,190,000
6. Korea, South 18,615,000
7. France 17,920,000
8. Canada 12,900,000
9. Italy 10,300,000
10. Australia 9,000,000

They should try and get everyone on that list. People can't use iTMS without a PC.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
gekko513 said:
by mid June ... that includes the end of April, doesn't it?

Well ist another promiding sign. Here's hoping the number of songs available and price per song make it attractive

brentonbrenton

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2002
any fellow australians here that are feeling their excitement waining about the launch of the australian itms. this must be the umpteenth prediction of a launch date and now i'm serisously not that much interested. [hopefully that'll change again]

waiting and waiting, as a student i think i'll be just as happy to continue buying 1 copy of an album and borrow it between friends, play it over and over during the course of a week - be completely over it and then pass it back.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
broken_keyboard said:

2. Japan 40,000,000
3. Germany 27,640,000
4. China 20,600,000
7. France 17,920,000
8. Canada 12,900,000
9. Italy 10,300,000
10. Australia 9,000,000

They should try and get everyone on that list. People can't use iTMS without a PC.
I'm actually surprised that the numbers are that low.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
If Apple is confident enough to be preparing advertising for the Aussie iTMS, they will probably be ready to announce it will be coming in "whenever" on April 28th when the announce some other iTunes stuff (theoretically) as they did with the preannouncement of iTMS Canada.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
brentonbrenton said:
any fellow australians here that are feeling their excitement waining about the launch of the australian itms. this must be the umpteenth prediction of a launch date and now i'm serisously not that much interested. [hopefully that'll change again]

waiting and waiting, as a student i think i'll be just as happy to continue buying 1 copy of an album and borrow it between friends, play it over and over during the course of a week - be completely over it and then pass it back.

Yeah I've definitely filed ITMS Australia under the I'll believe it when I see it part of my brain. Every month there is another ITMS Australia rumour - I just don't care anymore!

Disko

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
All my sources are saying 'mid may'... but then again, i've got it on good advice that Apple have been looking around for quotes on a May 31st event with a weblink and so on. This could well be the iTMS AU Launch.

Once i've got more clarity on those details, i'll post it up on AppleTalk.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Disko said:
All my sources are saying 'mid may'... but then again, i've got it on good advice that Apple have been looking around for quotes on a May 31st event with a weblink and so on. This could well be the iTMS AU Launch.

Once i've got more clarity on those details, i'll post it up on AppleTalk.

Mid May...mmm...they say anything about prices?

OwenMan

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2005
I think its great coming to Australia, its about bloody time! I just hope they good Australian songs on there.

I was also wondering, are the songs offered in the American Store different to the ones in the European stores?

browder

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2005
Another positive indication?

Just went to browse through the other iTMS' and found that I no longer get presented with the country warning (that the iTMS isn't availble in Australia yet). Maybe this is an indication that it is indeed coming?

And, yes, the European and US stores do have different tracks - it all depends in the licensing terms from the record labels.

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
MrSmith said:
So how about Japan? It's not that far from Australia :)

Although I'm in Australia, and would love to see iTMS Australia, I do think Japan should be next. It seems wrong that there are no Asian countries in iTMS yet...

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
risc said:
Yeah I've definitely filed ITMS Australia under the I'll believe it when I see it part of my brain. Every month there is another ITMS Australia rumour - I just don't care anymore!

Yes, I have to admit also that there's been so many false starts to this one that my enthusiasm has seriously waned.

I'll believe it when I see it - and then I'll probably be all over it :)

White Fire

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2003
Behind you!!!
Perhaps it might be announced in June, but it is unlikely to be released until July. Apple is likely to be waiting for the Free Trade Agreement with the US to be passed in Parliament, which will not happen until the government gains the majority in the Senate on 1 July.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I'll believe it when I see it too :rolleyes:.

It's just that its taken so long that it makes me worry. With our ridiculous legislation (+the TFA), constant shafting on the prices of music, total ignoring of exchange rates, I'm worried that Aus is going to be the weakest iTMS yet. We'll definitely be the most expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up without legends like ACDC, Paul Kelly, Crowded House because the Aus record companies want to push the pathtic Australian Idol dropkicks.

And if one more bloody Neighbours tart attempts a music career.......:mad:

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
broken_keyboard said:

2. Japan 40,000,000
3. Germany 27,640,000
4. China 20,600,000
7. France 17,920,000
8. Canada 12,900,000
9. Italy 10,300,000
10. Australia 9,000,000

Even if those are figures from 2000, that means that just less than one in every two people in Australia have a computer!

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
curmi said:
Although I'm in Australia, and would love to see iTMS Australia, I do think Japan should be next. It seems wrong that there are no Asian countries in iTMS yet...

Hi - First Time post From Kanagawa in Japan !!!
Im an Aussie so I want Australia to get iTMS first and hopefully cheap (99c a song).....Japanese music companies are putting up the prices of Cd's while sales are falling (last year, the industry banned the import of cheaper CD's made in China and Korea - the industry fell 30%)......The ipod is very popular here but downloading songs to your mobile phone is getting more and more popular...Yahoo.co.jp is going to start a music iTMS like service (they beat ebay in Japan and Yahoo is a very very popular provider in Japan) so iTMS better get here this year or risk coming in too late....By the way, there's talk that Apple is having trouble with the Japanese Music companies here cause they want at least 240 yen for a song....

rickmac2005

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2005
.Andy said:
I'll believe it when I see it too :rolleyes:.

It's just that its taken so long that it makes me worry. With our ridiculous legislation (+the TFA), constant shafting on the prices of music, total ignoring of exchange rates, I'm worried that Aus is going to be the weakest iTMS yet. We'll definitely be the most expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up without legends like ACDC, Paul Kelly, Crowded House because the Aus record companies want to push the pathtic Australian Idol dropkicks.

And if one more bloody Neighbours tart attempts a music career.......:mad:

I don't think AC/DC have signed any deals for download music anywhere, so it probably will be excluded. Crowded House shouldn't be a prob tho'!

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
ITMS Aust...

Yep, here we go again... Another mindless rumour popping up because its getting a bit slow on the overall newsfront from Apple... seems that all is quiet before the launch of Tigger... because that's what Tiggers do best!!

Anyway I hope that ITMS Aust, if it ever does eventuate has an add on for NZ... I mean most of the 'talent' in Australia comes from NZ anyway (much like most of the talen in the US comes from Canada)... And I hope Flying Nun are there offering songs :D :D :D

curmi

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2000
Melbourne, Australia
AppleinJapan said:
Hi - First Time post From Kanagawa in Japan !!!
Im an Aussie so I want Australia to get iTMS first and hopefully cheap (99c a song).....Japanese music companies are putting up the prices of Cd's while sales are falling (last year, the industry banned the import of cheaper CD's made in China and Korea - the industry fell 30%)......The ipod is very popular here but downloading songs to your mobile phone is getting more and more popular...Yahoo.co.jp is going to start a music iTMS like service (they beat ebay in Japan and Yahoo is a very very popular provider in Japan) so iTMS better get here this year or risk coming in too late....By the way, there's talk that Apple is having trouble with the Japanese Music companies here cause they want at least 240 yen for a song....

Note that Apple has released a mobile phone Apple store service. So maybe Apple plan to offer download of music to mobile phones from that service? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.