Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
This has already been posted by the dr but it's buried 359 posts into the Where is Tiger thread so I've pulled it out here.

The Stereophonics are playing at the Apple Store on Regent St on 19 April at 8pm Link here

Riding high on the success of their chart-topping single ‘Dakota’ and number one album ‘Language. Sex. Violence. Other?’, Welsh trio Stereophonics will be dropping into the Apple Store, Regent Street, on April 19th to showcase live tracks from all five of their albums. The show starts at 8.00 pm but customers are advised to arrive early as space will be limited.
Tuesday April 19th, 8.00 pm

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
Great to hear about a major UK band going to the Apple store, I wonder if they are mac users?

Also how many people will be allowed in? Plus will they briefly close the store while the band is set up and everything is organised?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Is anyone going along to this tonight?

I'm meeting a friend in town tonight so will wander by and see what's happening. I've read varying reports about whether you need tickets or not.
If not, and the queue isn't silly, then I might hang around. I get there and there's 500 people, then I won't.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I went past the Apple Store about 6.30 and there was a queue but security said there was no problem in getting in from there so my friend and I waited.

Slightly odd set-up. If you had an invite (apparently these had been mailed to select people - don't know who!) you were allowed in from 7pm (store closed then) and were taken upstairs. The band were set up at the front of the theatre.

The rest of the crowd (about 300 or so allowed in) were downstairs with 4 large NEC screens showing the theatre and view of lots of people upstairs (no drinks or anything obviously up there). They did hand out a few spare passes to people at the bottom of the stairs which led to much pushing and shoving by some louts tho no harm done.

About 815, we were all welcomed to the Apple Store and told that this is the first of a monthly series of concerts in Regent Street, Live in London, which will be recorded and put on iTunes. The plastic passes (which allowed you upstairs) were iTunes gift cards with 10 free songs on them. Stereophonics postcards were handed out to those downstairs with three free songs on them. The Stereophonics gig will be on iTunes from 28 April.

The sound was pretty good but there wasn't really the atmosphere downstairs of a live gig since although you were hearing it live, watching on video wasn't the same. I suspect it was better upstairs. It was amusing to note that by the time they got to the second song, many downstairs guests were surfing on the iMacs rather than watching the concert. We stayed for 30 minutes or so and then went to get something to eat...

It'll be interesting to see who's there next month...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Applespider said:
I went past the Apple Store about 6.30 and there was a queue but security said there was no problem in getting in from there so my friend and I waited.

Slightly odd set-up. If you had an invite (apparently these had been mailed to select people - don't know who!) you were allowed in from 7pm (store closed then) and were taken upstairs. The band were set up at the front of the theatre.

The rest of the crowd (about 300 or so allowed in) were downstairs with 4 large NEC screens showing the theatre and view of lots of people upstairs (no drinks or anything obviously up there). They did hand out a few spare passes to people at the bottom of the stairs which led to much pushing and shoving by some louts tho no harm done.

About 815, we were all welcomed to the Apple Store and told that this is the first of a monthly series of concerts in Regent Street, Live in London, which will be recorded and put on iTunes. The plastic passes (which allowed you upstairs) were iTunes gift cards with 10 free songs on them. Stereophonics postcards were handed out to those downstairs with three free songs on them. The Stereophonics gig will be on iTunes from 28 April.

The sound was pretty good but there wasn't really the atmosphere downstairs of a live gig since although you were hearing it live, watching on video wasn't the same. I suspect it was better upstairs. It was amusing to note that by the time they got to the second song, many downstairs guests were surfing on the iMacs rather than watching the concert. We stayed for 30 minutes or so and then went to get something to eat...

It'll be interesting to see who's there next month...

Sounds OK but slightly corporate -- my guess is that those upstairs would have been music biz types and liggers being wooed by iTMS people... I'll also keep an eye out in the future to see who else is playing.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Blue Velvet said:
Sounds OK but slightly corporate -- my guess is that those upstairs would have been music biz types and liggers being wooed by iTMS people... I'll also keep an eye out in the future to see who else is playing.

edit

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Blue Velvet said:

Didn't look that corporate - certainly not dress wise. Lots of 20-somethings not in designer/expensive gear. I suspect quite a few went to PR agencies - and I think the Stereophonics gave out some to fans registered with their site which was fair enough. What was interesting was the number of people who hadn't heard about it until the day before.

Giving them to the Apple store people does sound odd; surely they could have gone anyway. Tho' I guess there's a distribution issue when you find yourself with them that morning - giving them to the first x people in the queue would have been better. To be honest, the upstairs wasn't that busy and they could have got more people up there but I think they were trying to keep people away from shelves with products on them for security reasons.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
asif786 said:
Sorry - that's my bad. I meant he was giving them away to the guys in ted baker next door..

seems a bit odd- why give it to the staff next door as opposed to your own customers?

I know this because I was behind a couple of the ted baker guys while they phoned O'Gradys CELLPHONE to come down and let them in (security wouldnt allow them).

maybe he got some free clothes heh :eek:
I will never bad-mouth an Apple Store employee! I secretly hope to become one of them one summer... But I will say some things about the London store are a little strange... I remember on the opening the security guys round the side of the building had already gotten their hands on goody bags and were selling them off!!

Anyway... ooooOOOO! Bands! :D I have a lot of free time this summer :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.