PDA

View Full Version : trouble installing leopard on imac G5

Bee-Tee
Jul 21, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for solutions / advice as I am trying, very unsuccessfully, to install Leopard on my G5 iMac.

My iMac is current running panther. When I insert the the install DVD into my iMac I select the install option. I am then prompted to restart in order to commence installation. My computer restarts and install doesn't take place.

I've attempted to boot off the DVD (holding down the 'c' key at start-up) but again, nothing happens

My iMac exceeds the system requirements for installation and I have a black install dvd for leopard.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Hoorah
Brendan

Nameci
Jul 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
Have you "repartitioned" and "erased" the drive?

adcx64
Jul 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
Any USB or FireWire hard disks connected? If so, disconnect them. Ive had the same problem with a PC I was working on before I made the switch to Mac.

MAC MAN JW
Jul 22, 2011, 07:59 AM
Hello,

I'm looking for solutions / advice as I am trying, very unsuccessfully, to install Leopard on my G5 iMac.

My iMac is current running panther. When I insert the the install DVD into my iMac I select the install option. I am then prompted to restart in order to commence installation. My computer restarts and install doesn't take place.

I've attempted to boot off the DVD (holding down the 'c' key at start-up) but again, nothing happens

My iMac exceeds the system requirements for installation and I have a black install dvd for leopard.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Hoorah
Brendan

Go to system preferences(in os x panther)>startup disc>(click)Mac osx dvd>restart. then it will boot in to your osx dvd to install (make sure your dvd is in the drive when you go to startup disc):apple::)

Bee-Tee
Jul 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
Many thanks to everyone who has posted so far; still no luck!

I'm beginning to suspect the issue is with the install disk. It doesn't appear when I do a 'c' key restart, or target disk mode.

It does appear in the system preferences under 'start-up' but again it just restarts.

Is there a way I can ascertain whether my install disk is corrupt?

Hoorah
Brendan

VanneDC
Jul 22, 2011, 04:40 PM
Triply, try holding down option on restart ,that should let you select the install DVD,

Cheers