PDA

View Full Version : Launchpad key not working. Anyone else?

arthurbath
Jul 21, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm loving the little 11" Air. Things seem to be going smoothly except for an issue with the Launchpad key (F4). It not launching Launchpad. I don't know why. I assigned a service keyboard shortcut to F4, and using Fn+F4 called the service properly, but hitting the key just doesn't call Launchpad. Is anybody else getting this?

WardC
Jul 21, 2011, 09:59 PM
The key is for Mission Control under 10.7 (formerly spaces), not Launchpad.

onthecouchagain
Jul 21, 2011, 10:01 PM
Launchpad kind of sucks. It's cumbersome to use with a mouse, I feel. Might take some getting used to, I suppose...

h00ligan
Jul 21, 2011, 10:02 PM
The key is for Mission Control under 10.7 (formerly spaces), not Launchpad.

There are both. And no problem here.

h00ligan
Jul 22, 2011, 03:39 PM
Launchpad kind of sucks. It's cumbersome to use with a mouse, I feel. Might take some getting used to, I suppose...

I agree, I find it completely useless.

Sotto
Jul 27, 2011, 04:28 AM
I do have the same problem, e.g. ^F4 is working but not F4.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

Rgs,
Sotto

Tymmz
Jul 27, 2011, 04:47 AM
I do have the same problem, e.g. ^F4 is working but not F4.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.

Rgs,
Sotto

this might have something to with your setting of how your F-keys work. either it's F4=F4 or F4=its function. you can set it in system preferences...

Sotto
Jul 27, 2011, 05:05 AM
By activating this "USe F1,F2..." I can call Launchpad via F4, but all the other like light, Mission control requires FN+Fx

Strange behaviour....

fatbarstewar
Jul 27, 2011, 05:14 AM
I wish mine didn't work :)

Tymmz
Jul 27, 2011, 05:16 AM
By activating this "USe F1,F2..." I can call Launchpad via F4, but all the other like light, Mission control requires FN+Fx

Strange behaviour....

maybe repairing permissions and a restart will sort your pc out.

mkelly
Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 AM
maybe repairing permissions and a restart will sort your pc out.

No. No, no, no.

Please don't go around spreading that "repair permissions" voodoo. It's not the cure-all for problems on the Mac. In fact, you almost never need to use it.

Here's a good Daring Fireball article (from 2006!) on it:

http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/repair_permissions_voodoo

Tymmz
Jul 27, 2011, 03:20 PM
No. No, no, no.

Please don't go around spreading that "repair permissions" voodoo. It's not the cure-all for problems on the Mac. In fact, you almost never need to use it.

Here's a good Daring Fireball article (from 2006!) on it:

http://daringfireball.net/2006/04/repair_permissions_voodoo

you are probably right and i have no clue what happens inside a pc, but when problems like these occur i run "repair permissions" followed by a restart. all this won't hurt and is worth a shot. i won't change my mind based on a "blog post" from 2006.

so i will keep spreading the voodoo...

JonHigh
Jul 29, 2011, 03:19 PM
I have the same problem - even called Apple Tech support for about 30 minutes - couldn't figure out what the problem is. :(

Another strange thing is my email (both Mail 5 & Outlook 2011) is losing focus (goes back to another application) when I type in the TO: field - both programs.

JonHigh
Jul 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
Well I can state what doesn't work to fix the problem:

* Changing any and all related System Preferences - including resetting all of them.

* Reinstalling Lion (yes I actually did this)

Please let me know if you find anything.

aquastubacca
Aug 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3200680?start=0&tstart=0

no thanks to those that spammed this thread with their opinions of the feature