Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d3li9ht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hello all, I'm a newbie in Macrumors :)

I started using Mac in November 2010 with my first purchase, MacBook Air 11" with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Soon after bought the laptop, I installed Windows 7 using Bootcamp, in fear of not being able to adapt to the Mac environment. So now I have 86.88 GB for Mac HD and 16.17 GB for Bootcamp.

But it turns out that I rarely used the Windows, except for Matlab use (which later I substitute by installing native Matlab app for Mac), and writing & compiling my research paper in LaTeX. I write paper using English & Japanese, and sadly I never had a success compiling LaTeX document in Japanese using any of Mac native LaTeX app :(

Anyway, the Bootcamp setup was quite a hassle, so I have no desire to throw it away for the time being.

The problem is, as of installing Lion yesterday, it didn't recognize my Bootcamp partition, either in the booting process or by BootCamp Assistant. When running BootCamp Assistant, it asked me to create new partition for Windows by splitting 120 GB Mac HD. However, using iStat Pro widget, it is clearly shown that my BootCamp partition is alive & still there.

Hopefully I could get some help in this :confused:
Thank you...

AquariusIV

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I have same problem with this guy, and btw OS Lion does not detect my HDD disk. Any solution?
Sorry for my bad language!

GuerillaTech

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
I'm not too sure that this'll help, i myself buying my first Mac right around the same time, but it's worth a try. did you try to boot up your recovery partition and try Verify Disk and Repair Disk?

whooda4

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
I had to hold option for about 45 seconds for it to come up. It added a recovery partition to it but it was still there
it would show macintosh,bootcamp, and recovery

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Same problem here, and Parallels won't even work either. :(

It tells me "Your virtual machine may run slow because virtualization support is disabled on your Mac.

For optimal performance, please enable hardware virtualization support in your Mac's firmware."

Then it fails to load the driver completely. Argh.. I want my Windows partition.

torpy

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
Sydney + Los Angeles
My partition had problems too, it's mainly because Lion resizes your mac partition to add the recovery one. This seems to completely screw up the partition table.

Can you tell me what the output of 'diskutil list' is if you type that into Terminal?

d3li9ht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Can you tell me what the output of 'diskutil list' is if you type that into Terminal?
Ok here it is:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 97.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
4: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 23.3 GB disk0s4

By the way, I was confused to find Bootcamp has 23.3 GB... bcoz I had already resize the partition into 16.7 GB. It stinks of problem :(
What do you think..?

d3li9ht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
SOLVED! Somehow

I rebooted and hold down Option Key, and I could see three disks: MacHD, Windows, and Recovery. When I chose Windows, it booted into it, giving message that my Windows partition is "dirty", doing recovery or something like that (you know, the usual procedures in blue screen), and when it finished, the MBA automatically rebooted and Voila! The reFIT boot screen was there.

Now I can access the Bootcamp partition :D
(although, curiously, the supposedly-shrinked 16.7 GB partition was detected back to before - 20.38 GB, and the free space has gone down from 7 GB to only 2.90 GB...)

Anyway, the case is somewhat solved :)

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

16.7 GB is way too little for Win 7. I'm surprised Windows even allowed itself to be installed with such little space.

Anyway, I just got done installing Lion and my Boot Camp partition is working perfectly. I have my 750GB drive divided in half for each OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.