PDA

View Full Version : WTF 2011 MacBook Air Can't Eject Super Drive?

LeakedDave
Jul 22, 2011, 01:52 AM
Trying to install boot camp. It boots and asks for driver cd. There is no way for me to eject the windows 7 cd for the driver cd because the eject button is gone. What do I do.

Aldaris
Jul 22, 2011, 01:55 AM
Can't you drag the disc icon to the trash and eject?

Are you using 'remote disc/sharing' or external superdrive?

ShiftClick
Jul 22, 2011, 01:58 AM
Or right click on disc for contextual menu followed by a left click on eject?

MacRumorUser
Jul 22, 2011, 02:00 AM
The eject key is now the power key according to another thread.

Aldaris
Jul 22, 2011, 02:07 AM
The eject key is now the power key according to another thread.

Yep, checked out the pic on the product page. Can you not eject it using UI (desktop right clicky).

LeakedDave
Jul 22, 2011, 02:27 AM
I'm in boot camp boot loop.

marsk
Jul 22, 2011, 02:38 AM
How about try hold the left mouse button when rebooting.

Also try CMD + E to eject disc in Mac OSX

MacRumorUser
Jul 22, 2011, 02:39 AM
Just as your computer boots up force eject the cd by holding down the left click on your mouse / trackpad. That should force eject the cd and you can then put in your driver cd.

Kavrocks
Jul 26, 2011, 01:34 PM
Just got my new Macbook Air 2011 version. My first Mac ever, I too had this problem and when I googled it I found this thread, funny enough I had been a member here for months just reading what people had to say about the Macbook Air before I made my purchase.

You can eject a disc from the Macbook Air SuperDrive through the Disk Utility menu which I found in the About This Mac section.

MJedi
Jul 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
Press and hold F12?

KPOM
Jul 26, 2011, 03:44 PM
Press and hold F12?

That's now the power key. I noticed this, too. You need to use the contextual menu, drag it into the trash, or the contextual menu/Explorer eject option in Boot Camp.

MJedi
Jul 26, 2011, 06:04 PM
That's now the power key. I noticed this, too. You need to use the contextual menu, drag it into the trash, or the contextual menu/Explorer eject option in Boot Camp.

I just noticed on the 2011 MBA that the F12 key is now used for Volume Up, not Eject as in the 2010 MBA. There is a dedicated Power Button, which was also on the 2010 MBA.

http://images.apple.com/macbookair/images/features_backlit_main.jpg

dihydrogenoxide
Jul 26, 2011, 06:41 PM
I read that on macs with an eject button, holding it during a reboot will force eject the drive, so if there is a key combo for the mba, (CMD-E???) you could try that.

MBABuyer
Jul 26, 2011, 07:27 PM
Use the disk utility under "utilities" on the launchpad.

Click on the superdrive on the left side and then click eject disk.

Nermal
Jul 26, 2011, 07:32 PM
Use the disk utility under "utilities" on the launchpad.

Click on the superdrive on the left side and then click eject disk.

How can that work when...

I'm in boot camp boot loop.

Having said that, MRU's advice should work; hold the trackpad/mouse button while rebooting and it should eject. Or just unplug the drive.