PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall Lion on 2011 MBA without iLife

michaelb82
Jul 22, 2011, 02:46 AM
Hi guys,

Not too sure if anyone knows the answer to my question with the MBA with Lion being so new.

I'm waiting on my MBA to be delivered and want to reinstall it without iLife as I won't be using it and would rather have a fresh install instead of just removing the apps afterwards.

Does the 'Internet Recovery' for Lion allow for you to choose not to install iLife or is there any other way I can reinstall Lion without iLife included?

Thanks in advance! Very excited to start using my new MBA when I get it! :)

Mick

ender21
Jul 22, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hi guys,

Not too sure if anyone knows the answer to my question with the MBA with Lion being so new.

I'm waiting on my MBA to be delivered and want to reinstall it without iLife as I won't be using it and would rather have a fresh install instead of just removing the apps afterwards.

Does the 'Internet Recovery' for Lion allow for you to choose not to install iLife or is there any other way I can reinstall Lion without iLife included?

Thanks in advance! Very excited to start using my new MBA when I get it! :)

Mick

Pretty much exactly as you suggested. The first thing I did on the new MBAs my wife and I got today was do a clean install without iLife.

In the App Store the three iLife apps appear as apps you have to "Accept" into your Purchased Apps, and then you have the option to Install them at your convenience.

michaelb82
Jul 22, 2011, 03:59 AM
Many thanks for your reply. :)

Pretty much exactly as you suggested. The first thing I did on the new MBAs my wife and I got today was do a clean install without iLife.

Thought I was the only one who liked to control my installs so much.. good to know I'm not. :)

In the App Store the three iLife apps appear as apps you have to "Accept" into your Purchased Apps, and then you have the option to Install them at your convenience.

Does this mean any other Mac using the same Apple ID will see the iLife products in the Mac App Store is it it restricted to only certain Macs?

aussie.damo
Jul 22, 2011, 05:36 AM
Many thanks for your reply. :)

Thought I was the only one who liked to control my installs so much.. good to know I'm not. :)

Does this mean any other Mac using the same Apple ID will see the iLife products in the Mac App Store is it it restricted to only certain Macs?

I believe it is restricted to each machine. I saw a message about creating a specific hardware ID when I updated iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand.

michaelb82
Jul 22, 2011, 09:06 AM
I believe it is restricted to each machine. I saw a message about creating a specific hardware ID when I updated iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand.

Thanks for your help! :-)

ntrigue
Sep 12, 2011, 01:46 AM

A correction. I redeemed my iLife Apps on a MacBook Air that I ended up returning. I went to purchase for a MBP iPhoto 9.1 and it just said "Install" card has never been charged.

ritmomundo
Sep 12, 2011, 02:18 AM
I did a clean install of Lion as well. No iLife. I use Aperture instead of iPhoto, and I have no use for the other iLife programs. I wish it came with iWork instead of iLife; would've saved me 80 bucks.

ntrigue
Sep 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
I installed AppTrap then deleted iLife applications and "moved files to trash." I am anal but this was good enough for me.

skyton
Sep 15, 2011, 07:32 AM
I had to reinstall for another reason, but it was an unexpected surprise to be able to choose if I wanted to add the ilife apps back on.

They are all just sat waiting in the MAS at the moment undownloaded!