PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth doing a clean install of lion on new MBA

badgerman
Jul 22, 2011, 03:28 AM
I see you can do it using Internet recovery.

Just interested before I wait fo it to be downloaded if there is any advantages to this. I probably wont use GarageBand. Anything else Incan not instal or delete to save space in lion?

Gordy
Jul 22, 2011, 07:37 AM
I see you can do it using Internet recovery.

Just interested before I wait fo it to be downloaded if there is any advantages to this. I probably wont use GarageBand. Anything else Incan not instal or delete to save space in lion?

I'm interested to see what the status of this is now.

This covers some of it: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/lion-diving-into-your-recovery-partition/

trondah
Jul 22, 2011, 07:47 AM
Be advised that you might lose ilife unless you "redeemed" it in appstore.

mike21190
Jul 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
It takes a very long time to do. I just did it last night. Took around 3 hours to download and install. I have a pretty good internet connection here.

Gordy,
How do you redeem iLife?

Cynicalone
Jul 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
I did a clean install on mine to remove Garageband and iMovie, saving over 1GB of space.

I have a super fast connection and it took less than 30 minutes to download and install.

Without a good connection this good be a pain in the ass.

bobr1952
Jul 22, 2011, 09:31 AM
^^
Is that a normal savings? I don't like doing installs so I would probably not even consider it unless I could save 10 percent or more--so for a 128 Air, that would be over 10GBs. I'm sure that is a pretty ridiculous number--how much space is utilized on a brand new Air?

Cynicalone
Jul 22, 2011, 09:38 AM
^^
Is that a normal savings? I don't like doing installs so I would probably not even consider it unless I could save 10 percent or more--so for a 128 Air, that would be over 10GBs. I'm sure that is a pretty ridiculous number--how much space is utilized on a brand new Air?

You won't/can't save space the same as you did before. There isn't a customization option to remove stuff. Snow Leopard and all OS X installs before gave you the option to remove languages and printers and just about anything that you didn't feel you needed. Lion doesn't do that. So unless you really want to get rid of the iLife crap there is no point in doing it.

That is why I did it while it was new. I wanted to just start with the apps I wanted.

ntrigue
Sep 12, 2011, 01:42 AM
What's the disadvantage to trashing GarageBand etc versus a clean Internet Restore?

aziatiklover
Sep 12, 2011, 01:48 AM
What's the disadvantage to trashing GarageBand etc versus a clean Internet Restore?

Not much of a difference. I remove iLife 09 and only kept iPhoto which I don't even use. Might as well removed all apps that I don't use. Have anyone delete chess game app on os x? I'm thinking about deleting it.