Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I have read all the other threads and have yet to see any of the 13" i7 ultimates with toshiba ssd/flash storage.
Am I mistaken?
I am going to order a 13" ultimate i7 1.8 256gb from either amazon or macmall to avoid taxes. I plan to order the moment they are in stock.
The deal is I am in europe so once my air is bought and shipped to me via reshipper I am pretty much stuck with it. I dont care how small the difference is or whether or not I will feel the difference, I will definitely be less than satisfied if I do not get a samsung blade.
Of course there are no 100% guarantees but I am really wondering if any 13" ultimates have come with the toshiba ssd and if yes then where and when were they purchased?

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
It would be very nice if this is true but I'm afraid not.

I vaguely recall seeing a poster with 13" with Toshiba 256GB yesterday, but I'm not entirely sure.

marrzie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
macmall will get them July 28th eta. I asked if they could open it to verify samsung and he said nope. LOL oh well worth a try.:

Has anyone had any luck simply calling local apple store and they can check if they have the ultimates in stock?

At least that way I could play ssd lottery until I got the samsung one. To me its is worth it to pay the taxes just to be sure.

TheEmpty

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2011
NYC
There has been a lot higher percentage with SM models, but the Toshiba models are also in there, OR people are misreporting was size they got. We'll see!

honggil

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
can someone fill me in?
what difference is there between the samsung / toshiba ssd or screen?:confused:

stevenpa

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
There have been a few with Toshiba SSDs. I ordered one as well, fingers crossed for a Samsung.

As for the displays they are pretty similar the Samsung has better angles, the LG has been white / contrast which will be important if color accuracy is important.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Here is my xbench.

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 74

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
How do I find out which SSD and which display are in it?

It sounds like double Samsung is the best combination.

mds1256

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Thats for that. Obviously your SSD is faster, but not by much. Just glad SSD are getting faster in general. :)

I was surprised to be honest.

Although the speed is noticeable, at the apple store on a 13" MBA i5 Samsung SSD i copied the iWork09 folder from applications onto the desktop and it took around 45 seconds give a take. I done the same copy and paste on my MacBook Pro i5 Vertex 3 SSD and it took 19 seconds.

rds

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
I was surprised to be honest.

Although the speed is noticeable, at the apple store on a 13" MBA i5 Samsung SSD i copied the iWork09 folder from applications onto the desktop and it took around 45 seconds give a take. I done the same copy and paste on my MacBook Pro i5 Vertex 3 SSD and it took 19 seconds.

How much storage in each? If your Vertex has more memory – thus more memory chips – it will be faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.