Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I recently picked up a Wallstreet G3 300 MHz with 192 MB of RAM and a 4 GB HD with the 20x CD-ROM drive, OS X Jaguar, Office X, etc, and the power cable, minus the battery for 100. Was this a good deal? Anyone know of some good 3rd party batteries under 100 new? What should I upgrade, I know I wanna upgrade the HD and the RAM, but is there anything else I should look into? I really REALLY love this machine. :)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
That sounds a lot like mine when I first bought it.

Upgrades/additions I made:
  • G4/500 with 1 MB of L2
  • 512 MB of RAM
  • replaced the 4 GB drive with an 8 GB (larger drives are going to need to be partitioned*)
  • added the 4 GB drive via an expansion bay module** (my battery is dead too)
  • added a CD-RW expansion bay drive***
Other things that you could want...
  • USB/Firewire PCMCIA card
  • Airport Extreme PCMCIA card
As I still use a Newton, the old serial port works great for syncing with my Address Book and adding apps and files.

All and all, I am a very happy Wallstreet user.

* Mac OS X can only be installed on a volume/partition that is 8 GB or smaller that is at the beginning of the drive in Wallstreets. Also some larger (IBM) drives produce a magnetic field which can lock a Wallstreet into a hard sleep mode (the sleep switch is by the hard drive), so be sure that the drive is compatible. This isn't a problem if the drive is installed in the expansion bay though.

** Expansion bay drive kits are getting hard to find these days.

*** Expansion bay CD-RW drives are even harder to find.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Is the G4 500 card worth the boatload of money Sonnet wants for it? Also how does it help like the video screen savers, Flurry runs badly on this. x.x Also I'm having trouble when I put it to sleep in X.2.3 and try waking it back up the screen comes on but the backlight wont. >.<

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'm not too worried about burning CDs. I am gonna put a 30 GB HDD into it and half a gig of RAM. I wanna find the DVD-ROM drive so I can watch movies on it If anyone has some parts for it that you wanna sell/trade qoute me some prices and I'll see what I can do.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Reanimation_LP said:
Is the G4 500 card worth the boatload of money Sonnet wants for it? Also how does it help like the video screen savers, Flurry runs badly on this.
That depends on what you want to do with your PowerBook. I do web and graphic design and edit audio (and sometimes encode video for the web) and the G4 helps out a lot in those tasks. But I don't play games or watch movies on this system (I use my iMac which has an ATI Rage 128 in it and runs those task much better).

Flurry is very graphics intensive, and 4 Mb of VRAM with a Rage LT isn't enough to really power it (even with a G4).

But all and all, this PowerBook has been running so great that I just can't justify getting a new system. At the time that I put the G4 in it I was planning on getting an eMac... that was a few years ago and so far no eMac (or Mac Mini).

x.x Also I'm having trouble when I put it to sleep in X.2.3 and try waking it back up the screen comes on but the backlight wont. >.<
I had the same problem with 10.2.1. Back then I ended up grabbing a file from a 10.2.0 instillation to fix the problem. I believe Apple fixed the problem for later versions (10.2.6 and later).

My system never sleeps now though. But the screen dims out after a while, the drive spins down, but it is always awake as I'm pretty much a 24 hour a day person (I have no set sleeping habits, so neither do my computers ;) ).

As for Sonnet's card, not only is it very reliable (this post should give you an idea about that), but it is also cooler than the original G3 that came with the system (you don't feel as much heat from behind the keyboard and the fan hasn't fired up since installing the G4).

The thing is, is a 10.2/G4 system going to serve you well into the future? I've already gotten a number of years out of this system, so everything has paid for itself (and much more). But you're starting now. Well it pay off over the next couple years for you? That is hard for me to say.

It is really a judgment call. Do you think it'll be worth it? Specially doing the things you want to do with it.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Reanimation_LP said:
I wanna find the DVD-ROM drive so I can watch movies on it
Oh, odds are that you won't be watching full screen if you get one... and a G4 would help. The DVD decoder card that originally shipped with Wallstreets isn't supported on Mac OS X. I would imagine watching them in a small window would be fine... but full screen could be a problem.

As for Parts... I've had good luck with PBParts.com (and the last time I checked they had DVD-ROM drives).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.