Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I created a petition here to bring back old Expose in Lion as an option for those who miss it. Honestly there is no argument here. Look below and tell me which is better.

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-22%20at%203.06.06%20AM.png

vs.

Screen%20Shot%202011-07-22%20at%203.05.36%20AM.png

*Note that I am aware that the second image is App Expose in Lion. But if they were different windows in SL they would look like that*

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
All you have to do is use 3 fingers and swipe down and it displays exactly the same as your second image.

Now, that wasn't hard was it lol

Jason

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Your wrong thats App Expose. In that picture it shows App Expose. But lets pretend those were different windows of different applications. The old expose IS NOT BACK.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
All you have to do is use 3 fingers and swipe down and it displays exactly the same as your second image.

Jason

You can't do that from within Mission Control and have it fully show all the windows. If you can't find your content then you can't move it around to different spaces.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008

Jason

But only for the currently active app and it's windows. In the screenshot it shows it with multiple Finder windows but that's just an example of how it should look. We should have the option to have it display like the second screenshot but for all currently open apps with all of their windows.

seetheforest

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
But only for the currently active app and it's windows. In the screenshot it shows it with multiple Finder windows but that's just an example of how it should look. We should have the option to have it display like the second screenshot but for all currently open apps with all of their windows.

Mission Control and App Expose work so well together. Think of Mission control like a refined search for Expose. So you always start with Mission Control, quickly pick your app of interest and then launch App Expose. It is almost always faster for me to do this than to hunt and peck through evenly sized and shaped windows from a number of different applications.

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
I have yet to determine what is so bad about only seeing the application windows for the application you want. Is it that hard to switch to an application via command+tab or Mission control and then find the window. With old style expose, there was no order and you had all sorts of windows in there. If you're going looking for a window I would hope that you know what application uses that window. One extra step is nothing when it's a swipe.

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Some people like Mission Control. I am not denying this. But there should at least be an option for people like us. Once I cannot use Snow Leopard anymore, I am highly considering moving back to Windows. I cannot stand Mission Control. Hopefully I can get 2-3 more years out of Snow Leopard.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
It is almost always faster for me to do this than to hunt and peck through evenly sized and shaped windows from a number of different applications.

I admit I like the new representation of the lower screen in MC. The scaled sizes of the windows along with their icons makes it much easier to pick your target window vs. SL and the tiny text beneath each one.

But... I can't wrap my head around the fact that full screen apps get their own unique space "up top". For us folks that really never used spaces and live in a single desktop this is confusing.

webpoet73

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
Alpharetta, GA
Move back to Windows? Even Windows7 does not have anything like Expose. That's pretty radical, but in two years, you'll be using Windows 8 with the great tiled interface!

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
Move back to Windows? Even Windows7 does not have anything like Expose. That's pretty radical, but in two years, you'll be using Windows 8 with the great tiled interface!

Windows interface is different but it works. You can easily see your minimized applications. I liked Mac OSX Snow Leopard Expose more of course. But when I get forced to upgrade and I have no option I will find another option. In theory Snow Leopard could be supported as long as Lion because Lion has more external differences to SL where as SL to Leopard was more internal. But I know that Apple will find a way to screw users like me over in 2 years time.

askabob91

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
Signed.

For those of you who are saying use App Expose if you want to see all the windows, this is difficult for people like me who don't have multi-touch. All my hot corners are already used up and I don't have another shortcut to put App Expose on. This is very annoying.

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I signed, but like platypus63 said, also make sure to submit feedback to Apple.

I did. Maybe we should all email steve jobs? lol

Also, when I had Vista (where I had no problems) I upgraded to Windows 7 because I could. No features or functionalities were taken away that I had grown to love in Vista. There were many new Windows 7 features but as long as previous functionality wasn't changed I was happy.

In Mac OSX Lion the features are really redundant. But thats fine I would have upgraded anyways because I can. But now with Lion there is a step backwards... I wouldn't even pirate to get Mac OSX Lion because it makes my experience along with many others worse.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
People have been e-mailing Apple since the first tastes of Lion came out about this.

If anything, we need someone to develop a hack so we can get Expose/Spaces to work on Lion.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I'm sorry but Apple doesn't care about your petition. There are some things that I miss about the old expose, but I've been getting used to using mission control and I like it now.

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I'm sorry but Apple doesn't care about your petition. There are some things that I miss about the old expose, but I've been getting used to using mission control and I like it now.

Apple shouldn't make users how to do something. Or else they will not continue buying from the company. If anything Apple SHOULD BE LISTENING to their customers and accommodating us. I refuse to accomodate to the all mighty Steve Jobs.

I was fair and tried Lion twice.. every time I deleted the partition out of anger. Its not just Mission Control.. it is everything.

seetheforest

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
Some people like Mission Control. I am not denying this. But there should at least be an option for people like us. Once I cannot use Snow Leopard anymore, I am highly considering moving back to Windows. I cannot stand Mission Control. Hopefully I can get 2-3 more years out of Snow Leopard.

Why wouldn't you just try to get used to it? Seriously if you have access to snow leopard create any window arrangement that you like in SL and do the same in Lion and you should be able to switch to whatever new window you want faster in Lion. If you have 5 Safari windows, 3 Finder windows and an iPhoto window open... in what scenario would it be faster to use just Expose?

Looking for iPhoto... that is just Mission Control.
Looking for a finder window? On SL it would be hard to tell which finder window was the one you wanted without looking closely or hovering the mouse. In Lion you can Mission Control-->Finder-->App Expose Now you are only looking at three windows that are much bigger on the screen than in SL Expose. A much more manageable solution IMO.

labaom

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2009
I am not talking about speed. Sure it is possible to have the same speed in Misison Control. But the fact is.. its in a tighter space where it is harder to find stuff.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Why wouldn't you just try to get used to it? Seriously if you have access to snow leopard create any window arrangement that you like in SL and do the same in Lion and you should be able to switch to whatever new window you want faster in Lion. If you have 5 Safari windows, 3 Finder windows and an iPhoto window open... in what scenario would it be faster to use just Expose?

Looking for a finder window? On SL it would be hard to tell which finder window was the one you wanted without looking closely or hovering the mouse. In Lion you can Mission Control-->Finder-->App Expose Now you are only looking at three windows that are much bigger on the screen than in SL Expose. A much more manageable solution IMO.

The problem is that you can't actually find the specific window you are looking for in Mission Control because the windows cover each other up and spreading them doesn't uncover them if you have more than 3 windows. App Expose isn't a substitute because it takes you out of mission control and now you can't move you windows to a new space.

If mission control actually spread the windows out then it would be a subsitute for the Expose/Spaces of 10.5,10.6. But it doesn't spread the windows apart enough to actually see content. Try finding a specific set of finder windows out of 10 in mission control and moving them to a new space. It is not possible without a lot of headache.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I never even thought about using mission control WITH application exposé until people posted it in here but it actually makes sense. I was trying to use mission control as a replacement for exposé and didn't like it but when you use it in conjunction with application exposé, it's actually not as bad as it seemed at first. Although, I still think there should at least be an option to use exposé with mission control as the default. That way new users and people who like it can use mission control while old users and use exposé

aresinferno

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008

Looking for a minimised application? That is... oh... I guess I will have to right click on the application icon and find the specific window that was hidden. Of course I will then have to identify it by the title of the window and not what it looks like. I understand that you can use app expose but it takes longer to select the application and then activate app expose. Of course you can get them to show in the dock but I personally do not like that setting.

What happens if I minimise all windows in an application and want to access just one of them? As soon as I select the application to activate app expose, it would make one of the windows appear and probably the one I don't want, so I will have to show the window I want and then go back to the other one and hide it.

Mission control is good but so is expose. It would be great to get the best of both worlds. It would be great to have Mission Control similar to how it is now but make it possible to see minimised windows and make it so that expanding a stack of windows in an application can be done simply as if it activated app expose and not simply spreading them out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.