Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
I see that mission control is a huge turn off for many people here in this forum. Actually Apple never took away expose in the first place :p in fact its still here in lion :eek:. Just open preferences and go to trackpad. Under the category of more gestures there is an option to turn the expose back on. ;)

Last edited:

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
I see that mission control is a huge turn off for many people here in this forum. Actually Apple never took away expose in the first place :p in fact its still here in lion :eek:. Just open preferences and go to trackpad. Under the category of more gestures there is an option to turn the good ol' expose back on. ;)

yes but when you do that I dont think the expose really works. I only see one application when ever I do the expose trackpad gesture. Am I doing something wrong here. I think mission control killed expose on Lion.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
NYC
The lion expose only seems to open one set or category of apps. So... I guess you use mission control to locate that category or set and then expose it to see all the apps in that category in the old style. Guess it just requires an extra step now. :(

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I don't understand why people are insisting it's the same thing. It's so NOT.

seetheforest

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
I don't understand why people are insisting it's the same thing. It's so NOT.

You are right, it's actually much better (especially if you have 10+windows open). First you three finger swipe up to Mission Control. Then you mindlessly pick the app of the window you are interested in. Then you can three finger down and pick the correct window from within that App. I would dare say it is faster for me 9 out of 10 times.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Application Exposé. This used to be a form of Exposé prior to Lion. It has now replaced All Windows Exposé.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
You are right, it's actually much better (especially if you have 10+windows open). First you three finger swipe up to Mission Control. Then you mindlessly pick the app of the window you are interested in. Then you can three finger down and pick the correct window from within that App. I would dare say it is faster for me 9 out of 10 times.

That takes you out of Mission Control. Now you cannot drag windows between spaces. It does not work!

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
My App Expose was disabled by default. Turned it on. 4 fingers up for Mission Control or 4 fingers down for app expose.

laracroft111

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
Trrrrrackpad?

I see that mission control is a huge turn off for many people here in this forum. Actually Apple never took away expose in the first place :p in fact its still here in lion :eek:. Just open preferences and go to trackpad. Under the category of more gestures there is an option to turn the expose back on. ;)

==============================

"No Trackpad Found"

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
hold on, are you guys saying its possible to disable mission control and use snow leopards expose instead? do all the hot corners still work?

I don't care for spaces, I only need one desktop space because expose did a fantastic job. mission control is garbage.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
hold on, are you guys saying its possible to disable mission control and use snow leopards expose instead? do all the hot corners still work?

I don't care for spaces, I only need one desktop space because expose did a fantastic job. mission control is garbage.

Just tested it.

Huge disappointment. Its only a three finger swipe down to show all the windows within the current working application. Shame.

Would it KILL apple to implement the idea of CHOICE into its culture?

Just throw in the following as on/off options into mission control and I'll stick to Lion:

1) Ungroup windows within an application
2) turn off spaces completely and hide the thumbnails and grey background in expose

I don't use spaces in Snow Leopard because Exposes handles windows so well. So why the hell did they get rid of it and throw on a bigger memory hog now known as mission control??

Ugh.

*boots back into Snow Leopard partition*

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008

Boo. I don't know why I even clicked this thread seeing as I have tried every possible setting to restore the functionality of Expose. RIP best feature in Mac OS smh.

0ld-knight

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2009
a very big step back for osx : (

Writing in this thread to up it in the forum. Very sad, it was one of osx best features. It made me laugh to the aero-expose-kinda from windows and i could really work quick and fast to move icons from one window another, changing apps, etc... now in mission control you can't do that as fast. Very bad apple, why don't at least leave users choose?
Add an option to remove spaces from upper mission control, and another option for not to group up same-app windows, and you'll have the best osx ever! but nowadays i'm thinking of going back to SL in my newest machine, a brand new air13, even though i love many of the new features.
If anyone from apple reads this (i'm sure some of them visit macrumors) please talk with your boss, add this options for people to choose, before some 3d party app does it and makes you look stupid for not doing it before with an official update.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use Witch to replace Expose
I use BusyCal to replace iCal
Still looking for replacement for Address Book.

Apple really ruined my productivity with Lion.
If I had wanted iOS i would have bought an iPad not an iMac.

My take away lesson - no matter how smart or succesful - entropy to stupid is inevitable. Unfortunately a few of my friends work for RIM.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

all that as opposed to pressing one key to see everything? :rolleyes:

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
Apple really ruined my productivity with Lion.
If I had wanted iOS i would have bought an iPad not an iMac.

I totally agree. After spending two months with Lion, I'm back to Snow Leopard.

Spaces/Exposé works much better for me than Mission Control. I especially don't like that the menu bar and background moves when you switch to a different space in Lion. The animation gives me a headache as I often switch spaces several times per minute, and brings nothing of value. With Snow Leopard, you can remove the animation completely, making cmd+number switches instant. And when you have a static TV window open in Lion, switching to a new space "closes" and "reopens" the window. In Snow Leopard, a TV window is static during a space switch, just like the menu bar and desktop. Much better, for me at least.

Address Book in Lion takes an extra click to view your groups and iCal does away with the convenient mini-calander on the left, and demands an extra click to see your calendar list. I like the new year view in iCal, but just about everything else is a step in the wrong direction when it comes to productivity. I don't have a 10" monitor at my desktop. So I would actually like to see MORE stuff in the iCal window, not less. Also, the animations in Week, Month and Year view are both distracting and a waste of time.

With Lion, Apple added some new features but REMOVED a lot of the ones that were working great. In previous releases they have not done that to this extent. I've been on OS X since Puma and have been very exited about every upgrade except Lion. I think Lion is Apple's Vista.

But the prospects of being able to stay on 10.6 looks pretty bleak because of iCloud being Lion only. I'm totally dependent on MobileMe, and when it closes next summer, I will probably be forced to move back to Lion. I sincerely hope that Apple get their act together and offer iCloud support for 10.6 users before then. After all, iCloud is available on Windows Vista for gods sake!

Sorry for ranting, I just can't believe the many stupid decisions Apple made with Lion. Thankfully we have Snow Leopard.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006

That is App Expose. Not All Windows Expose.

Mission Control does not show All the windows because they overlap...

As Steve Jobs said, Tim Cook is not a "Products Person" The lack of attention to detail is rather evident in Lion.
I'm sure Mission Control works for a lot of people, but just because a lot of people bought green shag carpet in the 70's, doesn't make green shag carpet tasteful...

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Spaces/Exposé works much better for me than Mission Control.
Argh, exactly. I cry a little whenever I see a cluster of windows one obscuring another in Mission Control. Whoever genius that came up with the idea of grouping the windows should really learn the beauty of showing things directly.

Address Book in Lion takes an extra click to view your groups.
Agreed. And it's this that made dragging contacts to groups abysmal.

But the prospects of being able to stay on 10.6 looks pretty bleak because of iCloud being Lion only. I'm totally dependent on MobileMe, and when it closes next summer, I will probably be forced to move back to Lion. I sincerely hope that Apple get their act together and offer iCloud support for 10.6 users before then. After all, iCloud is available on Windows Vista for gods sake!
Let's talk about how desperate Apple is in this regard. iCloud syncing is akin to MobileMe after all? I don't get why Apple refused to give support (other than forcing people to upgrade).

Sorry for ranting, I just can't believe the many stupid decisions Apple made with Lion. Thankfully we have Snow Leopard.
The furore over OS X Lion is reasonable, there are TONS of people who are displeased by the dropped features and bad decisions Apple made.

I also downgraded after two months of usage. There's not much I miss about Lion, and it certainly doesn't feel like a must-have upgrade (unlike Leopard and Snow Leopard).

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
As Steve Jobs said, Tim Cook is not a "Products Person" The lack of attention to detail is rather evident in Lion.
I'm sure Mission Control works for a lot of people, but just because a lot of people bought green shag carpet in the 70's, doesn't make green shag carpet tasteful...

I think blaming Lion's major faults on Tim Cook is a bit premature. I'm sure Jobs had signed off on the lion changes.

Lion seems mostly to give Mac users more of an iOS feel so Apple can eventually merge the two.

I'm going to look at Witch and see if it helps (first time I've heard of it until now).

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
I think blaming Lion's major faults on Tim Cook is a bit premature. I'm sure Jobs had signed off on the lion changes.

Lion seems mostly to give Mac users more of an iOS feel so Apple can eventually merge the two.

I'm going to look at Witch and see if it helps (first time I've heard of it until now).

Read the Biography. Steve was not super involve toward the end. He did a lot, but he was not at the Headquarters day-in and day-out. His attention was also focused on iPhone, iPad, AppleTV type of stuff.

I would be really surprised if Steve Jobs wanted a fake torn page left behind on his calendar.

Tim Cook has no taste. Steve said it himself and Lion is evident of Tim's lack of vision and attention to UI details.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
I still miss 10.5-style Exposé (which you could enable in 10.6 by replacing Dock.app with an older version).

Actually, I wouldn't mind Mission Control's 'arrangement-by-app' if it offered the ability to eliminate the Spaces row up top: I don't use Spaces or full-screen apps, so I just get a redundant thumbnail of my desktop, taking up room which could be used to make the bigger thumbnails for all the normal windows I have.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I still miss 10.5-style Exposé (which you could enable in 10.6 by replacing Dock.app with an older version).

Actually, I wouldn't mind Mission Control's 'arrangement-by-app' if it offered the ability to eliminate the Spaces row up top: I don't use Spaces or full-screen apps, so I just get a redundant thumbnail of my desktop, taking up room which could be used to make the bigger thumbnails for all the normal windows I have.

This is the #1 reason why I went back to SL. (to use a proper "Expose")

I didn't mind the overlapping application windows in Lion's Expose. It's the mindless clutter throughout all of Mission Control I couldn't take like hunting for a minimized window I forgot I "minimized".

And of course when working with a single desktop, losing 30% of your screen to basically "nothing" up top really hurts on a 13" display.

I never understood why Full Screen apps required their own desktop. Window size has no relationship to a separate workspace in my mind. Just treat them like any other app window.

I am really hoping 10.8 separates MC back into separate Spaces/Expose components again. But by then Lion will be pretty much mainstream (because all new macs must run it) and folks will have either moved on or given up.

Still can't believe there hasn't been a 3rd party app developed to fill this vacuum yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.