PDA

View Full Version : External Monitor + Lion

gguerini
Jul 22, 2011, 09:54 AM
Hey guys, yesterday I plugged my external monitor into my MPB 13. The mission control and all the other eye candies are horrible with this setup (external monitor + mbp monitor). How can I disable the MPB screen and only use the external monitor?

snowleopard13
Jul 22, 2011, 10:18 AM
i assume you have a bluetooth mouse + keyboard?

close your macbook (-> sleep), plug in the monitor and wake your macbook up with your mouse or keyboard.

gguerini
Jul 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
i assume you have a bluetooth mouse + keyboard?

close your macbook (-> sleep), plug in the monitor and wake your macbook up with your mouse or keyboard.

No, I'm only using the keyboard + touchpad of my MPB. I used to do that: close the lid -> sleep, open the lid and the external monitor would take control. It doesn't happen anymore.

Anyone?

Dmazz
Jul 22, 2011, 11:29 AM
I have the exact same issue, if someone has an answer for this issue it would be great.

I'm also noticing my machine is running very hot, almost like it does with windows, is anyone else getting this issue?

Cheers

snowleopard13
Jul 22, 2011, 12:48 PM
No, I'm only using the keyboard + touchpad of my MPB. I used to do that: close the lid -> sleep, open the lid and the external monitor would take control. It doesn't happen anymore.

Anyone?

but then the macbook display would still show the background right? if you are using the external monitor only maybe you should consider using a mouse/external trackpad too. then you could just close the macbook and safe energy and space on your desk ;)

djrod
Jul 22, 2011, 01:10 PM
but then the macbook display would still show the background right? if you are using the external monitor only maybe you should consider using a mouse/external trackpad too. then you could just close the macbook and safe energy and space on your desk ;)

And turn your MacBook into these:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Barbecue_sausages.jpg

http://www.samt.com.au/images/products/air-fans/axial-flow-air-fan.JPG

gguerini
Jul 22, 2011, 01:26 PM

The point is, I don't have an extra keyboard and I don't want to lose the trackpad! I use a bluetooth mouse.

Nobody knows how to "turn off" my MPB's screen when I have an external monitor attached? :(

a.jfred
Jul 22, 2011, 02:05 PM
I don't know with Lion, because I haven't updated yet, but under Snow Leopard, it was a setting in the 'Displays' panel (under General Settings).

cas85
Jul 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
The point is, I don't have an extra keyboard and I don't want to lose the trackpad! I use a bluetooth mouse.

Nobody knows how to "turn off" my MPB's screen when I have an external monitor attached? :(

I have the same setup as you, and if you are going to be spending a lot of time working in this configuration i highly suggest a bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad. Yes it's gonna cost about $110 for both, but man I am loving it and it is well worth the money.

The magic trackpad is the best thing to happen to the desktop browsing experience that i can think of.

However, I understand that cost is a major issue, but you have to ask yourself how much time you will be spent like that.

gguerini
Jul 22, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have the same setup as you, and if you are going to be spending a lot of time working in this configuration i highly suggest a bluetooth keyboard and magic trackpad. Yes it's gonna cost about $110 for both, but man I am loving it and it is well worth the money.

The magic trackpad is the best thing to happen to the desktop browsing experience that i can think of.

However, I understand that cost is a major issue, but you have to ask yourself how much time you will be spent like that.

I agree with you, I know this is the best setup BUT this is not the setup I have and I just need to know how to turn of my macbook's screen!!!! Please guys!! Help me! hahahahah

maril1111
Jul 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
I agree with you, I know this is the best setup BUT this is not the setup I have and I just need to know how to turn of my macbook's screen!!!! Please guys!! Help me! hahahahah

Actually you don't have to get a magic mouse any mouse will suffice unless you wanna use 3 finger swipes etc, and yes i tried it with open lid as well using HDMI and it simply doesn't work.. want interface are you using HDMI,DVi?

gguerini
Jul 22, 2011, 02:59 PM
Actually you don't have to get a magic mouse any mouse will suffice unless you wanna use 3 finger swipes etc, and yes i tried it with open lid as well using HDMI and it simply doesn't work.. want interface are you using HDMI,DVi?

I'm using a MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter.. connecting to a (obviously) DVI external monitor.

Well, lets see. I will try more when I get home.

Pythagoras1
Jul 26, 2011, 05:45 PM
My temporary solution is to arrange displays corner to corner in Preferences (so it's hard to lose the mouse cursor on the laptop screen when you want it only on the main display) and then just turn the brightness of the laptop screen down all the way.

It's not ideal, though.

(and no, just keeping the lid closed is not an option, because then Wi-Fi speeds are much slower and there are also reception problems with Bluetooth)

BiggAW
Jul 26, 2011, 06:26 PM

Trackpad and Apple keyboard are a POS. I've got mine running with a Dell 23" LCD, Microsoft Natural 4000, and Logitech laser mouse.

Corner to corner is a good idea. Wireless isn't an issue if you plug into Ethernet, but the heat is an absolute killer with the lid down.

Heat, heat, and heat are the issues with using a Mac laptop with the lid down. Don't do it.

Also, as to OP's question, I don't see the point... I've had no issues with mine running dual monitors (although admittedly, 90% of the time, my laptop's screen is pretty empty over there). I actually like the corner to corner method just so the laptop's screen isn't lit up for no reason.

CRHain88
Jul 27, 2011, 12:11 AM
My temporary solution is to arrange displays corner to corner in Preferences (so it's hard to lose the mouse cursor on the laptop screen when you want it only on the main display) and then just turn the brightness of the laptop screen down all the way.

It's not ideal, though.

(and no, just keeping the lid closed is not an option, because then Wi-Fi speeds are much slower and there are also reception problems with Bluetooth)

A more permanent solution is to set your monitors to mirrored displays. Then any time you plug in your external monitor, just dim your laptop screen. Then when you unplug, brighten the laptop screen. This way, you don't have to worrying about aligning screens, etc.

Why do you want to disable your laptop screen though? In the display preferences, if you click the white bar at the top of what represents the menu bar your macbook screen, you can drag that over to your external monitor's screen. That way, you have the larger screen for running all your core tasks, and the laptop screen for auxiliary windows (photoshop pallets, webpages to reference while your working a document, etc). Any time you unplug, your mac will then move everything over to one screen. Then when you plug in again, the mac will set you up as you were before.

BiggAW
Jul 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
A more permanent solution is to set your monitors to mirrored displays. Then any time you plug in your external monitor, just dim your laptop screen. Then when you unplug, brighten the laptop screen. This way, you don't have to worrying about aligning screens, etc.

Why do you want to disable your laptop screen though? In the display preferences, if you click the white bar at the top of what represents the menu bar your macbook screen, you can drag that over to your external monitor's screen. That way, you have the larger screen for running all your core tasks, and the laptop screen for auxiliary windows (photoshop pallets, webpages to reference while your working a document, etc). Any time you unplug, your mac will then move everything over to one screen. Then when you plug in again, the mac will set you up as you were before.

You can't drive a laptop screen at 1920x1080. Or anything higher or even close to that. So that wouldn't work at all.

In my case, my laptop's screen is rarely used, I already have two windows worth of space on my 23" 1080p monitor, and my laptop is not well lined up with my main monitor, so it's easier to use it that way. It doesn't take more than 20 seconds to switch back if I need the extra space.