Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
If you go to various pages on Apple's website, most of the laptop pictures are not of the MBP but the MBA. Is this just because they are pushing the MBA? or is it the future of the notebook? or both? Even on the commercials I've seen they show a lot of the MBA. And it's not just because the new version came out a couple of days ago. I've noticed this for a while.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Definitely where Apple believes the laptop is headed.

Imagine the 15" and 17" without an optical drive and SSD only options. They could really slim them down and still give them the more powerful CPU's and graphics card options.

Or how about replacing the optical drives with large HDD and shipping the OS on a fast small SSD?

I think we'll see this sooner than most people expect. The optical drive is on life support at Apple.

FloridaMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Destin, Fl
Definitely where Apple believes the laptop is headed.

Imagine the 15" and 17" without an optical drive and SSD only options. They could really slim them down and still give them the more powerful CPU's and graphics card options.

Or how about replacing the optical drives with large HDD and shipping the OS on a fast small SSD?

I think we'll see this sooner than most people expect. The optical drive is on life support at Apple.

Is the optical drive being phased out because no one is using them anymore? I personally rarely ever use it.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Is the optical drive being phased out because no one is using them anymore? I personally rarely ever use it.

You aren't being cynical enough! They are being phased out because Apple wants everyone to use digital media, and so iTunes.

I guess the Air looks impressive as it is so thin, Apple want to show it off to prospective buyers.

Obscurelight

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
NYC

Yep, I believe for the average user the optical drive is used less frequently since everything is being digitized. By removing the optical drive it will promote iTunes and app store selling digital content. Everyone is following along with internet streaming and content distribution. Itunes/Netflix/Amazon/Google etc. Guess optical drives are heading the way of floppy disks. For professional users who really do need it to get by they will probably just sell the drives separately. In turn it will phase out optical drives built-in to our computers.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land

I use the optical drive on my Mac Pro for work.

I haven't had an optical drive on my laptop since the beginning of 08. I did purchase the USB optical drive with the original MacBook Air. I have used it less than 2 dozen times in 3 years.

When I need to move a file to the Air I just use flash drives. I still carry the optical drive in my bag, but there are many trips when I never need it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The MacBook Air is their new mainstream device. Don't be surprised if it becomes the top selling Mac very soon. Not bad for something that was dismissed as a gimmick when it was first released.

melterx12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
The MacBook Air is their new mainstream device. Don't be surprised if it becomes the top selling Mac very soon. Not bad for something that was dismissed as a gimmick when it was first released.

I would never have bought the macbook air before the redesign in 2010, they really improved upon it.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Yeah, it is a lot more useful, especially now. I think for most people, the new MBA will be more than enough. I'll probably keep buying the Pro, though. Photoshop is a beast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.