PDA

View Full Version : Lion Launchpad Treats Alias as New App

Steviejobz
Jul 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
If you have an alias app so that you can create a stack on the dock, launchpad (for some reason) treats it as an individual app. So now I have 2 of many different apps that are part of a suite. For example, MS Office and iWork.

I deleted the iWork aliases as a test and they are now gone from Launchpad but I no longer can have that stack on my dock.

Anyone else figure out a workaround so you don't have to have dupes of apps in launchpad?

ccrandall77
Jul 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to find a way to eliminate those aliases too. So far, nothing. I thought maybe there'd be a better way to create stacks using smart folders, but it doesn't look like that'll work either.

If I find something, I'll post.

On a side note, I knew better than to install Lion right out of the gate, but as long as it's been tested you'd think they would've done something to at least configure launchpad to not display aliases... and you'd think they would've resolved battery issues on MacBook's... but I digress.

ccrandall77
Jul 24, 2011, 02:52 PM
OK, I gave it some thought and this is how I fixed it. I don't know why I didn't think about this right away!

My wife uses stacks on our MacBook Pro, I do not. When she made the stacks, she created the folders under the Applications folder. I deleted those, and then created the folders with the appropriate aliases under a "stacks" folder in her account. Then I dragged those folders to the dock.

Now Launchpad is nice and clean without those pesky aliases! :) I hope that solution will work for your situation.