Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Pretty sad, especially for a company like Apple. Read toward the end of the line.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 11.47.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 11.47.53 AM.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 368

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
I admit it doesn't sound right but aren't you supposed to always us "an" before a word that begins with a vowel?

TNTN

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Anyone noticed this typo in OS X Lion?!

Apple's quality control is getting so much worse!

"...all arranged in an unified view."

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 14.48.10.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-25 at 14.48.10.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 164

norrismantooth

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Dallas, TX
It's grammatically correct. Placing an "an" before a vowel is correct by modern language standards. Doesn't sound good when spoken, but it's textbook. Probably the work of autospell or grammar checker in MS Word.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
It's grammatically correct. Placing an "an" before a vowel is correct by modern language standards. Doesn't sound good when spoken, but it's textbook. Probably the work of autospell or grammar checker in MS Word.

not true (although i am referring to uk english here)

its grammatically correct to place "an" before a vowel if the vowel word has the vowel sound at the start

an apple (you pronoune the a for apple)
a unified (you pronounce it more of a y younified so if becomes a instead of an)

TNTN

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Given the thread title I find it a bit humorous that this is a thread criticizing grammar.

Oh. How should I have written the title?

Apart from starting the sentence with 'has'.

And maybe writing 'typographical error' rather than typo.

not true (although i am referring to uk english here)

its grammatically correct to place "an" before a vowel if the vowel word has the vowel sound at the start

an apple (you pronoune the a for apple)
a unified (you pronounce it more of a y younified so if becomes a instead of an)

This is exactly what I believe - and I don't think American English is any different. I don't think Yanks say "Look! An UFO!"

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
This is exactly what I believe - and I don't think American English is any different. I don't think Yanks say "Look! An UFO!"

I just put that there to partly cover myself incase of differences :)

just like the saying

could care less
couldn't care less

in uk english they have different meanings, in US they seem to mean the same thing :confused:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I just put that there to partly cover myself incase of differences :)

just like the saying

could care less
couldn't care less

in uk english they have different meanings, in US they seem to mean the same thing :confused:
Just because people say it wrong dons't make them mean the same thing.

can care is not the same as can NOT care.

i-could-care-less.JPG

Patrick J

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Oporto, Portugal
It is actually correct, since there is a "j".

unify - /ˈjuːnɪfʌɪ/

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/unify

You are wrong. It's a typo, simple and easy.

There is no "j" at the start of the word, that is the 'j of the phonetic alphabet, it is pronounced as a soft closed "y" ( y = <wh>, 'ju/'yu = <you>), therefore pronouncing you-nee-fi, or correctly spelt as ˈjuːnɪfʌɪ.

A unified interface. ✓
A UFO. ✓

Now is a great opportunity for us using Lion to double tap with three fingers and get the dictionary definition. The built in dictionary also provides an alternative phonetic spelling: ˈyo͞onəˌfī, which is slightly easier to understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.