PDA

View Full Version : how to cull spotlight results

xizar
Jul 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Is there a way to cull Spotlight results? I have two installed copies of Steam, the mac version, and the windows version (via codeweavers) which I renamed to "Steam - Windows".

Prior to the upgrade to Lion, I could type "Steam" in to the spotlight widget and it would bring up both versions, and I could cursor or click the one I wanted.

Now when I type in "Steam", it brings up the "Steam - Windows" version, plus a bunch of other so-called applications that include Internet Explorer web pages (I have that installed?), text documents and something with the descriptive name "Prj2Make# GTK (Steam)".

It does not give me just "Steam" (the mac version).

I can, of course, get at the mac version by using "Show all in Finder" and find that the mac version is the very first result there (simply by alphabet!).
I'd even hoped that doing this enough times (through the Finder) would train Spotlight to return *that* result.

No joy.

So... is there a way to make Spotlight "less helpful", and return the things I actually want, rather than what it thinks I want?

Thanks.

[TL;DR? How to mine for app pl0x?]

GuerillaTech
Jul 22, 2011, 12:51 PM
Go to System Preferences, Spotlight, Privacy, and add your windows partition to that list. problem solved;)

xizar
Jul 22, 2011, 09:06 PM
I appreciate your attempt to help, however it fails. Less charitably, the brevity comes off as catty, but I hope that was not your intent.

Perhaps I was insufficiently clear in noting that the second install of Steam on my OS X partition is installed through Crossover Games, a WINE bottler made by Codeweavers.

That is, both copies of Steam can be run under OS X. One is the native version I use for running OS X apps like Killing Floor and Trine. The other is a Windows version *also running under OS X* for running windows programs *also under OS X* such as RUSH, Nation Red, and F.E.A.R.

The issue is not that Spotlight is returning programs that I cannot run, it's returning *as applications* things which are not applications.

Note that only the very top app in the larger finder window is a native Mac app. "Steam - Windows" and the "Steam" with the square icon are windows executables. (People familiar with the differences will note the mac icon has the piston extending out of the icon.)