Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I bought the standard 2.5GHz mini and it works great. I'm wondering though, how hot are these CPUs supposed to get?

Idle it's about 70°C (158°F) and when under load it gets to 80-85°C (176-185°F).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). Unless that's happening, you don't need to worry about temperatures.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
an idle of 70° is pretty hot... I'm not familiar with how Minis usually are, though. laptops usually doesn't go past 60° idle. is it in a well-ventilated area? and not sitting on carpet or something...

just because the chip isn't shutting off doesn't mean everything is perfect. heat is stress. stress affects component life, and there's more in a computer than just a CPU chip.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
an idle of 70° is pretty hot...
You're assuming "idle" means "idle." In most cases, when someone says their computer is at idle, there are many widgets and processes still running, even if they don't have any apps open. Without looking at Activity Monitor, it's impossible to tell if it's truly at idle.
just because the chip isn't shutting off doesn't mean everything is perfect. heat is stress. stress affects component life, and there's more in a computer than just a CPU chip.
The CPU/GPU are always the hottest components, so they will shut down before other components reach such extreme temps.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
You're assuming "idle" means "idle." In most cases, when someone says their computer is at idle, there are many widgets and processes still running, even if they don't have any apps open. Without looking at Activity Monitor, it's impossible to tell if it's truly at idle.

that's possible, though I doubt that's the true in "most cases."

The CPU/GPU are always the hottest components, so they will shut down before other components reach such extreme temps.

the CPU and GPU don't exist in a vacuum, nor are they immune to the effects of thermal stress. if they can run at the edge of their thermal envelopes all day (these are consumer chips, not server chips), which is quite a bit higher than what they actually do, why should anyone bother with thermal design?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
the CPU and GPU don't exist in a vacuum, nor are they immune to the effects of thermal stress. if they can run at the edge of their thermal envelopes all day (these are consumer chips, not server chips), which is quite a bit higher than what they actually do, why should anyone bother with thermal design?
No one is talking about running "at the edge of their thermal envelopes all day." The temps in question are far from the limits of the design. While the "idle" temp seems a bit high, there's no way to know if it's truly at idle or what the ambient temperature is. The temps reported under load are quite normal for Macs.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Would be very interested to hear other users' temps. Planning on picking the new mini up, but I already have concerns about my iMac's temps (twice repaired due to hard drive deaths -- heat related? Maybe).

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Would be very interested to hear other users' temps. Planning on picking the new mini up, but I already have concerns about my iMac's temps (twice repaired due to hard drive deaths -- heat related? Maybe).
It's highly unlikely that your hard drives would die from heat issues.

mogwai7

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
I bought the standard 2.5GHz mini and it works great. I'm wondering though, how hot are these CPUs supposed to get?

Idle it's about 70°C (158°F) and when under load it gets to 80-85°C (176-185°F).

Late 09 mini is 55-60°C at idle.
How about fan speed?

FeaRThiS

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
I would be pretty worried if my CPU was anywhere near 70 on idle but thats just me on my windows machine it is the old i7 920 2.66ghz running at 4ghz and idles around 35-40.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
what makes you say that? heat (50c+) does not do well for a spinning disk life.
Most drives fail for reasons other than heat. While a drive may get hot during periods of extreme activity, they're usually much cooler than most other components.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Actually, if you do a search around this forum, you'll see a lot of people with aluminum iMacs experiencing HDD temperatures above 50C, many at idle.

That's awfully close to manufacturer-stated safe operating temps of 60C. Maybe I've been lucky, but in about 25 years of having home computers with hard drives (the first one -- a 4MB monster -- had to be "parked"), I've had four hard drive failures -- two of those in my iMac (and one in my first-gen MacBook). I guess that could be a shift in my fortunes, or an issue with the environment inside the iMac.

did123

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Idles in low 70s

I just got my mini a couple of days ago and immediately replaced the hard drive with one that runs Linux and can monitor the temperature and all of the processes.

With the machine as idle as it can be (CPU utilization under 2%) it idles at 70C-72C .

When I start playing HD video, it goes up as high as 85C-86C but then it is stable so I'm not too worried about it.

The fan runs at around 1800 RPM when idle (the sensor reports that this is the minimum speed) and it doesn't seem to go much higher under load.

lagos

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2011
2011 Mac Mini temperatures

I also just received my mac mini (2.5 Ghz i5) and have noticed some higher than normal temps. When it's completely idle, no running applications other than OS/services, I see about 60-65. Actively using the pc, I usually see it idle around 74. Watching a HD video on the machine bumps it to 80-85.

Now, where I've been rather nervous about the machine is when it's under heavy load . While playing TF2 or StarCraft, at high to medium graphic settings, I've seen core temps bump up to 92-95 with the back fan running at about 4650 rpm. Has anyone else seen temperatures near these numbers while putting the system under heavy load?

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
mini server idle (base fan speed 2300rpm):
lRlai.jpg

mini server high cpu utilization:
hnx3V.jpg

i suggest using fan control to cool faster than apple's default fan settings. less internal heat will lower the risk of logic board and gpu failures after your warranty period ends.

KyleAwesome

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
I dont find the these temps acceptable personally. I've installed fan control and have the lower threshold set to 2500rpm and have it scale from there. I'm much more inclined to replace a HSF than a mini logic board. Call me paranoid but I'd much rather err on the side of caution. :rolleyes:

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
here's another shot of temps on the server during typical use for me. about a dozen apps open (firefox, postbox, reeder, vlc, skype, bbedit, etc.), but nothing cpu heavy:
0Wutr.jpg

and here's a poweruser tip:
put your mini upside down, so cool air flows in freely from the top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.