Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I have a PDF document with clickable fields (a check list).
It is a list of AFI's top 100 American films of all time. When I have seen a film, I cross it off the list and save the file. With Lion, that is no longer possible. The new check marks do not get saved.

I have attached three screenshots showcasing the issue. The first is "status quo" (as it looks before modifying it in Lion). The second is after clicking a field and hitting CMD + S. The third and last is after opening the newly saved file again.

Is anyone else experiencing this with PDFs with clickable fields?

Attachments

• Original.png
    Original.png
    231.2 KB · Views: 351
  • CMD+S.png
    CMD+S.png
    226.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Opening.png
    Opening.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 148

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Is anyone else experiencing this with PDFs with clickable fields?

I can certainly reproduce it with your PDF. Did this use to work on Snow Leopard? Hopefully just a bug, if so...someone should report it.

EDIT: You're right. Works fine on Snow Leopard.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
The specific PDF seems very weirdly constructed to me. It looks like almost all elements in it are annotations or notes? Only those seem to be the ones that get screwed up as well

shot.png

DandsM

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Ye I agree, Preview is terrible now...

I hate the idea that I am no more able to delete pictures from Preview by hitting cmd+del.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
all i can say is, "OMFG YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THE 'WIZARD OF OZ'????".

just sayin'.....

- Haha, I knew someone would mention either that or "Gone with the Wind". No, I am sorry to say that I have never seen "The Wizard of Oz".

tkermit said:
The specific PDF seems very weirdly constructed to me. It looks like almost all elements in it are annotations or notes? Only those seem to be the ones that get screwed up as well

- You are right. It is a bit strange. But it worked just fine on Snow Leopard, so it should work on Lion as well.

Well, I am glad that I'm not the only one. I will have to try this out with other clickable PDFs, and then report the bug to Apple.

mac-slap-happy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
I've noticed some weirdness with PDF's and QuickLook. I wonder if they're related? PDF files that display just find under Acrobat no longer display properly using QuickLook. These same PDF files worked fine under SL.

karohan

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
I know this doesn't directly solve your issue, but have you tried other lightweight PDF readers (e.g. Skim)?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Great. Even just duplicating your PDF from within Preview messes it up completely by the way.

- Yes, you are right. This is a strange issue.
I have just reported it to Apple. Let's hope it gets fixed.

I know this doesn't directly solve your issue, but have you tried other lightweight PDF readers (e.g. Skim)?

- No, I have not. I suspect they will work fine, though. I will try the same thing in Skim.

EDIT: That's strange. It doesn't work in Skim, either. It doesn't screw up the PDF like Preview does, though.
Can someone confirm whether or not this works on Snow Leopard?
I would try Adobe Reader, but I really don't want to put my poor MacBook Pro through that experience again!

Last edited:

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
One thing I do like about the new Preview is that if I close a picture, the whole Preview program closes.. I can't tell you how many times in SL I was like "why the heck is Preview open? Oh yeah, I opened that one picture a few hours ago."

JD-Z

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Reopening Preview

Whenever I open Preview it opens all the previous images I was viewing when I previously quit Preview.:confused:

I found in Preferences > PDF tab, under On opening documents , unchecked start on the last viewed page.

Last edited:

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
I'm really a fan of Lion, but I'll admit that Preview is a little weird. I don't really get the whole "Duplicate" thing and no "Save as..." is annoying. The same goes for Text Edit. The whole Versions and auto-save thing is just different. Anyone have a good understanding of the whole thing?

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I've had issues with serching in SL, but lion doesn't bug me...I don't know if it changed or I've changed...all I know is that preview works a lot better and faster than adobe reader now...adobe reader studders when scrolling.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
- Well, when did it not? :)
Adobe Reader is such a poor piece of software. It's truly incredible how bad it is.

That is an awesome quote. It did have the advantage of search, but not now. It seems everything sucks at searching now, even google. I have to now add + to everything I want to search to have to include it...what's up with that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.