PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need the recovery image of 2011 MBA.

luvTN
Jul 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I just bought the new i5 13" MBA. As usual, the 1st thing I did when I bought new Mac is to reinstall the OS to get rid of iLife and some other stuff. That wasn't much of a problem previously since all the Mac I bought came with the recovery disc.

I looked up on the documentation and got into recovery mode, clicked "Restore Mac OS X Lion on this machine" or something likes that (couldn't remember the exact words). It told me "This version of mac os x 10.7 cannot be installed on this machine". I was like "duhhhh", then I made a guess that I need to format the partition to be able to reinstall. But instead of erasing the Lion partition, I repartitioned the whole SSD, which mean my recovery partition is gone too (I'm not sure how this could happened since I was booting from that partition). I tried to restart the machine and it kicked into network recovery mode. Ok it was not that bad, Apple got my ass. Except that network recovery DID NOT WORK. It kept giving me error even though I'm pretty sure it was connected to the internet.

I try to use the App Store version, restore to a USB but it could not boot (work fine with my iMac). I tried the network recovery again and again but it didn't work. I called Apple US and gave them the error code (-4403F) and they said I was the first one to report this error. Since I'm staying in Singapore, I need to call Apple Singapore to check if their servers are working properly. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow morning. If anyone here is kind enough to rip the recovery partition and upload it to somewhere (e.g. mediafire or dropbox), I would really appreciate that. I hate to send this in for service right after I bought it.

TL;DR: I screwed up my MBA. If you could help me RIP your recovery partition and upload it, I would really appreciate that.

http://i.imgur.com/ePAG6.jpg

Intell
Jul 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
I screwed up my MBA. If you could help me RIP your recovery partition and upload it, I would really appreciate that.

That is illegal and cannot be done.

Try making sure the Macbook Air can access an open internet connected WiFi network. It may then startup into recovery mode correctly. If that fails, a visit to the Genius Bar may be the only solution.

luvTN
Jul 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
That is illegal and cannot be done.

Try making sure the Macbook Air can access an open internet connected WiFi network. It may then startup into recovery mode correctly. If that fails, a visit to the Genius Bar may be the only solution.

It could connect to an open wifi network. We don't have Genius Bar here in Singapore but I'll try Apple authorized service. Thanks for your suggestion though.

ujern
Aug 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
It could connect to an open wifi network. We don't have Genius Bar here in Singapore but I'll try Apple authorized service. Thanks for your suggestion though.

did you manage to get it fixed?

youthcyber
Nov 1, 2011, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

I just bought the new i5 13" MBA. As usual, the 1st thing I did when I bought new Mac is to reinstall the OS to get rid of iLife and some other stuff. That wasn't much of a problem previously since all the Mac I bought came with the recovery disc.

I looked up on the documentation and got into recovery mode, clicked "Restore Mac OS X Lion on this machine" or something likes that (couldn't remember the exact words). It told me "This version of mac os x 10.7 cannot be installed on this machine". I was like "duhhhh", then I made a guess that I need to format the partition to be able to reinstall. But instead of erasing the Lion partition, I repartitioned the whole SSD, which mean my recovery partition is gone too (I'm not sure how this could happened since I was booting from that partition). I tried to restart the machine and it kicked into network recovery mode. Ok it was not that bad, Apple got my ass. Except that network recovery DID NOT WORK. It kept giving me error even though I'm pretty sure it was connected to the internet.

I try to use the App Store version, restore to a USB but it could not boot (work fine with my iMac). I tried the network recovery again and again but it didn't work. I called Apple US and gave them the error code (-4403F) and they said I was the first one to report this error. Since I'm staying in Singapore, I need to call Apple Singapore to check if their servers are working properly. I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow morning. If anyone here is kind enough to rip the recovery partition and upload it to somewhere (e.g. mediafire or dropbox), I would really appreciate that. I hate to send this in for service right after I bought it.

TL;DR: I screwed up my MBA. If you could help me RIP your recovery partition and upload it, I would really appreciate that.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/ePAG6.jpg)

I have encountered this problem too. Apple senior advisor said he will get back to me when this engineering team find a solution. Almost 3 weeks, I'm still waiting

houkouonchi
Jul 18, 2012, 09:10 AM
Just thought I would let people know I ran into the same error code.

I theorized it might be caused by the fact I have two internet connections with load balancing (two fios connections) and the IP can change in between requests sometimes. This can sometimes cause havoc with certain things. May be unrelated to the problem the OP was having unless in SG they are behind a big NAT or something and the IP can change.

Anyway I setup my router box to force all traffic from the macbook IP to go through one internet connection and it fixed the issue and I was able to re-install the OS.

This machine was going back to apple since i whiped the drive in linux but i figured it would be nice if i gave them back a bootable machine.

carlos00
Jul 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
Done that on my MBP once, Wiped my boot partition.. was not fun getting it recovered