PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to wait till the tax holiday to buy MBA 13" ultimate?

harpyeagle
Jul 22, 2011, 01:41 PM
I was suggested so and given that its not very far off (Aug5-7), I am wondering if I should wait?

Can I buy it, say, tomorrow, so while I am still in the 14 day return window to get the tax refunded come Aug5?

Has anyone done that before at an Apple store?

GGJstudios
Jul 22, 2011, 01:43 PM
It depends partly on where you are, as the tax holiday doesn't make much difference in some states.

harpyeagle
Jul 22, 2011, 01:44 PM
It depends partly on where you are, as the tax holiday doesn't make much difference in some states.

I am in NC and tax here for a 13" MBA Ultimate comes to ~$125...

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 01:48 PM
If you average saving about $100 your a fool not to wait a day or two.

mrgossett
Jul 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
That's exactly what I plan to do. Our TN tax holiday is that weekend.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
I was suggested so and given that its not very far off (Aug5-7), I am wondering if I should wait?

Can I buy it, say, tomorrow, so while I am still in the 14 day return window to get the tax refunded come Aug5?

Has anyone done that before at an Apple store?

Probably would have to return and repurchase.

Oppressed
Jul 22, 2011, 02:09 PM
Google your state's tax free coverage to see if it includes computers and electronics.

Florida does not cover computers for example.

wookv
Jul 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
That's exactly what I plan to do. Our TN tax holiday is that weekend.
MrGossett
I thought of waiting for tax holiday too, but it depends on which MBA you're buying.

I looked it up: TN's tax holiday limit is at $1500, so it won't work for the 13" 256gb option. The list price of the item has to be <$1500 from the get go. And unfortunately, the tax will not be prorated, it has to be <$1500 list price, all or nothing.

See #1:
www.tn.gov/revenue/faqs/salesandusefaq.htm#1

harpyeagle
Jul 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
Google your state's tax free coverage to see if it includes computers and electronics.

Florida does not cover computers for example.

NC does exempt Computers(Incl. Tablets & Netbooks, but not e-readers) <$3500
and Computer Supplies < $250...

http://www.dornc.com/taxes/sales/salestax_holiday.html