PDA

View Full Version : i5 - i7 noticable heat and fan noise thread. The concensous is >

entatlrg
Jul 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
There's conflicting posts spread among numerous threads.

Can we conclude yet there is noticeable difference in heat and fan noise comparing an i5 to an i7 mba?

From what I've read so far I think so.

askrib
Jul 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
i really want to know. Im going to pick mine up today and still cant tell if I should get the i5 or i7 256ssd.

Dont want extra eat and fan noise if you cant even tell the difference. But if you can i do want a faster computer :)

Typswif2fingers
Jul 22, 2011, 02:17 PM
Only person I know of that has both is Apple... err.. what was his name.. Apple master.. ah yes. Apple expert...

I guess he can compare them...

I don't have an i5 so I can't say.. I managed to pump the fans today on i7... but I opened all of my apps and utilities... The fan was on about 5000 rpms...

It also worked (i.e. was heard... I had to turn the tv off) on Rome total war that I tried... but so does on my iMac and MBP...

So... I got no clue what to say...

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
I have both 13" models and the i5 is better in my opinion. That's my wife's computer. I have the i7 which is hotter and nosier. I'm probably going to exchange for the i5. The extra heat is not worth it. Besides I've yet to see a difference in speed between the two. I'd rather save the money and go with the i5.

KPOM
Jul 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
Only person I know of that has both is Apple... err.. what was his name.. Apple master.. ah yes. Apple expert...

I guess he can compare them...

He did on another thread and said he couldn't tell the difference in terms of speed.

bp1000
Jul 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
I've used mine for 2 full days now, doing everything bar video encoding

I've watched avchd movies and youtube and other flash and html 5 videos, the only time the fan came on was during x code install which is a pile of rubbish anyway and I got rid of it.

Its ran as cold as turn on at all other times

13" i5

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 02:21 PM

I've watched avchd movies and youtube and other flash and html 5 videos, the only time the fan came on was during x code install which is a pile of rubbish anyway and I got rid of it.

Which model do you own?

Geetarpicker
Jul 22, 2011, 02:23 PM

"mine" being an i7? 11 or 13?

(I actually bought a 11" Ultimate yesterday but still haven't even opened the box, as my Apple receipt says 14 day returns should be unopened, short of a 10% restock fee.)

entatlrg
Jul 22, 2011, 02:23 PM
I have both 13" models and the i5 is better in my opinion. That's my wife's computer. I have the i7 which is hotter and nosier. I'm probably going to exchange for the i5. The extra heat is not worth it. Besides I've yet to see a difference in speed between the two. I'd rather save the money and go with the i5.

Thank you. That helps a lot. I have my i7 on order to arrive next week, think I'm going to make a drive to the Apple Store shortly and pick up an i5, get 'er set up and never look back :)

If it's noticeable in the 13's, maybe even more so in the 11's?

theSeb
Jul 22, 2011, 02:25 PM
There's conflicting posts spread among numerous threads.

Can we conclude yet there is noticeable difference in heat and fan noise comparing an i5 to an i7 mba?

From what I've read so far I think so.

My 13" i7 stays cool to the touch and is comfortable to use on my lap even when the CPU is up to 80 C. It also stays silent until I encode a movie or do another similar CPU intensive task. I cannot fathom the commotion about this.

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 02:25 PM
Thank you. That helps a lot. I have my i7 on order to arrive next week, think I'm going to make a drive to the Apple Store shortly and pick up an i5, get 'er set up and never look back :)

Your welcome. I'm just trying to help. But of course everyone will have their opinion. But I'll be exchanging mine for the i5. To bad too, because this one has no dead pixels and both the display and ssd are Samsung.

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 02:45 PM
If I return my 11" i7 for a i5, do I boot into the restore image and reinstall Lion?

SpiffyChee
Jul 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
So the only people with i7's who think their heat and noise is low enough are people with the 13" airs. Has anyone heard of someone with an 11" air i7 who thought the heat was low enough?

jeffg819
Jul 22, 2011, 02:51 PM
FWIW, I'm in the process of using Migration Assistant to move from my 2010 13" MBA Ultimate to the new 2011 MBA i7 via a Ethernet cable. The heat coming off both keyboards feels about the same but the fans on the 2010 model are definitely running faster. By how much, I can't tell since the only Migration Assistant can be running on each machine during the process.

Cynicalone
Jul 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'm plugged in and charging right now and the i7 is still very cool and quite.

iStat Menus for the curious...

Apple Expert
Jul 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
Here's mine as of this moment.

jbouklas
Jul 23, 2011, 07:50 AM
I bought the 11" i7, mainly because I wanted the 256GB SSD and didn't want to wait to get it shipped. One of the main reasons I bought the Air is because I've read reviews of the previous generation that said they didn't get hot (and my 13" MBP can sear my thighs off).

I'm returning it. I setup Mail, played with Safari, and started customizing it, and within 30 minutes or less, it was very warm to the touch, in the upper left hand corner. Fifteen minutes after that, half the laptop's bottom was hot. I'm returning today, will order the 11" i5 with the 256GB SSD- heat isn't worth the speed increase, which I probably won't even notice anyway.

mac jones
Jul 23, 2011, 07:59 AM
I bought the 11" i7, mainly because I wanted the 256GB SSD and didn't want to wait to get it shipped. One of the main reasons I bought the Air is because I've read reviews of the previous generation that said they didn't get hot (and my 13" MBP can sear my thighs off).

I'm returning it. I setup Mail, played with Safari, and started customizing it, and within 30 minutes or less, it was very warm to the touch, in the upper left hand corner. Fifteen minutes after that, half the laptop's bottom was hot. I'm returning today, will order the 11" i5 with the 256GB SSD- heat isn't worth the speed increase, which I probably won't even notice anyway.

Sigh... your making a mistake, you should perhaps google this to get some info. Spotlight causes these to get very hot for up to an hour when they first are used. Spotlight is the drive indexing, and it jacks the cpu WAY up.

I wonder how many people jump to this conclusion? Certainly it's an issue and Apple should perhaps warn people as it's costing them a lot of money in returns.

(you need a cpu meter installed to see what's going on. I use iStat. )

aristobrat
Jul 23, 2011, 08:04 AM
I agree. Use your new Air for at least 3-4 days before returning it.

There are more and more posts from folks who are having it run cooler after all of the startup/migration housekeeping is out of the way.

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 08:07 AM
Sigh... your making a mistake, you should perhaps google this to get some info. Spotlight causes these to get very hot for up to an hour when they first are used. Spotlight is the drive indexing, and it jacks the cpu WAY up.

I wonder how many people jump to this conclusion? Certainly it's an issue and Apple should perhaps warn people as it's costing them a lot of money in returns.

I've installed istat and still get that heat. No indexing going on either. I'm going to use it till next week. Then will see.

jbouklas
Jul 23, 2011, 08:07 AM

I considered that, and that's a valid point. But, it's a little disappointing that when the CPU gets taxed, it gets hot instead of putting the fans on (if they were on, I didn't hear them). I will give it today, though, and see what it does. Thanks for the advice.

johnc22
Jul 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
This is my first Mac and while I have a dedicated Windows 7 laptop, I don't plan on migrating a lot of stuff over (at least not yet). My 13" i7 has been cool and quiet except while installing Xcode the fans were loud, but not inconsistent with what any normal laptop does under a heavy workload. I expect the fans to work when the CPU works hard especially on such a small machine with very little space for airflow. Simple physics.

FWIW my 15.5" Asus gaming laptop with C2D spits out warm air just sitting there doing nothing.

jbouklas
Jul 23, 2011, 08:27 AM
Just turned it on, installed iStat, and saw CPU utilization fluctuated between 1 and 7 percent. Heated up right away, and CPU got to 83 degrees C. Did some light browsing for a few minutes, whole bottom got noticeably warm, and a small part of it was getting hot. I'm not impressed.

But before I exchange it, can somebody with an 11" i5 post to report that they run cool? Most of the posts are from 13" users (which has more room internally for heat management, I'm assuming). Even though I really like the 11" form factor, I'll go up to 13" for heat considerations if it's an issue.

mac jones
Jul 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
I considered that, and that's a valid point. But, it's a little disappointing that when the CPU gets taxed, it gets hot instead of putting the fans on (if they were on, I didn't hear them). I will give it today, though, and see what it does. Thanks for the advice.

You need a fan meter to see if it's possible you have a defective fan. iStat also has this.

iSat (or similar) is essential. It should come standard, eah folks? :D

note: I mean, i'm constantly monitoring the Air's state with the iStat task bar icons.
I must glance at them 3% to 5% of the time i'm using the machine!. It's like a gas gauge on your car. You unconsciously check it at regular intervals. ( You do this after you run out a couple of times.) :D

Cynicalone
Jul 23, 2011, 09:14 AM
You need a fan meter to see if it's possible you have a defective fan. iStat also has this.

iSat (or similar) is essential. It should come standard, eah folks? :D

note: I mean, i'm constantly monitoring the Air's state with the iStat task bar icons.
I must glance at them 3% to 5% of the time i'm using the machine!. It's like a gas gauge on your car. You unconsciously check it at regular intervals. ( You do this after you run out a couple of times.) :D

iStat is one of the first apps I install on a new Mac. Simply one of the best system monitoring apps available.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'm looking at getting a i7 mba and am slightly worried now about the overheating. If there is an issue with the 13 inch i7 how long does it take for apple to fix this in the manufacturing process or if it is a Lion issue to release an update based on previous problems?

Jaro65
Jul 23, 2011, 10:15 AM
I don't think there is an issue with 13" i7 MBA. Mine has certainly been running more quiet than the 2010 13" MBA it replaced. This is a great machine.

arctic
Jul 23, 2011, 10:15 AM
I think this is the price we're gonna have to pay for wanting powerful machines in such a small body. We want Apple to give us power, we got it. What would have been the pissed threads and posts if Apple updated us with i3 chips across the board and all of these would be cool and quiet Airs. Next year, when we get the Ivy Bridge when we might get quad core Airs, I think majority of us will just opt for the dual core cheaper versions because those will be cooler and quieter. Anyway, I'll only consider these as problems if we're using these machines on our laps a lot. Else, I won't be bothered. These machines have a built-in sensor that will shut down the computer before heat does any damage. Yes, I'm still gonna get an 11" Ultimate, heat be damned. :D

ccsicecoke
Jul 23, 2011, 10:25 AM
My 13'' i7 runs a lot cooler than previous 2010 model

Cynicalone
Jul 23, 2011, 10:27 AM
3 days with the i7 and I still feel it runs very cool and quiet. I replaced a 2,1 Air which loved to kick on the fans every time I watched a Flash video or imported a handful of photos. The improvements since October 08 are simply amazing.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
those that are running cooler what are you guys running on your machines?

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 10:28 AM
Or to beat the heat, assuming you're not a power user, then order the i5 in the 11" and 13" machines.

If the speed difference isn't noticeable by most, less heat and fan noise, and better battery times are all true then no doubt the i5 is the machine for most people.

Still other than a few posters, there's not much definitive info on the heat, fan, battery differences.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 10:34 AM
What is the difference in the two (i5 v i7) with regard to power. To be honest all I will be using it for is word processing, internet, skype, watching itunes, videos, and using aperture. At the moment I have 2008 2.53 mbp and never have any fan, heat or lag issues at all. I am wanting the air to be the same :)

I do like to try and future proof and get the best I can afford which is one reason I was considering the i7 but if there is going to be no noticeable difference for me other than problems with heat, fans and battery life then I may go for the i5. I am going to leave buying for a month or so to see how things work out for the early users

Cynicalone
Jul 23, 2011, 10:45 AM

Safari, Twitter, Activity Monitor, Mail, Reeder, iCal, and iChat.

BTW I'm on battery power right now.

Typswif2fingers
Jul 23, 2011, 10:52 AM

13" i7

Safari, Mail, iCal, App store, iTunes, MS Word, Excel and PPoint...

44dC at 3070 rpms - average.. observed over 10 minutes

wookv
Jul 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
Safari, Twitter, Activity Monitor, Mail, Reeder, iCal, and iChat.

BTW I'm on battery power right now.

is this considered cooler? or hotter?

AbeFroman77
Jul 23, 2011, 11:01 AM
Anyone try it with a heavy flash site or something that works the CPU? Having a bunch of apps open isn't going to do anything. How about some temps. How hot you feel it is, is pretty subjective.

ZBoater
Jul 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
My 13" i7 stays cool to the touch and is comfortable to use on my lap even when the CPU is up to 80 C. It also stays silent until I encode a movie or do another similar CPU intensive task. I cannot fathom the commotion about this.

+1 :apple:

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
Are you guys running the 13inch?

AbeFroman77
Jul 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
Are you guys running the 13inch?

I'm running a 11" i7 and I get 95-98 degrees Celsius just by having a flash site open.

eba
Jul 23, 2011, 11:07 AM
I don't think there is an issue with 13" i7 MBA. Mine has certainly been running more quiet than the 2010 13" MBA it replaced. This is a great machine.

Same experience here. Subjectively cooler than 2010 13" Ultimate in routine use (Safari, Mail, etc.) iStat says CPU temp is 48 and fan revs are 1997.

Fan bumps up when charging from a complete discharge (briefly) or in gaming. But that's to be expected.

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 11:14 AM
Now, based on what I'm reading today, looks like i7 may okay in 13" but i5 is the way to go in the 11"?

I'd think if it was a huge problem the forum would be full of posts by now.

I'm nearly convinced i5 in the 11" is wise for heat and battery life.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hopefully time will tell in the next couple of weeks:)

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Now, based on what I'm reading today, looks like i7 may okay in 13" but i5 is the way to go in the 11"?

I'd think if it was a huge problem the forum would be full of posts by now.

I'm nearly convinced i5 in the 11" is wise for heat and battery life.

I think it has to do with indexing. Today has been the first day since I got the MBA that no fan has came on. All hovering around 120-140 degrees and fan hasn't gone over 2100 rpm. I've used Safair with 5-7 tabs with one of those tabs running a youtube video. Mail and iCal running in the background. iPhoto open and browsing. Aperture open, but not using it. Photoshop and twitter running. All while running Iron Man 2 in HD in iTunes. Hopefully it was indexing as I would like to keep the best machine possible. :)

On a different note, can you manually run a spotlight index? If so we should try that to see if the fan and temp still continue to run hotter than normal.

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 12:09 PM
Good to hear yours in running quieter, could be indexing.

Cool and quiet is more important to me than a little extra processing power which I wouldn't often need so if there is a noticeable difference then I'll go for the i5 for sure.

That being said, there isn't a lot of mention of heat in the i7 11" today either, lol. Don't know what to do.

zbarvian
Jul 23, 2011, 01:56 PM
Just picked up a 13" i7 Air, and it is dead silent. No problems :)

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 02:26 PM
Ok guys I've got an update for you all. So all morning I've been testing the i7 and i5 that we have here. Here is what I found it. The i7 runs an average about 5-10 degrees warmer than the i5. I did the same exact test using the same exact app. When I opened all the apps at once, they opened at the same time. The only time where I noticed a difference in speed was when I was export high resolution wallpapers from iPhoto. The i7 was a tad faster by 1 image. Loading webpages say no difference. Copying large movie files, the same. Now keep in mind I'm judging by the human eye and I don't have a radar gun to tell me how fast they really real. Out of 4 reboots including cold starts they were the same expect once. The i7 just won by a tad. Maybe a second....maybe. There you go guys, hope this information helps you out. For those who think other wise, I've included a proof of both machines.

BiscottiGelato
Jul 23, 2011, 02:39 PM
Since graphics is tied to the processor however, would the extra 5/10 degrees makes it worthwhile since we'll most likely be graphics bounded?

Yes I plan to do some gaming (SC2 only) on this.

jbouklas
Jul 23, 2011, 02:44 PM
Returned my 11" i7 a few hours ago. At least with my machine, it wasn't an issue with indexing, since my CPU usage was consistently under 10% while it was getting hot.

I think the reason there aren't more complaints about this is that not many people are getting the 11" with the i7 due to the cost, and it's only been out for like two days. But I expect more people to talk about it in the next week or two.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks as people get there orders

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 02:50 PM
Returned my 11" i7 a few hours ago. At least with my machine, it wasn't an issue with indexing, since my CPU usage was consistently under 10% while it was getting hot.

I think the reason there aren't more complaints about this is that not many people are getting the 11" with the i7 due to the cost, and it's only been out for like two days. But I expect more people to talk about it in the next week or two.

Good to know, thanks.

Did you exchange it for something else?

theSeb
Jul 23, 2011, 03:00 PM
I'm looking at getting a i7 mba and am slightly worried now about the overheating. If there is an issue with the 13 inch i7 how long does it take for apple to fix this in the manufacturing process or if it is a Lion issue to release an update based on previous problems?

Because of the 5 people claiming their machine is "too hot"? Without posting screenshots? And of course it better to ignore the people who post screenshots that it rubs quite fine? Yup, plenty to be worried about.

Xaron
Jul 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
I have absolutely no problems with my 13" i7. Dead silent all the day, no heat.

AbeFroman77
Jul 23, 2011, 03:42 PM
I have absolutely no problems with my 13" i7. Dead silent all the day, no heat.

Have you done anything CPU intensive?

jbouklas
Jul 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
Good to know, thanks.

Did you exchange it for something else?

Today I'm going to order the 11" i5 with 256GB SSD as a replacement (unfortunately they don't have this one in the store). Don't want to have to worry about filling the 128GB when I use it.

Cynicalone
Jul 23, 2011, 03:48 PM
Have you done anything CPU intensive?

I think this evening I'll fire up handbrake and see if I can get this machine hot.

Brenzo
Jul 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
I don't believe my 11" i5 has breached 2,000 rpm. Running super cool as well.

activ8
Jul 23, 2011, 04:03 PM
If heat is a concern, why not put something under the laptop to solve that issue? Like a notepad? The battery life on the i7 is awesome now btw.

TheRealDamager
Jul 23, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have the 13" I7 and previously used a 2010 13". BOTH machines would get warm to the touch in the upper left right above the keyboard. The new machine is just as quiet as the 2010 machine - I haven't heard the fans at all yet.

My main interest between the I7 I have and the I5 is battery life - anyone have any idea what the effect on battery life might be?

activ8
Jul 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
Wouldn't it suck if you returned your i7 and got an i5 with 2 dead pixels?

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 04:09 PM
Ok guys I've got an update for you all. So all morning I've been testing the i7 and i5 that we have here. Here is what I found it. The i7 runs an average about 5-10 degrees warmer than the i5. I did the same exact test using the same exact app. When I opened all the apps at once, they opened at the same time. The only time where I noticed a difference in speed was when I was export high resolution wallpapers from iPhoto. The i7 was a tad faster by 1 image. Loading webpages say no difference. Copying large movie files, the same. Now keep in mind I'm judging by the human eye and I don't have a radar gun to tell me how fast they really real. Out of 4 reboots including cold starts they were the same expect once. The i7 just won by a tad. Maybe a second....maybe. There you go guys, hope this information helps you out. For those who think other wise, I've included a proof of both machines.

:cool:.............:eek: Maybe I should just swap for an i5 then since I paid for the SSD upgrade that I don't really need just so I can have the i7 but this is going to make me second guess myself even more :(

theSeb
Jul 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
I think this evening I'll fire up handbrake and see if I can get this machine hot.

I've already done this and documented the results here. The fans will go up to around 66xx. Yes, they will be noisy. I wouldn't expect anything else.

I am not sure why people think Apple and Intel should somehow bend the laws of physics.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1193767

kicknik
Jul 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
i have a 13in i7 and over the past couple days this is my experience:

When i do normal web browsing with some downloading and file transferring my fan is off and my computer is cool. When i am watching video on the web browser my fan goes on slightly but is still cool and when i watch HD downloaded video for 30 min to an hour, my fan gets pretty loud but it is effective in keeping my computer cool which i like. Then shorty after turning off the video the fan goes back to being silent.

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 04:12 PM
:cool:.............:eek: Maybe I should just swap for an i5 then since I paid for the SSD upgrade that I don't really need just so I can have the i7 but this is going to make me second guess myself even more :(

If you need the speed, then keep the i7. Like I said, it's a tad faster. But not that much faster. I've already boxed up the i7 and using her i5. I've yet to see any huge loss of speed. I did notice that PS on importing 50 high res photos, that the i7 wins be an easy 2-3 seconds.

KPOM
Jul 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
If you need the speed, then keep the i7. Like I said, it's a tad faster. But not that much faster. I've already boxed up the i7 and using her i5. I've yet to see any huge loss of speed. I did notice that PS on importing 50 high res photos, that the i7 wins be an easy 2-3 seconds.

Did you buy both the i7 and i5 knowing you'd keep only one, or are you going to purchase a replacement i5 for yourself? On the 13", the Core i7 is much less of an issue even on CPU-intensive tasks because the 1.7GHz Core i5 has a higher turbo boost than the 1.6GHz on the 11".

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 04:20 PM

Yeah if it's only a tiny bit faster I don't think I can justify the $400 markup, after all even running a bit hotter will consume more electricity and if the speed isn't all that much different, I'll be the i5 will save a bit more electricity and I'll have $400 back in my pocket. I don't really do any hardcore computing but I originally thought maybe since the i7 is better there will be less stress on the processor, heat and battery overall but now that I see that there is barely any difference it seems like a much less attractive option. I'm not much of a data hog either, I have 950gb free in my 1TB iMac

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 04:20 PM
Did you buy both the i7 and i5 knowing you'd keep only one, or are you going to purchase a replacement i5 for yourself? On the 13", the Core i7 is much less of an issue even on CPU-intensive tasks because the 1.7GHz Core i5 has a higher turbo boost than the 1.6GHz on the 11".

I bought the i5 for my wife and the i7 for myself. I originally went to the apple store to buy both i5. However me always wanting the maxed out version, i went i7 knowing that it can run hotter and battery drain faster. Kind of regret it now. So I boxed up the i7 set to exchange it for the i5. I don't do any heavy processing task. Photo editing will be the most, and I'm sure the i5 can handle it easily. It appears to at least.

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks Apple Expert and jbouklas. Think you saved me some time and grief. 5 - 10 degree's cooler is enough to make me want the i5.

Going to be a 13" i5/4/256 and 11" i5/4/256 for this household.

This time for fun I'm going to try and make the 11" my 'main machine' along with a 27" ACD. i5 should be quite capable running Fusion/win7 too.

Always have my Mac Pro at the office but right now my office of choice is sitting in my backyard on the coast of Georgian Bay, MacBook Air excels there :)

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 04:28 PM
I bought the i5 for my wife and the i7 for myself. I originally went to the apple store to buy both i5. However me always wanting the maxed out version, i went i7 knowing that it can run hotter and battery drain faster. Kind of regret it now. So I boxed up the i7 set to exchange it for the i5. I don't do any heavy processing task. Photo editing will be the most, and I'm sure the i5 can handle it easily. It appears to at least.

Do you think you'd be charged a restocking fee for the exchange of an open box?

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 04:29 PM

By the way, did you notice any difference in battery duration between the two?

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 04:56 PM
what sort of fan speeds are you guys getting when they are "loud" without there being any great cpu use but there is heat

striker33
Jul 23, 2011, 05:33 PM
It sounds more like people are buying the i7 without actually needing the i7 in the first place. Anyone needing the extra performance will buy it regardless of any extra heat. No matter what CPU you use it will always generate huge amounts of heat in the Airs when under load. Most people using their Airs are using it as an expensive netbook anyway.

Gamers will most likely get the i7 for the higher GPU clocks regardless.

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 05:51 PM
what sort of fan speeds are you guys getting when they are "loud" without there being any great cpu use but there is heat

With Safari, Mail, iTunes and iCal i was about 150 degrees. Fan would be about 4k rpm. I had the i5 and i7 open with 4 Safari tabs. Two yahoo home pages, man and you tube. Each website loaded the exact same time on both computer. While idling the i7 always ran about 10-15 warmer.

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 05:52 PM
By the way, did you notice any difference in battery duration between the two?

Battery has been better on i5. I would say maybe about 20 minutes longer. Of course more heat means more fan which decreases battery life.

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
With Safari, Mail, iTunes and iCal i was about 150 degrees. Fan would be about 4k rpm. I had the i5 and i7 open with 4 Safari tabs. Two yahoo home pages, man and you tube. Each website loaded the exact same time on both computer. While idling the i7 always ran about 10-15 warmer.

Forgive my ignorance but is that hot for what you were doing? sounds hot to me

What are "normal" temps for doing such things?

calvol
Jul 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
i7 is overkill for a machine like this.

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 06:06 PM

I'm doing those same task on an i5 with 130-135.

striker33
Jul 23, 2011, 06:14 PM

It is hot for what he's doing. My 15" Pro is the same since Lion was installed though.

Doing the same thing in Snow Leopard left me at 50c most of the time. Now its up to 62c-66c, and the fans regularly kick in.

Lion has dramatically increased OS activity for some reason, only time will tell if it gets fixed.

eckthroi
Jul 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
Your welcome. I'm just trying to help. But of course everyone will have their opinion. But I'll be exchanging mine for the i5. To bad too, because this one has no dead pixels and both the display and ssd are Samsung.

Sorry but I have just purchased my first mac and since until now I have never purchased a computer for more than $350 I have never bothered to learn about such things. (just happy if the comp lasted 2 years) How would I know if there were dead pixels? Also how can I tell if the ssd and display are samsung as opposed to LG?

macgrl
Jul 23, 2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the reply apple expert

From what striker33 said could it be lion that is the problem and not the i7 but then i suppose it would be an issue on all the new mba's

Jamooche
Jul 23, 2011, 06:22 PM
I've had my 13" i5 MacBook Air for 2 days now (my first mac) and have yet to hear the fan. I've watched HD video over wi-fi and downloaded large software updates. I had it on my lap for hours last night with shorts on and it never got above what I would call warm.

MattZani
Jul 23, 2011, 06:25 PM
Haven't seen my fans go over ~2000RPM except when I played some Portal (Where they almost instantly went to 6500RPM, maybe a precaution feature?) Literally silent in a silent room, breath taking.

mac jones
Jul 23, 2011, 06:36 PM
I've gone from the 11" 1.6GHZ to the 11" i7.

The i7 temp at idle is 55 C. The 1.6 ghz idle temp was around 45. The fans are quiet.

It's now a powerful machine in a small package, where previously it was an efficient machine in a small package.

your move :D

dugbug
Jul 23, 2011, 06:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you worry about fan noise don't get the 1.8 i7. It's benefit is negligible. The i5 in the air has all the features normally associated with the i7 except it has 1 mb less cache.

Early i5 CPUs lacked features such as hyperthreading but sandybridge loads the i5 up.

commerceguild
Jul 23, 2011, 06:47 PM
Hello, I'm glad to be here. I'll hope that you can help me.
Unfortunately I can not decide on a Prozessor for an MacBook Air 13".

I'd like to use it for 2 years and I only using it for work: Mail, iCal, Numbers, Pages. And private: Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes (Music, Movies, some Fun Games)

I don't now which a should choose for the 13 MBA: i5 with 1.7 GHz or i7 with 1.8 GHz?

- Regarding performance, what can I expect? What is the difference?
- Is it worth the investment of antother 100$?
- Regarding heat and battery life?

Thank you so much for helping me.

mac jones
Jul 23, 2011, 06:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you worry about fan noise don't get the 1.8 i7. It's benefit is negligible. The i5 in the air has all the features normally associated with the i7 except it has 1 mb less cache.

Early i5 CPUs lacked features such as hyperthreading but sandybridge loads the i5 up.

Oh, I don't think negligible is the right word for the 11". The 13" probably, but this stuff adds up :D

I had a perfectly good 16GHZ 11". I'm not going to upgrade to the same 1.6GHZ, even though it's not the same (if you no what I mean).

Heat is not an issue with me as I always use something in-between myself and the laptop.

dugbug
Jul 23, 2011, 08:26 PM
Oh, I don't think negligible is the right word for the 11". The 13" probably, but this stuff adds up :D

Well, for the 11" its only a 12% clock speed bumb from 1.6 to 1.8. Assuming you configure an i5 with 4GB RAM I doubt you would sense the difference other than a few ticks on a benchmark tool. Unless you know you need the 4MB cache (vs 3MB in the i5) I would still stay away from the i7.

If I could get the new 13" in 1.6 I would for the sake of heat alone. The Air is a tough environment for the CPU (ironic given its name :) )

Of course I have been living with a Rev B Air as my primary machine and hence I have placed a premium on the laptop's portability and accept the fact that it will occasionally struggle (get used to beachballs with safari). No matter WHAT size or cpu you get the thing will have several bad hair days ahead.

Still, once you get used to these laptops you just cannot stop using them. They are like crack! so everyone enjoy your new Sandybridge Air and know I am jealous until I upgrade :)

-d

Apple Expert
Jul 23, 2011, 08:32 PM
Just an update you guys. It seems like my i7 is now finally stable. It's hovering around 50 Celsius with many programs running. Today I left the machine running all day without going into sleep mode. I think it just may have need to index it self out. It's cool to the touch. Only time it got pretty warm was when I imported 11gb worth of photos into Aperture. That got to about 85 Celsius and 6k rpm. Keep in mind I won't be importing that daily. So far it appears to have cooled off quite a bit. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

Typswif2fingers
Jul 23, 2011, 09:43 PM
Just an update you guys. It seems like my i7 is now finally stable.

Mate, how much data did you bring in? Just wondering.

Having free 185 out of 250GBs, I never had the "problem" with initial heat and fan you experienced (assuming the indexing was the cause).

Mind you, all my machines have the same amount of memory used... All my other stuff (some 500GBs) is externally stored..

entatlrg
Jul 23, 2011, 09:54 PM
I've gone from the 11" 1.6GHZ to the 11" i7.

The i7 temp at idle is 55 C. The 1.6 ghz idle temp was around 45. The fans are quiet.

It's now a powerful machine in a small package, where previously it was an efficient machine in a small package.

your move :D

What made you upgrade? You're happier with the i7? Notice the difference in speed or battery life?

MacRumorUser
Jul 24, 2011, 01:53 AM
Well, for the 11" its only a 12% clock speed bumb from 1.6 to 1.8. :)

-d

Nope thats flawed. Your basing the machines on usage when not being worked , Your not taking into account turbo boost. 2.3 v 2.9 = 600 MHz difference. That is a sizeable percentage improvement when you actually need it.

DavidC1
Jul 24, 2011, 04:38 AM
Nope thats flawed. Your basing the machines on usage when not being worked , Your not taking into account turbo boost. 2.3 v 2.9 = 600 MHz difference. That is a sizeable percentage improvement when you actually need it.

Single thread: 2.9 vs 2.3 = 26%
Multi thread: 2.5 vs 2.0 = 25%

Yep, quite a difference there. There's also the extra MB of cache.

Coen0s
Jul 24, 2011, 05:07 AM
Damn! Just ordered the i7 MBA ultimate 2 days ago,
But now that i read all of the stories i' m getting worried.
The main reason i've orderd the 1.8ghz i7 isn't its clockspeed, i'm more interested in it's 4 mb L3 cache memory, because: A CPU cache is a cache used by the central processing unit of a computer to reduce the average time to access memory. The cache is a smaller, faster memory which stores copies of the data from the most frequently used main memory locations. As long as most memory accesses are cached memory locations, the average latency of memory accesses will be closer to the cache latency than to the latency of main memory.
When the processor needs to read from or write to a location in main memory, it first checks whether a copy of that data is in the cache. If so, the processor immediately reads from or writes to the cache, which is much faster than reading from or writing to main memory. (source: Wiki)

I thought the more memory the better 3vs4 is 25% more
And it rats 17w of power same as the i5, power is also heat
If the processor runs extremly hotter that the i5 it will need much more that 17w and so the battery life is also decreased.
WHAT TO DO:@
I still have the option to cancel the order and get one in stores tommorow,
If im cancelling an order what are the conditions ? Do i need to pay an % of the Total order?

Typswif2fingers
Jul 24, 2011, 05:21 AM
Damn! Just ordered the i7 MBA ultimate 2 days ago,
But now that i read all of the stories i' m getting worried.

Mate, you really don't have to worry.

:)

Vast majority of people with i7s do not report any issues (including me).

Some that did probably had increased heat due to indexing, it would appear...

Also, refer to this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196035).

In any case, good luck..

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

13" MBAs are simply terrific machines...

jeffg819
Jul 24, 2011, 05:24 AM
I don't think you need to pay a restocking fee on an unopened -- or unreceived -- order.

Also, I've had the i7 for a couple of days now and to this point I'm good with the operating temperature and noise level (very quiet). It's too soon in my time with the machine to comment on battery life.

I shared your apprehensions when I brought the machine home but I'm about 95% comfortable I made the right call for me.

DavidC1
Jul 24, 2011, 05:38 AM
I thought the more memory the better 3vs4 is 25% more
And it rats 17w of power same as the i5, power is also heat
If the processor runs extremly hotter that the i5 it will need much more that 17w and so the battery life is also decreased.

I find this a bit strange. When the first Sandy Bridge(2nd generation Core i3/i5/i7) reviews were out, they noted that unlike previous chips, having the CPU at max achieved better battery life since the power management was much more advanced, and faster CPU allowed it to idle faster. So if that carried onto the 17W CPUs, the i7's at least shouldn't have lower battery life compared to the i5.

Mr. Gates
Jul 24, 2011, 06:24 AM
The first Gen i7's were pretty bad with this issue, but I think you wil be alright with Sandy

Coen0s
Jul 24, 2011, 06:27 AM
I find this a bit strange. When the first Sandy Bridge(2nd generation Core i3/i5/i7) reviews were out, they noted that unlike previous chips, having the CPU at max achieved better battery life since the power management was much more advanced, and faster CPU allowed it to idle faster. So if that carried onto the 17W CPUs, the i7's at least shouldn't have lower battery life compared to the i5.

Originally Posted by Coen0s
I thought the more memory the better 3 vs 4mb is 25% more
and it eats 17w of power the same as the i5, power is heat
and if the processor runs extremly hotter than the i5, it will need much more than 17w of power and so the battery life is also decreased.

Some typing errors erased, that's what you get on a iPad

macgrl
Jul 24, 2011, 06:31 AM
Just an update you guys. It seems like my i7 is now finally stable. It's hovering around 50 Celsius with many programs running. Today I left the machine running all day without going into sleep mode. I think it just may have need to index it self out. It's cool to the touch. Only time it got pretty warm was when I imported 11gb worth of photos into Aperture. That got to about 85 Celsius and 6k rpm. Keep in mind I won't be importing that daily. So far it appears to have cooled off quite a bit. Hopefully it stays that way. :)

Are any other people finding that their 13 inch i7 is calming down after a bit of time to settle in

RobertFarkle
Jul 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
Hello Friends-

The 13" MacBook Air i7 was the first apple laptop I have ever returned. Basically, with any sort of build script or CPU usage about 50%, my MBA would sound like a 1U server (too loud to handle) and would become too hot to touch. The machine was not indexing. I talked to several other i7 users and some had the same problem and some didn't. While returning it in the Apple store, I used an i5 and ran the CPU up to 200+% playing multiple YouTube 1080 hd videos. And there was minimal heat on the top left keyboard. The fan seemed relatively silent, although the store was busy. I held it up to my ear and struggled to hear it.

Other people have commented that they can't believe people would be so picky about a computer having a fan noise when its working... But I would suggest they weren't hearing what I was hearing. This thing literally sounded like a jet and because the space is so small it had a bit of a whistle due to so much air flow. Running anything 3d would super heat the system in under 30 seconds.

I wasn't being picky. My i7 was not usable as a lap machine. It wasn't anything that you could run at a coffee shop without getting the wrong kind of looks. It wasn't what I expect for $1699. it was the best performing Mac I ever used but sounded like it should be left in a server room. I had dreams of joking it up to a new thunderbolt monitor, but didn't want all that noise sitting on my desk while video editing.

In summary... I think mine was probably defective. But... I still believe that the i7s are considerably hotter and a bit louder than the i5s and for those that don't like super hot machines or noisy ones... Get the i5. The extra speed isn't really worth it if you don't want to use it because of the heat and noise.

theSeb
Jul 25, 2011, 10:11 AM
Are any other people finding that their 13 inch i7 is calming down after a bit of time to settle in

Yup. Encoding during handbrake no longer breaks 90 degrees Celsius. I've just encoded a BR 1080p rip and the CPU temps went up to 89 and hovered around 76 for most of the time.

macgrl
Jul 25, 2011, 05:46 PM
Yup. Encoding during handbrake no longer breaks 90 degrees Celsius. I've just encoded a BR 1080p rip and the CPU temps went up to 89 and hovered around 76 for most of the time.

Excellent I am feeling a bit more confident about buying one now:)

Apple Expert
Jul 25, 2011, 06:43 PM
Mate, how much data did you bring in? Just wondering.

Having free 185 out of 250GBs, I never had the "problem" with initial heat and fan you experienced (assuming the indexing was the cause).

Mind you, all my machines have the same amount of memory used... All my other stuff (some 500GBs) is externally stored..

Currently have about 50gb free. I wonder if a higher data load on the ssd slows down the CPU.

Typswif2fingers
Jul 25, 2011, 06:59 PM
Currently have about 50gb free. I wonder if a higher data load on the ssd slows down the CPU.

Cheers... Just wondered due to the experience with the i7 first couple of days (hope it remains good now).

I read on xbench I think, either website or similar that "emptier" drive provides for faster test... Then again, I just had a look and can't find what I think I saw... So I really don't know.. But I am so sure I read that somewhere, just last night... Sorry..

But that is my agricultural understanding... Not sure if anyone would know more about it..

theSeb
Jul 25, 2011, 07:20 PM
I read on xbench I think, either website or similar that "emptier" drive provides for faster test...

That is correct. Check out Anandtech's SSD reviews for an explanation. I can't remember exactly where he mentions the details of this and I am too lazy to type my own explanation.

DavidC1
Jul 26, 2011, 12:08 AM
That is correct. Check out Anandtech's SSD reviews for an explanation. I can't remember exactly where he mentions the details of this and I am too lazy to type my own explanation.

The NAND flash memory used in SSD drives have a limited lifespan that can be a hindrance when not managed properly. Most of the SSDs use MLC NAND which means each bit(1 transistor per bit) can go through 10,000 read/erase/write cycles before the data retention becomes too low and reliability becomes an issue.

The controller chip is paired with the flash chips. The controller chip basically spreads data around to make sure no portion of the drive fails randomly, but rather predictably. Now how it does all this becomes rather complicated but the basic gist is that the reliability management is inherently tied to how it performs as well.

When you have empty space on the drive, the controller can use the empty space to do the "management" and move the data around as I mentioned above. The less there is, the lower performance it'll have and reduced lifespan.

One note: You'll never fill 100% of the drive because the SSD sets certain portion of the flash for the things it needs to do

In the end though, it turns out similar to regular platter HDDs that a full drive will have less performance than a empty one. From my personal experience, you'll start to notice slowdowns when the capacity is 75% or greater filled.

unagimiyagi
Jul 26, 2011, 02:18 AM
Oh crap, someone please tell me that I am not having a problem with my air:

Downloaded mozilla thunderbird. Just downloading my entire inbox I guess, and the fans are on max (> 6000). CPU temps is 82 or so. I have the i5 1.7 inch 13" mba.

Is this normal? I assume that the first time you load thunderbird it's downloading your entire inbox and that requires some indexing?

theSeb
Jul 26, 2011, 02:48 AM
Oh crap, someone please tell me that I am not having a problem with my air:

Downloaded mozilla thunderbird. Just downloading my entire inbox I guess, and the fans are on max (> 6000). CPU temps is 82 or so. I have the i5 1.7 inch 13" mba.

Is this normal? I assume that the first time you load thunderbird it's downloading your entire inbox and that requires some indexing?

It's fine.

Apple Expert
Jul 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
Did a couple of test when I go home with the MBA. Here are the results.

- Importing a music CD, i7 wins by 2 seconds.
- Boot up, hard to tell very very similar.
- Shut up, identical.
- Opening CS5 Photoshop, i7 by 1 second.
- Importing 25 high res photos, i7 by 3 seconds.

These are just a few test to prove the i7 is faster. Now the bad news. While doing these test the i7 did get warmer. Anywhere from 5-10 degrees. But still silent. So if your concerned about heat, then its pretty much for certain the i7 will generate more. However the fan will still be silent. Speed isn't really that much of an issue here. Actually the i5 did better than I thought. But hope this helps you guys with your decision of to go i5 or i7.

macjacky11
Jul 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
Is there a significant power difference between i5 and i7 in 11inch airs?

chillytaco
Jul 28, 2011, 01:58 AM
Hello, I'm glad to be here. I'll hope that you can help me.
Unfortunately I can not decide on a Prozessor for an MacBook Air 13".

I'd like to use it for 2 years and I only using it for work: Mail, iCal, Numbers, Pages. And private: Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes (Music, Movies, some Fun Games)

I don't now which a should choose for the 13 MBA: i5 with 1.7 GHz or i7 with 1.8 GHz?

- Regarding performance, what can I expect? What is the difference?
- Is it worth the investment of antother 100$?
- Regarding heat and battery life?

Thank you so much for helping me.

Regarding performance:

I had both the 13" MBA with the Core i5 1.7 GHz and the Core i7 1.8 GHz and decided to stick with the Core i7 1.8 GHz. For day-to-day apps (i.e. Mail, iCal, Numbers, Pages) you can expect slightly faster performance, such as apps opening just a tad quicker or web pages and tabs loading a little faster. If it was just these things, I'd say you'd be fine with the Core i5 as the differences are very small. Where you'll find the biggest performance gains are with Aperture or other more CPU intensive tasks. I find when encoding/converting movies (50-400 MB), the Core i7 is able to handle more files faster and in a shorter amount of time (differences of 35 seconds to 3.5 minutes depending on the file size)

Regarding heat and battery life:

theSeb has done an extensive post regarding heat with the Core i7 and I would definitely recommend reading that over. I'd just like to add that my laptop's performance has been similar to his and the heat is essentially a non-issue. The only times my fans have kicked in were when I've encoded multiple videos simultaneously. When I converted 9 videos to an iOS compatible format, the laptop did become warm (not hot) and the fans kicked up to about 7500 RPM. Once the encoding was completed, the fans and temperature quickly went down. Aside from these times, my Core i7 runs cool and silent. As far as battery life, I seem to be getting the advertised 7 hours; however, I tend to just plug and unplug as I need so I can't really give you a hard benchmark.

Is it worth the investment?

Again, if it's just day-to-day stuff or you don't do CPU intensive tasks that often, I'd say you'd be fine with the Core i5. If you'd like a little more power for Aperture or other apps, the Core i7 will save you some time. My only hesitation for recommending the Core i5 is that you said you plan to use it for 2 years. At $100, it's not too much extra (relative to the total price of the laptop) to ensure yourself a little power in the future. If you're hesitation about the i7 is because of heat rather than whether or not you need the performance, all I have to say is that my i7 ran the same as the i5. Basically with the i7, you have a computer that runs just as cool (or hot) as the i5, with the extra performance when you need it.

I've attached two screenshots. One is of mission control with these apps running: nvALT, Mail, Casino Royale HD, Excel, Safari with 3 tabs, iCal, and a Finder window. The other is the iStats with those apps running.

If you're wondering, I have the 2011 13" MBA Core i7 with Samsung SSD and display. Hope this helps.

slackie
Jul 28, 2011, 04:02 AM
I've installed istat and still get that heat. No indexing going on either. I'm going to use it till next week. Then will see.

Mine stays cool as ice as long as I don't have anything connected to the USB-ports (even a mouse stick does it). Also the battery status impacts, if it is charged it tends to be alot cooler.

entatlrg
Jul 30, 2011, 11:47 AM
Regarding performance:

I had both the 13" MBA with the Core i5 1.7 GHz and the Core i7 1.8 GHz and decided to stick with the Core i7 1.8 GHz. For day-to-day apps (i.e. Mail, iCal, Numbers, Pages) you can expect slightly faster performance, such as apps opening just a tad quicker or web pages and tabs loading a little faster. If it was just these things, I'd say you'd be fine with the Core i5 as the differences are very small. Where you'll find the biggest performance gains are with Aperture or other more CPU intensive tasks. I find when encoding/converting movies (50-400 MB), the Core i7 is able to handle more files faster and in a shorter amount of time (differences of 35 seconds to 3.5 minutes depending on the file size)

Regarding heat and battery life:

theSeb has done an extensive post regarding heat with the Core i7 and I would definitely recommend reading that over. I'd just like to add that my laptop's performance has been similar to his and the heat is essentially a non-issue. The only times my fans have kicked in were when I've encoded multiple videos simultaneously. When I converted 9 videos to an iOS compatible format, the laptop did become warm (not hot) and the fans kicked up to about 7500 RPM. Once the encoding was completed, the fans and temperature quickly went down. Aside from these times, my Core i7 runs cool and silent. As far as battery life, I seem to be getting the advertised 7 hours; however, I tend to just plug and unplug as I need so I can't really give you a hard benchmark.

Is it worth the investment?

Again, if it's just day-to-day stuff or you don't do CPU intensive tasks that often, I'd say you'd be fine with the Core i5. If you'd like a little more power for Aperture or other apps, the Core i7 will save you some time. My only hesitation for recommending the Core i5 is that you said you plan to use it for 2 years. At $100, it's not too much extra (relative to the total price of the laptop) to ensure yourself a little power in the future. If you're hesitation about the i7 is because of heat rather than whether or not you need the performance, all I have to say is that my i7 ran the same as the i5. Basically with the i7, you have a computer that runs just as cool (or hot) as the i5, with the extra performance when you need it.

I've attached two screenshots. One is of mission control with these apps running: nvALT, Mail, Casino Royale HD, Excel, Safari with 3 tabs, iCal, and a Finder window. The other is the iStats with those apps running.

If you're wondering, I have the 2011 13" MBA Core i7 with Samsung SSD and display. Hope this helps.

64C is impressive with those app's running, my i7 I'm sure ran hotter doing similar tasks, maybe it was defective?

Although I am happy with the i5 I got in exchange for the i7 ... but always have speed and longevity in the back of my mind.

In my experience comparing the two side by side the bottom and palm rests on the i7 were noticeably warmer when slightly pushed ... idling not so noticeable ... open up an ai file, play a 720p video then the difference was noticeable right away.

Anyone else? The more feedback the better.

Apple Expert
Jul 30, 2011, 12:14 PM
64C is impressive with those app's running, my i7 I'm sure ran hotter doing similar tasks, maybe it was defective?

Although I am happy with the i5 I got in exchange for the i7 ... but always have speed and longevity in the back of my mind.

In my experience comparing the two side by side the bottom and palm rests on the i7 were noticeably warmer when slightly pushed ... idling not so noticeable ... open up an ai file, play a 720p video then the difference was noticeable right away.

Anyone else? The more feedback the better.

I no longer have my i7 since I went to i5. It does run alot cooler. My temps seem to be a good 10C cooler. So far so good. I'm sure it will be nice to have the i7 that was cooler, but probably not possible. Lots of you are say it runs cool for what it is. Which I'm sure, but until you have both in front of you with same ssd and same programs running, it's hard to make an accurate judgement. So far I'm a happy camper. Speed hasn't been a factor yet. So I can't really compare.

sprockett
Jul 30, 2011, 01:14 PM
I no longer have my i7 since I went to i5. It does run alot cooler. My temps seem to be a good 10C cooler. So far so good. I'm sure it will be nice to have the i7 that was cooler, but probably not possible. Lots of you are say it runs cool for what it is. Which I'm sure, but until you have both in front of you with same ssd and same programs running, it's hard to make an accurate judgement. So far I'm a happy camper. Speed hasn't been a factor yet. So I can't really compare.

apple expert, i too went from i7 and i5. Really happy with i5 and not really perceiving the speed loss!

h00ligan
Jul 30, 2011, 01:25 PM
Are you all just using temperature monitor to get temps?

Apple Expert
Jul 30, 2011, 01:51 PM
apple expert, i too went from i7 and i5. Really happy with i5 and not really perceiving the speed loss!

Same here. Only tome I saw the difference is wen I installed cs5. The i7 did if faster by about 15 seconds. But the i5 had lower temps and lower fan rpm. I'll take that since its a one time install.

Apple Expert
Jul 30, 2011, 01:52 PM
Are you all just using temperature monitor to get temps?

Yes, istat or desktop monitor.

Jeremy.Gray
Jul 30, 2011, 02:02 PM
My 11" MBA hasn't gotten hot or had its fans turn up for any of my normal, day-to-day tasks. However, after playing CoD 4 for 10+ minutes, the fans do kick on, but the computer still doesn't get that hot. I don't know, I don't regret my purchase. If I was smarter, I'd just stay off of these forums so I wouldn't have to stumble across all these threads that make me feel like I made a poor purchase or something haha.

macgrl
Jul 30, 2011, 02:30 PM
With the 13 inch are the i5's running cooler than the i7 as it is a smaller processor or because there are no heat defects / problems with the i5?

Are there two camps with the i5 as with the i7 of heat and cooler models?

The bottom line for me is if I get an i7 how can I tell if it is defective with heat issues and if it is defective are apple accepting of the problem and will they swap it out (even after the 14 days return period) or do they not accept the problem ?

h00ligan
Jul 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
Running a diglloyd benchmark in cs5 my 13" i7 went as high as 95c on the cores. But temps outside of the cores were much more reasonable. the bottom was warm. Even hot in one spot. But it was nothing compared to my 2007 Santa rosa mbp.

Another interesting point: run on a bed or on a laptop stand (where there is space below) had little or no impact on temps.

3goldens
Jul 30, 2011, 04:25 PM
I did order the I5 the other day, and actually went into the fifth avenue store to see how some of there demo units were running. MOst were i5's and most were pretty dam cool. I was really surprised at this actually seeing as though they run em pretty much 24 hours a day.

Now with my original mac air, the last gen, I could sit with the dam thing in my lap and not have it cooking the crap out of my thigh.

Temps are generally reading btw 50-60c and I'm not running a lot of stuff, surf browsing, mail mostly, and I feel the heat from this I7 in my lap. Its about the same as my my macbook unibody with a 256 ssd. Sucks.

I'm going to test both of these suckers together next week when I get them and see if there is a difference. But while I see a lot of worry about fan speed and such here, I don't hear that much about the warmth one feels if your just using it on ones lap.

It bothers me, have to be honest. Just not used to it after enjoying a relatively cool experience with the last gen air.

I originally set this up from files from a time capsule any chance I have things running I shouldn't have running warming this thing up? would a clean install do anything?

LightOnAHill
Jul 30, 2011, 04:54 PM
Ive only had my 11" i7 256 4gb for a few days, and here are my conclusions.

It is awesome, for me, temp wise.

When i'm running on a battery, doing internet browsing, research, writing documents and e-mails, and even light video viewing online, the whole computer stays cool on the bottom, and there is a feeling of warmth that I can only feel when i lay my hands flat on the keyboard. While typing (like right now), i don't feel any heat coming off the laptop.

When i'm running on AC it's a slightly different story. When the battery is charging, then the whole bottom of the laptop heats up (mostly where the batteries are, based on the tear down pics), and I have a lot of experience with li-ion, and it's not abnormal for them to heat up as they are charged.

When the battery is charged, and the machine is off, and plugged in, and I turn it on and do the same basic use stuff as I mentioned above, the heat is the same as above.

When I installed office, and was messing around with parrells, the bottom of the computer below the hand-pad did warm up, but the hand pad stayed only at the temperature that my hands left it, and as my hands were resting on the base below the keyboard, as I typed, it didn't continue to heat any more.

ALL OF THIS is far better than the thinkpad x61s duo core that I was running, which would get hot and the fan, though quiet, would work hard.

I have had similar experience with this MBA sitting on my lap, on a pillow, or on a flat wooden table. The base will warm up, not get hot, when sitting on my lap if I'm installing something or using the CPU.

I'm just happy there isn't the "buzzzzzzz" of my last laptop! And, it's day 3 of me using any MAC OS, but I'm really enjoying it (as a windows user from before DOS3.0, though I did have an apple 2c).

If you're worried and want the i7, this is my story and I'm glad I did the i7.

DarwinOSX
Jul 30, 2011, 07:23 PM
Ithe only time the fan came on was during x code install which is a pile of rubbish anyway and I got rid of it.

Yet somehow people who actually know something about development think it is great.

macgrl
Jul 30, 2011, 07:46 PM
At the moment I have a 2.53 late 2008 mbp with the ssd which why I think I am having trouble deciding between the i7 And the i5. If it wasn't for the heat issues I would just get the i7 no question.

So being realistic about what I will use the machine for ( it will be the same as what I currently use the mBp for) - Skype. Ms office for mac. Aperture. Internet. mail. iTunes. YouTube and running windOws via some method

Firstly would I notice any real difference between the air and my current Mbp and secondly would there be any great difference in the i5 and i7. If not I may as well get the i5 ?

Conversely would the i7 be better in an odd way as what I would be doing would nit be intensive enough to heat it up?

Apple Expert
Jul 30, 2011, 08:21 PM
This is odd. My i5 is running nearly the same temps at the i7 did. I wonder if it has anything to do with the actual OS or the programs. When it's idle, the i5 wins. But who buys a computer to have it idle all day?

h00ligan
Jul 30, 2011, 08:28 PM
That would stand to reason. Think about architecture and chip selection.

brentsg
Jul 30, 2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks Apple Expert and jbouklas. Think you saved me some time and grief. 5 - 10 degree's cooler is enough to make me want the i5.

This is one data point. There's easily this much variance or more, simply due to inconsistent application of thermal material between two duplicate machines.

enojado
Jul 31, 2011, 01:36 AM
Hmmm, I have the 13in. i7 1.8ghz model and my cpu (using iStat) gets up to almost 95 Celsius when watching 1080p youtube video.

This is with mail and ical running and with firefox with 7 or so tabs open.

Thoughts?

Executor
Jul 31, 2011, 02:54 AM
Hmmm, I have the 13in. i7 1.8ghz model and my cpu (using iStat) gets up to almost 95 Celsius when watching 1080p youtube video.

Thoughts?

Something is appears to be wrong with your unit. My 13in. i7 1.8Ghz never gets past 89 degress And that is playing World of Warcraft. During regular web browsing and video playback it is even less, usually 60 degrees or so.

lyrrad721
Jul 31, 2011, 03:05 AM
I was installing Windows 7 64 earlier tonight and the screen is at 100% the first moment the computer restarts to run the installation. My 13'' i5 MBA ran pretty cool during the entire process. I've also watched 1080p videos and didn't notice it getting real hot.

huschpuscheli
Jul 31, 2011, 03:27 AM
can somebody explain me why the i7 should get warmer than the i5 while both have the same tdp of 17 watts?

Asmod4n
Jul 31, 2011, 04:28 AM

Thoughts?

go to youtube.com/html5 and activate it, if you have installed flash remove it and get chrome for sites which only work with flash.

dedekillaz
Jul 31, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone,

We recently got a 13" i7 Macbook Air because of its portability. But we found out that it overheats and generates extremely loud fan noise. It is so loud that its noise exceeds my quad core workstation class laptop under heavy load. We find this unacceptable since we are not trying to do heavy 3D work or anything like that on the MBA as we do on our other laptop.
We will return our Macbook Air i7 today because of the overheating and excessive fan noise. We will get an i5 model instead and I will post my findings here so that it may help you on your decisions.

Best

calvol
Jul 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
We will return our Macbook Air i7 today because of the overheating and excessive fan noise. We will get an i5 model instead and I will post my findings here so that it may help you on your decisions.

If you're wanting max battery life for light duty computing, you might want a 2010 model. It got about 25% more battery life in Anand's review. I'm getting 10+ hours on my 2010 with Coolbook, I think Anand got 11+ hours in one of his tests.

Apple Expert
Jul 31, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hi everyone,

We recently got a 13" i7 Macbook Air because of its portability. But we found out that it overheats and generates extremely loud fan noise. It is so loud that its noise exceeds my quad core workstation class laptop under heavy load. We find this unacceptable since we are not trying to do heavy 3D work or anything like that on the MBA as we do on our other laptop.

Best

Might want to give it a day or two. The computer is probably indexing itself and should iron itself out over the next few days.

h00ligan
Jul 31, 2011, 08:27 PM
Something is appears to be wrong with your unit. My 13in. i7 1.8Ghz never gets past 89 degress And that is playing World of Warcraft. During regular web browsing and video playback it is even less, usually 60 degrees or so.

Mine hit 95 on the benchmark I ran.

dedekillaz
Jul 31, 2011, 08:27 PM
Might want to give it a day or two. The computer is probably indexing itself and should iron itself out over the next few days.

It's been running for 4 days now. I checked the processes during the excessive fan noise but there were no processes that used cpu by the time. I prefer a little more silent laptop than a little faster one. I don't need the extra 10% performance anyway. Our primary reason for choosing the i7 over i5 at Apple Store was because we change our gear every 6 months and we thought that i7 could be easier to sell because of being the top of the line. But apparently we were wrong, because if I would've seen these discussions before we picked up our MBA, I would've definitely gone with the i5.

macgrl
Aug 1, 2011, 02:01 AM
Hi applexpert you have the i5 now after swapping it the i7? How are you finding the i5 for your needs. Is there any noticeable difference from the i7 other than heat?

MacLappy
Aug 1, 2011, 02:12 AM
13 base here, world of warcraft seems to always be at 77 even when raiding maybe take some time for the fan to spin up. Really should not be so high.

weespeed
Aug 1, 2011, 03:00 AM

Thoughts?

I just tested my i7.
With one youtube video at 1080p playing in fullscreen, temp spikes to 95c then the fans kick in to about 4k+. Then the temp drops to about 67-70c and the fans start to spin down to 3k.

I then opened up 2 more tabs in chrome and played 2 more 1080p videos in youtube. The temp stayed at 90-95c and the fan was at 5k+. And it got quite warm on the top left and bottom left.

I had the i5 before the i7 and it does run a lil cooler, but when pushed it gets just as hot.

I think it's just the design of the Air and actually of all the aluminum Macbooks. It's gonna get hot period. My old 1,2 MBP 17" literally gets hotter and the whole top half of the keyboard is uncomfortable to use.
So this is actually not bad. I've noticed all the MBP run hotter.

It's just the design.

macgrl
Aug 1, 2011, 04:56 AM
Hi weespeed. Will that sort of heat over a long period of time cause damage internally to the machine? Is that he sort of thing AppleCare would cover it if so ?:)

Apple Expert
Aug 1, 2011, 07:54 AM
Hi applexpert you have the i5 now after swapping it the i7? How are you finding the i5 for your needs. Is there any noticeable difference from the i7 other than heat?

I did exchange the i7 for i5. So far it's done the job with less heat. Speed wise I really haven't noticed a difference. The apps open on the first bounce or sooner. Except for photoshop which is two. I do missing not owning the i7. I'm so used to buying the ultimate models. :D

3goldens
Aug 1, 2011, 09:22 AM
I just tested my i7.
With one youtube video at 1080p playing in fullscreen, temp spikes to 95c then the fans kick in to about 4k+. Then the temp drops to about 67-70c and the fans start to spin down to 3k.

I then opened up 2 more tabs in chrome and played 2 more 1080p videos in youtube. The temp stayed at 90-95c and the fan was at 5k+. And it got quite warm on the top left and bottom left.

I had the i5 before the i7 and it does run a lil cooler, but when pushed it gets just as hot.

I think it's just the design of the Air and actually of all the aluminum Macbooks. It's gonna get hot period. My old 1,2 MBP 17" literally gets hotter and the whole top half of the keyboard is uncomfortable to use.
So this is actually not bad. I've noticed all the MBP run hotter.

It's just the design.

Disagree & Agree

Yes Macbook Pro's is a warm running unit, all of them.
&
No the last gen Air did not heat up like the current I7 I have right now on my lap. I don't care what the temp says on the screen, I care whether I'm comfortable using it for a period of time and more than 5 minutes and not getting third degree burns.

This i7 is hot, period end of story. Now if I may very well have a defective one and I am thinking of going to the idiot bar to find out. But this is not what I bought into. I liked the last gen and the relatively cool experience I had using it, never got toasty at all.

Frankly the only reason I got this was for the backlit keyboard and I have had it off most of the time because I did not want it to get any warmer using it.

My unibody macbook pro doesn't get this warm on the bottom and on the track pad.

KPOM
Aug 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
My 11" i7 definitely gets warm under the top left corner, but I don't consider it uncomfortably so. It does seem warmer than my 2010, but given that it's turbo boost up to 2.6GHz that's to be expected. My 2010 was a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo model.

That said, after a few minutes of idle, it is back to normal. It heats up quickly, but also cools quickly.

entatlrg
Aug 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
Disagree & Agree

Try the i5. That may solve the problem.

Apple Expert
Aug 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
I think any of the sandy bridge processors will heat up when pushed. It's probably just the chip design.

weespeed
Aug 1, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hi weespeed. Will that sort of heat over a long period of time cause damage internally to the machine? Is that he sort of thing AppleCare would cover it if so ?:)

I can't tell you what it will do to the new Air. But heat is a killer to electronic components.

I can only tell you my old 1,2 17" MBP gets way hotter and is still working. It's just slow and only limited to 2gb ram.

weespeed
Aug 1, 2011, 03:01 PM
Disagree & Agree

I agree that the Air with i7 gets hot. What I noticed with my i5 before I exchanged it with my i7 is that they both got hot when pushed.

The i5 was cooler doing regular things like surfing and email etc.

And I agree that for some the heat may be an issue. It bothers me a little too, and I've been going back and forth on whether I should return the Air and get a maxed out 13" MBP. It's hard because I love the form factor of the Air.

And going back to an i5 for me is the same as an i7, just a lil cooler at idle but still gets toasty when pushed.

I just ran another a test with a coworkers 13" MBP core2duo. Running 3 1080p videos on chrome his temp was at 77c, but his fans were screaming at 6.5k rpms. I can only guess that the new MBP with i7 will do the dame but get as hot as an air. I'll try and get a hold of a new 15" MBP with i7. We just purchased one for a sales rep. Hope he lets me test it.

Apple Expert
Aug 1, 2011, 03:51 PM
I agree that the Air with i7 gets hot. What I noticed with my i5 before I exchanged it with my i7 is that they both got hot when pushed.

The i5 was cooler doing regular things like surfing and email etc.

And I agree that for some the heat may be an issue. It bothers me a little too, and I've been going back and forth on whether I should return the Air and get a maxed out 13" MBP. It's hard because I love the form factor of the Air.

And going back to an i5 for me is the same as an i7, just a lil cooler at idle but still gets toasty when pushed.

I just ran another a test with a coworkers 13" MBP core2duo. Running 3 1080p videos on chrome his temp was at 77c, but his fans were screaming at 6.5k rpms. I can only guess that the new MBP with i7 will do the dame but get as hot as an air. I'll try and get a hold of a new 15" MBP with i7. We just purchased one for a sales rep. Hope he lets me test it.

Seems like all of the i7 get pretty warm. It's just a matter of what you want. Faster speed, but you get warmer temps. Slower speed, cooler temps. Plain and simple. It appear with these CPUs we can't have our cake and eat it. :rolleyes:

Mac32
Aug 1, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hopefully the guy who makes CoolBookController could make it compatible with i5/i7 CPUs, then the i7 version could end up having a much nicer temp. That's also one reason I'm keeping my MBA 11' 2010 at least one more year. Using CBP you get a very cool computer and long lasting battery.

weespeed
Aug 1, 2011, 05:50 PM
Seems like all of the i7 get pretty warm. It's just a matter of what you want. Faster speed, but you get warmer temps. Slower speed, cooler temps. Plain and simple. It appear with these CPUs we can't have our cake and eat it. :rolleyes:

That's the way I see it. Can't really complain about the heat. It's a lot of power coming form such a small laptop.
The heat doesn't bother me really. It's the battery life that I'm more concerned with.

I get 4.5 to 5 hours. Getting the Air I was expecting 7 hours. I guess "up to 7 hours" means just letting the Air sit there with brightness at 1 notch and email fetching every other hour.

Apple Expert
Aug 1, 2011, 06:01 PM
That's the way I see it. Can't really complain about the heat. It's a lot of power coming form such a small laptop.
The heat doesn't bother me really. It's the battery life that I'm more concerned with.

I get 4.5 to 5 hours. Getting the Air I was expecting 7 hours. I guess "up to 7 hours" means just letting the Air sit there with brightness at 1 notch and email fetching every other hour.

I agree on the amount of power the i7 has inside. It's a beast in a small footprint. Thinking of i7 mows me want to dump my i5 for this. :D

entatlrg
Aug 1, 2011, 06:26 PM
I agree on the amount of power the i7 has inside. It's a beast in a small footprint. Thinking of i7 mows me want to dump my i5 for this. :D

For the 11" yes, much more power.

The 13" power difference between the i5/i7 isn't much. From my personal experience not enough to warrant the trade off in heat, fan noise and battery life.

For that reason in my situation the i5 is an upgrade from my i7. I do have my Mac Pro for any serious heavy lifting any way :p

Apple Expert
Aug 1, 2011, 06:48 PM
For the 11" yes, much more power.

The 13" power difference between the i5/i7 isn't much. From my personal experience not enough to warrant the trade off in heat, fan noise and battery life.

For that reason in my situation the i5 is an upgrade from my i7. I do have my Mac Pro for any serious heavy lifting any way :p

I agree. Besides I'll proabably just end up upgrading next year anyways. How come your signature says i7 then?

KPOM
Aug 1, 2011, 07:13 PM

Oh, so you are going to be "that guy" now, aren't you? :D

i7. No wait! i5. No wait! i7...

Apple Expert
Aug 1, 2011, 07:16 PM
Oh, so you are going to be "that guy" now, aren't you? :D

Doubt it. Even though I was offered the i7 at the i5 education discounted price. I didn't bite on that.

magbarn
Aug 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hopefully the guy who makes CoolBookController could make it compatible with i5/i7 CPUs, then the i7 version could end up having a much nicer temp. That's also one reason I'm keeping my MBA 11' 2010 at least one more year. Using CBP you get a very cool computer and long lasting battery.

I seriously doubt it as Intel took that ability away starting with the clarkdale i5/i7's. No one on either the OSX/Win7 side has been able to alter voltages on i5/i7 without BIOS support and I doubt Apple will be giving us that any time soon.

MacRumorUser
Aug 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
Have yet to install iStat but from just initial observation I don't find any particular difference in heat on the new i7 1.8 11" to my previous 1.4 Core2 11". Damn site faster though.

mstern8
Aug 2, 2011, 10:10 AM
Have yet to install iStat but from just initial observation I don't find any particular difference in heat on the new i7 1.8 11" to my previous 1.4 Core2 11". Damn site faster though.

I just received my 11" i7 yesterday and so far... I LOVE IT!!

It is not very hot. When I was installing my programs yesterday it did reach low 70c..

Now, I currently have Chrome, iTunes, Mail, iCal, Word, Powerpoint and Pokerstars running and my computer is at 56c and dropping.
Add a youtube video and it stays at 61c.

This is actually cooler than my 1st generation MBA.
I am so happy with my purchase... SUPER FAST :D

Apple Expert
Aug 2, 2011, 10:27 AM
I just received my 11" i7 yesterday and so far... I LOVE IT!!

It is not very hot. When I was installing my programs yesterday it did reach low 70c..

Now, I currently have Chrome, iTunes, Mail, iCal, Word, Powerpoint and Pokerstars running and my computer is at 56c and dropping.
Add a youtube video and it stays at 61c.

This is actually cooler than my 1st generation MBA.
I am so happy with my purchase... SUPER FAST :D

Those are good temps for your task. Sounds like you got a keeper.

MacRumorUser
Aug 2, 2011, 10:35 AM
Those are good temps for your task. Sounds like you got a keeper.

I'm experiencing same kind of temps after installing all my applications and indexing my external design drive :)

It's hovering around 49c whilst iTunes is pumping out a few tracks, iPhoto indexing faces and mail, things, ical, safari all open and software update is downloading a java update...

Wolfpup
Aug 2, 2011, 10:36 AM

Plus they're both going to be running the same speeds if it doesn't need the extra power...the only time it's using more power is if it's clocking itself faster, and at that point...

entatlrg
Aug 2, 2011, 10:39 AM
Okay, so 164 posts later ...

i5 vs i7 in the 2011 MBA's ... heat and fan noise ... what's the bottom line??

Is there a "noticeable" difference?

I've had both and tested both in the 13"... real world use. (Anyone else? Please post results.)

- Yes, I noticed the i7 ran warmer than the i5 doing anything except idling. Especially noticeable when typing on my lap with shorts on which I do often, for me cooler is better.

- Yes, I heard the fans more often with the i7, and they go at max speeds more often, the i5's fan isn't as quick to come on when pushing it, and they didn't to ramp up to max speed as often, therefore the i5 seems quieter.

- Regrettably I didn't test the battery life between the two before returned the i7. From what I've read there's no difference to 30 minutes difference, have to test yourself to know for sure.

Based on the tasks I use a computer for the i5 felt cooler to touch on the bottom and it was the quieter of the two machines.

MacFever
Aug 2, 2011, 10:51 AM
i don't have an AIR yet...but reading through the posts I notice some persons seem to have cool 13" i7's like 50/50 and others not so much.....it almost seems like it may be a thermal paste issue on some of the builds...

Apple Expert
Aug 2, 2011, 11:02 AM

I've had both and tested both in the 13"... real world use. (Anyone else? Please post results.)

- Yes, I noticed the i7 ran warmer than the i5 doing anything except idling. Especially noticeable when typing on my lap with shorts on which I do often, for me cooler is better.

- Yes, I heard the fans more often with the i7, and they go at max speeds more often, the i5's fan isn't as quick to come on when pushing it, and they didn't to ramp up to max speed as often, therefore the i5 seems quieter.

- Regrettably I didn't test the battery life between the two before returned the i7. From what I've read there's no difference to 30 minutes difference, have to test yourself to know for sure.

Based on the tasks I use a computer for the i5 felt cooler to touch on the bottom and it was the quieter of the two machines.

I agree. But it may be that the build process was slightly off, possibly a reason why some were built cooler than others. Wish we had an absolute answer on this. Seems to be a split decision on which is cooler.

mstern8
Aug 2, 2011, 11:09 AM

To be honest..
I never would put my computer directly on my lap..
I always put my case between my legs and the computer.
I also spoke to my brother-in-law (he is in computers) about this and he said that if you put the laptop on your legs, you are more likely to block the fans than when it is on a flat surface - thus, the computer might run warmer.

entatlrg
Aug 2, 2011, 11:21 AM
I agree. But it may be that the build process was slightly off, possibly a reason why some were built cooler than others. Wish we had an absolute answer on this. Seems to be a split decision on which is cooler.

Right, and during production fine tuning and tweaking is always done, as they gather test results and feedback.

I think if the i7 was a huge problem this forum would be bursting with complaints.

For me personally the difference was really noticeable, not the speed rather the 'difference between the two' with in heat from the bottom of the unit and the palm rests.

Everyone in my office agreed, decision was easy after that.

Where is gets confusing is reading here. First, not many have both in hand to compare it to, so "my i7 is cool and quiet" is good to read, but compared to the i5 how is it?

I read about the speed on the 11" i7 being noticeable over the i5 ... that has me interested, but man my i5 runs cool and quiet and I never hear the fans, I wouldn't give that up to save a few seconds or minute doing heavily lifting tasks which I don't often do anyway ...

Grimmy
Aug 2, 2011, 11:22 AM
I have the 11" i5 and it gets noticeably hot when running flash video - the fan sometimes ramps up to "hairdryer mode" ~6000rpm which is unbearably loud unless I am wearing headphones, then it just annoys my wife :P

Wolfpup
Aug 2, 2011, 11:26 AM
I have wondered if there's a big difference between the 11 and 13...

That i7 in them at least on paper is able to overclock itself to as fast as the slowest 13" Macbook Pro's CPU...though that would depend on heat and the like too. The 13" Air presumably already has worse cooling, and the 11" more so.

Heh...if I end up going with the 1.7GHz i5, at least I'll feel like "oh, I'm doing it because of the heat" ;) Even though really I'd be doing it because you can get it from other stores.

Apple Expert
Aug 2, 2011, 11:31 AM
Right, and during production fine tuning and tweaking is always done, as they gather test results and feedback.

I think if the i7 was a huge problem this forum would be bursting with complaints.

For me personally the difference was really noticeable, not the speed rather the 'difference between the two' with in heat from the bottom of the unit and the palm rests.

Everyone in my office agreed, decision was easy after that.

Where is gets confusing is reading here. First, not many have both in hand to compare it to, so "my i7 is cool and quiet" is good to read, but compared to the i5 how is it?

I read about the speed on the 11" i7 being noticeable over the i5 ... that has me interested, but man my i5 runs cool and quiet and I never hear the fans, I wouldn't give that up to save a few seconds or minute doing heavily lifting tasks which I don't often do anyway ...

Your right. My i5 is cool and quite. My wife has the better i5 in the house. Hers is always in the upper 30s to early 40s. I'm going to get mime exchanged because the screen has some dead pixels. But will be sticking with i5 since I got on the best buy deal. Paid a little over 1500 out the door. :D

charpi
Aug 2, 2011, 11:36 AM
Would just like to ask.

It is unhealthy for the computer to let the CPU get hot (85C and above) for extended periods, maybe for a single charge of the machine? (Maybe around 3h if the machine is running that hot).

I know it would be uncomfortable for the user, but from the computer's perspective, would it be ok to maintain such high temperatures, provided it does not overheat (over 100C)?

Wolfpup
Aug 2, 2011, 11:36 AM
Your right. My i5 is cool and quite. My wife has the better i5 in the house. Hers is always in the upper 30s to early 40s. I'm going to get mime exchanged because the screen has some dead pixels. But will be sticking with i5 since I got on the best buy deal. Paid a little over 1500 out the door. :D

Crud...what was the Best Buy deal, and how'd I miss it?!? :D

I love that Best Buy seems to be getting competitive now...they've been beating Amazon on different things.

Apple Expert
Aug 2, 2011, 11:40 AM
Crud...what was the Best Buy deal, and how'd I miss it?!? :D

I love that Best Buy seems to be getting competitive now...they've been beating Amazon on different things.

They matched apples 100 gift card offer. But they didn't know how to apply it to purchase so they just took 100 off the price. I didn't get on the triple reward zone event, but I think most would rather pay less than have a gift card.

Apple Expert
Aug 2, 2011, 11:43 AM
Would just like to ask.

It is unhealthy for the computer to let the CPU get hot (85C and above) for extended periods, maybe for a single charge of the machine? (Maybe around 3h if the machine is running that hot).

I know it would be uncomfortable for the user, but from the computer's perspective, would it be ok to maintain such high temperatures, provided it does not overheat (over 100C)?

The CPU will shut off when it gets too hot. This is done automatically. The heat coming from the CPU will just make the user uncomfortable, but still vary much usable.

BJonson
Aug 2, 2011, 11:45 AM
I think its luck of the draw. When I got my i7 1.8 it idled at 60c. Then it came down to 50c now it idles at 39c. I think the thermal paste needs time to set then its smooth sailing. Glad I kept the 1.8 i7, its a screamer and seems to be running very cool.

Wolfpup
Aug 2, 2011, 11:55 AM
They matched apples 100 gift card offer. But they didn't know how to apply it to purchase so they just took 100 off the price. I didn't get on the triple reward zone event, but I think most would rather pay less than have a gift card.

Thanks! Well darn, I wish I'd seen that. I would have just bitten on the higher end 13" config if it came with a gift card or a bigger price drop.

Mac32
Aug 2, 2011, 11:55 AM
I seriously doubt it as Intel took that ability away starting with the clarkdale i5/i7's. No one on either the OSX/Win7 side has been able to alter voltages on i5/i7 without BIOS support and I doubt Apple will be giving us that any time soon.

That really, really sucks. :( But, not surprised, as it would be yet another stupid move from Intel. Being able to undervolt the CPU is a H.U.G.E.(!!) thing when working on ultraportables like the MacBook Air, because you'll get a very cool and quiet machine *as well as* lots of CPU power.

Wolfpup
Aug 2, 2011, 11:56 AM
I think its luck of the draw. When I got my i7 1.8 it idled at 60c. Then it came down to 50c now it idles at 39c. I think the thermal paste needs time to set then its smooth sailing. Glad I kept the 1.8 i7, its a screamer and seems to be running very cool.

39c sounds normal...glad it came down because 60c sounds WAY too hot...I'd have assumed the design coudln't really handle the CPU if it continued that!

dtjm
Aug 2, 2011, 12:18 PM
Day 3 with a 13" Macbook Air i7...

I've only used it in environments with some amount of ambient noise (at home with air filter running, and on the train), so I haven't heard the fan running at all unless I put my ear close to the fan. Unless you work in a silent environment you will probably rarely notice the fan noise. During normal usage (i.e. web browsing with Click2Flash) iStat reports my CPU temp is around 52C, fan around 2-3k RPM.

CPU got fairly hot while playing Team Fortress 2 (~83C, 5-6K RPM), but it was not really noticeable to the touch. However when I was compiling some code (using Homebrew to install some packages) it was practically too hot to touch around the upper-left region of the keyboard. It was around 90C and 6500RPM, but quickly dropped back to ~50C within a couple of minutes after the compiling completed.

Swerrrvin
Aug 3, 2011, 03:38 PM
I also purchased an ultimate 13" i7 Air. I've been using it almost two weeks. I've been debating this issue every since the first day. When installing my apps (XCode and MPlayerX) and Win 7 via boot camp, I noticed the fans did ramp up and the machine definitely became audible. My office is relatively quiet but not silent. On a day to day basis, I mostly use this machine for XCode development. Doing development and web browsing, it is absolutely quiet and cool. I'm also running a U2711 via a mini-display port to displayport adapter and a mouse connected via bluetooth.

Yesterday, I decide to test the machine more and play a 1080p HD mkv will developing. After about 10 minutes or so, the machine became audible. With the caveat that I'm not particularly sensitive to a warm keyboard coming from years and years of PC laptop development, the keyboard was a little warm but not uncomfortable.

Long story short, I went and bought an additional 13" i5 Air today for comparison. I've set it up exactly the same. It also got a bit noisy during setup. Now that it is setup, I'm running my same video and development scenario. Low and behold the result is...the i5 is also running the fan and a bit noisy. Using iStat the fan is at about 4800rpm and CPU at 74c. For me this test is pretty conclusive. The fan noise is about the same for both machines for me. Also, the heat seems about the same too.

To sum it up, both machines have been noisy while installing a lot of software. Both machines have been noisy while running an external high-resolution monitor and playing a 1080p movie while developing. Both machines are very quiet and cool while coding, browsing, and such even if there are driving an external monitor, as long as a movie is not playing also.

I know this "test" will upset some so I'll go ahead and apologize now for running this test at the expense of wasting a new machine. Hopefully, this post will help others make their decision without such waste.

At the end of the day, it's likely I'll be returning the i5. Regardless, both machines in my opinion are excellent. Except for the rare occasion that I'm working the machine hard by installing a bunch of software, watching an HD movie on it via an external monitor while simultaneously doing a bunch of other work, they are very quiet and cool. Also the battery life has been excellent.

P.S. The test is still running now as I write this post, the i5 is at 73c and fan at 5100rpm.

Apple Expert
Aug 3, 2011, 04:57 PM
I also purchased an ultimate 13" i7 Air. I've been using it almost two weeks. I've been debating this issue every since the first day. When installing my apps (XCode and MPlayerX) and Win 7 via boot camp, I noticed the fans did ramp up and the machine definitely became audible. My office is relatively quiet but not silent. On a day to day basis, I mostly use this machine for XCode development. Doing development and web browsing, it is absolutely quiet and cool. I'm also running a U2711 via a mini-display port to displayport adapter and a mouse connected via bluetooth.

Yesterday, I decide to test the machine more and play a 1080p HD mkv will developing. After about 10 minutes or so, the machine became audible. With the caveat that I'm not particularly sensitive to a warm keyboard coming from years and years of PC laptop development, the keyboard was a little warm but not uncomfortable.

Long story short, I went and bought an additional 13" i5 Air today for comparison. I've set it up exactly the same. It also got a bit noisy during setup. Now that it is setup, I'm running my same video and development scenario. Low and behold the result is...the i5 is also running the fan and a bit noisy. Using iStat the fan is at about 4800rpm and CPU at 74c. For me this test is pretty conclusive. The fan noise is about the same for both machines for me. Also, the heat seems about the same too.

To sum it up, both machines have been noisy while installing a lot of software. Both machines have been noisy while running an external high-resolution monitor and playing a 1080p movie while developing. Both machines are very quiet and cool while coding, browsing, and such even if there are driving an external monitor, as long as a movie is not playing also.

I know this "test" will upset some so I'll go ahead and apologize now for running this test at the expense of wasting a new machine. Hopefully, this post will help others make their decision without such waste.

At the end of the day, it's likely I'll be returning the i5. Regardless, both machines in my opinion are excellent. Except for the rare occasion that I'm working the machine hard by installing a bunch of software, watching an HD movie on it via an external monitor while simultaneously doing a bunch of other work, they are very quiet and cool. Also the battery life has been excellent.

P.S. The test is still running now as I write this post, the i5 is at 73c and fan at 5100rpm.

Thanks for the update. Seems like people are getting mixed results here. Have you decided which one your going to keep?

3goldens
Aug 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
got my i5 the other day, and after a day it is considerabley cooler on the lap than the i7.

Guess that ones going back!

sprockett
Aug 3, 2011, 08:21 PM
Day 3 with a 13" Macbook Air i7...

I've only used it in environments with some amount of ambient noise (at home with air filter running, and on the train), so I haven't heard the fan running at all unless I put my ear close to the fan. Unless you work in a silent environment you will probably rarely notice the fan noise. During normal usage (i.e. web browsing with Click2Flash) iStat reports my CPU temp is around 52C, fan around 2-3k RPM.

CPU got fairly hot while playing Team Fortress 2 (~83C, 5-6K RPM), but it was not really noticeable to the touch. However when I was compiling some code (using Homebrew to install some packages) it was practically too hot to touch around the upper-left region of the keyboard. It was around 90C and 6500RPM, but quickly dropped back to ~50C within a couple of minutes after the compiling completed.

same readings here. ~49-54c when casual surfing (5 tabs, click to flash on, safari).

Goes up to 70-80c when doing more proc heavy stuff..

Side note:
Using apps like itunes / songbird to play music in background takes up abt 5% CPU power, and temperatures immediately rise about 4c or so.

entatlrg
Aug 3, 2011, 08:25 PM
got my i5 the other day, and after a day it is considerabley cooler on the lap than the i7.

Guess that ones going back!

I did the same, now I'm extremely happy, much faster than the 2010's and now thankfully with the i5 not much warmer.

Apple Expert
Aug 3, 2011, 09:34 PM
I did the same, now I'm extremely happy, much faster than the 2010's and now thankfully with the i5 not much warmer.

Didn't you keep the 13" i7?

jvmxtra
Aug 3, 2011, 11:45 PM
This was one of my main complaint for 2011 mbp 15.
Honestly, people like me should not buy these laptops. Technology to completely dissipate heat while keeping up w/ today's current processing power is just not available at this point -- not to mention while keeping great apple laptop's sleek aluminum look.

happyslayer
Aug 4, 2011, 02:23 AM
I had the i5 1.6 128GB ll.6 and exchanged it this afternoon for the i7 1.8 256GB 11.6. I needed the bigger drive it turned out. Since the Apple store only sells the 11.6 with the 256 and the Core i7 CPU, that's what I got. Anyway, it honestly doesn't seem to be running that much hotter than the i5. Currently, my temps are like 46C (iStat) but all I am really doing is web right now. Admittedly, I don't usually run that many "hardcore" apps - mostly, email, web, office and a writing program, although I will be Bootcamping it with Windows 7 Pro over the next couple days so maybe I'll notice it then. But, for now, I haven't noticed a huge heat difference. I have noticed that it is faster/snappier. Installing programs and such moved a bit faster as well.

So far I am happy but I will admit that its only been like 10 hours since I got it so I may regret it.... but probably not.

MattZani
Aug 4, 2011, 07:16 AM
My i7 arrived yesterday, feels maybe a little warmer than my i5 was, CPU is currently sat at about 48degC, mail safari and twitter open

mitup
Aug 4, 2011, 07:59 AM
Personally I decided to exchange the 13" i7 for the 13" i5. I don't have a real need for the extra processing power, and it's only 8% anyway. The slightly lower heat and hopefully better battery times made the return make sense in my case.

Swerrrvin
Aug 4, 2011, 04:58 PM
i7 went back today. After one day with the i5, I don't think I perceive a processor performance difference. It does seem cooler and quieter though...

jblock
Aug 4, 2011, 07:56 PM
I've been using an 11-inch i5 and i7 side by side for a few days now. The i7 definitely averages around 5 degrees C hotter when idling or for simple tasks (mail, iTunes, Safari), but that's the CPU temp reading; the bottom and most of the others are only a degree different and sometimes cooler than the i5. When the processor is taxed, they seem the same and the i7 gets cooler faster.

squaremon
Aug 5, 2011, 06:46 AM
I'm using Skype and safari only. CPU is 90% idle. i donno what the temp is but the top aluminum above the esc key to F10 is boiling!:eek: it feels uncomfortable putting my finger there for more than 10 sec
*I'm not sure if it's because i have a keyboard cover on top causing heat to stuck inside

jblock
Aug 5, 2011, 06:51 AM
I notice a difference when they are side by side; I have an i5 and i7 11. The i7 is faster opening apps and other tasks. Since I'm experiencing no increase in heat and often slightly less temperature compared to the i5 I think it's the luck of the draw with these.

MattZani
Aug 5, 2011, 10:15 AM
My i7 just feels a bit more 'instant' doing everything than my i5 was.

Also, keyboard is one of the main places it vents other than the back.

Wolfpup
Aug 5, 2011, 12:25 PM
Naturally I learn all this AFTER already ordering the 1.8.

Though...the price difference for me was only $90, for as much as 11% better performance. If I ever actually use this as a primary system, every bit will help!

It's still not as fast as a 13" Pro though with the 1.8, even though on paper it can clock as fast.

JES
Aug 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
Hi All,

I've been reading this thread with interest as I am debating an i5 vs i7 13" MBA. I feel like an idiot even asking anything after all these pages, but all the anecdotal evidence confuses me.

So, if I get an i7 and watch a movie on iTunes, will the fan ramp up and be loud? How about for YouTube videos and web surfing, while word processing? People have written lots of tests but I'm trying to imaging daily vs more intensive use. I would mind a fan running constantly for low power tasks, but would expect it for high powered ones.

I will also occasionally run Ableton Live (a music program) off it, and I understand there would be fan noise at that point, but since I'd be running through speakers, I don't really care if I can get a few extra plugins going thanks to the i7.

I'm pretty clear on the heat (i7 is hotter; don't care), and battery (not much difference), and power (i7 is only a little better on processor intensive tasks, but that might matter to me).

Thanks for any insight.

Wolfpup
Aug 5, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hi All,

I've been reading this thread with interest as I am debating an i5 vs i7 13" MBA. I feel like an idiot even asking anything after all these pages, but all the anecdotal evidence confuses me.

So, if I get an i7 and watch a movie on iTunes, will the fan ramp up and be loud? How about for YouTube videos and web surfing, while word processing? People have written lots of tests but I'm trying to imaging daily vs more intensive use. I would mind a fan running constantly for low power tasks, but would expect it for high powered ones.

I will also occasionally run Ableton Live (a music program) off it, and I understand there would be fan noise at that point, but since I'd be running through speakers, I don't really care if I can get a few extra plugins going thanks to the i7.

I'm pretty clear on the heat (i7 is hotter; don't care), and battery (not much difference), and power (i7 is only a little better on processor intensive tasks, but that might matter to me).

Thanks for any insight.

Which model? If you're looking at an 11", I think the 1.8GHz upgrade is basically a must have no brainer. It's cheap, it gives you a third better performance.

The 13" base CPU isn't such a big difference (although it's also a cheap upgrade), so there maybe it's worth thinking about.

JES
Aug 5, 2011, 01:06 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The 13" -- which isn't quite a no-brainer, which is why I'm asking. I'm mostly concerned about fan noise with everyday tasks (not audio or video rendering).

Buckfitches
Aug 5, 2011, 01:40 PM
Mine's going back, probably.

I bought my 13" i5 MBA 2 days ago, hoping to replace my 13" Macbook Pro from late 2009. I love how the thing looks, and its INCREDIBLY fast, but at a price.

The thing gets hot way too easy for my tastes. I have set the MBA and the MBP side-to-side running the EXACT same flash video on the exact same browsers, with nothing running in the background, and compared the results.

The MBA flies to 80+ Temperatures right away, and then proceeds to crank up the fans at 5500+ RPM, causing it to sound like a vacuum cleaner, and being too damn hot to handle comfortably. Meanwhile, playing the same video, the MBP is also reaching 70+ degrees, but it manages to keep the fans at around 2000 RPM, not making a single sound unless I press my ear onto the chassis.

I know it's the ultra slim form factor preventing proper heat dissipation on the MBA, but I personally can't stand wielding a immensely hot or noisy laptop.
If that's the price I have to pay for ultra slim-ness, I prefer the slightly fatter Macbook Pro.

Just my 2 cents, i'm 99% sure i'm returning it.

Apple Expert
Aug 5, 2011, 02:37 PM
Mine's going back, probably.

I bought my 13" i5 MBA 2 days ago, hoping to replace my 13" Macbook Pro from late 2009. I love how the thing looks, and its INCREDIBLY fast, but at a price.

The thing gets hot way too easy for my tastes. I have set the MBA and the MBP side-to-side running the EXACT same flash video on the exact same browsers, with nothing running in the background, and compared the results.

The MBA flies to 80+ Temperatures right away, and then proceeds to crank up the fans at 5500+ RPM, causing it to sound like a vacuum cleaner, and being too damn hot to handle comfortably. Meanwhile, playing the same video, the MBP is also reaching 70+ degrees, but it manages to keep the fans at around 2000 RPM, not making a single sound unless I press my ear onto the chassis.

I know it's the ultra slim form factor preventing proper heat dissipation on the MBA, but I personally can't stand wielding a immensely hot or noisy laptop.
If that's the price I have to pay for ultra slim-ness, I prefer the slightly fatter Macbook Pro.

Just my 2 cents, i'm 99% sure i'm returning it.

Sounds like you got a bad one. But I've done several side by side test and the i5 always was cooler. On average by about 5-10C. Might want to try an exchange to see if that fixes your problem.

OmBreNoiRe
Aug 6, 2011, 05:02 AM
I've been using an 11-inch i5 and i7 side by side for a few days now. The i7 definitely averages around 5 degrees C hotter when idling or for simple tasks (mail, iTunes, Safari), but that's the CPU temp reading; the bottom and most of the others are only a degree different and sometimes cooler than the i5. When the processor is taxed, they seem the same and the i7 gets cooler faster.

When you try time capsule with both of them, is the fan speed going very high ?
Do you think the i7 is more noisy than the i5 (due to the fan) ?

Thanks in advance for your answer ;)

jblock
Aug 6, 2011, 09:41 AM
When you try time capsule with both of them, is the fan speed going very high ?
Do you think the i7 is more noisy than the i5 (due to the fan) ?

Thanks in advance for your answer ;)

They both have the same data on them, about 80GB. They get up to 83 C at different points of the backup (which takes about an hour) with the fans getting to about 5,000. For neither is the heat or fan constant, going down to about 70 C during the backup. Can't say I notice a big difference between the two in this regard. The difference is that the i7 ramps up to the higher temperature quicker but also goes back down to 70 C faster. The fan noise is similar; at 5,000 it's really not that loud.

Subjectively, I don't think the i7 is any louder than my i5, but as is clear in this thread this could just be the luck of the draw. The most surprising thing for me is that the i7 during my typical use (Safari, Mail, Calendar, Tweetdeck, iTunes, Spotify, Pages, Dashboard) is a degree or two lower than the i5 and they idle about the same.

OmBreNoiRe
Aug 6, 2011, 02:18 PM
They both have the same data on them, about 80GB. They get up to 83 C at different points of the backup (which takes about an hour) with the fans getting to about 5,000. For neither is the heat or fan constant, going down to about 70 C during the backup. Can't say I notice a big difference between the two in this regard. The difference is that the i7 ramps up to the higher temperature quicker but also goes back down to 70 C faster. The fan noise is similar; at 5,000 it's really not that loud.

Subjectively, I don't think the i7 is any louder than my i5, but as is clear in this thread this could just be the luck of the draw. The most surprising thing for me is that the i7 during my typical use (Safari, Mail, Calendar, Tweetdeck, iTunes, Spotify, Pages, Dashboard) is a degree or two lower than the i5 and they idle about the same.

Thank you very interesting ;)

nnguyen
Aug 6, 2011, 03:13 PM
just got my i7 256gb 13in mba - both samsung screen/ssd - no heat issue here :)

sporadicMotion
Aug 7, 2011, 11:28 AM
4 instances of yes > /dev/null ramps the CPU up to 96c until the fan gets to full speed. Then it drops to 90c. The thing that impressed me is the fan. At 6400 rpm, it was quietly purring away. This is so much quieter than my 2011 13" pro this replaced. It definitely gets a bit hotter than the pro, but that can be expected due to the form factor differences.

It's an i5 13" btw.

spyderx
Aug 7, 2011, 12:12 PM

Been my experience also. 13" i7 here. The only time the fan came on was when I first migrated the machine and Spotlight was re-indexing everything (which I had issues with, never used migration assistant and probably won't in the future... had to manually delete the spotlight index and recreate it to get it to complete the index). I spend most of my time in a Windows7 VM under VMware Fusion and it works as well as my i5 Macbook Pro (faster actually). Even when it starts doing some mild swapping. No fans. Minimal heat.

If you're gaming, encoding video, etc you very well might get fan noise.

rbn
Aug 7, 2011, 04:55 PM
For general use such as browsing the web with safari (no flash) with 5 tabs open, iTunes playing some music and mail app open, what would be considered the 'expected norm' for cpu temp for a 13" MBA i5 with 128ssd?

fletch33
Aug 7, 2011, 04:57 PM
bought the 11" 1.8GHz a few days ago and had the previous 2010 11" 1.4GHz before that. first day or so on the new 11" it ran about 140F on average where my 2010 ran about 125F most of the time.

now that i have had it running a couple of days the new 11" is running about 120F and the battery has been about the same as my 2010 was.

i can not see any difference in heat or fan now from my 1.4GHz 2010 and my 1.8GHz 2011 but i can sure see the speed boost YEAH

the first 48 hours i thought i was also going to be in the returning it for the i5 club but not any longer and im glad i went with the i7.

for reference i am always running iChat, Skype, Chrome (3 or 4 tabs), Mail, and Colloquy.

JES
Sep 11, 2011, 08:10 AM
Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who replied to my queries. Finally got my 13" MBA and I went for the i7. So far, so good. It runs a little warm if I'm pushing it (that doesn't really matter to me) and I've only heard fan noise during big installations. Otherwise, it's dead quiet.

If I have problems, I will post again. Otherwise, I'm happy.

--JES

mike95
Sep 24, 2011, 01:59 AM
Hi everyone,

Best

Was the i5 less noisy? I have 11" i5 and was wishing to have gotten i7 upgrade given the performance boost claims for the 11". However reading your post, I now not so sure...

mike95
Sep 24, 2011, 02:48 AM
I've had:
2010 - 13"
2010 - 11" 1.4ghz (because 13" sounded like a tornado playing flight simulator)
2011 - 11" 1.6

I was very happy with the 2010 model 11". The fan noise was much less than the 13". I believe the 2011 models they became more comparable. With 11" i7 vs i5, I think neither fan goes above 6500 so the fan noise will be the same as far as decibels are concerned, however i7 may crank up sooner as a previous post mentioned.

One thing which has made my life super happy regards to battery life, fan noise, & temperature more than anything else is a special little Safari plugin called "Click to Flash" or the more generic version "Click to Plugin".

Click to Flash puts you in control with regards to randomly loading flash on web pages. You will see a gray box where the flash would normally play and you have to click if you want to load it. BELIEVE ME, the most basic flash animation, depending on which version of flash and how it was developed, can easily crank up the cpu! This is precisely why Steve Jobs refused to include flash on the iOS devices and additionally took off flash from default configuration not too long ago. Click to plugin is similar, but more generic and allows for more flexibility too and recommend it over the simpler one as it forces, say, HTMl5 versions of videos 's load (if available) instead of loading the flash. Additionally, you can also put sites which are exceptions to the blocked plugins.

Nioxic
Sep 24, 2011, 09:41 AM
I only have the i7 because that was my only option if i wanted the 256gb ssd..

i can live with the noise... its only there if im playing videos / games, and if i do ill be either having headset on, and cant hear it, or ill turn up the volume.. :b

But i do agree that the heat is annoying. its not worse than on my old windows laptop.. (it seriously has burn marks on the top side where i have my hand)

mike95
Sep 24, 2011, 11:35 PM
I believe the next OSX update will reduce heat and fan noise. My iMac27 was always exceedingly hot to touch on the upper left, however this has changed to a mild warm with no audible increase in fan noise. I'm not going to install it on my MacBook Air until the final version is released, however it's my impression there is better power management and indirectly this should help with battery and power on the MacBooks.