PDA

View Full Version : Right! I bought the 11" today to compare.

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
Yesterday, I bought the 13" as I'd been missing having a laptop for quite a while since moving to the iMac from my old MBP.

I posted yesterday explaining how I was a little disappointed with the screen and felt more than a little aggrieved that it came out of the box with a scratch on it. For this reason, I went out this morning and got the 11 with the intention of comparing them, just to see if I'd gotten a raw deal.

I got the 11 ultimate, plunked it down next to the 13 and I immediately noticed a difference, aside from the obvious.

The screen

The screen on the 11 that I have is vastly superior to the 13. Obviously, there is a pixel density difference, but the colour is superior on the 11 by a long shot. This is not a case of viewing angle -- at the same angle, the 13 still appears more washed-out and is really quite grainy. This is particularly noticeable on the dock icons, which look horrible on the 13.

In addition, and I can't explain why, the 11 for me is far easier to read from. I suffer from floaters in the eyes, and when using the 13, they get really quite bad. The 11 by contrast seems much easier on my peepers, I don't know why this would be -- possibly backlight strength, even with the 13 on a dimmer setting, the problem is still worse than I notice on the 11.

Battery life

Sadly, this feels quite a bit shorter on the 11 than the 13, but frankly I'm willing to live with it, as the benefits of the screen far outweigh the hour and a half less I get before charging.

Anyway

Sorry this is a bit light on details, but I thought I'd post it just in case it helps anyone make a decision. I'll post more info when I've tried them out against each other a bit more thoroughly. Regardless, the 11 is definitely ahead so far, 13 will probably be taking an all expenses paid trip back to Cork.

Geetarpicker
Jul 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
How is the heat with your new 11" Ultimate?

I just bought a 11" Ultimate yesterday, but my Apple receipt shows a 10% restock unless it's returned unopened. Seems to conflict terms wise with the web site. Anyway sadly I'm afraid to open the darn box until I hear a few more reports on these!

jp700p
Jul 22, 2011, 02:30 PM

I just bought a 11" Ultimate yesterday, but my Apple receipt shows a 10% restock unless it's returned unopened. Seems to conflict terms wise with the web site. Anyway sadly I'm afraid to open the darn box until I hear a few more reports on these!

How about exchanging? What if I bought the 13" tried it out and changed my mind and exchanged it for the 11", will they still charge me the 10% restocking fee?

TheEmpty
Jul 22, 2011, 02:32 PM
So then is your 13" a LG display and the 11" a Samsung display?

Geetarpicker
Jul 22, 2011, 02:34 PM
How about exchanging? What if I bought the 13" tried it out and changed my mind and exchanged it for the 11", will they still charge me the 10% restocking fee?

Don't know. My Apple Store receipt just has faded type on the back about "Returns". They say if the unit needs "rework prior to resale" they charge 10%. I'm assume rework would be the repackaging, reinstall of OS so the setup is just like a first start up. Just guessing...

sweatygorilla
Jul 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
How much battery life were you getting out of the "11 and what tasks were you doing/screen brightness?

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
I'm unsure how to check the panel type. Any chance someone could post instructions?

BENJMNS
Jul 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
Yesterday, I bought the 13" as I'd been missing having a laptop for quite a while since moving to the iMac from my old MBP.

I posted yesterday explaining how I was a little disappointed with the screen and felt more than a little aggrieved that it came out of the box with a scratch on it. For this reason, I went out this morning and got the 11 with the intention of comparing them, just to see if I'd gotten a raw deal.

I got the 11 ultimate, plunked it down next to the 13 and I immediately noticed a difference, aside from the obvious.

The screen

The screen on the 11 that I have is vastly superior to the 13. Obviously, there is a pixel density difference, but the colour is superior on the 11 by a long shot. This is not a case of viewing angle -- at the same angle, the 13 still appears more washed-out and is really quite grainy. This is particularly noticeable on the dock icons, which look horrible on the 13.

In addition, and I can't explain why, the 11 for me is far easier to read from. I suffer from floaters in the eyes, and when using the 13, they get really quite bad. The 11 by contrast seems much easier on my peepers, I don't know why this would be -- possibly backlight strength, even with the 13 on a dimmer setting, the problem is still worse than I notice on the 11.

Battery life

Sadly, this feels quite a bit shorter on the 11 than the 13, but frankly I'm willing to live with it, as the benefits of the screen far outweigh the hour and a half less I get before charging.

Anyway

Sorry this is a bit light on details, but I thought I'd post it just in case it helps anyone make a decision. I'll post more info when I've tried them out against each other a bit more thoroughly. Regardless, the 11 is definitely ahead so far, 13 will probably be taking an all expenses paid trip back to Cork.

sorry but as soon as ready "vastly superior" your opinions suddenly lost all sense of credibility. next. i had both. it's the same ***** unless you have insect eyes.

Geetarpicker
Jul 22, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'm unsure how to check the panel type. Any chance someone could post instructions?

Top of this thread shows how to do it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807

aristobrat
Jul 22, 2011, 02:39 PM

The Apple Store I worked at unfortunately had about at least a years worth of old receipt paper in stock when the policy changed. We continued to use it.

The stuff on the back doesn't matter. If you look on the front of the receipt, which was printed you purchased it, if you look near the line that lists the MacBook Air, it should say "No return fee", and list the return date.

rabid snake
Jul 22, 2011, 02:40 PM
I have the 11" MBA with the Samsung display and SSD and this thing screams! I feel like the 13" MBA seems clunky in comparison if you have an external monitor you could use at home when not traveling.

gp1699
Jul 22, 2011, 02:45 PM
13 will probably be taking an all expenses paid trip back to Cork.

mine too! i want a 11" but i cant figure which one to go for!

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 02:55 PM
Top of this thread shows how to do it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807

Cheers man.

My screen type in the 11" is the following:

LTH116AT01A04

rabid snake
Jul 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
Cheers man.

My screen type in the 11" is the following:

LTH116AT01A04

What is your 13" display? I was wondering if it was fair to compare Samsung to LG or if they were made from the same manufacturer.

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 03:03 PM
sorry but as soon as ready "vastly superior" your opinions suddenly lost all sense of credibility. next. i had both. it's the same ***** unless you have insect eyes.

Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

You don't have my eyes. I can only speak for myself. For my eyes, the 11 is a hell of a lot better.

I can categorically say that it is not the same *****. Whatever ***** is.

bigjnyc
Jul 22, 2011, 03:10 PM
So can you walk in to an Apple store and get the 11" with a 256gb SSD? or is that option only available online?

KPOM
Jul 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
So can you walk in to an Apple store and get the 11" with a 256gb SSD? or is that option only available online?

Yes, though you may also need to get the Core i7. 5th Avenue had the "Ultimate" 11" for $1649. I don't know if they had the Core i5 256GB for $1499 in stock.

bigjnyc
Jul 22, 2011, 03:13 PM
Yes, though you may also need to get the Core i7. 5th Avenue had the "Ultimate" 11" for $1649. I don't know if they had the Core i5 256GB for $1499 in stock.

Cool thanks for the info.

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 03:13 PM
What is your 13" display? I was wondering if it was fair to compare Samsung to LG or if they were made from the same manufacturer.

The 13's display:

LP133WP1-TJA3

TheEmpty
Jul 22, 2011, 03:18 PM
The 13's display:

LP133WP1-TJA3
Yeah so LP I think they said was LG which was lower quality with viewing angles, but they said that was all. Who knows, we need a side by side high definition picture! Praying for dual Samsung for my Air (comes Wednesday morning)

OSMac
Jul 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
Oh no,
I have the LP (LG Phillips) 13" screen and ever since I got it I felt it was of below expected quality.

I am going to do the same get a 11" or another 13" with a Samsung display to compare.
Hope the Apple Store understands, dont want to pay 10% because LG uses a poor display...

This is disappointing , as I love the machine but the screen is 2nd class.

ZBoater
Jul 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
The perception of the display quality tends to be somewhat subjective. When I saw the 13 and 11" side by side at the store, the 13" looked richer and the 11" looked more washed out. But in terms of "vastly" superior, I don't know about that. I don't think the difference is that "vast". To me, vast is the performance difference between a spinning hard drive and SSD. As far as the screens go, they are a lot closer to each other in terms of quality and performance.

In other words, I think that display quality is one of the least important factors in choosing one size MBA over another. Size, weight, battery life, screen real estate - those are more important IMHO.

OSMac
Jul 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
The perception of the display quality tends to be somewhat subjective. When I saw the 13 and 11" side by side at the store, the 13" looked richer and the 11" looked more washed out. ....

Did you check who made the screens you saw?

The LG 13" screen I have is washed out compared to last gen airs I have used.

mrgossett
Jul 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much for your post. I'm considering buying a new Air to replace my 2008 2nd Gen. model (13") during our state's tax-free weekend of Aug. 5-7. I've never really loved the screen on my 13" Air. The colors wash out very easily at the wrong angle, and it's just not as nice as the one on an old black Macbook that I had. I use my Air almost totally in my recliner on my lap on an Allsop lap desk, which puts the keyboard at just the right angle for typing. I don't have the floater eye problem as much as you do, but I wear no-line bifocals, and I have to pull all my windows in every program to the bottom of the screen to see clearly. It seems to me that the 11" with its narrower height screen would help with that. But I've been concerned about the clarity and text size of the 11" screen. I've never actually tried one, and I don't live close to an Apple store or any other store that would have one on display. Your info on the 11" screen clarity is encouraging, if I can decide that I can handle the smaller text size on the 11."

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
The perception of the display quality tends to be somewhat subjective. When I saw the 13 and 11" side by side at the store, the 13" looked richer and the 11" looked more washed out. But in terms of "vastly" superior, I don't know about that. I don't think the difference is that "vast". To me, vast is the performance difference between a spinning hard drive and SSD. As far as the screens go, they are a lot closer to each other in terms of quality and performance.

In other words, I think that display quality is one of the least important factors in choosing one size MBA over another. Size, weight, battery life, screen real estate - those are more important IMHO.

You're right ZBoater, 'vastly' is a bit of a contentious word to use i suppose. I would say however that I definitely find it to be much better, perhaps vastly is too strong a word.

As OSMac has stated, I find the 13 to be a good bit more washed-out and noticeably grainier than the 11's screen.

Size and weight, the 11 wins hands down. Battery life and the screen real estate are the pertinent points.

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 04:04 PM
Looks like this guy's review is right on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXVcASL5v7s

Geetarpicker
Jul 22, 2011, 04:11 PM
NutsNGum,

Your 11" is an ultimate.
Is your 13" also an ultimate?

Curious your take on the heat, fan, and noise?

Thanks!

stevenpa
Jul 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah so LP I think they said was LG which was lower quality with viewing angles, but they said that was all. Who knows, we need a side by side high definition picture! Praying for dual Samsung for my Air (comes Wednesday morning)

This is what I'm hoping for as well. May even open the MBA in an Apple store and if it's not exchange it for one that is at least Samsung SSD.

OSMac
Jul 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
This is what I'm hoping for as well. May even open the MBA in an Apple store and if it's not exchange it for one that is at least Samsung SSD.

Problem with that is chances are all the similar models will be from the same batch in the store.
Better go elsewhere or online if your local store does not have a decent one?

The washed out screen is a much bigger deal to me than small SSD speed diffs.

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 04:47 PM
NutsNGum,

Your 11" is an ultimate.
Is your 13" also an ultimate?

Curious your take on the heat, fan, and noise?

Thanks!

The 11" is an ultimate, yes. The 13" is the base.

Performance wise I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but I don't run any 3D games really, I've got NI Komplete 6, which I use in conjunction with Logic Studio and it runs fantastically well on the 11". In terms of heat, same again, I've been downloading on wifi and watching Big Buck Bunny in 1080p on YouTube to test and I'm noticing little if anything in the way of fan noise. On both machines.

They're honestly both great computers, and if the comparatively washed-out appearance of the base 13's screen doesn't bother you that's fine -- I can't say for sure if the same can be said of the ultimate 13's screen -- but the 11" nails it for me, for the reasons mentioned in my original post.

MacRumorUser
Jul 22, 2011, 04:49 PM
, the 11 is definitely ahead so far, 13 will probably be taking an all expenses paid trip back to Cork.

if you want it to send it via Co.Kerry first feel free ;)

Irony being we still have no proper Apple stores in Ireland and most 3rd party apple resellers are not expecting stock for at leas a week or two.

So your return arrives in Ireland before most resellers even get stock from Apple here. :(

cpnotebook80
Jul 22, 2011, 04:53 PM
I went to about this mac and went to disk drive. It showed me where the space was allocated. I noticed 680mb to audio. I dont have any music on the air yet. Just wondering where they have that music or is it lions sound bits?

Adidas Addict
Jul 22, 2011, 04:56 PM

Performance wise I can't say I've noticed a huge difference, but I don't run any 3D games really, I've got NI Komplete 6, which I use in conjunction with Logic Studio and it runs fantastically well on the 11". In terms of heat, same again, I've been downloading on wifi and watching Big Buck Bunny in 1080p on YouTube to test and I'm noticing little if anything in the way of fan noise. On both machines.

They're honestly both great computers, and if the comparatively washed-out appearance of the base 13's screen doesn't bother you that's fine -- I can't say for sure if the same can be said of the ultimate 13's screen -- but the 11" nails it for me, for the reasons mentioned in my original post.

It's not like the base 13 and ultimate 13 get different screens, it's just pot luck whether you get an LG-Philips or a Samsung, same with the SSD pot luck in both sizes whether it's Toshiba or Samsung. All parts meet apples specifications and tolerances, just some are better than others.

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 04:57 PM

Do you have an LG or Samsung display for the 11 and the 13?

To identify your display
open terminal , paste
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

the first line is your display model

nebulos
Jul 22, 2011, 05:02 PM
EDIT: i read more of the thread, sorry.

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 05:08 PM
It's not like the base 13 and ultimate 13 get different screens, it's just pot luck whether you get an LG-Philips or a Samsung, same with the SSD pot luck in both sizes whether it's Toshiba or Samsung. All parts meet apples specifications and tolerances, just some are better than others.

Yep, I realise that, lazy typing I suppose, sorry. :)

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 05:09 PM
Do you have an LG or Samsung display for the 11 and the 13?

To identify your display
open terminal , paste
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

the first line is your display model

Abe, I posted these on the first page of the thread :)

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
Abe, I posted these on the first page of the thread :)

So it looks like the screen difference is because of different panels. I have the LG panel :(

h00ligan
Jul 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
I certainly don't think the 13 I have is washed out. As a photographer I'm pretty picky about screens and while this could be better, it is vastly superior to my aged 2007 Santa rosa and just about as good as the desktop ips.

Of course, calibration levels the playing field to an extent.

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 05:32 PM
I certainly don't think the 13 I have is washed out. As a photographer I'm pretty picky about screens and while this could be better, it is vastly superior to my aged 2007 Santa rosa and just about as good as the desktop ips.

LG or Samsung panel?

Yggbert
Jul 22, 2011, 05:44 PM
Wait so is the 11" also subject to this screen 'lottery' or just the 13"

This'll make me really paranoid now. I was leaning towards the 13" but I don't want a bad panel. The screen on my MacBook 2010 is pretty beautiful so I don't want it to feel like a downgrade. (despite the resolution bump)

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
Wait so is the 11" also subject to this screen 'lottery' or just the 13"

This'll make me really paranoid now. I was leaning towards the 13" but I don't want a bad panel. The screen on my MacBook 2010 is pretty beautiful so I don't want it to feel like a downgrade. (despite the resolution bump)

I have the 11" with the LG panel. If the Samsung panel is noticeably better I have to return this.

Yggbert
Jul 22, 2011, 05:54 PM
My current MacBook has an LG-Philips panel it seems and I'm perfectly happy with it, just found that out. :) So guess I won't really notice anything worse moving to an Air.

Will still hope for the better panel. Right now I'm more worried about getting the slower Toshiba SSD. I hate finding out about stuff like this. :mad:

Pogopuschel
Jul 22, 2011, 05:56 PM
Right now I'm more worried about getting the slower Toshiba SSD. I hate finding out about stuff like this. :mad:
There most likely won't be any real world speed difference between the SSDs. It matters mostly for benchmarking.

NutsNGum
Jul 22, 2011, 05:56 PM
Please don't get paranoid about this. I can't say for sure how different panels are in the 11, but all the ones on display looked pretty good.

I should clarify so as not to offend or invite ridicule:

There is not a vast difference in quality as I somewhat overstated earlier, and please keep in mind that the 11 and 13 are COMPLETELY different panels to start with.

The LG and Sammys on the 11 may be closer in quality than the 13 vs 11, etc.

Yggbert
Jul 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
Oh that's good to know. :)

I had this panel lottery situation with a monitor I bought a few years ago, so long as it at least matches my current MacBook's display quality I'm pretty happy. Good to know the SSD differences doesn't really impact real world performance. Don't really care for benchies!

NCMac
Jul 22, 2011, 06:02 PM
I have a 2010 11" and just got a new 13" (both ultimates). My main reason was to get some more screen real estate. I too noticed a difference in models in terms of color clarity, BUT you need to run through color calibration from the Display option in System Preferences. Once I did that I brought up the same image on both machine and was very happy with my new 13". FWIW I have the LG display and Samsung SSD

daza1000
Jul 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
i have a samsung display:)

Abstract
Jul 22, 2011, 06:45 PM
How's the battery life on the 11" i7?

I'm curious because I just cancelled my order, and will order again after my vacation (the wait is longer in Australia than the US, it appears). I have the money for either an i5 or i7, but I want the longest battery life possible, not the faster computer. I suppose if the i7 has the same life as an i5, then I'd opt for the i7 simply because it's better.

So if you were just browsing the internet on WiFi for the entire time, how long does your battery last? :confused:

mac jones
Jul 22, 2011, 06:55 PM
I have two 11" and they are both LG. As a matter of fact, the numbers model numbers are the same except for the extension. THey do look different.

I've got to think that this whole thing is a waste of time, and 90% psychological. Once you start to stare at it you fixate.

For example. I've owned about 10 cars over the years. They range all over the place, from luxury German, to Toyota boxes without AC. ALL OF THEM become the same after awhile. Even a 911 becomes mundane. You adjust, but mostly you forget that they are not just a part of you that goes forms a to b, and they all have quirks that give them character, but none are really superior (unless you fixate on them).

A wise man I am no? LOL

I just am saying this as this whole obsession with this sort of thing is a big negative in my mind, that you should outgrow. Kid stuff.

Having said that. I really want a Samsung screen :(

TheEmpty
Jul 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
I have two 11" and they are both LG. As a matter of fact, the numbers model numbers are the same except for the extension. THey do look different.

I've got to think that this whole thing is a waste of time, and 90% psychological. Once you start to stare at it you fixate.

Guess I'll refrane myself from checking out which one I get and just be happy with what I got :cool:

mac jones
Jul 22, 2011, 07:13 PM
Guess I'll refrane myself from checking out which one I get and just be happy with what I got :cool:

Of course. The only reason I checked was because of these threads. It's like a contagion. I'm contaminated. (and also an idiot BTW).

Drugs?

mac jones
Jul 22, 2011, 07:14 PM
oops dual post...somehow.

clyde2801
Jul 22, 2011, 07:21 PM

Could you post your calibration profile for your 2010 13" LG screen and help a brutha' out?

sporadicMotion
Jul 22, 2011, 07:29 PM
Just a simple suggestion to anyone worried about their screens.

Buy a hardware calibrator.

I used to care about which panel I received but then I decided to start hardware calibrating every screen I used. I've never had an issue since.

Pogopuschel
Jul 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
What's a hardware calibrator? Never heard this before.

sporadicMotion
Jul 22, 2011, 07:59 PM
What's a hardware calibrator? Never heard this before.

It's a sensor that runs alongside an application to detect the colors displayed by your display. After it tests the color spectrum, it writes a color profile for your specific system and panel. It's common to use these if you work in print. They can be had for pretty darn cheap too.

You only have to run it once and then you can put it away or just go calibrate the rest of the screens in your home.

They are very easy to use. Install the software, plug the sensor into your USB port and the position the sensor over the screen.

Google: Screen Calibration (http://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=hardware+screen+calibration)

Pogopuschel
Jul 22, 2011, 08:03 PM
Very interesting. Do you have any recommendation on which one to buy? How much $$$ am looking to spend on something like that? "pretty darn cheap" can be relative ;)

TheEmpty
Jul 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
Quick search on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Pantone-MEU113-huey-Pro/dp/B000OFC1YY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311383597&sr=8-2

There are less then ten on there. They seem cool, tad bit expensive though. But so worth it that it's hard to resist! I'll have to ask my friends if they have any that I can borrow though.

clyde2801
Jul 22, 2011, 08:19 PM
Or, maybe who already has the hardware can post what they think is a good calibration setting for their particular screen...

TheEmpty
Jul 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Or, maybe who already has the hardware can post what they think is a good calibration setting for their particular screen...

Upon reading further into it. I really wouldn't do that. It says that all screens are not the same (which I believe since I have dual monitors and one is more vivid the the other) and that it even depends on the lighting of the room and what not.

clyde2801
Jul 22, 2011, 08:50 PM
Upon reading further into it. I really wouldn't do that. It says that all screens are not the same (which I believe since I have dual monitors and one is more vivid the the other) and that it even depends on the lighting of the room and what not.

Okay, and if it doesn't work for me, I'd switch back. It's not like I'm trying to install a SSD into a 2011 iMac, fer Pete's sake.

revelated
Jul 22, 2011, 09:05 PM

I can say from experience that there is definitely something..."off" about the new 13". It's not as sharp. Also, when the dock icons are small, like on the right or left side, certain ones like the App Store look strange. Almost pixelated but not really. It's hard to describe, but there is a definite quality difference here.

Plan to toy with some calibrations and see what I get.

clyde2801
Jul 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, the display is definitely not a nice as my 2010 11". This one (LG) seems a bit washed out...reminds me of my 2008 aluminum macbook.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 01:23 AM
I suffer from floaters in the eyes, and when using the 13, they get really quite bad.
Holy ****, me too! I hate white walls, screens, clouds, etc! lol

And I'm glad you love the 11" (like I said).

I have Samsung SDD (which is good) but I have an LG Display...I'm starting to get paranoid because everyone is saying that the Samsung screen is better...and obviously I want the best.

Also...do the top keys on the 11" (the tiny ones) seem a bit delicate/all work correctly?

My volume up isn't as crisp as all the others.

sporadicMotion
Jul 23, 2011, 10:56 AM

I won't be picking mine up until wednesday but I'll do a few different hardware calibrations to share. However, they rarely work from one panel to then next just because no panel is the same.

I would recommend anything from the spyder3 up. I found the spyder2 isn't very accurate on modern LCD's.

It really does make quite a difference. To put this in perspective, I had the MacBook "special edition" with the a truly lack luster screen. Calibration fixed all my complaints except the awful viewing angles (which is something calibration won't fix).

There really is no comparison between software and hardware calibration.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
<returns from apple store>
<fires up replacement ultimate 13">
<looks at display, notices difference>
<fires up terminal, discovers samsung display>
<hugs air>

Getting a laptop with a quality display makes a bigger difference. I'm not getting hardware to make the stock display more usable; apple should be doing that if using lackluster displays. After all, I'm giving them my money to buy their machine. Maybe THEY should be getting hardware calibrators and making sure their specs are up to snuff.

Maybe you should go over there to the apple store and mop the floor for them. Better yet, go buy your own mop and bucket to take with you.

After the CE, I haven't bought another mac laptop for some time. I think apple should be giving a discount since we're doing their QC work for them.

If you're screen is good enough for you, fine. If not, take it back. Maybe they'll do a little better at their QC if they end up with a warehouse full of returned MBA's with LG screens.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
I have an LG Display and thought it was great...until I hear the "Samsung's" are better. I'm not trying to play the lottery game. I do have a Samsung SSD (which is good) but is there any proof that Samsung Displays are better?

And are the viewing angles only better better? Or resolution, etc?
I have an 11" btw.

FusionZero
Jul 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
So basically to sum up the post...

The 11" is better because it has a Samsung display.

You can't categorically say that the 13" is lower quality because you have a different display. You should compare like to like. But it's a crapshoot.

Personally I think you'd love your 13" if you got a Samsung display. My 13" air is so crisp and clear that I can't imagine going to a smaller screen.

sporadicMotion
Jul 23, 2011, 01:32 PM
<returns from apple store>
<fires up replacement ultimate 13">
<looks at display, notices difference>
<fires up terminal, discovers samsung display>
<hugs air>

Awwwwwwwww... :p

Getting a laptop with a quality display makes a bigger difference. I'm not getting hardware to make the stock display more usable; apple should be doing that if using lackluster displays. After all, I'm giving them my money to buy their machine. Maybe THEY should be getting hardware calibrators and making sure their specs are up to snuff.

That would be nice. Just remember that having a calibrator will useful for a long time. It's amazing what they do to any display. These little wonders make an already great IPS panel look even better.

Maybe you should go over there to the apple store and mop the floor for them. Better yet, go buy your own mop and bucket to take with you.

After the CE, I haven't bought another mac laptop for some time. I think apple should be giving a discount since we're doing their QC work for them.

If you're screen is good enough for you, fine. If not, take it back. Maybe they'll do a little better at their QC if they end up with a warehouse full of returned MBA's with LG screens.

If all the LG's have bad viewing angles, then I'm with you. :apple:

Obi Wan Kenobi
Jul 23, 2011, 02:03 PM
I have been wavering between the 11inch MBA and the 13inch MBA. The trade off for me has been size and weight (favouring the 11inch-er) versus battery life (favouring the 13inch-er).

I found your review very helpful.

Thank you NutsnGum.

Nostromo
Jul 23, 2011, 02:21 PM
Very helpful thread.

I was considering the 13" (11" being too small), but I'll wait and see if Apple will get rid of the awful LG/LP display in favor of a Samsung in the later batches.

There often seems to be scarcity of LCD panels on the market due to the huge demand. This may be the reason why Apple got the low quality panels for the 13" (not that it's excusable)

Kafka
Jul 23, 2011, 10:17 PM
I can say from experience that there is definitely something..."off" about the new 13". It's not as sharp. Also, when the dock icons are small, like on the right or left side, certain ones like the App Store look strange. Almost pixelated but not really. It's hard to describe, but there is a definite quality difference here.

That is somehow caused by Lion. I noticed the same thing on my MBP after upgrading to it.