PDA

View Full Version : is 2gb enough? 999$ or 1199$? more bang for the buck?

kkel19
Jul 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
is 2gb of ram good enough for Lion? Im only going to be using it for surfing the net..converting videos..etc

stridemat
Jul 22, 2011, 03:14 PM
It's always best to get the most you can afford. It will work better for longer.

KPOM
Jul 22, 2011, 03:19 PM
is 2gb of ram good enough for Lion? Im only going to be using it for surfing the net..converting videos..etc

Converting videos will benefit from the extra RAM. Plus, the $1199 model has 128GB of storage vs. 64GB. I'd go for the $1199 version.

vty
Jul 22, 2011, 03:23 PM
I would NOT get 2GB. If this was a normal upgradeable laptop it wouldn't be a big deal, but two years down the road you'll be regretting going with 2GB because you can't add any more at all.

Personally, I don't even like going with 4GB, I want 8 nowadays, oh well.

adamtj11
Jul 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
I would NOT get 2GB. If this was a normal upgradeable laptop it wouldn't be a big deal, but two years down the road you'll be regretting going with 2GB because you can't add any more at all.

Personally, I don't even like going with 4GB, I want 8 nowadays, oh well.

It's fine in my opinion unless your trying to run virtual machine or Photoshop or something, i5 and make up for lack of ram anyhow.

teerexx52
Jul 24, 2011, 07:54 AM
I am using my air as a second computer for hitting DD and Panera Bread. Even so I returners the base for the next model up with 4gb and 128GB. For $200 it seems too good to pass up if you can afford it. Of note is that my base model did the job just fine but I did have some page outs

Scepticalscribe
Jul 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
To answer the question posed by the OP, 2GB RAM is probably more than enough for your stated needs at the moment.

However, and it is a fairly big however, power hungry & power intensive applications will make 2GB RAM less than ideal in a few (possibly a very few) years time. In other words, what you are doing now might not be what you may wish to be able to do in a few years time.

In short, it's fine for now, but you may need to upgrade it in a few years time. Having said that, many people change their computers after two or three years.

Cheers

GeekOFComedy
Jul 24, 2011, 08:42 AM
To answer the question posed by the OP, 2GB RAM is probably more than enough for your stated needs at the moment.

However, and it is a fairly big however, power hungry & power intensive applications will make 2GB RAM less than ideal in a few (possibly a very few) years time. In other words, what you are doing now might not be what you may wish to be able to do in a few years time.

In short, it's fine for now, but you may need to upgrade it in a few years time. Having said that, many people change their computers after two or three years.

Cheers

Converting Video and 2G is enough. Did everyone get their mind blasted by an EMP? My Early 08 MBP has 2GB and is lagging converting Video/Editing.

Also the i5 and i7 is both low voltage which means it isn't as fast as a full blown i5 or i7.

glen e
Jul 24, 2011, 08:51 AM
I agree with the part about getting 4, as you can't add....but I ran 2 gb for my road MBA which ran keynote, office and mail and it worked fine, no problems at all. That may change with Lion and all of the changes that programmers will make knowing most customers will go to 4gb. They use it up for you - just look at windows throughout the years...