Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XX55XX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Although the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Air is pricey, I am thinking about using it as an on-the-go gaming laptop for BF3. (I commute to the university from my home.)

Has anyone tried playing Bad Company 2 (seeing that BF3 will run on a similar engine) on their new MacBook Air yet? If so, would some here kindly post the results?

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
Not even close. Typical framerates at medium detail cannot even reach 27fps. If you need a gaming system, you really have to step up to a 15" with discrete graphics. HD3000 does not cut it for FPS for the most part.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
ha! Not even. Unless ivy bride's integrated solution is ten times faster you won't be doing much gaming on it.

Honestly for something like gaming on the go you will have to consider a Windows laptop. Like m11x.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Or go with the Sony Z-series with the power media dock for gaming, expensive though.

That wouldn't work for gaming on the go...

I doubt it will run at any playable rate. BF3 uses a much upgraded engine from bad company with much improved physics/demolition and rendering. I'm wondering if it will be playable on my 15" 2010 MBP. Probably on low settings.

shadowjeff

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
That wouldn't work for gaming on the go...

I doubt it will run at any playable rate. BF3 uses a much upgraded engine from bad company with much improved physics/demolition and rendering. I'm wondering if it will be playable on my 15" 2010 MBP. Probably on low settings.

True, won't be useful for portable gaming. But with the power media dock's amd 6650 gpu im pretty sure it will be more than playable, though probably not on high settings.

akhbhaat

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2010
Short answer: it won't.

If you really intend to enjoy the latest games, you need a Windows-based desktop with a reasonably new mid to high end GPU. No less will suffice.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Lol... not even a chance... and you really can't judge BF3 from BF2, it's not a similar engine at all in terms of performance, but even if it were... not a chance at any level that looks half good and plays smooth enough that you can be half good.
Air isn't for gaming, sorry - by all means try it if you get one for another reason, but if the answer changes your decision on wether to get one or not, then you shouldn't be looking at the air in the first place imo.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not the same engine as 2 this one is much more demanding however on the lowest settings it may be playable in bootcamp. Alienware has a nice 11 inch for $699 with dedicated graphics and weighs 3-4 pounds closest gaming machine you will get to the Air kinda want one deep down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.