PDA

View Full Version : Over-The-Air Software Update Saves 700MB of Downloading

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2011, 04:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/over-the-air-software-update-saves-700mb-of-downloading/)

iOS 5 Beta 4 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/apple-seeds-ios-5-beta-4-to-developers/) is the first software update to be downloadable using Apple's new over-the-air updating system. As noted by @iam_lost (https://twitter.com/#!/iam_lost/status/94518027776827392), "iOS 5 beta 4 over-the-air update is a mere 133 MB, compared to the chunky 824 MB .ipsw file."

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/photo-2-500x750.png

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/photo-2.png)
The over-the-air software update only downloads code that has changed or been updated in the update, thus making for a much smaller download. In this case, 691 MB smaller.

Article Link: Over-The-Air Software Update Saves 700MB of Downloading (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/over-the-air-software-update-saves-700mb-of-downloading/)

TvdW
Jul 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
Sounds good but so far I haven't seen anyone who got OTA updating to work yet.

Mitchelino
Jul 22, 2011, 04:45 PM
Great for people with slower internet, such as myself :)

mikefla
Jul 22, 2011, 04:46 PM
I just did it. Works fine and it's fast. I guess Apple has those Data Centers cooking at full speed. Very nice. Kudos to them!

-Mike

crisss1205
Jul 22, 2011, 04:46 PM

I have, "< 1 minute remaining"

Steve J0bs
Jul 22, 2011, 04:47 PM

Mine is already downloaded, took 5 minutes. In the orlando area.

Mlrollin91
Jul 22, 2011, 04:51 PM
And its still 133MB? Wow.. Can you do it over 3G and WiFi? I feel bad for whoever is updating without unlimited if it works on 3G.

titof
Jul 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
I only get an unable to check for update Error

lolnick
Jul 22, 2011, 05:07 PM
mine is stuck at about 80%

wordoflife
Jul 22, 2011, 05:08 PM
This is a nice feature. I'd probably still do it from my computer anyways. I assume it would be faster.

P Mentior
Jul 22, 2011, 05:09 PM
I just checked again and now it finds the update. working on both iPad 2 Wi-Fi and iPhone 4 GSM

acslater017
Jul 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
Sweet. Between OTA updates, Wi-Fi Sync, and iCloud, sooo many of the everyday iPhone hassles will be taken care of. Can't wait to see what Apple's got in store for September - I'm still holding out hopes for some great voice activation features!

davie18
Jul 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
This is a nice feature. I'd probably still do it from my computer anyways. I assume it would be faster.
Somehow I doubt it'd be quicker to download 824mb from your computer than 133mb from your iphone.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jul 22, 2011, 05:11 PM
it won't work for me i just get a message saying: an error occurred while checking for software updates. cancel/ try again :(

Sjhonny
Jul 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
How about a double post ^o) ...

133 MB ... that's like a regular OS X update! Hope this will not be the case with regular updates ...

DB2k
Jul 22, 2011, 05:15 PM
I have, "< 1 minute remaining"

mine is on that has been for a while
rebooting. will try again see what happens

dscuber9000
Jul 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
That's really cool. I wonder why this isn't somehow possible on the computer if it knows what the currently installed OS is?

bettaboy123
Jul 22, 2011, 05:17 PM
Somehow I doubt it'd be quicker to download 824mb from your computer than 133mb from your iphone.

Lol I know right! I would only do it over Wifi, and I have 25Mbps internet, so the download would take just minutes. Wayy better than doing a full sync with your computer after downloading an 824 MB file from the internet. 133 MB is much (!) better.

macduke
Jul 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
My OTA update took awhile to recognize, but now it's chugging along!

I thought I read that support for OTA updates were first included in beta 2. I kept my iPad 2 on beta 2 because Safari was so crash happy on my iPhone and my wife often uses the iPad as her primary internet device when at home. But no dice on trying the update this time. It just says:

"Unable to check for update. An error occured while checking for software updates."

So I guess if my iPhone is working ok then I'll update my iPad to beta 3 and then OTA update it?

Beaverman3001
Jul 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
Been stuck at < 1 minute for a while now :/

swinneyn
Jul 22, 2011, 05:24 PM
glad to see I'm not the only one encountering difficulties... Been stuck at "<1 minute remaining" for about 15 minutes, the phone rebooted itself at one point but apparently has not updated.

funjon
Jul 22, 2011, 05:25 PM
Looks like Restore from iCloud isn't working... my iPad 2 is stuck at logging in. And my iPhone 4 is stuck at <1 minute remaining on the OTA update.

ny3ranger
Jul 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
I got that the first time. I also plugged it in the second time. Try that.

I only get an unable to check for update Error

unlinked
Jul 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
Great for people with slower internet, such as myself :)

Great for everyone really.

TrickyRick
Jul 22, 2011, 05:29 PM
Looks like Restore from iCloud isn't working... my iPad 2 is stuck at logging in. And my iPhone 4 is stuck at <1 minute remaining on the OTA update.

It said in the patch notes not to use that as a backup for "critical data". Guess that's why.

EricBrian
Jul 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Mine is downloading too. Not as fast though as others'. I am thrilled that OTA is finally coming to iOS. :) Delta Updates FTW! :)

EMagnusL
Jul 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Just hang in there. Mine was at "<1 minute" for almost an hour, but it finally finished. It just came back up after the install, and all seems well.

My regular "Camera Roll" is intact, but other picture folders I had on my phone are gone. I backed up prior to the update, so I just have to sync them back on.

funjon
Jul 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
It said in the patch notes not to use that as a backup for "critical data". Guess that's why.

Yes, and anything critical I have is saved elsewhere. But my only option now is starting over as a new iPad - that kind of sucks.

Eric-PTEK
Jul 22, 2011, 05:32 PM
I'm on 3, never got to 4 and get Unable to Check for Update on both wifi and 3G.

Downloading it from the website...

pic620
Jul 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
my iPad updated OTA no problem. but my iPhone was hanging. so I restet it. now settings crashes everytime I open it. I'm gonna have to reinstall from my Mac. which will take a good hour with all the music I have on there. fml. this was supposed to be easier.

Beaverman3001
Jul 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
my iPad updated OTA no problem. but my iPhone was hanging. so I restet it. now settings crashes everytime I open it. I'm gonna have to reinstall from my Mac. which will take a good hour with all the music I have on there. fml. this was supposed to be easier.

Beta for a reason :rolleyes:

Laird Knox
Jul 22, 2011, 05:36 PM
And its still 133MB? Wow.. Can you do it over 3G and WiFi? I feel bad for whoever is updating without unlimited if it works on 3G.

I would rather get the entire download over 3G instead of the delta just because AT&T annoys me. ;)

parapup
Jul 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
<NEVAAR MIND it is right there in the screen shot>

wordoflife
Jul 22, 2011, 05:42 PM

My computer internet (connected via ethernet) is faster than my iPhone on WiFi. Plus, downloading 133MB probably would take a lot of battery so I'd keep it plugged into the charger anyways. (I charge using my computer).

I'll see how it works when it's released.

Porco
Jul 22, 2011, 05:43 PM
Ignorant person's question time for people who know better:

So will this mean that if you update any device running iOS 5 through iTunes you can just download the smaller update, or will doing it connected to iTunes still result in the humungotron .ipsw download?

And does calling it 'OTA' mean 3G and WiFi or just 3G?

nfl46
Jul 22, 2011, 05:44 PM
Ignorant person's question time for people who know better:

So will this mean that if you update any device running iOS 5 through iTunes you can just download the smaller update, or will doing it connected to iTunes still result in the humungotron .ipsw download?

And does calling it 'OTA' mean 3G and WiFi or just 3G?

I did OTA over 3G and it worked fine. It finished in around 9 minutes. Some others did it over WIFI. It works on both.

Negafox
Jul 22, 2011, 05:45 PM
Is Apple finally offering diff patches? About damn time if so.

macduke
Jul 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
Crap, mine has been stuck at <1 minute for about 25 minutes now. I didn't make a backup either, so I'm running that right now. Hopefully it makes the backup without any issues. I had to reinstall iTunes beta 3 since Lion wiped that out, apparently.

To those who have their iPhones stuck at <1 minute, did you leave the settings app and do anything else and come back and now it doesn't have any details? Is that what is causing our devices to get stuck?

Haha, I just checked it again before posting and now it says Install Now on the button. I suppose I'll wait for the backup to finish since people are saying that it is removing their important data.

This is what we get for being beta testers! I hope Apple uses these issues to sort out the problems for the public release. I think they should also add some polish to the update screen. Something nicer looking, like when you first get your device and it has the animated activation screens with the linen and such.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jul 22, 2011, 05:48 PM
my iPad has just updated via OTA, no luck with my iPhone

darbyclash34
Jul 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
Does doing this result in needing to resync your music?

EMagnusL
Jul 22, 2011, 05:57 PM
Does doing this result in needing to resync your music?

Not in my case. Just picture folders that weren't in the standard "Camera Roll."

ejpeg
Jul 22, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hmmm seems stuck…

iPhone up and running. iPad takes longer…

pfealey
Jul 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
OTA isn't working for me in the UK, and iTunes Beta v4 is absolutely screwed!

EDIT: The screenshot shows the iPhone as restoring from Backup, however it was at the syncing stage.. Couldn't even see the iPhone GUI in iTunes.

j-a-x
Jul 22, 2011, 06:04 PM
I just did it. Works fine and it's fast. I guess Apple has those Data Centers cooking at full speed. Very nice. Kudos to them!

-Mike

My OTA update got stuck at 90 % or so and its just been hanging there saying <1 minute for an hour. :(

GenesisST
Jul 22, 2011, 06:06 PM
mine is stuck at about 80%

Me too, but left it running while I was BBQ'ing, when I came back, I had an updated iPhone. Patience is the key here, I guess.

Dr Kevorkian94
Jul 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
I get an error saying unable to check for update. It says an error occurred while checking for software updates. And it asks to cancel or try again, try again doesn't work.

funjon
Jul 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
Got my iPad fixed, power cycled it and it's restoring from iCloud now. Wonder if I caught a DNS hiccough.

ghostlyorb
Jul 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

On my phone.. It downloaded then sent me a notification saying that I had an update. It installed pretty fast too. Much better than restoring.

EricBrian
Jul 22, 2011, 06:14 PM
The <1 minute took about 25 minutes for me. It is now installed.

diddl14
My computer internet (connected via ethernet) is faster than my iPhone on WiFi. Plus, downloading 133MB probably would take a lot of battery so I'd keep it plugged into the charger anyways. (I charge using my computer).
You made me curious. I've got a 100Mbps cable connection and didn't see a major speed difference between various test server from my PC and my iPhone. The internet is the bottleneck, not the iPhone. Downloading 133MB shouldn't take more than a few sec. Providing Apple provides decent bandwidth for a couple million people downloading.

At the moment it looks like Apple bandwidth is a big bottleneck. First 80-90% downloaded blazing fast and then it appears to have slowed down to close to zero. There is no speed or bytes left indication so hard to tell if its downloading at all...

thetoad30
Has anyone done a study/has knowledge of what this will do to jailbreaks?

Is this feature "forced" onto the phone or can the user select when to do it?

Thank you

ppc_michael
Jul 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
What is that font in the download description? Is that the Ubuntu font? Has it always been that?

DefiantSoul
Jul 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
To everyone hanging at <1 min, just hang in there some more! It'll eventually do it!

press045
Jul 22, 2011, 06:22 PM
OTA worked a lot faster on my iPad 2. My iPhone 4 hung at <1 minute for 30 minutes or so but it worked!

diddl14
Jul 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
Has anyone done a study/has knowledge of what this will do to jailbreaks?

Is this feature "forced" onto the phone or can the user select when to do it?

Thank you
In beta 3 the user has to explicitly start the update process. But this says nothing about how it will be in the final. Even if it is automatic I would worry too much about the possibilities to jailbreak. The jb-community has proven to be highly innovative in circumventing these things..

gkpm
Jul 22, 2011, 06:26 PM
What's the OTA update size for an iPad 2 Wifi?

Just curious as I've already downloaded the full thing.

Thanks.

Mr. Zorg
Jul 22, 2011, 06:34 PM
I did the same thing and had the same problem, but just let it sit for a while. Settings eventually started working again. Though the update bombed after that. Now I'm trying again.

viperGTS
Jul 22, 2011, 06:42 PM
Can anyone confirm if photo editing is now enabled on the iPod touch 4G? Thanks :)

macduke
Jul 22, 2011, 06:51 PM
BEWARE:

If you started downloading the update, but decided to do a sync of the iPhone to backup your data, after awhile the iPhone pops up this message:

Software Update
iOS 5 beta 4 will be installed in 10 seconds. Your iPhone will restart when installation is finished.

I think it started the countdown at 10 seconds. I noticed it at about 7 seconds and then snapped a quick screen shot at 4 seconds and hit the Later button.

I do not know if this would interrupt any other processes. After it popped up I noticed my iTunes backup had complete, so maybe it does it if it notices the iPhone is idle. In which case, I guess it doesn't quite matter. But apparently initiating the download will automatically trigger the install process after a given time period. If I had to guess, it would have been 15 minutes or so after the download finished for me. Below is a screenshot of this "new feature":

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/1216/softwareupdate.png

tbobmccoy
Jul 22, 2011, 06:55 PM
Finally... this is probably because of the wireless data networks' capping data... who would ever want to update if it drives you either a. well over your limit or b. uses up half of your monthly allotment of data?

Natesac
Jul 22, 2011, 06:58 PM
I have the update on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. I had a friend add my udid to help him test his projects.

Am I able to set up an iCloud account? Or do I need to be the paid dev?

garylapointe
Jul 22, 2011, 07:01 PM
The over-the-air software update only downloads code that has changed or been updated in the update, thus making for a much smaller download. In this case, 691 MB smaller.

Plus, you need to factor in possibly needed a new version of xCode (3 Gig?) and and possibly a new version of iTunes (150 MB?).

This is very interesting for the future. We might get updates more often...

Gary

paulcdb
Jul 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have the update on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. I had a friend add my udid to help him test his projects.

Am I able to set up an iCloud account? Or do I need to be the paid dev?

If you have iOS 5 then you can setup iCloud... It is so nice to finally have things backup without remembering :) lol

DoctorClaw
Jul 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

OTA update works great!!!!

DoctorClaw
Jul 22, 2011, 07:16 PM

Easy fix... Do you have a hammer?

Natesac
Jul 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
Do I need to install a new beta of iTunes to get he wifi sync working?

munkery
Jul 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
I kinda liked the clean installs that came with doing an update.

This way is probably better for the average consumer.

I believe that there is a setting so that iCloud and other related features will only work on WiFi.

aussieNickuss
Jul 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
133MB is still a large file to be downloading over the air (via 3G). My mobile plan has 2.5GB allowance which I almost use the whole lot each month. And that's a BIG plan. I'd hate to see what this will do to people with normal plans (1GB or less). I'm hoping the update is this big because of the beta and will get smaller and smaller upon the official release.

MacAddict1978
Jul 22, 2011, 08:51 PM
Yeah Patching is a genius feature isn't it? Or better, wtf haven't they always done this in the first place? Hey, let's do this with iTunes next! Or everything that isn't a full on new version... welcome to yesterday Apple.

MacAddict1978
Jul 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
133MB is still a large file to be downloading over the air (via 3G). My mobile plan has 2.5GB allowance which I almost use the whole lot each month. And that's a BIG plan. I'd hate to see what this will do to people with normal plans (1GB or less). I'm hoping the update is this big because of the beta and will get smaller and smaller upon the official release.

You don't have to do anything as over the air updates if you don't want to. My question is, if you update it the old way, is it still a small patch or do they force on you downloading the whole OS again? Which has never been a treat since it fails and has to redownload multiple times in a lot of cases.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 22, 2011, 11:03 PM
about damn time Apple did this.

Now I am just going to wait for when they go live for people complaining about how they can not update there iPhone/iPod with an OTA when the battery is less than 50% charged even when plugged in.

50% charge is based on what the other guys currently are doing and I fully support it because last thing you want to have happen is for the phone to loose power mid update and reason you require it even when plugged in is well what happens if power goes out during the update.

Either way this is a good thing and I am glad Apple is doing it. The biggest reason I always hold off updating my iPod is I hate downloading the 700 meg file for even a MINOR update.

zorinlynx
Jul 23, 2011, 12:05 AM
I thought the whole reason Apple stopped doing patch-style updates is that phones were being bricked because the owner jailbroke them and the incremental patch thus no longer worked?

Did they find a way around this? Maybe a checksum check before the update to make sure the system is stock, and if not, require a full update from iTunes?

Curious!

Rodimus Prime
Jul 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
I thought the whole reason Apple stopped doing patch-style updates is that phones were being bricked because the owner jailbroke them and the incremental patch thus no longer worked?

Did they find a way around this? Maybe a checksum check before the update to make sure the system is stock, and if not, require a full update from iTunes?

Curious!

No Apple never did OTA updates. For the iOS it has always been you have to re-download the entire OS and have it installed when really you only need a delta update. For example the last update that killed jailbreakme.com at most I bet was a 5 meg changed but you still had to download a 700 meg file which is the reason my iPod is still not updated.

diamond.g
Jul 23, 2011, 06:51 AM
No Apple never did OTA updates. For the iOS it has always been you have to re-download the entire OS and have it installed when really you only need a delta update. For example the last update that killed jailbreakme.com at most I bet was a 5 meg changed but you still had to download a 700 meg file which is the reason my iPod is still not updated.

I thought the original iPhone had one delta update?

jonnysods
Jul 23, 2011, 07:08 AM
This is so cool. It's not just the 700mb download, it's the restore and replacing all my apps and music afterwards. Takes forever!

jeme
Jul 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
So do I update to lion first or do my iPhone 4 and ipad2 oat first? Any advice? I just don't want to cause any issues or conflicts.

bchreng
Jul 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
Sorry for not being up to speed on this, but does this mean I can update iOS on my iPad by downloading it directly from a wifi connection and not having to connect through iTunes on my PC?

Boeing747
Jul 23, 2011, 03:57 PM
Sorry for not being up to speed on this, but does this mean I can update iOS on my iPad by downloading it directly from a wifi connection and not having to connect through iTunes on my PC?

yes

lakota704
Jul 23, 2011, 04:02 PM
can someone please help me i have ios 5 beta 3 and when i try to update it finds the update but never starts or it starts and endlessly says estimating time remaining what is the problem here?

fireedo
Jul 23, 2011, 11:00 PM
can someone please help me i have ios 5 beta 3 and when i try to update it finds the update but never starts or it starts and endlessly says estimating time remaining what is the problem here?

Same here...it happens on my iphone 4 and ipad2, any suggest what should i do? :confused:

browneb
Jul 26, 2011, 08:16 PM
Can't wait for OTA updates! Every time I try to update the iOS, iTunes is unable to recognize my iPhone and I end up having to restore with someone else's computer and restore the data from the backup. There's something up with my computer, so I want to "cut the cord" ASAP! :eek: