Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Note, this is ONLY for people who have actually purchased one, trying to get an idea of the breakdown in models.

I ended up with the 13" i7 (wanted the i5 version, but they were out).

Pogopuschel

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
13" i5 128GB SSD.

I don't think the upgrade to i7 was worth it, plus I have read about lower battery live and higher temperatures which scared me.

13" because it will be my main laptop and I'll be using it 7+ hours per day. Can't do that with an 11"

128GB because I'll be using an external disk for a lot of my music/videos/pictures anyway and there's not way I would need 256 for my "base" system. Don't do much virtualization or gaming either.

thatdrewguy

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
I was planning on buying the base 13 because every time time I've tried the 11 at the apple store I thought the screen was too small. I have never liked how much bigger the 13 was compared to the 11.

I wanted to give the 11 real world use at home so I bought the base 11. Now that I know I can live with the smaller screen I plan to return the base 11 for the i5 11 with 4/128.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Purchased the i7 13", but going to exchange it for the i5 13". The heat and fan is too much for a MBA. Some might disagree, but I paid good money for this and I want to be satisfied.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
13' i5 256SSD.

Should include the SSD, I think that would have more vs. i7.

Yeah, just started to get too many variations when I added the storage size (and RAM) in and I thought it would end up confusing. But I'm also curious about i5 vs. i7 and what the perceived value is for people. So far it looks like very few folks are opting for the 11" with i7.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
13" i7 256 delivers Monday

Local Apple store expects 13" i5's will be there tomorrow morning, going to grab one of those too, compare heat, fan, battery life then send back the one I don't like.

Next I'll do the same with an 11" ... but from what I'm reading I may just go ahead and get the i5 now.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
I bought the 13" i5 as my first mac, and I must say, performance-wise I'm a bit disappointed.

It's been a good 3 hours since I first booted up the machine, and some have mentioned something about indexing that might happening at the beginning that causes the machine to get busy. But even after 3 hours scrolling of some windows seem a bit clunky and not very smooth.

Maybe I'm just being picky... Other than the lack of perfect smoothness in animations it's great.

Pogopuschel

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
It's been a good 3 hours since I first booted up the machine, and some have mentioned something about indexing that might happening at the beginning that causes the machine to get busy. But even after 3 hours scrolling of some windows seem a bit clunky and not very smooth.

Maybe I'm just being picky... Other than the lack of perfect smoothness in animations it's great.
Hm, mine is as smooth as it gets. I can't imagine simple scrolling to be clunky.
Take a look at the activity monitor to see what's taking up your CPU cycles.

Grid

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I ordered an i7 (13") but cancelled the order and went for the 13" i5 instead. I am not convinced that there are serious heat issues with the i7, but I like a quiet machine and don't want to be wondering every time the fans spin up whether the i5 might have been quieter.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I am not convinced that there are serious heat issues with the i7, but I like a quiet machine and don't want to be wondering every time the fans spin up whether the i5 might have been quieter.

This.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.