PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 Over-the-Air Update Video, Documents on iCloud, and Other Notes

MacRumors
Jul 22, 2011, 07:18 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/ios-5-over-the-air-update-video-documents-on-icloud-and-other-notes/)

sZsSrm3E_Ow

InsanelyGreatMac (http://insanelygreatmac.com/) posts the above video showing the new iOS 5 Beta 4 (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/apple-seeds-ios-5-beta-4-to-developers/) over the air (OTA) updating in action. As we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/apple-seeds-ios-5-beta-4-to-developers/) the OTA update also saves bandwidth as it only sends changes rather than the entire OS image.

@MuscleNerd (http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd/status/94553431452286976) reports that OTA update won't work on Jailbroken devices.

We reported that iPhones must have 50% charge or be plugged into a power source to download the OTA update, but @johnheimkes (http://twitpic.com/5u8htq) reports this requirement is not enforced on the iPad which allowed the update to occur with only 12% charge.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/badge.jpg

Settings app displays a badge when an over the air update is available.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/07/doc.jpg

Apple has added a "Documents and Data" toggle for iCloud which allows you to turn on/off the ability for apps to save data and documents to the iCloud. There is also a way to chose whether these updates occur over 3G or only over Wi-Fi. This allows Apps to save their own data and user data to the iCloud so that it is available across devices, and backed up into the cloud.

The OTA update downloads over Wi-Fi or 3G connections.

Article Link: iOS 5 Over-the-Air Update Video, Documents on iCloud, and Other Notes (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/22/ios-5-over-the-air-update-video-documents-on-icloud-and-other-notes/)

Prodo123
Jul 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
The download for me went swimmingly, then at the "less than a minute" mark, the download froze. So I exited Settings.app and went back, but it stopped downloading. So in hopes of redoing the download, I rebooted and still there's no way to redownload the update from ground up.
Any ideas for updating OTA? I really wanna test it out, so I'm purposefully avoiding the IPSW as much as possible.

crisss1205
Jul 22, 2011, 07:26 PM
The download for me went swimmingly, then at the "less than a minute" mark, the download froze. So I exited Settings.app and went back, but it stopped downloading. So in hopes of redoing the download, I rebooted and still there's no way to redownload the update from ground up.
Any ideas for updating OTA? I really wanna test it out, so I'm purposefully avoiding the IPSW as much as possible.

For me I thought it froze on my iPad but I just left it and then when I came back about 10 minutes later it was just finishing up.

skyhawkmatthew
Jul 22, 2011, 07:27 PM
The download appeared to stall at "< 1 minute remaining", but after about 10 minutes it slowly completed the download and applied the update fine.

Re: Battery requirement: My iPhone 4 was on ~40% when I did the update, it downloaded and installed fine.

Branskins
Jul 22, 2011, 07:29 PM
It probably works on the iPad at 12% because the iPad has much longer battery doesn't it? Like the iPad only warns you at 10% whereas the iPhone warns you at 20% and 10%.

JonoX
Jul 22, 2011, 07:42 PM
The over the air updates are very slick and a marked improvement for sure..Too bad Apple blocked OTA updates for those jailbroken...haha.

Blakjack
Jul 22, 2011, 08:01 PM
I found it funny when the time lapsed and he mentioned that it was an hour vs 4 minutes

klamse25
Jul 22, 2011, 08:04 PM
Feels like a slap in the face for jailbreakers...
That really sucks.

rtkane
Jul 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
My iPad forced me to plug-in with 24%, so your mileage may vary being able to update without A/C power.

rtkane
Jul 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
That really sucks.

I don't think Apple cares about jail breakers.

mgcbp7
Jul 22, 2011, 08:07 PM
Mine took nowhere near an hour. Really smooth though.

arian19
Jul 22, 2011, 08:07 PM
Is there a place I can see all the changes that beta 4 has done?

Rocketman
Jul 22, 2011, 08:08 PM
I think it was about a year ago that the US carriers said OTA Apple updates would not count against bandwidth. I would be curious if there is a way to see if that is true in practice on these tests.

It makes business sense to do that. You don't want to discourage OS and security updates for any reason by any user.

Rocketman

mdriftmeyer
Jul 22, 2011, 08:11 PM
I see a lot of I/O error by the host in this video.

Minhthien
Jul 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
That really sucks.

This is just an option! I bet apple would still let you do the old fashion way too!

$tevejob$
Jul 22, 2011, 08:22 PM
is there not going to e a beta 4 itunes for windows?

how do you get wifi sync to work with windows?

SuperMacMan
Jul 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
I, too, got the "<1 minute remaining" message and the "stuck" progress bar. I stuck with it, left Settings open, and went to do some other stuff. Came back after 20 minutes and it still said "<1 min", but the progress bar had moved. A minute later, it popped up a message saying that it was done & it would reboot in 5 seconds.

Basically, stick with it. It may appear stuck or broken, but it will work - eventually!

Aside from that, iOS 5 now feels more like iOS 4.3.4, but with all the new features. It's faster, more responsive, MUCH less buggy, Safari no longer crashes, and apps don't randomly crash anymore. It's really good, now :)

Prodo123
Jul 22, 2011, 08:31 PM
I, too, got the "<1 minute remaining" message and the "stuck" progress bar. I stuck with it, left Settings open, and went to do some other stuff. Came back after 20 minutes and it still said "<1 min", but the progress bar had moved. A minute later, it popped up a message saying that it was done & it would reboot in 5 seconds.

Basically, stick with it. It may appear stuck or broken, but it will work - eventually!

Aside from that, iOS 5 now feels more like iOS 4.3.4, but with all the new features. It's faster, more responsive, MUCH less buggy, Safari no longer crashes, and apps don't randomly crash anymore. It's really good, now :)

Yes, I had dinner and let the phone sit for 30 extra minutes. Finished before I even noticed it!

S.Jobs
Jul 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
good, i hate updating the whole thing for a couple megabytes

SheepNutz
Jul 22, 2011, 08:36 PM
That really sucks.

Don't worry, the dev team will just figure out a way around that or a way to enable OTA updates for jailbreakers.

wovel
Jul 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
That really sucks.

So now we should expect Apple to go out of there way to make things work for jail breakers? Maybe we should expect them to apply a delta update to something when they have no way of verifying what is actually there...

Kutjara
Jul 22, 2011, 09:10 PM

I had the same problem and messed around trying to get it to work for an hour, doing all the usual soft and hard resets. Finally, I gave up and went the old tethered iTunes route. A bit disappointing.

alectheking
Jul 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
My iPad and iPhone both stopped me for being bellow 50% battery. My iPad in particular was at 32% and I expected it to work but it popped up the 50% warning and stopped me.

pmz
Jul 22, 2011, 09:38 PM
If any of you had any patience at all, you could have waited, and the OTA update would have eventually finished, even though it was going "slow".

I'm more concerned with beta 4's syncing with iTunes. Likes to reinstall installed apps during a sync?

Prodo123
Jul 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
If any of you had any patience at all, you could have waited, and the OTA update would have eventually finished, even though it was going "slow".

I'm more concerned with beta 4's syncing with iTunes. Likes to reinstall installed apps during a sync?

I wasn't impatient. I waited 10 minutes after it said "less than 1 minute."

No reinstallation of apps or songs. Just calendars, mail, everything in the "Info" section of iTunes and photos had to be re-synced for me.

Bobtodd
Jul 22, 2011, 10:06 PM
Mine sat at <1 min for about 30 mins then crashed and went into recovery mode and needed to be synced to iTunes. 16g 3gs
never over the air update for me as i can't trust it. if I'm away from my computer i would have no phone.

Ganstavoo
Jul 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
My OTA update is not working, I'm connected to a power source at 28% battery... When I click "software update" it starts to search for updates then come sup with a message saying

" Unable to check for update"
"An error occurred while checking for software update"
"Cancel" Try Again"

Any suggestions?

zachever
Jul 22, 2011, 10:40 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

He didn't read the terms and conditions!! =O

MarkCooz
Jul 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
Found something new.
I found this... it's interesting.

Past betas. In the app store. It would just say either
"Install" or the Price.

now after you installed the application, it'll actually say "Installed" which i find awesome! :P

and also after a few twitter notifications, it'll say " You have (x amount) new Twitter Notifications"

That's new!! I haven't seen that at all in previous betas.
:apple:

mattdo93
Jul 22, 2011, 11:02 PM
Found something new.
I found this... it's interesting.

Past betas. In the app store. It would just say either
"Install" or the Price.

now after you installed the application, it'll actually say "Installed" which i find awesome! :P

and also after a few twitter notifications, it'll say " You have (x amount) new Twitter Notifications"

That's new!! I haven't seen that at all in previous betas.
:apple:

Nice find! ;)

L I G H T I N G
Jul 22, 2011, 11:19 PM
The over the air updates are very slick and a marked improvement for sure..Too bad Apple blocked OTA updates for those jailbroken...haha.

Why would jailbreakers want OTA updates? Apple is doing them a favor by not corrupting their firmware.

kas23
Jul 23, 2011, 01:14 AM

Tell me, exactly why would a jailbreaker want to even try to do an OTA iOS update? In all likelihood, it'll kill the jailbreak. In fact, I see this "problem" as more of a solution for people who would accidentally kill their JB via an OTA airport.

Aaargh!
Jul 23, 2011, 01:31 AM
That really sucks.

Allowing a delta update on a jailbroken device would be far too dangerous. Remember that a delta update only contains the changes between the previous version and the new version, that won't work reliably if the old version is not exactly the same as the one that was used to create the delta. Once you jailbreak your OS is modified; applying a delta to something else than what it was created against will give an undefined result and probably just brick the device.

Justin122
Jul 23, 2011, 05:54 AM
Spelling mistake in the last paragraph - "chose" should be "choose".

haruhiko
Jul 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
Mine shows "iOS 5.0 - Your software is up to date"
although I'm still running iOS 5 beta 3 :mad:

jonnysods
Jul 23, 2011, 07:09 AM
Just leave it if it's freezing - it eventually worked for the iPad and iPhone i was waiting on.

NightFox
Jul 23, 2011, 07:40 AM

Currently >2hrs at <1 min remaining - how patient does a guy have to be?

rtkane
Jul 23, 2011, 08:05 AM
Currently >2hrs at <1 min remaining - how patient does a guy have to be?

Did you try a reboot? 2+ hours seems like maybe it's stuck?

NightFox
Jul 23, 2011, 08:33 AM
Did you try a reboot? 2+ hours seems like maybe it's stuck?

Yep, reboot and reset. Unfortunately, the update status seems to even survive a full hard reset so I'm not sure how you can get it to start again if it hangs like this - thankfully my phone still works fine, but the OTA update seems stuck with no way of resetting it or starting again.

catmonkey
Jul 23, 2011, 12:24 PM
Hi, I don't know if this has been noticed before but today I keep noticing a dictionary bubble pop up when i backspace to the previous word if it was corrected - this bubble shows what I typed before it got auto corrected.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_losnc1sngh1qlyqmro1_500.png

steveza
Jul 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
Yep, reboot and reset. Unfortunately, the update status seems to even survive a full hard reset so I'm not sure how you can get it to start again if it hangs like this - thankfully my phone still works fine, but the OTA update seems stuck with no way of resetting it or starting again.Mine was the same, resorted to doing a regular restore through iTunes with the update from the Dev site. Everything is fine now.

shandyman
Jul 23, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yep, reboot and reset. Unfortunately, the update status seems to even survive a full hard reset so I'm not sure how you can get it to start again if it hangs like this - thankfully my phone still works fine, but the OTA update seems stuck with no way of resetting it or starting again.

you tried flicking it into airplane mode? that sorted me out

igazza
Jul 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
never over the air update for me as i can't trust it. if I'm away from my computer i would have no phone.

I take it you didn't read Apples warnings ?

Please only install iOS 5 beta on a device dedicated to development. You should not install iOS 5 on devices you need for every day, general use.

iCrizzo
Jul 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
I am not sure why Apple even waste time writing up NDA agreements?:confused:

heisetax
Jul 23, 2011, 09:57 PM

That says it all. This is my opinion & I've purchased many Macs & iToys since 1984. This includes a couple of Newtons.

aboyd30
Jul 23, 2011, 11:06 PM
After performing a successful OTA update, did anyone notice that their "Other" data size grow about .5 GB? On my 8GB 3Gs that makes a lot of difference to me and syncing it with the latest version of iTunes didn't delete the extra data. Any solutions to removal or comments?

MacRy
Jul 24, 2011, 03:54 AM
Oddly enough my iPhone seemed to have downloaded the update by itself overnight and I just had to install it in the morning. My iPad I had to download first then install. Anyone else have that?

Both went fine by the way although the iPad did stall at the one minute remaining mark for about ten minutes.

DanWithams
Jul 24, 2011, 07:48 AM
Being the idiot I am I didn't read online what would happen to my photos and videos when updating to iOS5 Beta 4 (on my iPhone 3GS), and in the installation process I wasn't informed either that these items would be lost - any got any tip for recovering lost photo/movie data?

Official or 3rd party is fine, haven't found anything on google over the past 20mins. Just managed to loose all my holiday snaps! D: lol - oddly, I still have a thumbnail of my last photo in the camera app in the corner, but when I select it, it says I have no photo or movie media on the phone =/

Thanks in advance!

Formul
Jul 24, 2011, 07:55 AM
OTA update took abou 40 minutes and i havent got any crashes since! compared to a crash every 2-3minutes on beta 3 its real improvement:-)

DanWithams
Jul 24, 2011, 08:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5274d Safari/7534.48.3)

Being the idiot I am I didn't read online what would happen to my photos and videos when updating to iOS5 Beta 4 (on my iPhone 3GS), and in the installation process I wasn't informed either that these items would be lost - any got any tip for recovering lost photo/movie data?

Official or 3rd party is fine, haven't found anything on google over the past 20mins. Just managed to loose all my holiday snaps! D: lol - oddly, I still have a thumbnail of my last photo in the camera app in the corner, but when I select it, it says I have no photo or movie media on the phone =/

Thanks in advance!

Just for everyones info - soft reset got everything back for me! :)

cozmot
Jul 24, 2011, 09:31 AM
I see a lot of I/O error by the host in this video.

Just imagine how well it works with a proficient user! :D

vikingdave
Jul 24, 2011, 10:30 AM
That really sucks.
I'll probably catch some heat for this, but with a differential update it would be quite possible for it to cause major problems if applied to jailbroken phones. There would simply be no way for Apple to gurantee the integrity of the patch when the starting point from there perspective is an unknown. They probably aren't even pushing just files that have changed, but rather just the differences within changed files, this would almost certainly render a jailbroken phone useless. From a technical perspective this is a no brainer and they did the right thing.

Mr. Gates
Jul 24, 2011, 10:33 AM
I will never use this feature.

I'm glad Apple isnt trying to force it

diamond.g
Jul 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
I will never use this feature.

I'm glad Apple isnt trying to force it

Can you turn it off?

Sackvillenb
Jul 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
I'm actually looking forward o IOS 5 more than I was for Lion. I think the IOS devices have much more room for improvement than the actual Macs. And I find most of the IOS devices' limitations are software based, as opposed to "real" limitations imposed by the hardware...

spyd4r
Jul 24, 2011, 02:59 PM
with this update, if you're streaming to a bluetooth device the music app constantly drops the audio when switching from portrait to landscape or when locking/unlocking the screen. really annoying.

shandyman
Jul 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
Can you turn it off?

it's not automatic, it's a manual choice, you go into software update to do it.

tho whats not to like? updating without having to backup or connect to itunes! :)

diamond.g
Jul 24, 2011, 05:19 PM
it's not automatic, it's a manual choice, you go into software update to do it.

tho whats not to like? updating without having to backup or connect to itunes! :)

It seemed to me that it downloads the update automatically. Or at least it seems like it is for those in the beta. That is why I was asking if you can turn t off.

casedogg311
Jul 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
When you guys did the OTA update to beta 4, did it "restore" your phone or simply update the software? I'd like to avoid having to load my backup and restill my apps. A simple software update would be awesome

vikingdave
Jul 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
I am not sure why Apple even waste time writing up NDA agreements?:confused:
They aren't intended to prevent harmless discussions like this one. Are you affraid to pull the tags off your mattress for fear of improsinment ?

cookiesnfooty
Jul 25, 2011, 01:03 AM
When you guys did the OTA update to beta 4, did it "restore" your phone or simply update the software? I'd like to avoid having to load my backup and restill my apps. A simple software update would be awesome

It just updates the phone, apps and data remains in tact on the phone.

franswa za
Jul 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
slightly of topic- can someone please post a link to iOS 5 beta 3, i only get to iOS 4?? once logged in as a dev

thanks

doctorfresh
Aug 2, 2011, 06:10 PM

this made me laugh - nice humour.

I suspect some people took it seriously though...