PDA

View Full Version : Enabling more configuration options in Lion Server?

jackhdev
Jul 22, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hi, I just bought a Mac Mini with Lion Server on it. I just finished the certification course this week for Snow Leopard Server (and only used Server Admin, NOT Server Preferences), so you can imagine my surprise when I started up the Mac Mini, and couldn't find Server Admin, but just "Server" which is idiot proof (aka no options to change anything) and everything is controlled by an on/off switch. I download the server tools, but when I opened up Server Admin, it only had the services not included in Server. How do I enable all of the services back into Server Admin? Is this possible, it almost seems like it has to be. What happened to POSIXs and ACLs and everything else you could modify? Did Apple just hit the delete button and take these options out? We're talking about a server, too, not the client version of Lion! Thanks.

timbloom
Jul 23, 2011, 12:17 AM
Hi, I just bought a Mac Mini with Lion Server on it. I just finished the certification course this week for Snow Leopard Server (and only used Server Admin, NOT Server Preferences), so you can imagine my surprise when I started up the Mac Mini, and couldn't find Server Admin, but just "Server" which is idiot proof (aka no options to change anything) and everything is controlled by an on/off switch. I download the server tools, but when I opened up Server Admin, it only had the services not included in Server. How do I enable all of the services back into Server Admin? Is this possible, it almost seems like it has to be. What happened to POSIXs and ACLs and everything else you could modify? Did Apple just hit the delete button and take these options out? We're talking about a server, too, not the client version of Lion! Thanks.

You can edit permissions by clicking your server in the left column of the Server.app window and choosing the Storage tab. You don't have the fine-grain ACL control there that you used to, but it should be sufficient for most small business settings.

Server Admin still exists, but you need to download it from Apple's support site: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1419

Yes, Lion server is gutted in terms of fine-grain administration. It's got a trade-off as an iOS management platform which may do well in some businesses. I'm sorry you got your certification right before the largest transition in the history of OS X server, as your and my knowledge now are hardly useful on the new server. (Background knowledge though is always a huge advantage when troubleshooting)