PDA

View Full Version : Is there any proof that Samsung panels > LG panels?

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 07:52 PM
or is it only because they see Samsung and automatically think it's better?

shaun132
Jul 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
bump, im interested to know this too, I got a samsung panel but toshiba SSD.

Im not too concerned about the performance gain in the samsung ssd, but does anyone know how the reliability of the two SSDs compare.

TheRealDamager
Jul 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
How can you tell which panel or SSD you got with your unit?

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
How can you tell which panel or SSD you got with your unit?

Applications > Utilities > System Profiler >
or
click on the apple to the top left > about this mac > more info

Click Serial-Ata on the left bar about 15 items down

Post what's written on your device tree to the right under intel 6

example: 11" - TS128C

To identify your display
open terminal , paste
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

the first line is your display model

example: 13" ultimate - LTH133BT01A01

mac jones
Jul 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
The one you don't have is better. ;)

coolbreeze
Jul 22, 2011, 08:42 PM
LG panel w/Toshiba here (13, 256, i5).

It's perfect.

Stop obsessing, people.

TheRealDamager
Jul 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
Panel is LTH133BT01A03.
SSD is Apple SSD SM256C Revision AXM09A1Q

So what does that mean?

Thanks for the help.

radiohead14
Jul 22, 2011, 08:52 PM
-SM128C
-LTH116AT01A04

i'm assuming my SSD is a Samsung? what about my display?

clyde2801
Jul 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
-SM128C
-LTH116AT01A04

i'm assuming my SSD is a Samsung? what about my display?

That was covered in detail four posts ahead of yours.

TheRealDamager
Jul 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
Maybe I'm misreading the post you refer to, but it looks to me like is just tells me how to get the code, not what the code means. I can ferret out the SC vs TM on the SSD, but what does the panel code mean?

radiohead14
Jul 22, 2011, 09:22 PM
That was covered in detail four posts ahead of yours.

where does it say if it's LG or Samsung? :confused: :rolleyes:

i found my answer in this thread instead:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807&page=3

Displays:
LT = Samsung
LP = LG

SSD:
SM = Samsung
TS = Toshiba

PaulDoFish
Jul 22, 2011, 09:31 PM
or is it only because they see Samsung and automatically think it's better?

Samsung is more popular than LG when it comes to TVs. Reviews usually favor Samsung TVs to LGs in the same price level.

I'm sure the LG and Samsung MBA screens are almost exactly the same though.

Duke15
Jul 22, 2011, 09:43 PM
The original question still has not been answered...there is also another thread meant for posting your results here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807)

darngooddesign
Jul 22, 2011, 09:46 PM
The one you don't have is better. ;)

Isn't that the truth. LOL

AbeFroman77
Jul 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
The original question still has not been answered...there is also another thread meant for posting your results here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807)

LOL, it almost went to discussing SSDs.

cookie.monster
Jul 23, 2011, 01:45 AM
Perhaps someone who has access to both types of panels and hardware color calibration can put all this x-vs-y to an end...

RobNor
Jul 23, 2011, 05:10 AM
I have a 2010 13" with a Samsung panel (same part number as in the 2011 model but version 1 rather than version 3) and a 2011 13" with LG panel.The Samsung is brighter and has a cooler tone than the LG which does look warmer but not as bright.Is this not the same difference as we are seeing between LG and Samsung panels in the iPad?

Hellhammer
Jul 23, 2011, 05:13 AM
Im not too concerned about the performance gain in the samsung ssd, but does anyone know how the reliability of the two SSDs compare.

Both appear to be very reliable. The Samsung one uses the same controller as Samsung 470 series which is one of the most reliable SSDs as of today. Toshiba SSDs aren't available for retail but I have yet to see them fail.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 07:45 AM
I have a 2010 13" with a Samsung panel (same part number as in the 2011 model but version 1 rather than version 3) and a 2011 13" with LG panel.The Samsung is brighter and has a cooler tone than the LG which does look warmer but not as bright.Is this not the same difference as we are seeing between LG and Samsung panels in the iPad?

Any difference in contrasts (ability to distinguish dark colors) between the two?

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 08:01 AM

RobNor and others...Could you try looking to these test images on and comment include what display you have?

Scales, Grey, RGB
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original

Scroll right and left to see the entire image.
Look for the ability to see all the shades at least from 16-248.
Often shades in certain colors will will clip at the high end,
start looking the same, or crush at the low end.

I notice RED and GREEN clips early on the 13" LG,
this can be corrected often by calibrating the display but
usually at the expense of perceived contrast which
seems already low on the LG.

Gamma 2.2
(* must be viewed at 100%, click original under the image as needed)
http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/94930126/original

Tilt the display back and forth watch for how quickly the shades change.
Ideally you want the inner rectangles to blend in with the surrounding grey background
and at best it should be consistant as you tilt the display or move your head around.

On my LG 13 the viewing angle is very narrow.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 08:10 AM
RobNor and others...Could you try looking to these test images on and comment include what display you have?

Scales, Grey, RGB

Look for the ability to see all the shades at least from 16-255.

I notice RED and GREEN clips early on the 13" LG.

Gamma 2.2

Ideally you want the inner rectangles to blend in with the surrounding grey background
and it should be consistant as you tilt the display or move your head around.

Exactly the same on mine. Any samsung owners care to weigh in?

Oh, and the LG has better viewing and contrast when the screen is less than 90 degrees from the keyboard.

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 08:59 AM
I got LG display on my 2010 13" MBA ultimate.

I don't get the brightness comparison. Anything beyond 50% is killing for the eyes when using indoor. I always use at 6 bars brightness which is about 40%. Though, everything on the screen looks washed out at this kind of dimmed light anyway and I've been living with that for years on PC laptops. My eyes just doesn't like bright display.

I thought the viewing angle on my LG panel looks great when the brightness is at 50%, everything is completely viewable from side until the reflection kicks in. Poor viewing angle as usual on vertical angle. I doubt you get anything great on vertical viewing angle other than IPS.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 09:12 AM
I got LG display on my 2010 13" MBA ultimate.

I don't get the brightness comparison. Anything beyond 50% is killing for the eyes when using indoor. I always use at 6 bars brightness which is about 40%. Though, everything on the screen looks washed out at this kind of dimmed light anyway and I've been living with that for years on PC laptops. My eyes just doesn't like bright display.

I thought the viewing angle on my LG panel looks great when the brightness is at 50%, everything is completely viewable from side until the reflection kicks in. Poor viewing angle as usual on vertical angle. I doubt you get anything great on vertical viewing angle other than IPS.

I don't give a fig about brightness, I could crank my LG all the way up and give myself a tan.

What I do care about is contrast. When I'm looking at black text on a white background, the text should look BLACK, not washed out or gray. It should look like it came off of a nice laser printer, not like it's been xeroxed a couple of times.

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
I don't give a fig about brightness, I could crank my LG all the way up and give myself a tan.

What I do care about is contrast. When I'm looking at black text on a white background, the text should look BLACK, not washed out or gray. It should look like it came off of a nice laser printer, not like it's been xeroxed a couple of times.
Texts looks black to me. Basically, with dimmed screen, background looks grey'ish, so there isn't much contrast at the beginning anyway. I don't get the fuss about it?

Maybe I don't have anything to compare but LG display looks great to me.

mac jones
Jul 23, 2011, 10:14 AM
This is a 'rumor' forum. Facts are not allowed ;)

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
This is a 'rumor' forum. Facts are not allowed ;)
Good one!:D

duffyanneal
Jul 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
OK, I picked up a 13 MBA yesterday that had a LG display. I started reading all the threads about the display differences, and I was curious if there was a difference between the two displays. Well fate would have it that my "X" key was defective so I went back to the store to get a replacement. While there I took a look at the display units. There was a good mix between the two different displays so I had an opportunity to view several of each type. From my non-scientific investigation I discovered that the Samsung display is the better of the two. The LG is a very good display, but the Samsung has slightly better viewing angles and a little more color saturation and contrast.

A little test I've been using for years to test viewing angles is about as basic as possible. I just open up an iTunes window and select the song list view. You'll see alternating bluish/gray stripes. The better the viewing angle of the display the more consistent the strips will be in color from the top to the bottom of the display. In this test the Samsung was more consistent than the LG. On the LG the bars start off gray at the top of the display and are faint gray at the bottom. This may be what some people perceive as a washed out display.

In side to side comparisons the colors do pop a little more on the Samsung. I didn't do any calibrations on the displays so it is possible that a good cal could help the LG with this aspect. I did cal my LG and it did look better than stock. No doubt most people probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the two displays. Though when you put them side by side the differences are perceptible.

I just got home and booted up the new machine. It appears that I now have a Samsung display. As I saw at the store the Samsung display on the replacement machine is a little better than my previous machine. That's my $.02

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
duffyanneal - If you get minute, could you open this test image and let us know how it looks on a Samsung 13" display?

Scroll to the right and see if you see all the shades or some start blending on the high end...

Reds and Greens blend on the LG.

http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285374/original

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
OK, I picked up a 13 MBA yesterday that had a LG display. I started reading all the threads about the display differences, and I was curious if there was a difference between the two displays. Well fate would have it that my "X" key was defective so I went back to the store to get a replacement. While there I took a look at the display units. There was a good mix between the two different displays so I had an opportunity to view several of each type. From my non-scientific investigation I discovered that the Samsung display is the better of the two. The LG is a very good display, but the Samsung has slightly better viewing angles and a little more color saturation and contrast.

A little test I've been using for years to test viewing angles is about as basic as possible. I just open up an iTunes window and select the song list view. You'll see alternating bluish/gray stripes. The better the viewing angle of the display the more consistent the strips will be in color from the top to the bottom of the display. In this test the Samsung was more consistent than the LG. On the LG the bars start off gray at the top of the display and are faint gray at the bottom. This may be what some people perceive as a washed out display.

In side to side comparisons the colors do pop a little more on the Samsung. I didn't do any calibrations on the displays so it is possible that a good cal could help the LG with this aspect. I did cal my LG and it did look better than stock. No doubt most people probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the two displays. Though when you put them side by side the differences are perceptible.

I just got home and booted up the new machine. It appears that I now have a Samsung display. As I saw at the store the Samsung display on the replacement machine is a little better than my previous machine. That's my $.02

Same here. Had a friend at the mac business unit look at my display vs the samsung I found. He could tell a difference in contrast (color saturation) and viewing angle between the LG and Samsung. He allowed me to swap out my i7, and got the new model home just now. Instead of a samsung SSD and LG display, it has a Samsung display and toshiba SSD.

I can tell a difference between the two displays. Toshiba SSD be damned, this one's a keeper.

Oh, and for those wondering how quickly a new model air will get to the refurbed section, you're welcome.:roll eyes:

He wondered about how the displays could be so different when I informed him about the MR site and the two different manufacturers. I then used the terminal command and showed him the different manufacturers. He at first sputtered disbelief until I reminded him about the 08 aluminum MacBooks, then he shook his head.

I can turn the samsung display all the way up, and while blindingly bright, it doesn't wash out. I can turn it down, and there's still good contrast. Blacks are BLACK, :censored: it!

duffyanneal
Jul 23, 2011, 11:53 AM
duffyanneal - If you get minute, could you open this test image and let us know how it looks on a Samsung 13" display?

Scroll to the right and see if you see all the shades or some start blending on the high end...

No blending on my Samsung.

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
This sounds like a bad news to me. My LG panel with the same test in the link provided, Red and Green high end 4 bars looked like a 1 big chunk with the same color. Bah!:(

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 12:04 PM

Same here. LG=Lesser Graphics

radiohead14
Jul 23, 2011, 12:41 PM

no blending here either. samsung panel

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for testing, trip to Apple Store coming ...
Like to see any difference between Samsung and LG.

Unless someone posts a corrected LG color profile.I tried the OSX calibrate without success.

sporadicMotion
Jul 23, 2011, 12:46 PM
This sounds like a bad news to me. My LG panel with the same test in the link provided, Red and Green high end 4 bars looked like a 1 big chunk with the same color. Bah!:(

That type of issue is exactly what hardware calibration will fix. A lot of the issues with these displays is the poor Apple default calibrations.

RobNor
Jul 23, 2011, 12:50 PM

Scales, Grey, RGB

Look for the ability to see all the shades at least from 16-248.

I notice RED and GREEN clips early on the 13" LG,
this can be corrected often by calibrating the display but
usually at the expense of perceived contrast which
seems already low on the LG.

Gamma 2.2

and at best it should be consistant as you tilt the display or move your head around.

On the first test I can see down to 16 on all bars on the LG (2011 13"),on the grey scale ones I can see the bar below 16.I can only see down to the bar one above 16 on the 2010 Samsung.I do not notice any clipping at the other end of the scale on either the LG or Samsung screens

On the second test both screens have similar narrow viewing angles

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 12:52 PM
On my LG 13 the viewing angle is very narrow.On my 13 my screen obviously needs to be at the right angle for everything to work. If I tilt my screen forward or backwards I can tell the difference.

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 12:55 PM
That type of issue is exactly what hardware calibration will fix. A lot of the issues with these displays is the poor Apple default calibrations.
I hope you're correct about it. It seems like having red and green clipped early seems to explain the slightly warmer tone/lacking saturation on the LG as other owner described?

Seems like Samsung panel on the 2010 MBA 13" suffer the same tilting=color distortion too.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191123

If it's just purely calibration issue I guess I'm ok with it. I'm no photographer anyway, and I don't think I'm needing all those color accuracy. I think I'm now suffering some kind of your-d!ck-is-bigger-than-mine syndrome or something.:o

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 01:01 PM
On the first test I can see down to 16 on all bars on the LG (2011 13"),on the grey scale ones I can see the bar below 16.I can only see down to the bar one above 16 on the 2010 Samsung.I do not notice any clipping at the other end of the scale on either the LG or Samsung screens

On the second test both screens have similar narrow viewing angles

This is interesting. The first test, on my LG 2010 13" MBA, despite on 40% brightness, I can see all the differences all the way down to the left most bar. However, red and green on the right most had all 4 bars clipped and looked like a big chunk of color.

I guess it's all down to individual panels even from the same model/batch? Back in the 15" LCD days I bought 2 identical model/brand LCD, and one appeared to be a little washed out than the other one, despite everything should be the same.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for testing, that's all I needed, trip to Apple Store coming ...

Unless someone posts a corrected LG color profile.
I tried the OSX calibrate without success.

Dude I have an LG and mine's the same way.

When viewing the top part...the last 4 red ones look the same...then the last 3 green ones look the same...then the last 2 blue ones look the same...then the gray looks normal (can tell a difference between every one.)

And it's the complete same on the bottom part. Every gray one is different. The first 2 blue on the left look the same. The first 3 green look the same. The first 4 reds look the same.

I think this is normal. Can anyone look at the same test and let me know if there's is like this too? And what type of display they have?

It's this test =

sporadicMotion
Jul 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
I hope you're correct about it. It seems like having red and green clipped early seems to explain the slightly warmer tone/lacking saturation on the LG as other owner described?

Seems like Samsung panel on the 2010 MBA 13" suffer the same tilting=color distortion too.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191123

If it's just purely calibration issue I guess I'm ok with it. I'm no photographer anyway, and I don't think I'm needing all those color accuracy. I think I'm now suffering some kind of your-d!ck-is-bigger-than-mine syndrome or something.:o

Hehehehe :p I call it "MacRumors Syndrome"

Most people wouldn't even notice or care unless they read about it. That said, I seriously hope the viewing angles are not as bad as the old Alu MacBooks.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 01:09 PM

How can I calibrate for free?

Chilla Frilla
Jul 23, 2011, 01:18 PM
You might want to take a look at what I've noticed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1195183

sporadicMotion
Jul 23, 2011, 01:24 PM
How can I calibrate for free?

Find someone who has a sensor you can borrow.

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 01:34 PM
Update: Now I see the red 4 bars same, green 3 bars though it looks almost 4 bars. No problem on the blue.

Performed some calibration attempts, none of the setting seems to make any differences on the colors. Interestingly, there're some other preset profiles and I click on the first one and now I can see all the red bars at the high end albeit the blue'ish tint.

If this is individual panel issue then I'm completely fine with it as long as viewing angle are more or less the same between SM or LG. I see no point taking the hassle to give Apple a call and make arrangement to return my MBA as it's CTO order (and I'm not even sure if they'd accept the return).

You might want to take a look at what I've noticed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1195183
It happen on my 2010 MBA 13" LG panel but not as bad as yours that you can actually take a photo to show the problem, if anything, slight tilt of the screen further back and the shadow is gone. Tried to make my eye level/angle the same as how you took the photo, and was having hard time to see the effect from side. I did play around with the screen angle and only appear at some angle that will never work during regular use.

In short, no problem when the screen is at normal viewing angle.

RobNor
Jul 23, 2011, 01:44 PM
I can't see this on my 2011 13" with LG display

PaulDoFish
Jul 23, 2011, 01:51 PM

13 inch LG screen here. The highest 4 bars on mine blend too for Red.
Green is a little better; the top 3 bars blend.

But still, if Samsung displays that much better with no blending, this is unacceptable.. We paid good money. I would bet the LG screens were cheaper to produce than the Samsung screens....

AbeFroman77
Jul 23, 2011, 01:57 PM
13 inch LG screen here. The highest 4 bars on mine blend too for Red.
Green is a little better; the top 3 bars blend.

But still, if Samsung displays that much better with no blending, this is unacceptable.. We paid good money. I would bet the LG screens were cheaper to produce than the Samsung screens....

I went to the Apple Store today and checked all the MBAs on display. All were Samsung. The one I bought from the same Apple Store was an LG. It could be coincidence but maybe Apple is only putting the Samsung screens on display.

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 03:28 PM
Just got back from the Apple store.

All Air display models, 13 and 11, clipped the Reds and Greens.
I checked the display type on a couple and they were LG.

Tried some MacBook Pros 15 and 17 and they did not clip, they looked great.

Found one Air in another store it was the previous gen 13"
with a Samsung screen ... and it had some clipping as well.
It didn't look that different if any. Could not compare it directly to a LG.

As a couple have posted a different .icc color profile
should solve the clipping issue but you would probably need
a hardware calibration tool to create a decent one.

You can try the manual OSX color profile advanced tool,
but I had no success with it as far as changing the RGB limits.

If your able to create a decent LG profile please post it!

Overall don't lose too much sleep over the clipping seen
in the test image unless your doing $500/Hr color work
and then your probably not using a Air and have a colormeter.

Bring up some photos on the LG or Samsung Air they look very nice in either case.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 03:34 PM
I went to the Apple Store today and checked all the MBAs on display. All were Samsung. The one I bought from the same Apple Store was an LG. It could be coincidence but maybe Apple is only putting the Samsung screens on display.

They only had one samsung at my local store, and it wasn't even on the front table, it was off to the side.

zenit
Jul 23, 2011, 03:44 PM
Compared Samsung/LG 2010 MBAs today....

To me the LG looks slightly better. Both are inferior to my 15" MBP Samsung.

shiny-blanket
Jul 23, 2011, 03:51 PM
I spent sometime calibrating the 13" Samsung panel with my Spyder3 Elite yesterday.

Profiled at 6500k @ 2.2 Gamma. Can't decide if I prefer the original which feels more accurate. Anyhows here's a share, if you have one I'd love to grab it too.

macbook_air_9CF0 (http://db.tt/rqt8lIB)

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
Compared Samsung/LG 2010 MBAs today....

To me the LG looks slightly better. Both are inferior to my 15" MBP Samsung.

Here's a quick image, ideally you should see all 8 shades of each color...
The 13" prev gen Samsung and new LG Airs, I tried both clipped some of them, 15/17 MBPros were fine.
Monitor calibration will help.

http://members.shaw.ca/JVPhoto/Images/TestImages/RGB_High.png

zenit
Jul 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
by the way...notebookcheck and anandtech did a relatively quantitative measures of panels on 13" MBAs.

The notebook check measured the samsung variant 9CF0 (LTH133BT01A01), while anandtech doesn't mention which panel they received.

Here are the measurements for samsung from notebookcheck:

Maximum: 341 cd/m²
Average: 306.8 cd/m²
Brightness Distribution: 77 %
Center on Battery: 333 cd/m²
Black: 0.52 cd/m²
Contrast: 640:1

Anandtech, on the other hand got this on unspecified panel manufacturer:

White Brightness: 427 cd/m²
Black level: 0.54 cd/m²
Contrast: 785:1

Possibilities:
1. they got different panels and the Samsung is quantitatively worse
2. they got the same panel but their measurement methods are different/calibrated differently
3. they got the same panel, but the manufacturer has crazy variability.

in any case, anandtech is reviewing the newer models now. Perhaps we can ask him this time to specify the panel manufacturer. If that is available, a better comparison could be made.

askrib
Jul 23, 2011, 04:29 PM
I spent sometime calibrating the 13" Samsung panel with my Spyder3 Elite yesterday.

Profiled at 6500k @ 2.2 Gamma. Can't decide if I prefer the original which feels more accurate. Anyhows here's a share, if you have one I'd love to grab it too.

thanks shiny , now how do i use it?

Samsumac
Jul 23, 2011, 04:43 PM
This is a storm in a teacup... You do understand that 98% percent of Air owners will never know of the existence of two panels, let alone try to discuss their subjective merits? :p

shiny-blanket
Jul 23, 2011, 04:46 PM
Copy it into ColorSync Profiles:

Finder > Cmd + shift + G > ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/

System preferences > Displays > Color

make sure “Show profiles for this display only” is unchecked, then select 9CF0

AbeFroman77
Jul 23, 2011, 04:48 PM
This is a storm in a teacup... You do understand that 98% percent of Air owners will never know of the existence of two panels, let alone try to discuss their subjective merits? :p

That's why they're not on here and we are.

Samsumac
Jul 23, 2011, 04:51 PM
Nope.. Since the graphic in the air are much better than the doomsday scenarios led to believe , panel origin seems to be the de facto issue to complain about :D

That's why they're not on here and we are.

askrib
Jul 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
thanks....it looks really dulled out on my screen. Odd.

AbeFroman77
Jul 23, 2011, 04:57 PM
Nope.. Since the graphic in the air are much better than the doomsday scenarios led to believe , panel origin seems to be the de facto issue to complain about :D

I would complain about the GPU if I needed it. It's the reason why I don't need a MBP.

NutsNGum
Jul 23, 2011, 07:19 PM

I completely agree. If you're happy with it, why change it?!?

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
Which displays were in the previous MBA's

Kafka
Jul 23, 2011, 10:00 PM
Don't know how this can be interpreted but just for the report:

On a 2011 MBP 13":
LP133WX3-TLA4 (9CC5)
The 2 last red are 1 block, the 2 last green are kinda ok, the 2 last blue are barely distinguishable, the grey could be better.

On a 2011 MBA 13" i5 (toshiba ssd)
LP133WP1-TJA3 (9CDF)
The last 4 red are 1 block, the 3 last green are 1 block, the blue are ok, and the grey are ok but depending a lot on your vertical axis of vision.

Both with default calibration.

I know I'm anal about these things but I'm wondering wether or not to trade back in the recent MBA against another.

Tomorrow if I find the time I'll try on a MBA 13" of 2010. I already know it's a LP133something by the way, maybe they only send LP133 stuff to France? :p

jackyyeow
Jul 23, 2011, 10:12 PM
So far I've only seen 1 report about reading the contrast on the low end side. On my 2010 13" LG they're all individual blocks, all the way to the left most block which is black across all colors. The samsung on 2010 MBA as reported wasn't able to show the darkest 2~3 bars properly. You can say samsung has blacker black because it's not able to show slight difference lighter black?:confused:

macbook123
Jul 23, 2011, 10:47 PM
Can somebody please explain how they do the associations between the LTH and LP numbers with Samsung and LG, respectively?

I remember with the late 2010 Airs people were usually talking about two different kinds of numbers that come up when looking in system preferences under displays and then going to item #17. The discussion back then was between 9CF0 and 9CDF. Now my new display is an LP one, and also 9CDF. Is it true that 9CDF=LP=LG and 9CF0=LTH=Samsung?

I remember clearly that the *rumor* at the time was (about as well backed up as the current display rumors) that 9CDF was superior to 9CF0. With the current generation is it the other way around?

PlayHard
Jul 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
The 13" prev gen Samsung and new LG Airs, I tried both clipped some of them, 15/17 MBPros were fine.

Image (http://members.shaw.ca/JVPhoto/Images/TestImages/RGB_High.png)

I was a little bummed cuz I just got back with my new baby and have the LG display (but the Samsung SSD). But it looks really good to me, especially after calibrating with SuperCal. Then I looked at the image and I can clearly see all shades. Overall I'm thrilled!

The only thing that is a little weird is I swear the text isn't as crisp as it should be. It seems a little jagged. I'm going to have to see if there's something I have to tweak.

OSMac
Jul 23, 2011, 11:56 PM
I was a little bummed cuz I just got back with my new baby and have the LG display (but the Samsung SSD). But it looks really good to me, especially after calibrating with SuperCal. Then I looked at the image and I can clearly see all shades. Overall I'm thrilled!

The only thing that is a little weird is I swear the text isn't as crisp as it should be. It seems a little jagged. I'm going to have to see if there's something I have to tweak.

Could you post your new calibration profile?

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 11:57 PM

Did you use the free version of SuperCal?

PlayHard
Jul 24, 2011, 12:07 AM
Did you use the free version of SuperCal?

Yeah, I did just download the free one. If you use the free one, it says it sets some of the values to default values, but I went with it anyway as a test. It is a little on the cool side but I kind of like it. (My friend says it's a little too blue.) But the colors pop much more (compared to the default) and since I don't do any design stuff, it's good for me. If I can figure out how to post my profile, I will.

PS...I'm now not worried about the jagged text. I never noticed it before but I went back to my Macbook Pro and iMac and they also were the same way. When I looked closely at them, it was the same. It happens mainly on websites with light back grounds and black text.

macbook123
Jul 24, 2011, 08:34 AM
by the way...notebookcheck and anandtech did a relatively quantitative measures of panels on 13" MBAs.

The notebook check measured the samsung variant 9CF0 (LTH133BT01A01), while anandtech doesn't mention which panel they received.

Here are the measurements for samsung from notebookcheck:

Maximum: 341 cd/m²
Average: 306.8 cd/m²
Brightness Distribution: 77 %
Center on Battery: 333 cd/m²
Black: 0.52 cd/m²
Contrast: 640:1

Anandtech, on the other hand got this on unspecified panel manufacturer:

White Brightness: 427 cd/m²
Black level: 0.54 cd/m²
Contrast: 785:1

Possibilities:
1. they got different panels and the Samsung is quantitatively worse
2. they got the same panel but their measurement methods are different/calibrated differently
3. they got the same panel, but the manufacturer has crazy variability.

in any case, anandtech is reviewing the newer models now. Perhaps we can ask him this time to specify the panel manufacturer. If that is available, a better comparison could be made.

Good post. Do you know how to contact Anandtech?

I think this debate should be settled once and for all, since it's getting ridiculously speculative.

How difficult is it to do an objective test?

clyde2801
Jul 24, 2011, 08:36 AM
Good post. Do you know how to contact Anandtech?

I think this debate should be settled once and for all, since it's getting ridiculously speculative.

How difficult is it to do an objective test?

Paging Dr. Hellhammer, paging Dr. Hellhammer....

kpdillon
Jul 26, 2011, 02:51 PM

Image (http://members.shaw.ca/JVPhoto/Images/TestImages/RGB_High.png)

When I look at this from my new Air 13" with an LG display the reds blend. However when I look at the same graphic on the same Air 13" via internet explorer using fusion all the reds separate.

The plot thickens.

shawnmac
Jul 26, 2011, 02:57 PM
When I look at this from my new Air 13" with an LG display the reds blend. However when I look at the same graphic on the same Air 13" via internet explorer using fusion all the reds separate.

The plot thickens.

How do you like the LG panel in general?

kpdillon
Jul 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
How do you like the LG panel in general?

Personally I think it's beautiful and with the Toshiba hard-drive it seems to perform great. That said, I really don't have another one loaded with Samsung to compare it with. But paying all the money I did for this thing and reading all the FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) on this forum is no fun.

shawnmac
Jul 26, 2011, 04:36 PM
Personally I think it's beautiful and with the Toshiba hard-drive it seems to perform great. That said, I really don't have another one loaded with Samsung to compare it with. But paying all the money I did for this thing and reading all the FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) on this forum is no fun.

I feel the same way, you spend the money and don't want to feel like your getting a lesser machine. Until seeing this forum I wouldn't have thought much of it. I do notice when using the computer though that I do end up with a minor headache when using it and staring at the screen that seems to happen a lot. I noticed that even before the Macrumors posts about the displays. It makes me wonder if both panels would do this, if it's the panel, a defect, etc. I notice when I go back to my desktop I don't have that problem.

I do recall getting a similar feeling with a high-res Dell laptop I had in the past and eventually I guess I got used to it and it stopped.

timewarrior
Jul 26, 2011, 05:54 PM
I feel the same way, you spend the money and don't want to feel like your getting a lesser machine. Until seeing this forum I wouldn't have thought much of it. I do notice when using the computer though that I do end up with a minor headache when using it and staring at the screen that seems to happen a lot. I noticed that even before the Macrumors posts about the displays. It makes me wonder if both panels would do this, if it's the panel, a defect, etc. I notice when I go back to my desktop I don't have that problem.

I do recall getting a similar feeling with a high-res Dell laptop I had in the past and eventually I guess I got used to it and it stopped.

I am also getting a headache with this display. I have an LG. I noticed that as soon as I opened up the machine at the Apple Store. However I face no such issues with iPhone 4 which has much higher ppi. Is there any one else who is facing the same issue.

HiRez
Jul 26, 2011, 06:46 PM
I've calibrated my 13" Air Samsung display using a Spyder3 calibrator.

Good:

-- brightness
-- sharpness
-- glare not bad for a glossy(ish) screen
-- contrast

Bad:

-- colors never get very deep and vibrant, especially reds. Greens are only so-so. My photos in Lightroom look noticeably worse than with Cinema display, iMac display, and MacBook Pro display, all set up using the same calibrator.
-- looks a bit "flat" overall (see above). Doesn't look bad, but doesn't "pop" either.
-- slight shadow area around the entire rim of the screen, mostly visible with white or very light background.

Meh:

-- viewing angles, gets mediocre quickly when off-axis (though not absolutely terrible).
-- linearity, brightness is not uniform edge to edge.

Conclusion:

Very good display for such a small portable, but not accurate if you require professional color management. Not very good for photo work.

clyde2801
Jul 26, 2011, 06:48 PM
I am also getting a headache with this display. I have an LG. I noticed that as soon as I opened up the machine at the Apple Store. However I face no such issues with iPhone 4 which has much higher ppi. Is there any one else who is facing the same issue.

Coming up....thread asking if your LG screen is causing blindness and sterility!

I've got the samsung screen-scuhwing!

Gemütlichkeit
Jul 26, 2011, 08:23 PM
to me, both look identical

i just want to know which one will develop dead pixels and die :o

OSMac
Jul 26, 2011, 08:39 PM
Question is if the screen is important would you be better off with a MacBook Pro?

HiRez
Jul 26, 2011, 08:43 PM
Question is if the screen is important would you be better off with a MacBook Pro?

I think what I'm going to do is pick up a 27" Thunderbolt Display when they become available in a couple months, plug the Air into it, and sell my older iMac. That'll leave me with good portability and great image display (and size) at home when I need to get serious about image editing or coding.

Kafka
Jul 26, 2011, 08:46 PM

Lower res so that's not so easy I guess.

Bokes
Jul 26, 2011, 09:33 PM
I have the LG and checked it against my Gen1 verC macAir.

I have both desktops set up with a black photo in the center of the screen and the rest of the desktop is set to black.

When I crank the brightness to 100% on the New 2011 MacAir the black background washes out.

When I crank the brightness to 100% on the older Gen1 macAir the black background remains nice and black.

Both are on factory settings.

Question- if I return to Mac Store - can I request a Samsung display?
Will they be able to tell on the box?

jenzjen
Jul 26, 2011, 09:48 PM

Sure, but they will look at you like you're crazy, since both components are within Apple spec and only way to tell is after you boot up the machine and go into About this Mac.

It would be like returning the machine and saying I want one with a Western Digital HD vs the Seagate HD in it currently.

Since you're probably still within your return window, you can try and see what you get in the replacement, but I wouldn't be surprised if they deny you a 2nd exchange unless something is really wrong.

macau
Jul 26, 2011, 10:00 PM

Your 6500k profile looks ok on my Samsung LCD - more neutral and it's taken the harshness off the whites. The default profile gives my display a bluish tint, and the whites are a bit too bright if you're looking at stuff on a white background for an extended period, which is what I do.

Starting to really like the MBA display. It's been a huge adjustment for me, because this is an upgrade from an old 2007 white MB with a non-LED, low res display. Initially I struggled with the small fonts, and different colour/brightness, but now my eyes are adjusting. I'm beginning to appreciate the extra sharpness the higher resolution display give you.

It seems the trend now is for higher and higher resolution LCD's. I suspect we'll soon see OSX with resolution independent scaling of fonts.

Bokes
Jul 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=jenzjen;13050364]Sure, but they will look at you like you're crazy, since both components are within Apple spec and only way to tell is after you boot up the machine and go into About this Mac.

Yeah- ya know what? It is pretty foolish- I never crank to 100%
The screen is fine.
I'm going to go back to enjoying this new machine.

GL to all.

Abazigal
Jul 26, 2011, 11:41 PM
I wonder just how much of this perceived "difference in performance" is really because of the hardware, and how much is simply because you believe you have a supposedly superior or inferior screen...:p

Pygmalion effect strong here...

h00ligan
Jul 27, 2011, 12:21 AM
Your 6500k profile looks ok on my Samsung LCD - more neutral and it's taken the harshness off the whites. The default profile gives my display a bluish tint, and the whites are a bit too bright if you're looking at stuff on a white background for an extended period, which is what I do.

Starting to really like the MBA display. It's been a huge adjustment for me, because this is an upgrade from an old 2007 white MB with a non-LED, low res display. Initially I struggled with the small fonts, and different colour/brightness, but now my eyes are adjusting. I'm beginning to appreciate the extra sharpness the higher resolution display give you.

It seems the trend now is for higher and higher resolution LCD's. I suspect we'll soon see OSX with resolution independent scaling of fonts.

If you don't already, turn on the two finger double click to zoom. Helps if you are used to smaller fonts. I actually wonder if I could get by with the 11" now, but if the trackpad is smaller, don't think so.

HiRez
Jul 27, 2011, 01:09 AM

Hmm, that looks very greenish on my Samsung 13". There may just be such a big variation between the same panel type that a calibration can't be trusted across machines (very possible). Here's my Spyder3 calibration for 13" Samsung, 6500K, 2.2 gamma, see what it looks like on yours (put into ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles):

unagimiyagi
Jul 27, 2011, 01:43 AM

Reds and Green blend on the Samsung too. I just tested.

HiRez
Jul 27, 2011, 02:09 AM
Reds and Green blend on the Samsung too. I just tested.

There's another thread about this. That appears to be a ColorSync issue, not related to the display hardware. View the same image in Chrome or Firefox (which don't use color management) and you should see the full range.

RobNor
Jul 27, 2011, 06:22 AM
Hirez,you mention non linearity is this top to bottom or left to right

My LG 2011 13" is a little less bright towards the bottom

HiRez
Jul 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
Hirez,you mention non linearity is this top to bottom or left to right

My LG 2011 13" is a little less bright towards the bottom

Both actually, it's slightly dimmer on the sides, a little less even top to bottom. Which might just be because it's a small screen with somewhat narrow viewing angles (in other words, sitting close to the screen your eyes are seeing the edges and a significant off-axis viewing angle). It's not horrible though, I can live with it.

h00ligan
Jul 27, 2011, 02:18 PM
While the effort is noble, sharing a hardware calibrated profile doesn't work.

shiny-blanket
Jul 28, 2011, 04:22 AM
Hmm, that looks very greenish on my Samsung 13". There may just be such a big variation between the same panel type that a calibration can't be trusted across machines (very possible). Here's my Spyder3 calibration for 13" Samsung, 6500K, 2.2 gamma, see what it looks like on yours (put into ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles):

Interestingly, your profile has a red hue for me, although I agree that my calibration is slightly green. I've just read the Anandtech review and they claim the panels are factory calibrated @6800k. It may be worth trying another calibration at that level.

squaremon
Jul 28, 2011, 12:03 PM
funny. i found that my iphone 4 and ipad Ace all these tests compare my my LG mba :eek:

Azathoth
Jul 28, 2011, 12:07 PM
I have the LG and checked it against my Gen1 verC macAir.

I have both desktops set up with a black photo in the center of the screen and the rest of the desktop is set to black.

When I crank the brightness to 100% on the New 2011 MacAir the black background washes out.

When I crank the brightness to 100% on the older Gen1 macAir the black background remains nice and black.

Both are on factory settings.

FFS - You realise that this "test" doesn't mean anything right?

Perhaps the brightness of a 2011 macbook is greater than the brightness of a Gen 1 macbook ;)

macd123
Jul 30, 2011, 04:52 PM

you are amazing!!!! this calibration deserves an award. i love it, i love it, i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes the screen look like its double the price!!!!:):):):):)

shawnmac
Jul 30, 2011, 04:58 PM
you are amazing!!!! this calibration deserves an award. i love it, i love it, i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! makes the screen look like its double the price!!!!:):):):):)

Okay, I tried that file on the LG screen and it actually brings out detail I didn't even realize was missing when using the previously best posted profile for the LG. Didn't even realize it was so dark in some areas (although that did make certain colors pop more) that certain detail was missing. Using this profile for now even though it was made for a Samsung.

Anyone have a spyder3 calibrated file for the LG screens?

Rankrotten
Jul 30, 2011, 05:56 PM
Anyone have a spyder3 calibrated file for the LG screens?
Try this one

gnxz
Jul 30, 2011, 06:16 PM

HiRez, thanks for sharing your calibration profile. What brightness level are you using for your screen?

shawnmac
Jul 30, 2011, 06:42 PM
Try this one

Have tried that, it looks very blue on my LG. I didn't even realize it did until I compared it to the Samsung one a few posts up (even though it wasn't made on an LG).

KPOM
Jul 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
Have tried that, it looks very blue on my LG. I didn't even realize it did until I compared it to the Samsung one a few posts up (even though it wasn't made on an LG).

This is for an 11" LG display (6500K, 2.2 Gamma)

shawnmac
Jul 30, 2011, 07:07 PM
This is for an 11" LG display (6500K, 2.2 Gamma)

This looks better on my LG 13" than all the others posted so far, thanks.

Ger Teunis
Dec 19, 2011, 03:04 PM
I have been tinkering with my monitor here to get at least the colors more neutral and the grayscale more even. Perhaps I can make others happy with my profile.

Here is my profile for a Samsung (LTH133BT01A03) on a 13" MBA 2011.
It's way more color neutral compared to the default one setup by Apple.

Perhaps it's very personal or even different for every panel, but I am happy with it.

http://cl.ly/2V3r0R1P3j1e123H2V1m
(Store in ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles create folders if they are not there).

Perhaps we could merge this thread in a MBA display calibration thread? I think it's important and it really gets more out of MBA when users calibrate.

tomaseriksson
Dec 19, 2011, 04:40 PM
Perhaps we could merge this thread in a MBA display calibration thread? I think it's important and it really gets more out of MBA when users calibrate.

+1. Would be great if we could get a sticky post with different favorite user calibrated profiles. Almost ALL macbook air users could benifit from this.

thekev
Dec 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
You guys are so silly:rolleyes:. These things have a fair amount of sample variation, and they shift in color as they age. Sharing profiles is not necessarily a good idea. On the Samsung vs. LG thing, you'd want to compare more than just a few to make up for sample variation among each brand.

GekkePrutser
Dec 20, 2011, 05:49 AM
Here is my profile for a LG (LTH133BT01A03) on a 13" MBA 2011.
It's way more color neutral compared to the default one setup by Apple.

That's NOT an LG, the LTHxxxxx is the Samsung panel. The LG ones start with LP.

Ger Teunis
Dec 20, 2011, 02:55 PM
That's NOT an LG, the LTHxxxxx is the Samsung panel. The LG ones start with LP.

Oops, you are right. Also agree on the usefulness of sharing profiles.
All other profiles shared here just look crap here; very panel and age specific it seems.

torana355
Jan 25, 2012, 08:07 PM

Well i have the Samsung panel and the last 4 bars on the red and green blend, it is a simple colour calibration issue.

dsc888
Jan 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
Well i have the Samsung panel and the last 4 bars on the red and green blend, it is a simple colour calibration issue.

I have the LG panel and have the exact same findings as you. Mine has been calibrated with an old i1 Display, not the highest tech but better than factory. I have better gray scales now. I think this just proves that Apple specifies the panels to be pretty close in performance and that sample variations lead some to believe that one brand is better than the other. Anandtech nailed it when he said he feels you be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 2 and that any measurable variation is just insignificant.

BTW, I do all my photo editing on my 17" MBP or on my 27" Apple Cinema Display with the IPS panel. The MBA is my couch/bed web device.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 03:54 AM
I too have a samsung panel, the last few squares of red & green blend for me too.

torana355
Jan 26, 2012, 04:00 AM
I too have a samsung panel, the last few squares of red & green blend for me too.

Download the test image to your desktop and open it in Photoshop or an image viewer like Xee and it will not blend anymore, i think Firefox and Safari have colour profiles inbuilt.

thekev
Jan 26, 2012, 04:01 AM
I have the LG panel and have the exact same findings as you. Mine has been calibrated with an old i1 Display, not the highest tech but better than factory. I have better gray scales now. I think this just proves that Apple specifies the panels to be pretty close in performance and that sample variations lead some to believe that one brand is better than the other. Anandtech nailed it when he said he feels you be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 2 and that any measurable variation is just insignificant.

BTW, I do all my photo editing on my 17" MBP or on my 27" Apple Cinema Display with the IPS panel. The MBA is my couch/bed web device.

You'd think that but the older i1 display never worked well with LED backlighting. It's not filtered for it. They can make some software adjustment, but it's not quite the same. The laptop panels in general can't really compete with a quality desktop display. That may be changing, but they're not all the way there yet.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 04:11 AM
Download the test image to your desktop and open it in Photoshop or an image viewer like Xee and it will not blend anymore, i think Firefox and Safari have colour profiles inbuilt.

just did that, didn't change a thing. Saved a screenshot to my desktop. Opened it with Xee. Still looked exactly the same, very strange?

torana355
Jan 26, 2012, 04:23 AM
just did that, didn't change a thing. Saved a screenshot to my desktop. Opened it with Xee. Still looked exactly the same, very strange?

Wait, did you take a screengrab of the image in the browser? You need to right click and actually save the image.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 04:36 AM
Wait, did you take a screengrab of the image in the browser? You need to right click and actually save the image.

ok thanks, it worked. I saved it. Pulled it back up. bam. No blending. I'm good now lol.

dsc888
Jan 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
You'd think that but the older i1 display never worked well with LED backlighting. It's not filtered for it. They can make some software adjustment, but it's not quite the same. The laptop panels in general can't really compete with a quality desktop display. That may be changing, but they're not all the way there yet.

Good point! That's why I qualified it as being "older":D. I am looking into getting a Spyder 4Pro which is supposed to be designed for our LED backlights.

dsc888
Jan 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
ok thanks, it worked. I saved it. Pulled it back up. bam. No blending. I'm good now lol.

Did you pull it back up in Safari or a photo editor? And are you using the default LCD Color profile from Apple by chance? Thanks for your info.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Did you pull it back up in Safari or a photo editor? And are you using the default LCD Color profile from Apple by chance? Thanks for your info.

I am not using the default color profile. I calibrated it looks amazing now I love it. I didn't pull it back up in safari or photo editor I pulled it up using Xee the image viewer though. I saved the image of the color test on my desktop and then opened it up with Xee.

dsc888
Jan 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
I am not using the default color profile. I calibrated it looks amazing now I love it. I didn't pull it back up in safari or photo editor I pulled it up using Xee the image viewer though. I saved the image of the color test on my desktop and then opened it up with Xee.

Thanks for you answer. It makes total sense. BTW, which color calibrator/profiler did you use. I am looking into the Spyder 4.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for you answer. It makes total sense. BTW, which color calibrator/profiler did you use. I am looking into the Spyder 4.

I was using ColorSync and I did a couple of different profiles with that but honestly I like the stock calibrator in the system preferences. Go to Calibrate then check expert mode. Every time I used colorsync and then compared it with a profile I made with the Calibration with expert mode I noticed my colors popped much more and seem to have more contrast with a tad bit more saturation which looks really good and the whites are more of a true white rather than a blueish tone. Try it out under expert mode.

dsc888
Jan 26, 2012, 10:08 PM
I was using ColorSync and I did a couple of different profiles with that but honestly I like the stock calibrator in the system preferences. Go to Calibrate then check expert mode. Every time I used colorsync and then compared it with a profile I made with the Calibration with expert mode I noticed my colors popped much more and seem to have more contrast with a tad bit more saturation which looks really good and the whites are more of a true white rather than a blueish tone. Try it out under expert mode.

Cool. Thanks. It' worth a try since it comes with the computer anyway. You are right. The stock LCD Display profile isn't that bad. It's actually pretty linear and you do see pretty much the many gradations of the RGB patterns as well as the gray scales. It's just a tad low on contrast a little cool, color wise.

ajohnson253
Jan 26, 2012, 11:08 PM
Cool. Thanks. It' worth a try since it comes with the computer anyway. You are right. The stock LCD Display profile isn't that bad. It's actually pretty linear and you do see pretty much the many gradations of the RGB patterns as well as the gray scales. It's just a tad low on contrast a little cool, color wise.

try calibrating whichever one you like most, remember to check the expert mode box you'll have more options and what not.