PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air 2011 "Gradient" Effect at Bottom of Display

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 08:39 PM
UPDATE: I've just returned from two different Apple stores in my area. EVERY single MacBook Air had this issue, no matter if it's the 11" or the 13", or even Samsung panel or LG panel. I simply cannot believe why any company would let this quality of panel make it into production. I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

One thing I quickly noticed after browsing in Safari full-screen, there is a very apparent gradient effect at the bottom of the display. I've owned the 2010 Air and never noticed this bad of a viewing angle, so I'm unsure if the problem might only be with the new model.

I tried my best to photograph the issue. It's about a half an inch in height at the very bottom display.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/60/img0973zs.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/img0973zs.jpg/)

Edit to other responders - the angle has nothing to do with this. It basically looks like a dithered drop shadow at the bottom of the screen. The op was just trying to capture it as bright straight into a lens won't often show defect.

wdaleherring
Jul 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Bro, that just seems like your viewing angle. It's not an IPS display so don't expect a there to not be wide variations from different views.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 08:52 PM
Bro, that just seems like your viewing angle. It's not an IPS display so don't expect a there to be wide variations from different views.

It could be the viewing angle, but it seems to be much worse than it should be. I've never seen a TN panel this bad before.

MattZani
Jul 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
mine has this too, can see it on my wallpaper. Unsure if its a Lion thing, to have a gradient at the bottom, haven't noticed it when booting tbh.

Hydrocity
Jul 22, 2011, 09:28 PM
Oh wow, it's Chilla Frilla.

logicsuggests
Jul 22, 2011, 10:36 PM
I really hope they've stepped up, the viewing angles and black levels, they're still premium priced laptops.

I remember doing a comparison at a store when I purchased my original aluminum late 2008 macbook, the original airs had much better viewing angels and black levels.

My experience with mac laptops has been reasonably good barring the absolutely disgusting quality of my macbook's screen. Seriously, the slightly angle change with these displays results in almost unwatchable video. No one's asking for 'pro' color accuracy just a useable screen.

lyrrad721
Jul 22, 2011, 10:45 PM
Who uses a laptop at such an angle anyway? :rolleyes:

h00ligan
Jul 22, 2011, 10:53 PM
I have what you mean too.. I'm not sure if it is a panel issue or a lion look thing.. but I'm guessing the latter, I'll let you know when I install windows.

Subscribing for future contribution (unless someone beats me to it)

Edit to other responders - the angle has nothing to do with this. It basically looks like a dithered drop shadow at the bottom of the screen. The op was just trying to capture it as bright straight into a lens won't often show defect.

Chilla Frilla
Jul 22, 2011, 11:04 PM
I have what you mean too.. I'm not sure if it is a panel issue or a lion look thing.. but I'm guessing the latter, I'll let you know when I install windows.

Subscribing for future contribution (unless someone beats me to it)

It's definitely not an intended appearance from Lion. My 17" MBP does not show the effect whatsoever.

logicsuggests
Jul 22, 2011, 11:09 PM

Dunno about you, but on my macbook right now, if I highlight text on this page and tilt the screen just a few degrees, text becomes unreadable.

If I experience the same issues on my 11" ultimate when it arrives I'll just send it back and look for an alternative ultra portable. I'm not asking for pro features, but I would like a usable screen.

Diatribe
Jul 22, 2011, 11:12 PM
Seems like these Air screens won't ever be trouble free. So sad.

myrtlebee
Jul 22, 2011, 11:43 PM
Mine's been like this since day one. It's simply the viewing angle. When I have my display tilted as far back as it will go (a nice viewing angle in bed sitting), it's not there at all. Also, the brighter it is, the less noticeable it is. No big deal, but most obvious in white fullscreen apps for sure. I don't know where people are getting the "oh, it's just Lion" conclusion. Nope. Was there for me in SL. It's also not a faulty panel- it's just the way it is. Mine's a 2010 11".

Chilla Frilla
Jul 23, 2011, 09:07 AM

Agreed, it's quite disappointing.

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2011, 09:17 AM
It's not a Lion issue. I'm using a 13 inch 2010 MBA and do not have the issue in Lion, nor do I have issues with off-angle viewing. What's the deal with Apple and displays though? I suffered through 5 yellowed iMac screens before finally telling Apple to go to hell. I would do the same if the screen on my 1000+ dollar laptop had issues. We're already overpaying for the product, so it better damn well be as close to perfect as possible.

tbobmccoy
Jul 23, 2011, 09:31 AM
It's not a Lion issue. I'm using a 13 inch 2010 MBA and do not have the issue in Lion, nor do I have issues with off-angle viewing. What's the deal with Apple and displays though? I suffered through 5 yellowed iMac screens before finally telling Apple to go to hell. I would do the same if the screen on my 1000+ dollar laptop had issues. We're already overpaying for the product, so it better damn well be as close to perfect as possible.

I've had 3 MacBooks (one of each kind) and none of my screens have had issues. I think you're just unlucky, but I certainly understand the frustration.

PS: I'm not overpaying for my MacBook, compared to the market. Samsung 9 series can't get close enough, and the SSD upgrade would have cost me more than I paid for the 256GB SSD. MacBook Airs are competitively priced for what you're getting, imo.

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
I've had 3 MacBooks (one of each kind) and none of my screens have had issues. I think you're just unlucky, but I certainly understand the frustration.

PS: I'm not overpaying for my MacBook, compared to the market. Samsung 9 series can't get close enough, and the SSD upgrade would have cost me more than I paid for the 256GB SSD. MacBook Airs are competitively priced for what you're getting, imo.

I wasn't unlucky with the iMacs. It's apparently just how they are. At one point the "genius"es at the Apple Store admitted the yellow-tinted screens are all within acceptable spec. It was at that point that I gave up and have never gone near an iMac again.

clyde2801
Jul 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
Lovin' my replacement 13" ultimate MBA with samsung screen for all of 10 minutes now.

I thought apple was done with the cheap screen crap after the 08 aluminum macbook brouhaha.

Dat LG screen had ta go...

LG=Lesser Graphics

Chilla Frilla
Jul 23, 2011, 12:51 PM
One thing I quickly noticed after browsing in Safari full-screen, there is a very apparent gradient effect at the bottom of the display. I've owned the 2010 Air and never noticed this bad of a viewing angle, so I'm unsure if the problem might only be with the new model.

I tried my best to photograph the issue. It's about a half an inch in height at the very bottom display.

Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/img0973zs.jpg/)

UPDATE: I've just returned from two different Apple stores in my area. EVERY single MacBook Air had this issue, no matter if it's the 11" or the 13", or even Samsung panel or LG panel. I simply cannot believe why any company would let this quality of panel make it into production. I couldn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes.

MattZani
Jul 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
I wonder if this will ever be fixed...

Oh well, I'll get used to it I guess, maybe I'll go in 6 months and see if they've fixed it, obvious defect, even if it is a small one.

myrtlebee
Jul 23, 2011, 02:21 PM

You either didn't read my response to you, or totally ignored it, but, like I said, this has nothing to do with a faulty panel. This is the way they are and is alleviated somewhat depending on viewing angle. This is about assembly and design. Same thing for the iPad 2 and its "bleeding" screen. Thank God this is nowhere near the annoyance of a bleeding iPad 2. You wasted your time with the returns- I tried to tell you...

I wonder if this will ever be fixed...

Oh well, I'll get used to it I guess, maybe I'll go in 6 months and see if they've fixed it, obvious defect, even if it is a small one.

It's been like this since the new Air debuted last year - this isn't a 2011 problem. I doubt there will be a "fix".

Azathoth
Jul 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
Update: it's a TN panel. They all suck. 99% of all laptop screens suck.

ritmomundo
Jul 23, 2011, 02:32 PM
My 2010 Air is like this too. A few months ago, I read something about the lighting gradients due to the thinness of the screen, or something of that nature. Everyone's 11" Air had the same issue. Anyway, don't worry about it, its perfectly normal.

Mandrax
Jul 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
i bought the new Mb Air 13" i5 this week and i noticed a really big lightness difference between the top and bottom of the screen.

The top is darker than the bottom. There is like a gradient effect ! Very bad for a web designer like me !!!

My november 2010 macbook air 11" doesn't have this issue.

I bring the MB air back today to the Apple store but the new one presents the same gradient problem.

I think this problem doesn't touch every new MbAir, i think there is a bad serie.

myrtlebee
Jul 24, 2011, 12:28 PM
i bought the new Mb Air 13" i5 this week and i noticed a really big lightness difference between the top and bottom of the screen.

The top is darker than the bottom. There is like a gradient effect ! Very bad for a web designer like me !!!

My november 2010 macbook air 11" doesn't have this issue.

I bring the MB air back today to the Apple store but the new one presents the same gradient problem.

I think this problem doesn't touch every new MbAir, i think there is a bad serie.

I'm not sure this is the same gradient effect we are talking about- if you look at the OP's original post, you will see that it is only evident at the very bottom (on lighter color/ white fullscreen pages especially) as a grayish cast. It effects about a half-inch area max, not the entire half of the screen. This is how mine is also. Could you post an image of your issue so we can compare? Your issue sounds a lot worse than ours and yours could possibly be actual faulty panels.

Samsumac
Jul 24, 2011, 01:24 PM
Have you tied calibrating your panels guys and gals? It would be interesting to hear back your conclusions if there is any perceived change after calibrating.

PaulWog
Jul 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
Have you tied calibrating your panels guys and gals? It would be interesting to hear back your conclusions if there is any perceived change after calibrating.

Yeh there's no way to calibrate unevenness out really.

That said, it looks fine to me. I see the problem... but it's not much of a problem.

Divers
Jul 24, 2011, 01:47 PM
Is there anyway to find out the display and drive manufacturer without opening up the box and booting up?

myrtlebee
Jul 24, 2011, 02:26 PM

It has nothing to do with calibration, unfortunately (I wish it was!), it's definitely something that is based on assembly and design.

h00ligan
Jul 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
I'm hardware calibrated.

Acronyc
Jul 24, 2011, 08:16 PM
My 2010 11Ē has the exact same gradient effect (made a post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196267&highlight=dark+edges) about it the other day), though I didnít notice it until I upgraded to Lion and started using the full screen apps. I decided to stop by the local Apple store and checked out two 11Ē models and both of them exhibited the same thing. As others mentioned, Iím guessing itís just the way the screen is designed and manufactured, and that there are more MBAs with this problem than without. While Iíd like a perfect panel, overall itís not a big deal and itís a much better screen than my last notebook (Iím looking at you, Alienware M11x).

-AbbeyRoad-
Jul 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
My 2010 11Ē has the exact same gradient effect (made a post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196267&highlight=dark+edges) about it the other day), though I didnít notice it until I upgraded to Lion and started using the full screen apps. I decided to stop by the local Apple store and checked out two 11Ē models and both of them exhibited the same thing. As others mentioned, Iím guessing itís just the way the screen is designed and manufactured, and that there are more MBAs with this problem than without. While Iíd like a perfect panel, overall itís not a big deal and itís a much better screen than my last notebook (Iím looking at you, Alienware M11x).

Given the fact that 2010 Macbook Air's are having the same issue since upgrading to Lion, I'm going to assume that the issue is software, not hardware related. I'm believe that the same displays were used on 2010 and 2011 models. So I don't believe it's an issue with the display. The problem affects both 2010 and 2011 models, as shown above, so I'm think that the problem is related to Lion and can be fixed in future updates. What do you think?

myrtlebee
Jul 25, 2011, 01:13 PM
Given the fact that 2010 Macbook Air's are having the same issue since upgrading to Lion, I'm going to assume that the issue is software, not hardware related. I'm believe that the same displays were used on 2010 and 2011 models. So I don't believe it's an issue with the display. The problem affects both 2010 and 2011 models, as shown above, so I'm think that the problem is related to Lion and can be fixed in future updates. What do you think?

I'm starting to question if anyone reads threads before posting. Really? I said earlier that this is not software related. It was the same way in Snow Leopard. I used to have my dock hidden and my white Safari pages extend to fit the whole screen, as well as used fullscreen games with white backgrounds in Snow Leopard. It was there in Snow Leopard - it is not a Lion issue and not a software issue. It is a hardware "issue" (a slight one at that) and has nothing to do with faulty display panels - it is about design and assembly. Is this clear enough now?

Neil McRae
Jul 25, 2011, 03:37 PM
yup my 2010 11 has this under SL and Lion.

CapnJackGig
Jul 25, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'm starting to question if anyone reads threads before posting. Really? I said earlier that this is not software related. It was the same way in Snow Leopard. I used to have my dock hidden and my white Safari pages extend to fit the whole screen, as well as used fullscreen games with white backgrounds in Snow Leopard. It was there in Snow Leopard - it is not a Lion issue and not a software issue. It is a hardware "issue" (a slight one at that) and has nothing to do with faulty display panels - it is about design and assembly. Is this clear enough now?

I've owned a 2010 since launch and have never seen this. What level of brightness do you view it under?

myrtlebee
Jul 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
I've owned a 2010 since launch and have never seen this. What level of brightness do you view it under?

Have you used fullscreen apps with white backgrounds? That's when it's visible. Granted, mine is very slight, so there may be different levels of intensity with this, but it's definitely noticeable when looking down there. Mine is most visible in the bottom corners and with brightness halfway. This has to be an issue of assembly because I can assure people that I do not have a faulty display panel. It is worse and better depending on various viewing angles.

If I had to guess, this is because of varying pressure on the edges of the panel by the tight, compact assembly of the bezel and top case. I believe this is the same problem of assembly that some (or most) iPad 2s are experiencing, but this is to a much lesser degree.

CapnJackGig
Jul 25, 2011, 05:41 PM
I brought up Safari full screen and am trying to see it, but I can't. Trust me, I look for it ever since I had bad experiences with iMac screens. It wouldnt surprise me that build quality may be an issue on some and not on others.

reclusive46
Jul 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
I've noticed this on all the sides of 2 MacBook Airs

Acronyc
Jul 25, 2011, 08:18 PM
I’ve now stopped at two Apple stores in Tokyo and every single 11” and 13” MBA that I saw (around 8 in total) exhibited this problem. I’m pretty sure it’s hardware related and that many, like me, didn’t notice it before the full screen apps in Lion. From my brief, unscientific observations, it seems that most have this problem and if you don’t you got lucky. While it’s disappointing, it’s really not that bad (though one may be worse than another) and only noticeable on light colored backgrounds. Everything else on this little computer is so fantastic that personally I can forgive a relatively minor design flaw. I’ve decided I’m not going to spend my energy worrying about it and will just continue to enjoy my MBA!

NicktheNorse
Jul 26, 2011, 01:25 AM
We go through this every time there is a refresh of any notebook model - Apple is a large company that wants to save as much money as possible and as a result, the LCD panels and backlight design they use are cheap.

Roman2K~
Jul 26, 2011, 02:56 AM
I received my base 13" yesterday (Samsung display). Before reading this thread, I had used the MBA for a couple hours and hadn't noticed the "bottom gradient".

After reading the thread, I noticed it right away. It doesn't bother me in the least though. Would it have been at the top, it would have been annoying because there's the menu bar, but at the bottom it's OK. Almost like it actually.

It's not a Lion issue since even while booting, at the gray screen, the gradient is already there.

I still have my late 2010 13" (Samsung display too) and compared it with the mid 2011. To my surprise, the 2010 has this gradient as well! Never noticed it the whole time I've had it.

I took pictures of both side by side. Same brightness level (5 bars), but the 2010 was plugged while the 2011 was on battery. 2010 on the left, 2011 on the right:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/8228/2010f2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/2010f2.jpg/) http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3553/2011f2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/2011f2.jpg/)

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4089/2010s2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/2010s2.jpg/) http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/7803/2011s2.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/2011s2.jpg/)

Davieis
Jul 26, 2011, 02:57 AM
At least it isn't yellow tinge.

iExpensive
Jul 26, 2011, 03:23 AM
This has been a known issue since the 2010 refresh...
Why I'm Returning My 13" Macboook Air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy9tJJuExr0)

Roman2K~
Jul 26, 2011, 03:28 AM
This has been a known issue since the 2010 refresh...
Why I'm Returning My 13" Macboook Air (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy9tJJuExr0)

Erik Lanigan was talking about a different issue: the vertical viewing angle. This thread is about the shadow-like gradient at the very bottom of the display.

douggnz
Jul 26, 2011, 04:18 AM
I don't see it? Also this guy in another thread posted two Airs side by side with white screens and I dont see anything? Am I just not that fussy or is really only slightly visible?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6683949/sidebyside.jpg

From this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1197503

Roman2K~
Jul 26, 2011, 04:32 AM
I don't see it? Also this guy in another thread posted two Airs side by side with white screens and I dont see anything? Am I just not that fussy or is really only slightly visible?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6683949/sidebyside.jpg

From this thread - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1197503

I can't see it on the picture you linked to, but I can see it on my 2010 and 2011 MBAs (4 posts above). Can't you?

melchiorsen
Jul 26, 2011, 03:20 PM

Image (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/img0973zs.jpg/)

I have the same problem on my MBA 2011 11". At first I thought it was related to viewing angle but it is not the case. When brightness are at half or lower it is really obvious. In the lower corners of the screen the background lighting show black areas. It is also present at all the way across the lower end of the screen.

nooaah
Jul 26, 2011, 03:31 PM
Mine is there but BARELY noticeable. I have to get about 10" from the screen to see it, and it extends by about .5" from the bottom. Sounds like a manufacturing issue, like others have mentioned.

ishopukisfake
Jul 26, 2011, 04:13 PM
I have a 2010 macbook air and the screen was good, but I scratched it by accident. Well done to apple they replaced the screen for free, but the new one has smokey effect along the bottom also, but patchy.
I am willing to live with it as it is not terrible and much better than a scratched screen.

My experience with apple is poor displays in laptops.

The first macbook air I got in 2010 I sent back due to the thin white lines issue across the screen.

A macbook pro screen I have in 2009 also has the tiny white horizontal lines across the screen also, creating a card like effect close up.

Looks like lots of faults and issues with apple screens, probably due to pumping out such a high volume of products.

Interesting to see this smokey "gradient" issue is common with the 2011 airs, I must have got one of the screens from a 2011 replaced on my 2010 - it is bearable and I am please as it was replaced for free, but they should improve screen quality at apple.

radiohead14
Jul 29, 2011, 01:22 AM
i really don't see this gradient effect some have been mentioning. another thread mentioned that it's real noticeable when you have safari on full screen. i have safari on full screen 90% of the time. i have the samsung panel, and i've also calibrated if that makes any difference.

rchip
Jul 30, 2011, 08:56 AM
hello! I've just come back from the apple store in Liverpool and came confirm that the three 13 inch mba's and the three 11 inch mba's on display all had this issue! My 13 inch i5 inch has it, I'm actually on my second mba the first one i had exhibited a problem with the speakers producing a metallic sound! That mba also had the gradient problem. So in total i've seen 8 mba screens that have all had the same issue, so if it's not on every single machine, it's certainly very common!

I don't really find the issue too bothersome, I do however have apple care on this machine. Say for example in 6 months time the issue is resolved and every display is gradient free, would i be entitled to get my machine changed to one without the screen gradient?

eba
Jul 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
Nothing here either.

mgipe
Jul 30, 2011, 12:44 PM
This looks like uneven backlighting. It's hard to diffuse the backlight perfectly, and the design gets especially difficult as the top gets thinner and the space above the hinge gets smaller.

macsimile
Jul 31, 2011, 04:21 AM
To me this is a little too much, do you think Apple will accept a return?

lyrrad721
Jul 31, 2011, 04:32 AM
^Whoa! That just looks bad, if I were you I would return it :(.
I am not experiencing this at all with my 13'' MBA i5, LG screen.

superego
Jul 31, 2011, 08:32 AM

Bottom left of the screen looks abysmal. Return it, and don't take no for an answer.

squaremon
Aug 7, 2011, 05:19 AM
does this look gradient? tried many color profile cal but still there, kinda bothers me :confused:

superego
Aug 7, 2011, 08:40 AM
does this look gradient? tried many color profile cal but still there, kinda bothers me :confused:

The bottom looks like it and the sides slightly as well. Calibration doesn't affect that kind of an issue. It looks like it's either a backlight or an assembly problem.

If it bothers you, ask if it can be fixed or exchanged. Of course the problem could to be that it's such a common problem that exchanging doesn't really change things much. But if everyone lets this slide, because it's a "feature" (it's not, a display should be evenly illuminated), Apple will never do anything about it, because they don't have to. If enough people make returns because of this issue, they are forced to pay attention to it.

squaremon
Aug 7, 2011, 12:37 PM
If it bothers you, ask if it can be fixed or exchanged.

i guess i'll try my luck calling them tomorrow. I ordered it online. unlike in us, there aren't any apple stores here in hong kong where i can go in and exchange bcuz they r all resellers, so the policy are a bit different. if they don't let me exchange, i guess ill just have to get use to it =/

radiohead14
Aug 7, 2011, 02:47 PM

is that how it looks like at full brightness also? and is that what the others are calling the gradient issue? i def don't see that on my screen (samsung).

misterneums
Aug 7, 2011, 03:23 PM
Mine barely has it at all. (Samsung display)

myrtlebee
Aug 7, 2011, 07:55 PM

is that how it looks like at full brightness also? and is that what the others are calling the gradient issue? i def don't see that on my screen (samsung).

Okay, that pinch is not what we are talking about- that's not the common "gradient" - that's totally unacceptable and you should return it and there should be no questions asked at the Apple Store.

squaremon
Aug 8, 2011, 01:37 AM

That's like 4 blocks from full brightness.

I called them up and they say I can exchange, but I'll have to wait bout a week or more since I ordered it online and there aren't any local apple store. I'm still thinking bout that cuz air is the only computer ATM, i manage to sold my 2010 mbp at a fair price. Also the fact that there's no guarantee the next one wont have that issue. They said they'll contact the factory and call me back tomorrow

law0915
Aug 8, 2011, 02:05 AM

That does look bad. I would return.

tsdeng
Aug 8, 2011, 09:40 AM
Sadly, I have exactly the same problem on my MBA 11inch 2011 version with samsung display and samsung SSD.

Actually the one I am using right now is what I got for replacement of a previous one which had key board issue....

My point is: it's really annoying and it seems to be more common and obvious on 11 inch MBA than 13 inch. I came to Apple Store and saw gradient on other 11 inch MBAs. I am not sure if there is a difference on severity of this problem, but when I view safari in full screen mode, and some text is on the bottom of the screen, the dark bottom is quite obvious and annoying..........

I am a student and I paid nearly 1200$ for my MBA11, the quality of the display really disappoints me....

On the other hand, I will do much coding work in daily use. Also I will need to take it with me all the time. So I care much about its performance and rigidness. From my current experience, it's perfect on those aspects.

All in all, it's a ultraportable workstation, just use it and take as much as you can from it. Performance is good, display sucks. It's an "OK" investment.

tsdeng
Aug 8, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hope to see more follow-ups on this problem...Since my MBA is still in its 14 days period................

Roman2K~
Aug 8, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hope to see more follow-ups on this problem...Since my MBA is still in its 14 days period................

My 2011 13" MBA (Samsung display) has the gradient at the bottom but I don't never notice it unless I pay close attention, so I don't mind. However, I had a 2011 11" MBA (Samsung display as well) at one point and the situation was way worse. It had grandients on all four edges but the they were as thick as on the 13", so they were much more noticeable.

jclardy
Aug 8, 2011, 09:59 AM
Mine has it (11", LG display) I don't really notice it unless there is something bright at the bottom of the screen (Like this forum in fullscreen mode).

If I lean the display back a little bit farther it goes away. Basically if I am looking down on the screen I can see it, but if the screen is parallel to my eyes it is not there.

tsdeng
Aug 8, 2011, 10:12 AM
Mine has it (11", LG display) I don't really notice it unless there is something bright at the bottom of the screen (Like this forum in fullscreen mode).

If I lean the display back a little bit farther it goes away. Basically if I am looking down on the screen I can see it, but if the screen is parallel to my eyes it is not there.

Since I use full screen browsing quite often, it bothers me when I do it...

h00ligan
Aug 8, 2011, 12:07 PM
I actually notice it less on the LG display.. fwiw.

mixman
Aug 8, 2011, 12:12 PM
Saw this same gradient issue on the 13" Samsung-panel at the store. Doesn't bother me. I only pay attention to it when working with text documents that flow to the bottom of the screen.

morpheuz
Aug 14, 2011, 03:12 PM
I've been in two Apple Stores and checked almost all Macbook Airs on display, and they have ALL got this backlight issue, some more, some less. It looks like a wavy strip at the bottom of the screen and it's more visible, if you use Lion's spaces gesture (four finger swipe). Then you can even see, that the whole screen is subject to uneven backlight distribution (it looks like a cloudy layer in front of the screen).

Napolke
Aug 14, 2011, 05:35 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1211575

Napolke
Aug 14, 2011, 09:37 PM
I did exchange mine 13" today and new one is much much much better, almost
perfect.

Roman2K~
Aug 15, 2011, 05:21 AM
perfect.

Do you mean no more gradient at the bottom at all?

Napolke
Aug 15, 2011, 05:30 AM
Do you mean no more gradient at the bottom at all?

Yes

jackyyeow
Aug 17, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hope you guys can help me to check if this is normal:

After a month of using this machine, I started to notice 2 yellowish patches at the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if it's the gradient effect discussed in this thread, they're faint but still noticeable patches when I'm on light color pages like MR forum or displaying fullscreen solid white images.

I've had an anti-glare screen protector applied, not sure if it's the screen protector or the problem with the display itself. Anyone of you experienced yellow tint patches on your display?

Or if you have had any experiences on screen protector giving false alarms that there's a problem with the display? The AG screen protector is kinda like a no name brand though it did a good job on AG with little grainy effect on the display (not like cheaply made AG screen protector.

mikethebigo
Aug 17, 2011, 11:03 PM
Does anyone notice specific darkening in a certain part of the screen? My 13" Samsung has a dark patch coming right up the middle bottom of the screen (right over the "ook" in MacBook Air). It's really quite distracting, it goes about an inch up and makes everything in that area a different color. It's almost like the led backlights on both sides are pointing diagonally away from the middle of the screen.

vitzr
Aug 17, 2011, 11:15 PM
Very true. It's a reflection of Apples decline in quality.

I've been lucky, both the 11" & 13" MBA's I have are fine. Yet several people at work have the problem with theirs. I've looked at them and it really is quite noticeable. One can only surmise that Apple has a very wide range of what's acceptable & what's not.

One of my friends took his in to the genius, we used mine to do a side by side comparison in the store. The genius called his "within specs" even though next to mine it's dreadful. Even worse, I'm the one who suggested he buy an MBA when he asked for advice.

Oh well, I didn't build the bloody thing.

mikethebigo
Aug 17, 2011, 11:31 PM
Pic to illustrate what I was describing above:

h00ligan
Aug 17, 2011, 11:36 PM
Are you talking about upper right?

jackyyeow
Aug 17, 2011, 11:47 PM
Does anyone notice specific darkening in a certain part of the screen? My 13" Samsung has a dark patch coming right up the middle bottom of the screen (right over the "ook" in MacBook Air). It's really quite distracting, it goes about an inch up and makes everything in that area a different color. It's almost like the led backlights on both sides are pointing diagonally away from the middle of the screen.Pic to illustrate what I was describing above:
EXACTLY the same thing I was asking about. That small mountain, and another patch on the right of that (I think left side also a display a little of similar patch).

However your picture does look worse than mine when seeing it in real life, it does make everything within that area a little darker/duller/yellow'ish, but it's quite faint not like what exaggerated in your picture, though.

I'd also like to point out that, this phenomenon does not seems to show up clearly all the time, sometimes when I boot up I can see very clearly, even after I enter the OS, and open up safari and browsing MR. However, as of now, I can't really see it as it's quite faint but it is there if looked closely, after shut down the machine and switch it on again after I was away for a while.

I think it's some sort of the inherit problem of the panels. Guess we'll have to wait for Apple to stick in IPS panels instead (they can make iPad 2 so thin with IPS, SURE they can make it on the MBA?).

Are you talking about upper right?
No, pay attention to the dark patch like a mini mountain at the center of the bottom most part.

Brandon0448
Aug 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
My 13" has the same thing, it doesn't bother me at all really though. If you turn up the brightness it goes away.

jackyyeow
Aug 18, 2011, 12:08 AM
My 13" has the same thing, it doesn't bother me at all really though. If you turn up the brightness it goes away.

No it does not, even when I'm on like 70% of brightness, it's still there, although it's getting less and less when brightness is turning up.

It's not a problem I'd say for what I do, but whenever I browse MR or websites with similar color scheme I can see it. Not a problem with my old PC laptop that's more than 4 years old though albeit the color and contrast is nowhere near the MBA. The display of MBA is otherwise beautiful and flawless without those gradients and patches. We can't have the best of both world can't we? When Apple's going to implement IPS screen as an upgrade option?:confused:

jsolares
Aug 18, 2011, 12:15 AM
No it does not, even when I'm on like 70% of brightness, it's still there, although it's getting less and less when brightness is turning up.

It's not a problem I'd say for what I do, but whenever I browse MR or websites with similar color scheme I can see it. Not a problem with my old PC laptop that's more than 4 years old though albeit the color and contrast is nowhere near the MBA. The display of MBA is otherwise beautiful and flawless without those gradients and patches. We can't have the best of both world can't we? When Apple's going to implement IPS screen as an upgrade option?:confused:

You should take it in, mine has some gradient but it's like a wave on the bottom 4-5 pixels, it's only really noticeable full screen with a white background.

jackyyeow
Aug 18, 2011, 12:26 AM
You should take it in, mine has some gradient but it's like a wave on the bottom 4-5 pixels, it's only really noticeable full screen with a white background.
Well from where I live we don't enjoy the same 14 days return period like like US/EU countries, moreover I'm way pass the 14 days of owning the machine. I doubt they'll do anything though since it's not that obvious, I don't think people in the service department will ever notice it with their usual strong indoor lighting where the backlight most probably needed to turn way up.

I'll wait and see if any other user reporting this problem, I'll just bite and use it and if it ever get worse I'll send it in for a display replacement instead.

ihji
Aug 18, 2011, 12:30 AM
Mine also has this problem. MBA 13 inches from Apple online store, two days old. I've decided to return it. By the way, I've stopped by Apple store during launch hour and found out every single MBA displayed there also has same gradient problem. Really disappointed. Maybe I should wait late 2011 MBP refresh.

Napolke
Aug 18, 2011, 12:50 AM
perfect.

I am taking this back.
I think all 13"s have a huge screen problem, it's just leaking at the bottom!
You could see it sometimes on a white background with particular light, but
the ultimate test is black background in the dark room.

I'll try to exchange mine second time tomorrow, but I predict it would have the same problem.

If it is, Apple no more.

superego
Aug 18, 2011, 05:42 AM

The middle bottom of the screen is unevenly illuminated. There's also a noticeable gradient effect. I would take it back.

honggil
Aug 18, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure of the answer, but if someone can answer that'd be awesome! :)

Do the returned macbook airs definitely become 'refurbished' products once they're back in the market? Or are they sold as 'new' again after tweaking it?

I'm wondering because the 2011 macbook airs seem to have a lot of returns lately lol...

KPOM
Aug 18, 2011, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure of the answer, but if someone can answer that'd be awesome! :)

Do the returned macbook airs definitely become 'refurbished' products once they're back in the market? Or are they sold as 'new' again after tweaking it?

I'm wondering because the 2011 macbook airs seem to have a lot of returns lately lol...

I think they are resold as refurbished unless the shrink wrap is still sealed. It is possible some resellers would sell them as open box. I wouldn't be too concerned about returns. Most buyers aren't going to return them based on the brand of SSD or LCD screen (if they even know how to check that). There were a fair number of 2010 returns reported here, but I doubt it was anything unusual as far as Macs go.

That said, if you are looking to purchase a refurbished unit when they come out, you should be able to find one. The 2010 refurbished units started coming out the day after Christmas (or about 2 months after the product was released). That would suggest late September or October availability. I'd guess October if there is an iPhone update in September. After October, the holiday season kicks off, and that's better for new product sales than refurbished units.

honggil
Aug 18, 2011, 08:24 AM
I think they are resold as refurbished unless the shrink wrap is still sealed. It is possible some resellers would sell them as open box. I wouldn't be too concerned about returns. Most buyers aren't going to return them based on the brand of SSD or LCD screen (if they even know how to check that). There were a fair number of 2010 returns reported here, but I doubt it was anything unusual as far as Macs go.

That said, if you are looking to purchase a refurbished unit when they come out, you should be able to find one. The 2010 refurbished units started coming out the day after Christmas (or about 2 months after the product was released). That would suggest late September or October availability. I'd guess October if there is an iPhone update in September. After October, the holiday season kicks off, and that's better for new product sales than refurbished units.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not looking into getting a refurbished unit, I was just curious :) In my opinion and from what I've seen, refurbished units don't really knock down prices by that much. That being said, there is market pool for refurbished units.

Raptura
Aug 18, 2011, 08:49 AM
What gradient? I mean, damn people, you guys are picky.

jackyyeow
Aug 18, 2011, 08:54 AM
What gradient? I mean, damn people, you guys are picky.

Wait until you get yours.;)

jackyyeow
Aug 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
I am taking this back.
I think all 13"s have a huge screen problem, it's just leaking at the bottom!
There isn't any problem with the backlight leaking on my unit. Viewing black image full screen doesn't show any leakage even on full brightness. I think there seems to have no single panel that's flawless. Even iMac's IPS display also suffer from yellow tint issues.

Funny that I never had these kind os nitpicking problem when I was still on PC laptops.:D

Nioxic
Aug 18, 2011, 09:08 AM
I see the gradient effect when i go fullscreen with my browser etc. But i dont seem to be able to notice it on the dock when just running stuff normally..

neither have i noticed it in starcraft 2.

I think its intentional... (doesn't look bad, honestly.. looks so precise that it can only seem like a design decision ... not that its a good one. But i dont mind. Who looks at the bottom few pixels anyways?

ihji
Aug 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
I see the gradient effect when i go fullscreen with my browser etc. But i dont seem to be able to notice it on the dock when just running stuff normally..

neither have i noticed it in starcraft 2.

I think its intentional... (doesn't look bad, honestly.. looks so precise that it can only seem like a design decision ... not that its a good one. But i dont mind. Who looks at the bottom few pixels anyways?

No it is NEVER be intentional. It's rather a manufacturing flaw and I suspect that new film-type screen design causes this problem (panel and LED backlight are separated by layers of very thin films)

refer here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/inside-the-new-macbook-airs-screen/8523

tsdeng
Aug 18, 2011, 07:52 PM
Guys! Let's face the truth. To mass produce screens so thin like that, it requires much more techniques to make it GOOD. Even a very small flaw will be amplified.

Apparently, Apple can create a notebook so thin and so eye-catching. But they are not capable of mass production and ensuring the quality at the same time.

I have returned several MBAs including 11 and 13, some are better and some are worse. I am settled with my current 13 inch MBA. It still has the problem which we discussed. But among the ones I used, the screen of this one is neither the best nor the worst. So.........I don't want to talking to those stupid geniuses anymore. But if it's getting worse, I would definitely fight for my inerest :mad:

Let more people know about the issue before purchasing, hoping apple could find a way to ensure their display in the future..................

iRun26.2
Aug 18, 2011, 10:11 PM

This person's signature has a link to the following...

http://funny.picturepie.com/images/arguing_internet_retarded.jpg

This is not funny and it is an insult to anyone who ever visits Macrumor's forums! Luckily you weren't born that way...but you have a bigger problem.

mikethebigo
Aug 18, 2011, 10:24 PM

This is not funny and it is an insult to anyone who ever visits Macrumor's forums! Luckily you weren't born that way...but you have a bigger problem.

Tell me it's not true!

DarwinOSX
Aug 18, 2011, 10:30 PM
Internet forum trolls.

misterneums
Aug 18, 2011, 10:33 PM

Moral Police on the run! Wasn't this thread about screen issues?

mikethebigo
Aug 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
Just an update, I returned the model with the screen I posted. They looked at it for 5 seconds, then the genius turned to the other one and just said "it has the dark spot issue." They gave me a new one, which upon turning on turned out to have some kind of bright white line coming out of the lower left corner of the display. So, we did another exchange. The Apple Store employee was cool and understanding, saying "I'd want mine to be perfect too."

Third time was the charm, no significant light bleed or darkness. Although it shows poor QC, this is why I continue to buy Apple, the excellent customer service.

And for anyone interested, I have the 13" ultimate, and all three units I received had the Samsung SSD and Samsung screen.

misterneums
Aug 20, 2011, 12:14 AM
Just an update, I returned the model with the screen I posted. They looked at it for 5 seconds, then the genius turned to the other one and just said "it has the dark spot issue." They gave me a new one, which upon turning on turned out to have some kind of bright white line coming out of the lower left corner of the display. So, we did another exchange. The Apple Store employee was cool and understanding, saying "I'd want mine to be perfect too."

Third time was the charm, no significant light bleed or darkness. Although it shows poor QC, this is why I continue to buy Apple, the excellent customer service.

And for anyone interested, I have the 13" ultimate, and all three units I received had the Samsung SSD and Samsung screen.

Go buy a lotto ticket!

AppleTech22
Aug 20, 2011, 12:26 AM
I seriously don't understand why everyone is having problems, mine is fine. Other than the hour long wait to make a 3 minute purchase, my Air experience has been wonderful.

Curren~Sea
Aug 20, 2011, 12:58 AM
I had this to a small degree, i.e. dark splotches along the bottom of my MBA 13 screen. The shapes were similar to shadowy flames. Apple sent me a new MBA 13, no questions asked. The new screen is much better. They are both the Samsung panels.

richpjr
Aug 20, 2011, 01:20 AM
I never noticed it all on my screen until reading this thread. Sure enough, if I look real hard I can see a very faint gradient. I guess I am lucky - very faint gradient, got a Samsung screen and Samsung SSD! So far, no complaints at all with this thing!

Nioxic
Aug 20, 2011, 03:05 AM
http://i.imgur.com/T7a5Y.jpg (http://imgur.com/T7a5Y)

Heres mine..

taken from the 11.6 Inch 2011 MBA with an LG phillips screen...

no difference in brightness levels either

i can't see any gradient effect.. this is in safari showing this thread btw. :) (picture taken with my iphone)

erasr
Aug 20, 2011, 05:09 AM
Yeah I saw this in the Apple Store yesterday on about 3 different 13" models.

It looks like something put in on purpose. It's barely noticeable and if I'd not read it here first I definitely wouldn't see it.

I was actually meant to buy one but that's a different matter. Last minute change of mind, the extra £250 for the memory I'll need is too much!

IngerMan
Aug 20, 2011, 08:47 AM
I stopped in the apple store yesterday to see if I could get some information about iDisk and Lion.

I am familiar with this issue going back to my 2010 MBA.

I looked at 8 panels on one table, 6 11" and 2 13" . I checked all the panel types and it was a 60% LP 40% LT split. I even broke out my 11" LP and placed it beside one.

Conclusion; They all have that very narrow gray band at the bottom. The same as the 2010's did.

A few machines I have seen posted show it going into the upper 10% of the bottom panel and that is a defect.

Most will have a light 3mm of grey, varying in depth, not visible at all times and mostly noticeable in white background.

ihji
Aug 22, 2011, 11:04 AM
Today I finally returned my MBA due to this gradient issue. BTW I found a colleague in my workplace who owns MBA 11". I've checked it and it also has a faint gradient at the bottom of the display. But he said he can bare it. Anyway I'm going to buy MBP 15" base model tomorrow.

hystery
Aug 22, 2011, 10:42 PM
Does anybody have one without this gradient at all actually?

h00ligan
Aug 22, 2011, 11:26 PM
It's a compromise. It's also not a big deal compared to the splotchy unevenly lit yellowing issues of other machines.

jackyyeow
Aug 23, 2011, 01:33 AM
splotchy unevenly lit yellowing issues of other machines.
i have this. my machine is definitely going to have the LCD changed. hope the technicians will do a great job on taking things apart and assemble it like new machine. i hate when i get my machine back with loosen parts. maybe they can fix my creaking lower case too.:o

Madlamz
Aug 5, 2012, 08:09 AM
Just exchanged my 13" 2012 MBA(LG display) for this exact reason....the replacement has a Samsung display but unfortunately the gradient effect is still there.

I noticed in the update that EVERY single MBA has this, is this also true for the 2012 models? How could apple let something as big as this become the norm? This is ridiculous!

SpoekGTi
Aug 5, 2012, 11:24 AM
Just exchanged my 13" 2012 MBA(LG display) for this exact reason....the replacement has a Samsung display but unfortunately the gradient effect is still there.

I noticed in the update that EVERY single MBA has this, is this also true for the 2012 models? How could apple let something as big as this become the norm? This is ridiculous!

Well i find it ridiculous that part of this conversation is getting out of hand over a non-issue about panels being faulty....they are not, it's the same as the storm in a glass of water on nooooo my panel is a LG one i'm gonna return it.

I have a LG panel in my 2012 model and since i don't have any comparisation i really don't care, i work in a computer store which also sells monitors yes i can compare there but i'm not gonna buy 2 monitors i'm just buying one and that's the one i look at.

And if you really get picky, be my guest buy from 1 manufacturer 2 exactly the same screens hook them up next to each other, i will bet my right arm you will still see differences.

And the same goes for Toshiba versus Samsung SSD's these differences are well within QC standards by Apple.

But to respond just a tad on topic, i've just booted my VM Windows 7 on my MBA which has the same issue when in fullscreen Safari and on my Win7 installation the problem is not there, so apparently it's a OS specific feature and let's be honest you read on the top of the screen not the last 2mm on the bottom of the screen now are you, and if you do please seek help :P

Madlamz
Aug 5, 2012, 02:15 PM
Well i find it ridiculous that part of this conversation is getting out of hand over a non-issue about panels being faulty....they are not, it's the same as the storm in a glass of water on nooooo my panel is a LG one i'm gonna return it.

I have a LG panel in my 2012 model and since i don't have any comparisation i really don't care, i work in a computer store which also sells monitors yes i can compare there but i'm not gonna buy 2 monitors i'm just buying one and that's the one i look at.

And if you really get picky, be my guest buy from 1 manufacturer 2 exactly the same screens hook them up next to each other, i will bet my right arm you will still see differences.

And the same goes for Toshiba versus Samsung SSD's these differences are well within QC standards by Apple.

But to respond just a tad on topic, i've just booted my VM Windows 7 on my MBA which has the same issue when in fullscreen Safari and on my Win7 installation the problem is not there, so apparently it's a OS specific feature and let's be honest you read on the top of the screen not the last 2mm on the bottom of the screen now are you, and if you do please seek help :P

I don't understand people like you...If you're spending $1000-$2000 of your hard earned money on a product why wouldn't you want it to perform as best as possible?

You're right in that i do read at the top/middle of the screen but when you have a site with a white background open its quite distracting, especially since i hide my dock.

SpoekGTi
Aug 5, 2012, 03:48 PM
I don't understand people like you...If you're spending $1000-$2000 of your hard earned money on a product why wouldn't you want it to perform as best as possible?

You're right in that i do read at the top/middle of the screen but when you have a site with a white background open its quite distracting, especially since i hide my dock.

Yeh i understand your point also, but its not a defect in the notebook or screen, cause in my VM i dont have the problem, i do have it in safari and other fullscreen apps, i dont even have it when my MBA boots (apple logo screen)

clurdaneta
Aug 6, 2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Looking around for people with the same issue. I'm just returning mine for the exact problem, also for some dark spots saw at the bottom of my screen.

I really disappointed with the screen quality when I'm paying a premium price. I do love the laptop but this is really annoying.

Also realized that I've got Sharp screen and Toshiba SSD. So the worst of both worlds.

Maybe will try to get a replacement. I ordered online: is it possible to get a replacement from the store?

Have anyone find out whether this is a OS or Hardware issue? Same as above, cannot believe this is acceptable in this price category.

ok.Eric
Jul 9, 2013, 03:08 PM
I just got the new 2013 model Air and it has this gradient issue at the bottom too, very slight.. but it's there.

I'm going to the genius bar later to see what happens.

I checked and it looks like I have the LG display, for what it's worth.

Saturn1217
Jul 9, 2013, 05:21 PM
I just got the new 2013 model Air and it has this gradient issue at the bottom too, very slight.. but it's there.

I'm going to the genius bar later to see what happens.

I checked and it looks like I have the LG display, for what it's worth.

I have this exact issue on my 2012 MBA. I kind of suspect it might be there (to a greater or lesser extent) on all of them. For what it is worth I've gotten used to it and rarely think about it now. But it definitely wasn't present on my 2009 13" MBP.

ValSalva
Jul 9, 2013, 06:36 PM
Isn't this gradient simply back light leak? I suppose this is the price of such a thin display that one can almost see through.

I've noticed all the 11" MBA's in the Apple store also have dark patches at each lower corner. These are visible when taking a web site with a white background, like this one, into full screen mode.

I'm hoping this 'extra problem' is due to the new model and will not be present in a few months.

The trouble for some of us, me definitely included, is once you see the defect you can't stop taking your eyes off of it :eek:

ok.Eric
Jul 9, 2013, 08:39 PM
Alright, I just got back from the store. This is just something that the Airs have with them. All of the ones at the store had the same gradient effect and the genius hadn't even noticed it before since it's so subtle I assume.

It's not a deal breaker for me, it's hardly noticeable and since it's even across the entire bottom, it doesn't look bad (it almost looks like an intended effect Apple put on it, but I doubt that's true in this case).

EDIT: I'm afraid after using it for more hours the past day, I'm going to most likely return it. No matter what, I keep noticing the gradient at the bottom and it's irritating me. I think I'll probably return it and wait for the MBP refresh that will hopefully be real soon and just go that route.

I really like the Air, it's sweet, but that display :(