PDA

View Full Version : Lion license on new Mini, can I also use on my iMac?

swanny007
Jul 22, 2011, 08:43 PM
Here's the deal, I have a late 2009 iMac running SL, and just ordered a new Mini with Lion. Does that mean that since I now own one copy of Lion that I can somehow install Lion on my iMac? I'm under the impression that a Lion license is good for all Macs that you own.

Thx.

balamw
Jul 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Just because that is the license when purchased from the Mac App Store, doesn't mean that is also the license when you get Lion with a new Mac.

I'd read the license of the copy that shipped with your new one before making any assumptions.

Call Apple if you have any doubts.

EDIT: That said. The only real problem is usually that the "new Mac" installers are customized for the specific hardware.

B

swanny007
Jul 22, 2011, 10:16 PM
Do you know if the new Lion installation will have the install package somewhere on the drive?

iVeBeenDrinkin'
Jul 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
Log into the Mac app store and see if it wants to charge you for downloading Lion on your iMac.

guitargoddsjm
Jul 22, 2011, 10:25 PM
No, you will not be able to use it on your iMac.

There are two sections in the Lion license that discuss "Permitted License Uses":

Section A states that Lion on your new Mac Mini will follow the "Standard and Preinstalled Apple Software License," which allows you to use and run (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at any one time. [I listed what was relevant, emphasis added]

Section B discusses the License from Mac Store, which allows you to install it on as many computers as you own/control.

Added screenshot of license below:

http://tardis1.tinygrab.com/grabs/1342a6877128dc24942791f0542233b30c9af0f90f.jpg

Edit: I'll also add my 2cents. Because you didn't purchase it from the MAS, I don't think it will let you download it for free. It's like if you look at the MAS pages for Garageband, iPhoto, or iMovie on your new Mac. They'll probably be listed for $14.99 each, not "installed"

seong
Jul 22, 2011, 10:59 PM
If your morals say you shouldn't do anything that will go against the law or rules, I will say go and ask for a volume license. However, if that's not the case, I would give it a try on your iMac using the Mac App Store and see if it downloads in again for you.

chrfr
Jul 22, 2011, 11:46 PM
The new Mini and Air don't come with any sort of install media, so you could only clone over the Mini's disk to another machine. It almost certainly is against the terms of the license, and for $30, it's really not worth the hassle.