PDA

View Full Version : Chrome, Firefox, or Safari

Scuba629
Jul 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Which is the best browser to use with your MBA? Or which do you find works the best?

wdaleherring
Jul 22, 2011, 08:54 PM
Macs in general, but specifically Safari SUCK at handling GIF files. If you visit sites that have many of them, you'll have a hell of a time trying to scroll. My 27 Quad i5 can't even render them decently.

I vote Chrome (for now.)

MattZani
Jul 22, 2011, 08:55 PM
Safari as its the only one that properly supports Lion, once Chrome is updated with gestures etc I'm sure I'll go back.

JSalig
Jul 22, 2011, 09:52 PM
I love Chrome for Windows but I find that I prefer Safari for the MBA 11. The speed incredible. I'm also annoyed at how Chrome auto-hides the address bar and tabs in full screen mode. Until that changes and gestures is added I'm sticking with Safari.

CapnJackGig
Jul 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
I tried Safari since its supposed to be integrated better with Lion, but I found it to be sluggish, especially using the new two-finger swipes. I was getting beach-balled far too much so I just went back to Chrome and three finger swipes.

h00ligan
Jul 22, 2011, 10:05 PM
For the first time ever, I'm trying safari. I wish they kept the effing keyboard shortcuts universal.

Some command option, some command shift.. work it out apple... and give me a damn gesture to kill a tab, or make it configurable.

KnightWRX
Jul 22, 2011, 10:12 PM
Browsers are personal and seriously, "best with MBA" ? What type of question is that ? A browser is not better on some piece of hardware.

OS X's best browser right now seems to be Chrome. More up-to-date than Safari on Webkit, leaner, minimalistic GUI, the "task manager", integrated "Firebug" and other dev tools, plenty of extensions (Adblock, Flashblock). Firefox can't compete these days.

CapnJackGig
Jul 22, 2011, 10:37 PM
Just a heads-up from Google. They've already addressed the defective full screen icon on Canary. They simply removed it. You can still go full screen as you did in Leopard, but it won't be treated by Lion as a full screen app. There are no immediate plans to put out a version that supports full screen mode in Lion, but they are discussing how to best implement it. As for gestures, they recommend setting Lion to 3 finger swipes, which will also get you swipe gestures in iTunes and Finder.

MBABuyer
Jul 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
I will use Safari until chrome gets updated with gestures, better zoom in and out, etc.

MistaMacky
Jul 22, 2011, 10:50 PM
Surely a subjective question - Safari... for now.

radiohead14
Jul 22, 2011, 10:51 PM
i love chrome for its speed, but trying out Safari for now, just to see how well gestures are integrated with Lion. so far i'm loving the smoothness of them like the zooms.

kenwalton
Jul 23, 2011, 12:08 AM
I like Chrome better in general, and use it all day at work when I'm plugged in, but this latest version of Safari is pretty good on my new 13" i7.

Keep in mind that Chrome uses up more battery. If you plan to go a long time without being plugged in, use Safari.

tom vilsack
Jul 23, 2011, 01:01 AM
i would use chrome if it had a side panel for bookmarks...but i find for fastest bookmark browsing firefox and extension "autoclose" can't be beat.....

autoclose...closes folder when opening another folder

http://www.sephiroth-j.de/1/mozilla/index_en.php

CA, USA
Jul 23, 2011, 01:19 AM
i dont wanna make steve jobs disappointed about our browser - i vote safari

MTD's Mac
Jul 23, 2011, 01:25 AM
Safari, mainly because it synchs bookmarks with my iPhone. Very handy indeed.

Nameci
Jul 23, 2011, 01:28 AM
Safari handsdown.

Lonectzn
Jul 23, 2011, 03:21 AM
Chrome is just so far ahead of Safari, there's no contest. Unified search/address box, cleaner and quicker to use layout, better extension and app support, google sync (rocks). Bookmarks are for people without integrated Google Instant.

While full screen safari might look flashy in Lion, it's a waste of space even on my 13" air. On my 27" iMac, it's almost comically oversized. I'll take http://manytricks.com/moom/ and Chrome over Lion iOS mode any day.

Yggbert
Jul 23, 2011, 06:22 AM
Safari has a serious memory leak in Lion, that and the lack of extensions make me wonder why people would use it.

I use Firefox mostly because the AdBlock+ extension actually blocks video ads properly and from any website. The Chrome version doesn't.

JD92
Jul 23, 2011, 07:04 AM

Scuba629
Jul 23, 2011, 07:36 AM
Ive always used Firefox but now I guess everyone is going to Chrome. Can Chrome be tweaked with addons or anything? What makes it so popular on Mac?

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
I was wondering why I was losing 4 - 6 gigs of HD space each day, and now I know why. Safari is leaking memory like crazy. That seals the deal. Won't be using that garbage anymore.

TornadoLowLevel
Jul 23, 2011, 07:53 AM
I've just migrated to Lion from XP last night on a new MBA and love Chrome. It works brilliantly in Windows (apart from a bizarre Hotmail bug).

All my passwords were synced and the all in all, a very pleasant experience. I only used Safari to download Chrome :D.

Tootles
Jul 23, 2011, 01:33 PM
Coming from an ibook G4 running Panther, my experience is that Safari is horrible, iCab 3 is great and Firefox is generic. After getting a 2011 MBA, I still hate Safari - it won't stop accepting web cookies, even though I have it set to refuse them. Firefox is what I'm using now but, I may try Chrome or other alternatives if I find any. I can't really vote here, because it's not a poll about the people's least favorite browsers. I've always been most comfortable using a combination of browsers. Safari is the one which has been useless to me. I only used it to download Firefox with, so that I can use the web on my new MBA.

Patriot24
Jul 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
I'm a Chrome guy, but I did take some time to play around in Safari and test the new gestures. They are very cool and I can't wait for Google to bake them into Chrome. Apparently that is happening now, in case you're wondering:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/07/21/some.fixes.appearing.in.early.canary.builds/

Beaverman3001
Jul 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
Really have no reason not to use Safari as it does everything I need and provides the few extensions I enjoy having.

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2011, 04:06 PM
Really have no reason not to use Safari as it does everything I need and provides the few extensions I enjoy having.

I have a great reason not to use it. It's broken. After an hour or so of use today it's now eating 1.5 gig of mem space and growing. Ridiculous.

striker33
Jul 23, 2011, 04:10 PM
Macs in general, but specifically Safari SUCK at handling GIF files. If you visit sites that have many of them, you'll have a hell of a time trying to scroll. My 27 Quad i5 can't even render them decently.

I vote Chrome (for now.)

I got constant abuse for saying something similar in a post a few months back.

Saying that, the MR community mainly consists of 13 year old windows nerds posting from their hackintosh, so I should have expected it.

striker33
Jul 23, 2011, 04:12 PM
I have a great reason not to use it. It's broken. After an hour or so of use today it's now eating 1.5 gig of mem space and growing. Ridiculous.

That may be the case. But if you are web browsing then that means you arent doing anything productive of particularly intensive, so it doesnt really matter if the RAM is used ;)

Beaverman3001
Jul 23, 2011, 04:18 PM

I leave safari running for days at a time and never have issue with that, don't know what to tell you.

ghsNick
Jul 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
Safari as its the only one that properly supports Lion, once Chrome is updated with gestures etc I'm sure I'll go back.

This. Exactly.
I loved Chrome before Lion (iMac), but since I got my 11" Air I've loved (or have learned to love) Safari.

I HAVE to run full screen on my 11" now lol. It's too great. And Chrome has been choking since the update.

CapnJackGig
Jul 23, 2011, 05:24 PM
This. Exactly.
I loved Chrome before Lion (iMac), but since I got my 11" Air I've loved (or have learned to love) Safari.

I HAVE to run full screen on my 11" now lol. It's too great. And Chrome has been choking since the update.

Basic Chrome is broken full screen. Chrome Canary is working great for me though, and the best part is I never have to go near Safari.

Scottsdale
Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 PM
I use Safari for everything except streaming videos and such which is when I use Chrome. I used to use FireFox for everything, but now I find it's a waste as Chrome seems to have a better experience. I probably could use Chrome for everything, but I generally just like using Safari for non-Flash stuff because it seems like Apple should provide a better experience. I don't know that they do, but it seems like they should.

Oppressed
Jul 23, 2011, 10:26 PM
Personally I'm in love with the back/forward Safari animation that goes with the gestures. It reminds me of Ironman and his computers.

Also full screen is a must for 11 inch users IMO.

Dubba
Jul 24, 2011, 12:09 AM
Ive always used Firefox but now I guess everyone is going to Chrome. Can Chrome be tweaked with addons or anything? What makes it so popular on Mac?

I started of using Safari, then migrated to Firefox, and have now ended up at Chrome.

I would not have it any other way - except that my Bookmark sync doesn't seem to be working since I migrated my domain to GoogleApps.

As for synching with iPhone / iPad; I have just imported the bookmarks into Safari and sync them via that.

h00ligan
Jul 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
Installing safariomnibar makes it a much better experience. But firefox feels faster. Tue gestures are difficult to give up.

ghsNick
Jul 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
Personally I'm in love with the back/forward Safari animation that goes with the gestures. It reminds me of Ironman and his computers.

Also full screen is a must for 11 inch users IMO.

When Chrome fixes their swiping (like Safari does) I'll start using natural scrolling.

But I went back to the "normal/old" way because I too felt like Iron Man...except while using Chrome the swiping forward/backwards between pages worked the old way where you swiped in the direction you wanted to go.

So when they fix that I'll go back to being Iron Man haha.

iAAPL
Jul 24, 2011, 01:15 AM
Definitely Safari. I've never gotten into "fullscreen mode" in any browser. Safari in Lion has changed my whole web browsing habit. It's just so smooth and perfect. YES! Leave the address bar up there! It takes up just a few pixels, but is so much more convenient. Plus, I've always hated how janky the disappearing address bar in Chrome and Firefox were. Move your cursor towards the top of the webpage, and everything gets screwed up. Plus, they both leave that scroll bar on the right hand side up, which drives the OCD in me insane when on a non-white webpage. I'm sure that will be fixed soon, as the aqua scroll bars are no longer in use.

The whole page transition thing is pretty amazing too. I just love how the page moves perfectly with your fingers when you swipe.

1appleAday
Jul 24, 2011, 01:33 AM
voted for Safari: i just LOVED the forward/backward eye-candy effect!! :D

Jobsian
Jul 24, 2011, 01:38 AM
Chrome at the moment...

mrtravel123
Jul 26, 2011, 12:24 PM
OLD SAFARI:

Crashed way too much.
Wasn't as fast as Chrome.
Too many tabs = tabs "falling" off the screen vs. just getting smaller and smaller.
Didn't sandbox as well as Chrome.
Font size of bookmarks on my bar = smaller than Chrome (so I get get more on the bar).
Easy (quick) to edit bookmark names and addresses when managing them.
I can't quickly tell if a page is already bookmarked. With Firefox/Chrome I can.
I prefer staying with Apple software, but Safari was losing to Chrome.
Number of extensions available - why so few?

CURRENT CHROME:

Easily tells you (visually) that you've already bookmarked a page.
Better extensions and much more of them.
One too many steps to "edit" a bookmark address/name when managing them.
Each new tab ate up way too much memory. I often need several tabs open
Each new tab "shrunk" vs. spilling off the page like in Safari.
Seemed faster than the old Safari (unless you have several tabs open).

NEW SAFARI WITH LION:

Love the new gestures for going back and forth.
Love full screen.
Love the increased speed.
Memory problems are ridiculous after a while. 1GB for 5 tabs this morning!!!!
Font size of bookmarks on my bar = smaller than Chrome (so I get get more on the bar).
Easy (quick) to edit bookmark names and addresses when managing them.
I still can't quickly tell if a page is bookmarked when I'm on that site.
Number of extensions available are still very small.
A repeated "AdBlock" error because I don't use a "cleaner" program???
Too many tabs = tabs "falling" off the screen vs. just getting smaller and smaller.

For now, I'm a Safari user again.

But, Apple needs to address these defects and drawbacks, especially the memory issue. If they don't, I'll move back to Chrome when Chrome updates for Lion (gestures, etc). Even so, Chrome needs to address their memory problem when you have several tabs open.

Since I'm here...

Is there a quick way to tell in Safari that you've already bookmarked a page?

With Chrome and Firefox you can just glance up at the address bar and it tells you. You can even edit your bookmark via their little indicators.

poobear
Jul 26, 2011, 02:23 PM
I only have 2 GB ram, so I go with Chrome. As soon as you close a tab you free the memory that the tab was using. On the contrary, Safari keeps the memory so that after a while it uses tons of memory.

ritmomundo
Jul 26, 2011, 02:48 PM
Which browser loads/refreshes pages the fastest?

mrtravel123
Jul 26, 2011, 03:37 PM
Which browser loads/refreshes pages the fastest?

The new Safari seems to be doing well. But, after a period of time Safari starts requiring TONS of memory to run, even if you're doing something extraordinarily simple.

Yet - I find that having multiple tabs open in Chrome slows it down too.

Roman2K~
Jul 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
Chrome as the main browser (no memory leaks, excellent tabs, clean built-in Flash).

A little Safari on the side for (HTML5) hardware accelerated videos.

It's a tie right now: Chrome vs Safari => 71 vs 71 votes :D.

JSalig
Jul 26, 2011, 03:59 PM
Been using Safari exclusively but now that I've gotten the hang of BetterTouchTools I might just go back to Chrome.

Billy Mac
Jul 26, 2011, 04:00 PM
Broke the tie. Print preview is a must for me. Never understood why it was missing in Chrome.

ritmomundo
Jul 26, 2011, 04:05 PM
The new Safari seems to be doing well. But, after a period of time Safari starts requiring TONS of memory to run, even if you're doing something extraordinarily simple.

Yet - I find that having multiple tabs open in Chrome slows it down too.

Thanks for the reply. Safari does seem to be running faster for me in Lion (than Firefox, which I barely use anymore), but I've had Safari stall at times for up to 10-15 seconds when I really needed it to respond quickly. These are times when even a single second makes a difference, and stalling like that is unacceptable (its happened 4 times in the last 2 days). I haven't tried Chrome yet, but I'll give it a shot today and see how that goes.

mrtravel123
Jul 26, 2011, 08:46 PM
Ok, I'm giving up on the new Safari with Lion. This memory leakage problem needs to be fixed ASAP. Once it is fixed I'll go back to Safari. Until then, I'll be using Chrome.

It baffles me that Apple released Safari with such a glaring problem. This surely must have come up in testing. Safari should NOT be consuming 1+ GB of RAM after an hour or two of basic web surfing. Maybe it's not happening to everyone. But, I know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.

BriChi
Jul 26, 2011, 09:34 PM
I like Chrome, I changed the setting in gestures so I can 3 finger swipe pages in chrome now.

I hate the new swipe in safari, it takes longer to go back and scroll because of the dumb page animation it does, the page doesn't refresh until the animation swipe is done where previously it refreshes as as soon as you swipe so there is that 1 second delay in the new version where you cant do anything because if you swipe down and then scroll right away, it is still in the refresh state so the page shoots back up so back to Chrome I go, I dont need stupid page animations when I swipe back and forth, waist of time IMO

tablo13
Jul 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
Even in Apple Store, MacBook Air browsed MUCH faster with Google Chrome. However I don't like how it deals with full screen mode in Lion, no address bar or exit full screen button.

SteelWheel
Jul 26, 2011, 09:53 PM
Safari has a serious memory leak in Lion, that and the lack of extensions make me wonder why people would use it.

I use Firefox mostly because the AdBlock+ extension actually blocks video ads properly and from any website. The Chrome version doesn't.

I have my own HOSTS file which pretty much blocks every ad under the sun. Gives me more direct control, which I prefer.

I'm a tremendous "abuser" of browsers, generally. I find that despite my best efforts, I often end up with 20 or 30 windows open, and close to 200 tabs (I know, I'm crazy...). Needless to say, I end up with browser crashes fairly often. I end up using some of the session manager extensions in Safari, like "Sessions" and "SafariRestore". Are there similar extensions available for Chrome?

clyde2801
Jul 26, 2011, 10:21 PM
Seems like canary automatically opens flash videos as h264. Nice.

pezasied182
Jul 27, 2011, 03:36 AM
Before Lion on my MacBook Pro, I used Chrome exclusively. Now on my air with Lion I use Safari, until Chrome updates some things. I do really like the three finger tap twice dictionary thing and swiping on Safari though, maybe I'll stay.

genosseinski
Jul 27, 2011, 08:25 AM
I often end up with 20 or 30 windows open, and close to 200 tabs (I know, I'm crazy...).

200 Tabs???? 30 windows? What on earth are you doing on the Internet? Can't you say good bye to some old tabs?

clyde2801
Jul 27, 2011, 09:36 AM
I'd just love to find some way to do the two fingered forward and back function on a browser other than safari.

rkheyfets
Jul 27, 2011, 09:43 AM
Chrome blows all other browsers out of the water!

Scuba629
Jul 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
does anyone know how to make Chrome work with a click2flash type of setup?

I found this but im not sure if it works?

http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/11/chrome-now-offers-click-to-play-option-for-flash-other-plugins/

mrtravel123
Jul 27, 2011, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=BriChi;13050273]I like Chrome, I changed the setting in gestures so I can 3 finger swipe pages in chrome now.

How did you do this? I can't find a way. I have it for 2 fingers to move between pages. But, it doesn't work within Chrome for me. The new Safari, yes. Chrome, no.

CapnJackGig
Jul 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=BriChi;13050273]I like Chrome, I changed the setting in gestures so I can 3 finger swipe pages in chrome now.

How did you do this? I can't find a way. I have it for 2 fingers to move between pages. But, it doesn't work within Chrome for me. The new Safari, yes. Chrome, no.

System Preferences - Trackpad - Swipe Between Pages.

Change the value from 2 fingers to 3 or to 2 AND 3.

Hey Jude
Jul 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have used Chrome in the past, which is certainly fast but I decided to use Safari about six months ago and just loved the user experience so didn't go back to Chrome.

entatlrg
Jul 27, 2011, 06:16 PM
Surprised to see Firefox doing so poorly in the Poll.

Why? Are the others that much better? Or is Firefox that bad?

I use Firefox ... better than my Explorer days ... Safari I don't like as much because for me Firefox manages font sizes better, and Chrome was buggy way back when I tried it.

bp1000
Jul 27, 2011, 06:45 PM
Chrome is the best browser but had to vote Safari this time round because of the gesture support. Makes the experience so much nicer despite it not being as snappy as chrome.

Daveoc64
Jul 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
Broke the tie. Print preview is a must for me. Never understood why it was missing in Chrome.

Print Preview can be enabled in Chrome.

In the address bar, type "about:flags".

Scroll down to "Print Preview" and click Enable.

Restart Chrome and you'll get a preview when you print.

This feature will be enabled by default in the next version of Chrome.

Daveoc64
Jul 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
Surprised to see Firefox doing so poorly in the Poll.

Why? Are the others that much better? Or is Firefox that bad?

I use Firefox ... better than my Explorer days ... Safari I don't like as much because for me Firefox manages font sizes better, and Chrome was buggy way back when I tried it.

IMO Firefox got too comfortable being in the position of "non-Microsoft Open Source alternative" and rested on its laurels too much. Chrome has really come in and shaken the market up.

Even Microsoft seems to be on a better path than Mozilla does.