PDA

View Full Version : Instant on & Lion - not instant..

drxcm
Jul 22, 2011, 10:47 PM
Have the 2010 11" Air

Just installed Lion and now have at least a few seconds when waking before the mouse cursor will move and become useable. A little disappointing considering how quick it was to wake earlier.

Anyone else noticed this?

Is it any different on the 2011 models?

polygoo
Jul 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
same problem on 2011 i5 13" air, kinda disappointed myself too :(

PaulDoFish
Jul 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing.. My sisters' 2010 & 2011 MBPs with Snow Leopard (13 inch base models) wake up faster than my 2011 13 inch base MBA :/

utstudent
Jul 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
my 2010 11" mba wake up slower on lion too. I think it have to do with the "resume" feature in Lion. It also drain my battery too :(

ddong
Jul 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
what the hell.. how long does it takes? the resume fonction is for restart/shutdown! no way for sleep!

The Norman
Jul 22, 2011, 11:50 PM
Mine too. Will the OS "learn" and get faster or is this it? Slower in and out of sleep/power.

GREEN4U
Jul 22, 2011, 11:56 PM
Apple just historically is terrible with new software on old hardware. I installed Leopard on my G4 Powerbook in 2008. Worst mistake ever. Everything was slower. Expose and transitions were laggy, jumpy. I got used to it, but it never got better. :o

Another example is old iPhones/iPod Touches with new iOS updates. Every time I updated, I noticed lag and a much shorter battery life. Each time I ended up resetting it to the original OS.

Now I never bother to upgrade the mac or iphone OS. Nothing can ever beat the native OS that came with the original computer/iPod/iPhone. It usually just makes things worse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

lulla01
Jul 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
yeah i just got a new MBAIR and there is defiantly no "INSTANT" on

richard371
Jul 23, 2011, 01:10 AM
I noticed the same thing but I can live with it. Maybe the next update will help. Still impressed how bug free this OS is over all.

BigJohno
Jul 23, 2011, 01:22 AM
No instant on here. Have a 2010 MBA fully loaded 13 running lion.

lulla01
Jul 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
It must be a lion bug if it's not working on the 2010 models either. With snow leopard I had great instant on results with my 2010 MBA

Duke15
Jul 23, 2011, 09:00 PM
Can someone post a v ideo of them resuming their new MBA, wouldnt mind seeing it?

gwsat
Jul 23, 2011, 09:24 PM
The posts to this thread, along with my own experience, have convinced me that Lion is not ready for prime time. I installed it on my 2010 MBA last week and it's been nothing but trouble. I run windows 7 in a VMware Fusion virtual machine, with a couple of Windows apps open, simultaneously with 5 or 6 OS X apps. With Snow Leopard page outs never amounted to more than 2 or 3 percent of page ins and I never saw a beachball. With Lion, though, page outs are running at about 20 percent of page ins and I am frequently experiencing beachballing.

I learned yesterday that the search function is broken in Mail 5.0 so that it's no longer possible to do a full text search of all messages or a single mailbox. An Apple Care tech confirmed that this was the case and submitted the bug to Apple engineering.

I use Chrome as my browser and never had any trouble with it in earlier versions of OS X. With Lion, though, in order to close Chrome I have to use force quit about two-thirds of the time.

I just hope Apple cleans up its mess promptly

smickle1111
Jul 29, 2011, 01:12 AM
Same thing here - i noticed it day one when i got the new air.

2011 mac air 13" i7 - 256 gig.

instant on following sleep worse if require password to be entered.

without a password its ok, but the cursor lags/sticks for a couple seconds!

overall lion works well...

xkmxkmxlmx
Jul 29, 2011, 01:24 AM
Apple just historically is terrible with new software on old hardware. I installed Leopard on my G4 Powerbook in 2008. Worst mistake ever. Everything was slower. Expose and transitions were laggy, jumpy. I got used to it, but it never got better. :o

It is not just 2010. There are tons of posts about the new MBA's doing it as well.

You really shouldn't throw around generalized stats based on YOUR experiences. I have had many older Macs that OS updates seemingly made better, especially with Leopard and even more-so with Snow Leopard. In fact, my 2006 iMac was the last thing I put SL on and that machine was an all new kind of beast afterwards.

At any rate, it does not apply to everything. And OBVIOUSLY older things will sometimes not work well with newer releases. That is just common sense.

ZBoater
Jul 29, 2011, 01:27 AM
Am I understanding the issue correctly that waking up is taking 3 seconds instead of 1? :confused:

petvas
Jul 29, 2011, 01:40 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually I had this issue in the first two days on my MBA but now it is working as it should. Waking up from sleep is instant, or close enough.

jomo25
Jul 29, 2011, 01:53 AM
There was another thread on this previously. Here's my experience.

On my '10 11" MBA with SL, it was instant on. I mean instant. And the trackpad was instantly available also.

On my '10 11" MBA with Lion, it was the same. Instant on. Instant trackpad.

On my new '11 11" MBA with Lion, it is about 1 second before the screen comes on, and another 1.5 sec for the trackpad to become active.

TheRealHershey
Jul 29, 2011, 01:58 AM
WOW! I thought it was just my MBA, since I haven't seen anyone say anything about it online. Mine is hella slow. Probably 3 - 10 seconds from sleep. I do have a password, which I never put on my MBP 13, so I figured it was that.

Lion on the new MBAs seems to be really buggy, to me, anyhow. Like this evening, I was connecting to a new wifi network, I missed the password, started to enter it again and the whole system was frozen solid. ;(

Lion is too buggy.

mrklaw
Jul 29, 2011, 02:12 AM
Am I understanding the issue correctly that waking up is taking 3 seconds instead of 1? :confused:

pretty much. Its no better than my 2008 MBP that I'm replacing. Very disappointing considering the hype around 'instant on'. Still loving the responsiveness but thats probably just the SSD.

Brenzo
Jul 29, 2011, 02:17 AM
I was a little surprised to see this delay with my new 11" Air (i5) and am just chalking it up to 10.7.0 and assuming that it'll be improved along with a bunch of other "bugs" I've stumbled across in the first week.

ZBoater
Jul 29, 2011, 03:10 AM
Wow guys. I mean, wow. Ok, I get it. I guess since i come from Windows and the land of the 3 minute boot, anything under 5 seconds is pretty much instant to me. For me at least the difference between 5 seconds and 3 seconds and "instant" is just not that important. I can wait. :D

mrklaw
Jul 29, 2011, 03:24 AM
Wow guys. I mean, wow. Ok, I get it. I guess since i come from Windows and the land of the 3 minute boot, anything under 5 seconds is pretty much instant to me. For me at least the difference between 5 seconds and 3 seconds and "instant" is just not that important. I can wait. :D

Yes I know, its still pretty quick and we shouldn't moan. Except Apple kind of invite it when they market 'instant on' as a key point of the MBA.

And the MacBooks generally are very fast coming out of sleep compared to many PC laptops,but the air was supposed to be even better. 30 days standby, instant on and 7 hours battery life is a compelling sales pitch

if it doesn't actually last 30 days in standby (some are having issues with lion), and doesn't wake up any quicker than a normal macbook, then that is kind of disappointing, no?

hereyago
Jul 29, 2011, 03:36 AM

I come from windows and it used to take around 30 seconds to boot though.

But you're right. I can't believe people are complaining about 3 seconds :eek:

MacBoobsPro
Jul 29, 2011, 03:48 AM

Another example is old iPhones/iPod Touches with new iOS updates. Every time I updated, I noticed lag and a much shorter battery life. Each time I ended up resetting it to the original OS.

Now I never bother to upgrade the mac or iphone OS. Nothing can ever beat the native OS that came with the original computer/iPod/iPhone. It usually just makes things worse. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Software upgrades usually come with new features taking advantage of new technologies which require more resources so obviously (in most cases at least) new software will run slower on older machines unless its specifically designed to improve performance for said machine. Its not rocket science!

kattjeveln
Jul 29, 2011, 06:36 AM
I come from windows and it used to take around 30 seconds to boot though.

But you're right. I can't believe people are complaining about 3 seconds :eek:

It's not something that is a problem for anyone, it's not important whether or not the wake up time is 1 or 3 seconds, but it's an advertised feature and something many love and think of as an awesomeness factor.

My 2c

I'm not bothered by the delay, but if there was none, it would be so much cooler.

KPOM
Jul 29, 2011, 06:39 AM

Once you get used to "instant on" (and even my old MacBook Air from November 2008 was pretty "instant on") you notice the lag on the new machines. I wasn't sure if it was a firmware thing or a Lion thing, but with people reporting it on their upgraded 2010s, it is looking like a Lion thing. Hopefully 10.7.1 fixes these issues.

There are other bugs right now, too, such as the deep sleep issue, that may be firmware-related.

Akamatsu
Jul 29, 2011, 10:55 AM

6 seconds from black to cursor on mine.

rkheyfets
Jul 29, 2011, 11:12 AM
i have a 2010 macbook air and its about 3-4 seconds now with SL,
however it used be around 1-2 when i first got it figuring it was one of the software updates that caused it.

3bs
Jul 29, 2011, 11:45 AM
Same thing happens on my 11" 2010 ultimate running Lion. I really hope Apple fix this. Sure it's only a few seconds but it makes a difference

ooans
Jul 29, 2011, 11:57 AM

Something similar with me. Not nice... when you're used to instant-on from SL.

The Norman
Jul 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
It's not Windows slow, but it is slower than when we were running Snow Leopard. It just seems like something that should have either stayed the same or been improved. The startup/shutdown times blew my mind when I first opened my MBP after years of Windows (And particularly during Vista pre 7).

stevenpa
Jul 29, 2011, 12:14 PM
It's not Windows slow, but it is slower than when we were running Snow Leopard. It just seems like something that should have either stayed the same or been improved. The startup/shutdown times blew my mind when I first opened my MBP after years of Windows (And particularly during Vista pre 7).

Windows 7 resume from sleep is about 4-5 seconds or so. My MBA took 10 seconds to resume this morning, not sure why. Usually it's 2-3 seconds or so.

In terms of startup/shutdown the MBA is insanely fast.

KPOM
Jul 29, 2011, 12:16 PM

If I leave it plugged in so it doesn't go into deep sleep, it takes maybe 2 seconds to show the login screen (for my encryption password) but then it immediately hooks up to Wi-Fi, so it's a wash compared to my 2010.

However, if I let it go into deep sleep, it definitely takes closer to 10 seconds, and it occasionally "forgets" my wi-fi connection is a preferred network, meaning I need to select it manually. This was vs about 5 seconds in Snow Leopard.

Hopefully a fix is coming soon.

No-Me
Jul 29, 2011, 04:21 PM
Same here,.. in snow leopard my 2010 ultimate 11" woke up instantly, could use it right away, with lion it takes like 8-10 seconds,.. maybe a small thing, but really annoying. Especially when "instant on" was a feature apple was really enthusiast about :)

TheRealHershey
Jul 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
Just had another weird bug happen after my 2011 MBA came out of sleep. It came out fairly fast, I entered my password, and then the mouse worked, but clicking did nothing. I thought I was going to have to restart it by holding the power button, but entering and coming out of sleep again seemed to fix it.

Marconelly
Jul 29, 2011, 09:47 PM
I've grown to dislike this startup delay s much that I went and installed SmartSleep utility that allows you to just put computer into a regular sleep mode when it's closed, instead of the deep sleep mode that it goes to after an hour or so. This way the computer is fully ready to use before I'm finished lifting the screen up.

Battery drains faster this way, but I don't really care as I'm almost always close to a charger, and it really does get annoying after a while that computer takes almost 10 seconds to fully wake from the sleep, cursor keeps jumping around, application that was left open is sluggish almost to the point of crashing etc.

2IS
Jul 29, 2011, 09:59 PM
Same problem here. Lion takes 2-3x longer than SL to fully wake.

hystery
Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 PM
I've grown to dislike this startup delay s much that I went and installed SmartSleep utility that allows you to just put computer into a regular sleep mode when it's closed, instead of the deep sleep mode that it goes to after an hour or so. This way the computer is fully ready to use before I'm finished lifting the screen up.

Battery drains faster this way, but I don't really care as I'm almost always close to a charger, and it really does get annoying after a while that computer takes almost 10 seconds to fully wake from the sleep, cursor keeps jumping around, application that was left open is sluggish almost to the point of crashing etc.

So Apple changed sleep mode and that's causing the delay?
It's not instant-on here with 13 ultimate 2011 btw.

Oppressed
Jul 29, 2011, 10:19 PM
Those of you with this problem. Do you have a third party program that checks for something online automatically? For example an email checker, RSS reader, or something similar? Also next question do you all use the log in window when resuming from sleep?

Just trying to boil down the problem to a solution. I read in another thread that if you turn off wifi it will become instant.

xraydoc
Jul 29, 2011, 10:42 PM
I also suspect that either the new machines' firmware, or Lion itself, sets the deep sleep (suspend) mode to kick in much, much sooner than on previous machine.

For example, my aluminum MacBook will sit in sleep mode when I close the lid and remain that way for a day or two until the battery is completely depleted. Then if I plug it in and start it up, it'll load the suspend image off the HD. This takes a good 20-30 seconds or so. And the battery will be completely empty.

The new Airs, from what I can tell, enter the deep sleep/suspend mode after a couple of hours so the battery doesn't continue to drain. This is why it takes 10 seconds or to reload the image off the SSD. But the battery won't be dead.

Coming out of (light) sleep mode, I agree should be a little faster, but it looks to me like it's a wifi-reconnect cycle occurring BEFORE the desktop comes up and not after. That's why turning off the wifi before closing the lid speeds up the wake cycle.

rsvrfactory
Jul 29, 2011, 10:49 PM
Same here,.. in snow leopard my 2010 ultimate 11" woke up instantly, could use it right away, with lion it takes like 8-10 seconds,.. maybe a small thing, but really annoying. Especially when "instant on" was a feature apple was really enthusiast about :)

:rolleyes: Seriously? People can't wait that long to start using it? Wow!!

scarred
Jul 29, 2011, 10:56 PM
Compared to every computer I've had in the past, the speed of resume of the Macbook Air is amazing. Blows everything out of the water.

I agree however, it is not "instant on" like the iPad/iPhone.

No-Me
Jul 30, 2011, 04:21 AM
:rolleyes: Seriously? People can't wait that long to start using it? Wow!!
With snow leopard it was literally less than a second before I could use it,.. now it's worse than my parents 7 year old iBook. I used to open & close my air quite often during meetings, than you notice the difference :).

When apple introduced the 2010 Air less than a year ago, one of the main features was "instant on".

Kavrocks
Jul 30, 2011, 08:55 AM
My new MBA 13" i5 wakes quicker than any other laptop or desktop I have ever had. Wake time is no more than 2 seconds which is close enough to instant on for me.

Ach111es
Jul 31, 2011, 06:50 PM
my wake has a strange lag

1) greyish/black screen
2) cursor appears, but will not move
3) sign in comes up and its all good.

any help?

xraydoc
Jul 31, 2011, 09:01 PM
my wake has a strange lag

1) greyish/black screen
2) cursor appears, but will not move
3) sign in comes up and its all good.

any help?

At this point, this seems to be "normal."

maclook
Jul 31, 2011, 09:11 PM
I wonder why Apple decided to market "instant on" in the first place. It's not really instant, as it takes just as long as my old Macbook does to wake. They should have called it "quiet on" since that's the pleasant thing about waking a SSD MBA from sleep :p

mkelly
Jul 31, 2011, 09:19 PM
There is another thread regarding this problem, see here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1201719

There have been reports of WiFi issues with Lion - in the above thread I suggested the slow wake ups might be WiFi-related, they don't seem to happen to everyone (my 13" 2011 MBA wakes up nearly as fast as my wife's 2010 11" MBA for instance).

Several people tried turning off their wifi before putting the laptop to sleep, and they noticed a definite speed improvement upon waking. It may have something to do with DHCP IP address negotiation, as some folks were able to speed up their wake times by assigning static IPs to their machines.

Worth a shot.

Oppressed
Jul 31, 2011, 10:11 PM
I assume most of you have tried the command line fix already right?

sudo chown root:admin /
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

One at a time and give it time to process.

KPOM
Jul 31, 2011, 10:23 PM

No, I wasn't aware of it. What do these commands do? Do they clear some caches?

geekygeek
Jul 31, 2011, 10:48 PM
Same problem with 13" i5 128gb.

MilkMan4
Jul 31, 2011, 11:05 PM
quick thought... has apple actually advertised instant on for this new generation of macbook air?

KPOM
Jul 31, 2011, 11:39 PM
quick thought... has apple actually advertised instant on for this new generation of macbook air?

Yes. See the section titled "Instant On Gratification"

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html

MilkMan4
Jul 31, 2011, 11:41 PM
Yes. See the section titled "Instant On Gratification"

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html

ok thank you thats all i was looking for

now I'm mad! >:/

KPOM
Aug 1, 2011, 05:52 AM

I ran this last night and let it go into deep sleep. Perhaps it was marginally faster, though it didn't "forget" my preferred wi-fi connection as it has in the past. I'll see if it stays that way. That said, it still went from 98% yesterday to 95% this morning (actually briefly dropping down to 94% as I plugged in the charger).

mkelly
Aug 1, 2011, 09:15 AM

Well, it's not as bad as quoting the old "make sure you repair permissions" voodoo, but those commands aren't going to fix any wake-from-sleep issues.

1. sudo chown root:admin /

Sets the owner of all files/directories in the top-level directory of your hard drive to the root user, and their group to admin. In fact, some of these files are usually owned by root:wheel and root:staff.

2. sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
This updates the system's kernel with all the drivers (kexts) in the extensions folder. Might speed up your booting, but when you resume from sleep, the kernel's *already* loaded and running.

3. sudo kextcache -system-caches
This rebuilds some caches for various drivers in your system

Again, when you're waking from sleep this stuff is already loaded in memory.

KPOM
Aug 1, 2011, 09:22 AM
Well, it's not as bad as quoting the old "make sure you repair permissions" voodoo, but those commands aren't going to fix any wake-from-sleep issues.

1. sudo chown root:admin /

Sets the owner of all files/directories in the top-level directory of your hard drive to the root user, and their group to admin. In fact, some of these files are usually owned by root:wheel and root:staff.

2. sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
This updates the system's kernel with all the drivers (kexts) in the extensions folder. Might speed up your booting, but when you resume from sleep, the kernel's *already* loaded and running.

3. sudo kextcache -system-caches
This rebuilds some caches for various drivers in your system

Again, when you're waking from sleep this stuff is already loaded in memory.

Thanks. So this might speed up reboot times, but won't do anything about waking from sleep. Anyway, mine has been reasonably OK, but I still would like some Lion updates soon to fix the bugs.

Ach111es
Aug 19, 2011, 11:00 AM
How has everyone done under 10.7.1? I definitely noticed less lag (mouse unresponsive) after awake
From deep sleep

KPOM
Aug 19, 2011, 11:14 AM
How has everyone done under 10.7.1? I definitely noticed less lag (mouse unresponsive) after awake
From deep sleep

It's been a mixed bag. I still occasionally get a lost Wi-Fi connection from deep sleep, and it still takes about 10 seconds (I have encrypted my drive, but it should still do a bit better than that). However, from normal sleep, it wakes up about as quickly as my 2010 did, and it connects to Wi-Fi by the time I'm finished typing in my FileVault password (quicker than the 2010 connected).

mr1
Sep 20, 2011, 02:57 PM
I noticed this as well as eventually went back to Snow Leopard. I recently installed the new firmware update (EFI?) and now I notice the same problem in Snow Leopard.

I guess I can give Lion another shot now, hah

Flip2gig
Sep 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
11" i5 10.7.1 having the same issues. Instant on is horrible, 2-3 second freeze, mouse will hang up, sometimes it will hang for 10 seconds.

I have my wallpaper set to change every 5 minutes, so it will want to swap backgrounds everytime out of sleep. Yeah I could turn this feature off but Apple needs to fix this ASAP!

2IS
Sep 28, 2011, 02:56 AM
I was just about to post something about instant on when I saw this subscribed thread pop back up.

My news is on the positive side though. I don't know what happened, but my "instant on" is pretty damn close to instant all of a sudden. I too was plagued by the unresponsive track pad for several seconds after upgrading to lion. I'm not sure exactly when it started, but the past several days the computer wakes as close to instant as you can get. Cursor is ready to go as soon as the lid opens, the only thing I have to wait for is my wifi connection and that happens pretty fast too.

Whatever it was that "fixed" the problem, i'm grateful. It's as responsive as SL was.

litchblade
Sep 28, 2011, 03:33 AM
Seriously I have no idea what you guys are doing. When I wake my MBA 2011 with i7 up, it takes 2 secs max until I can use it, but its more like 1 second or something like that.

Even if it would be 4, jesus, what are you guys up to? :)

Do you have to hurry that much? :-P

orfeas0
Sep 28, 2011, 03:34 AM
My toshiba qosmio f60-10k (with 5400RPM hdd) starts from sleep in 3 seconds, with wifi-trackpad and mouse working ;)
Although the window "sleep" function drains a loooot of battery (it lasts ~4 hours in sleep).

litchblade
Sep 28, 2011, 03:52 AM
My toshiba qosmio f60-10k (with 5400RPM hdd) starts from sleep in 3 seconds, with wifi-trackpad and mouse working ;)
Although the window "sleep" function drains a loooot of battery (it lasts ~4 hours in sleep).

Seriously, you can better keep your MBA on then and still have more battery than your windows laptop in sleep mode lol :-D

orfeas0
Sep 28, 2011, 07:01 AM
Seriously, you can better keep your MBA on then and still have more battery than your windows laptop in sleep mode lol :-D

That's why I'm trying to sell it and buy an MBA ;) While watching videos, it will last ~30 minutes... I can watch a full 20min episode of a sitcom!! Not even a 40minute one :( and we better not talk about a movie...
Then again, it's mostly a desktop replacement, not so much a mobile computer...

drxcm
Sep 28, 2011, 07:31 AM
Seriously I have no idea what you guys are doing. When I wake my MBA 2011 with i7 up, it takes 2 secs max until I can use it, but its more like 1 second or something like that.

Even if it would be 4, jesus, what are you guys up to? :)

Do you have to hurry that much? :-P

My 11" i7 can take up to 7-8 seconds to wake from deep sleep.

Seriously, I have no idea what you are doing to get yours to wake so quickly..

litchblade
Sep 28, 2011, 08:11 AM
Mhhh weird. I have no idea, it's 2-3 seconds MAX. but more like 1-2 seconds.

I have no idea, gonna ask my brother how fast his one is.

LordVic
Sep 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
< 2 seconds from opening the lid to typing my password

if thats not "instant". I dont know what you'd hope for.

Gemütlichkeit
Sep 28, 2011, 08:43 AM
for me it's completely random so far.. sometimes i'ts instant like an iphone.. others it takes 10 seconds

litchblade
Sep 28, 2011, 01:55 PM
My brother also got 1-2 seconds. Has to be some kind of program or something I guess if it takes 8 seconds...

Shapethelola
Sep 28, 2011, 02:41 PM
Have you guys updatet Lion from SL or was it a fresh/clean install ?

Flip2gig
Sep 28, 2011, 10:11 PM
This thread started with the new 2011 models that came with Lion out of the box. Instant On should be just that, when I open the lid of my laptop I want to use it instantly, not wait 3-10 seconds for it to unlock, this is absurd.

xkmxkmxlmx
Sep 29, 2011, 01:36 AM
Just gonna chime in with: I had a 2010 Snow Leopard that was literally INSTANT on. I have a 2011 installed with Lion and there is a definite difference. Nothing to cry about, but damn that instant on was just a cool thing to see.

MrXiro
Sep 29, 2011, 02:40 AM

Yeah that's pretty much to the T... it's annoying but not leap off a cliff awful. I notice it, but I prefer the 4 finger swipe to another open desktop/full screen app any day... as for battery life... not sure if it's actually shorter.

litchblade
Sep 29, 2011, 04:40 AM
If I wake my MBA up from Sleep mode its on in about 1-2 seconds, that is instant for me. Seriously guys, you guys are freaks who say you want instant instant in 0 seconds. Thats ridiculous ... :)

The MBA of my brother (we both have 13" i7) is as fast as mine.

RobQuads
Sep 29, 2011, 07:08 AM
My 11" i7 can take up to 7-8 seconds to wake from deep sleep.

My 13" i7 is also the same. I don't think its every been instant. Its often 2-4 seconds but occasionally is 8/10 seconds before the screen comes on.

Instant to me = sub second i.e. before you can notice or be able to do anything else in the time.
In computers, instant on is the ability to boot nearly instantaneously i.e. straight away, not after 1/2/3/4..etc seconds.

Those saying we are expecting too much. Apple are the ones that advertise it as Instant on. If they did not advertise it we would not expect it.

litchblade
Sep 29, 2011, 07:52 AM
When Im going out of sleep mode my display is instant on, trackpad needs 1-2 seconds.

gman901
Sep 29, 2011, 08:38 AM
I apologize about hijacking this thread, but after reading that a lot of folks have noticed longer wake times from sleep and intermittment issues with wifi on Lion since July, I was wondering if I should hold off on upgrading to Lion? I sold my Air 11" ultimate and have ordered the 13" Ulimate (2010) from Apple and I am not sure if they will include a free upgrade to Lion. I liked Snow Leopard on my 11" and had no problems and now I am wondering if it's worth the upgrade to Lion with folks still saying that SL was snappier. I am sure future Lion releases will improve speed, etc. Are there any 2010 Air owners who would care to comment with some advice? Thanks!

mr1
Sep 29, 2011, 08:45 PM
Have you guys updatet Lion from SL or was it a fresh/clean install ?

I've tried both with the same results.

Shapethelola
Sep 30, 2011, 12:43 AM
I've tried both with the same results.

Ok mate, then I really do have no idea what causes it. Its weird, its not really related to any hardware so far I have seen, as some guys in here do not have this kind of problem. Guess its just some lion bug which needs to be fixed by Apple. I guess we have to wait for 10.7.2 and see if it helps.

rickolis
Oct 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
Has the 10.7.2 update fixed the wake from sleep issue for you guys?

Brenzo
Oct 13, 2011, 01:22 PM

I haven't really had a chance to test it out, but 10.7.2 definitely fixed some other bugs (mostly related to full screen issues). The system feels snappier overall, so I am guessing the instant-on will be improved. One of my bigger gripes was how long it would take to reconnect to the WiFi network, which was supposed to be another fix included in the patch. I will try to test out both when I get back home.

KPOM
Oct 13, 2011, 02:32 PM

I had the 10.7.2 beta, and while it didn't solve all the problems (occasionally it would "forget" the Wi-Fi connection, and it still isn't nearly as fast to return as was Snow Leopard), it did improve performance quite a bit. There were quite a few builds, so I'm guessing Apple fixed a lot of bugs with this release.

LordJim
Oct 13, 2011, 08:39 PM

Nope!

KidPub
Oct 13, 2011, 09:34 PM

For me it has on a mid-2011 MBA 13". It's a second or less to get a password box when opening the lid, and a second after hitting Enter to get to the desktop. It was 3 or 4 seconds for each under 10.7.1.

Perry

mr1
Oct 13, 2011, 11:43 PM

No

Aksta
Oct 13, 2011, 11:52 PM
10.7.2 has made it worse for me. Before my screen was on in under second with a 2 second trackpad delay now the screen takes 2 seconds to come on and a further 2 secs for the trackpad.

onthecouchagain
Oct 14, 2011, 12:12 AM
You know what's annoying? This is still an issue even after the latest update. Waking from sleep on Lion still takes anywhere from 3-5 seconds long. And waking up from full sleep (ie. in complete standby mode) takes upwards of 8-10 seconds long.

It's kind of ridiculous, especially since it's touted as "instant on."

EDIT: Ah, I just got caught up on the thread. I see a lot have already noted latest Lion doesn't fix this issue. So hopefully in a future update...?

thomasheldrup
Oct 14, 2011, 12:16 AM
It's still occurring for me aswell!

lukekarts
Oct 14, 2011, 05:04 AM
Yeah definitely not fixed

J.C
Oct 14, 2011, 05:08 AM
Mine is very random. Sometimes fast waking from a sleep, sometimes slow. Same for deep sleep.

abz1981
Oct 15, 2011, 02:24 PM
How long does your guys MBA's take to log in screen from initial start on of MBA. I have a 2011 base model 13inch MBA.

think mines takes about 17 seconds.

BlueBliss
Nov 3, 2011, 02:24 PM
Revive thread!

It's an issue for me, as well. 2011 MBA, 13" i5. Once it goes into deep sleep, it can take about 2-3 seconds for the screen to actually pop up (cursor shows up immediately sometimes, though).

To all the posters who are asking us why this is such an "issue," it's simply because 1. They advertise instant-on, and 2. Before they even HAD instant-on, the 2009 MacBooks (and many others) would literally turn on instantly with the flip of the lid! My sister's Macbook comes on a split second after you open the lid, and it's fully responsive.

THAT's the problem. Not only was this advertised as being faster, but it's also SLOWER than previous MacBooks with SL. :rolleyes:

mark28
Nov 3, 2011, 02:44 PM
If I wake my MBA up from Sleep mode its on in about 1-2 seconds, that is instant for me. Seriously guys, you guys are freaks who say you want instant instant in 0 seconds. Thats ridiculous ... :)

The MBA of my brother (we both have 13" i7) is as fast as mine.

Then my 15" MBP with Snow leopard also has instant on then. My MBP is alot faster than 2 seconds :cool:

rickolis
Nov 9, 2011, 12:54 AM
I got a software update a couple days ago specifically for the MBA and since installing that (reboot required), the mouse delay after instant-on has significantly decreased. It's still not without hesitation, but it's markedly improved. This update was after the 10.7.2 update many weeks ago.

onthecouchagain
Nov 9, 2011, 09:15 AM
My Air is up to date as of Nov. 9th. This morning, after a night of 'full sleep', my Air still took about 8-10 seconds to wake.

Also, the screen was fizzled. Does anyone else get this sometimes? Where the screen looks like it's all scrambled? It goes away after you log in, so it's not that big of a problem. I'll try to take a picture next time I see it.

Anyway, yeah, instant-on, still not instant.

mouthster
Nov 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
My 2008 MPB pre-Unibody has faster "instant-on" then my MBA.

vitzr
Nov 9, 2011, 12:19 PM
same problem on 2011 i5 13" air, kinda disappointed myself too :(

Very true, it's just the nature of the consumer focused Lion.

Tora Shin
Nov 9, 2011, 02:28 PM
It's the same for my 2011 13" MBP with a samsung SSD, although I've actually only just noticed it because I usually leave it open to play music! I was sure I'd done something to make it suddenly start but it must have been either the 10.7.2 update or I was just oblivious to it :P It came with lion so I have no idea what snow leopard would have been like.
It seems really dodgy because everything else it blazing fast... boots in 20 secs with no hangs etc. I have tried resetting the PRAM & SMC, plus emptying the cache but they didn't change anything.

miggitymac
Nov 9, 2011, 05:48 PM
On my 2010 13" MBA I was getting boot times ranging from 18-22 seconds from the time I logged in to the time I had a working desktop. Response from sleep was about 2 secs. I timed them with my iPhone stopwatch.

Last night I decided to do a clean install to get rid of a lot of junk I had on my computer as well as to make a USB installer for Lion. Using the same iPhone stopwatch my boot times are back to less than 15 seconds and my wake time is pretty much instant. Can't even time it accurately because it basically wakes the moment I start the timer. I haven't tested the response time of any peripherals (keyboards, mouse, etc) as I never use any with my Air.

It took a long time to do a clean install, but it might be worth your while if you're bothered by the longer times.

ChiSnowman
Dec 5, 2011, 02:52 PM
Similar situation here. I have a 2010 MBA with Lion (upgrade not clean install) and it takes about 5-10 seconds when it comes out of deep sleep for everything to be functional (wifi and cursor). During that time the time is stuck on the time when I closed the lid.

When I had SL, there was a slight delay coming out of deep sleep but nowhere near this bad.

onthecouchagain
Dec 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
Ditto. Latest update still results in anywhere from 2-4 seconds from normal sleep, and as much as 8-10 seconds from full sleep. Not the end of the world, but not what's promised and advertised from Apple either.

Also, my screen still sometimes scrambles when waking from full sleep.

drxcm
Dec 6, 2011, 05:53 AM
Honestly, this sucks.

I can't believe there is still a problem this long after launch. I LOVED how quickly my 2010 11" with SL awoke.

firefire
Jan 2, 2012, 09:02 AM
Hey there,

Sorry to revive this thread... I'm wondering if a combination of things are needed to avoid Apple's new way of sleeping on 2011 11" and 13" Macs in Lion:

- Disabling hibernate mode and deleting the sleep image

Even though I disabled hibernation, and even though the screen comes back in 1-2 seconds for me, if my 2011 Air sleeps for more than an hour, my cursor and keyboard are frozen for a good 5 seconds before I can do anything. I was disappointed, because my 4-5 year old Fujitsu tablet wakes up instantly with Windows 7.

I'm wondering if the Air still 'searches' for a nonexistent sleep image if the mode isn't set to 1 instead of 3. I understand that I'm taking a gamble if I run out of battery, but I'd prefer the faster wakeup time (if it works, that is).

So, I'm going to try all these steps (instead of just one), and see if it makes a difference. I understand that this was posted in many forums before, but I don't think I've seen all the steps listed at the same time.

In Terminal:

1) Disable Hibernation:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
(In Snow Leopard, this step alone worked for me on the 2010 Air, but it doesn't help me on the 2011 Air.)

2) Remove the sleep image:
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

3) Check the hibernation setting (Is it 0, 1 or 3?):
pmset -g | grep hibernatemode

4) Logout and see if the settings (hibernate mode 0) stick.

I'll follow up with updates. I'm guessing this won't completely sidestep the issue, but I'll keep at it... If anyone has any additional steps to try, please fire away.

Update: Hmmmm... During resume from sleep (if the machine has been asleep overnight), the screen comes back quickly, and the cursor is now frozen for only a second or two. The keyboard usually works instantly for a quick spotlight launch, but sometimes it's frozen for about a second, too. Not quite there yet, but it seems to be a big improvement for me over the stock settings.

Update #2: Nope. No dice. Woke up the Air today and it sat with a black screen for 3-4 seconds before I could even put my password in. Checked the hibernate mode and it somehow got automatically set to 3 again! Man, this is really annoying compared to the 2010 Air with Snow Leopard... Even my older ThinkPad X60s wakes up faster than this thing....

Update #3: I might as well make my really long post even longer! Tried 10.7.3 (developer version), and everything seems a bit better now. The cursor is still stuck for a few seconds, but at least the keyboard works near instant for me -- enough to quickly launch something via spotlight until the cursor is usable again. I noticed that some of the extra cursors (like the finger-pointing one) have updated, higher resolution forms, too.

pgiguere1
Jan 27, 2012, 01:36 PM
So, has Apple completely given up on up giving OS X instant on again? Not that it's awfully slow, but Snow Leopard was really instant on and it was a very cool thing.

Have they even acknowledged the problem? Or maybe they don't consider it's a problem?

Also, does anybody know what technically makes Lion take longer to wake up?

KPOM
Jan 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
So, has Apple completely given up on up giving OS X instant on again? Not that it's awfully slow, but Snow Leopard was really instant on and it was a very cool thing.

Have they even acknowledged the problem? Or maybe they don't consider it's a problem?

Also, does anybody know what technically makes Lion take longer to wake up?

FileVault2 is part of it. If you have it enabled, it adds a second or two.

Yumunum
Jan 27, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have this problem too. It ticks me off.

JoshRoss
Jul 21, 2012, 08:02 AM
With my late 2010 13-inch MBA running Lion, if I disable the wireless before closing the lid. It wakes-up quickly-- with the only problem being that I have to re-enable the wireless after opening the lid.

-Josh

the-jobster
Jul 25, 2012, 11:51 AM
Has anyone tried with Mountain Lion on the Air? I wonder if it brings back the real instant on (similar to iOS) that Snow Leopard had.

echo.park
Jul 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
I have to say, with ML installed on my MBA mid 2011 it definitely feels better.

KPOM
Jul 25, 2012, 12:07 PM
I have to say, with ML installed on my MBA mid 2011 it definitely feels better.

That's good to hear. The 2012s fixed the issue in Lion, as well, so hopefully ML doesn't "unfix" it.

PaulDoFish
Jul 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
yeah. Installed ML on my 2011 13in MBA, and waking from sleep is pretty instant now.. :D

the-jobster
Jul 25, 2012, 02:50 PM
Great! Will soon take the plunge and post results then!

the-jobster
Jul 25, 2012, 09:55 PM
Guys! Instant-on is finally back! (mid-11 Air)

jcg878
Jul 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
Guys! Instant-on is finally back! (mid-11 Air)

Ditto!

fschweig
Jul 26, 2012, 12:40 AM
indeed!

ooans
Jul 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
My instant-on is slower than ever with ML (upgraded from Lion, which was upgraded from SL.) I'll have to try if a clean install will solve this..

I have MBA 2010.

I'm considering going AppleCare on this. Very annoying.

Nioxic
Jul 29, 2012, 05:50 PM
hmm with my mid 2011 "ultimate" 11" mba, i have... "almost" instantOn.

Screen lights up within a second, and then the mouse blinks and THEN i can type in the login password box.

Overall it takes.. 2-3 seconds

however

if it has been in use recently (within like 5 minutes) its near instant. which is of course great

echo.park
Aug 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
It's back with 10.8.1.

begga
Aug 25, 2012, 04:22 PM
It's back with 10.8.1.
For me, it has never been away... :(

Blackberryroid
Sep 28, 2012, 04:45 AM
Even with ML, it isn't instant.

tredstone
Sep 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
I have a 2012 13" MBA w/ ML, and about 80% of the time I have the problem initially described on this thread - takes about 4-5 seconds before the mouse cursor becomes responsive. Not quite instant-on...