Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
OK, at $30 it was worth a try, plus it was so easy for me to check it out on a Mac Pro (with multiple boot drives inside it). I tried Leo, and I'm mostly indifferent, except for a couple of deal-breakers, which make me want to go back to SL. None of the new features appeal to me (guess I'm stuck in my old ways), but the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" is the herky jerky scrolling I get on my Logitech MX Revolution (yes, I updated to the latest driver). The all-grey Finder didn't help either. The only thing that I love about Lion is the new Mail. I wish there was a way to port it back to SL. Is there? I might just try copying the "exec" and the library files to my SL boot drive, but I have a sneaking suspicion this will not work.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
OK, at $30 it was worth a try, plus it was so easy for me to check it out on a Mac Pro (with multiple boot drives inside it). I tried Leo, and I'm mostly indifferent, except for a couple of deal-breakers, which make me want to go back to SL. None of the new features appeal to me (guess I'm stuck in my old ways), but the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back" is the herky jerky scrolling I get on my Logitech MX Revolution (yes, I updated to the latest driver). The all-grey Finder didn't help either. The only thing that I love about Lion is the new Mail. I wish there was a way to port it back to SL. Is there? I might just try copying the "exec" and the library files to my SL boot drive, but I have a sneaking suspicion this will not work.

During the developer previews someone tried to get the Lion mail to work on SL and I do not think it worked! It is a feature built into Lion I guess!

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
It seems every new version has improved algorithms for storing messages on the client side, which does not affect mail on the server. If you're storing mail server side (e.g., IMAP), after installing SL you can simply re-connect to your mail accounts(s).

If you're not already storing mail server side, I suggest getting a free gmail account, configure it to use IMAP, move the downloaded (POP) mail to the gmail account, install SL, then connect to gmail.

IMO Lion is much better experienced with a trackpad than any type of mouse. I like the new features very much. The only thing I really don't like is the themed look of the Address Book and Calendar.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.