PDA

View Full Version : Move spaces around in Mission Control?

Amblydoper
Jul 23, 2011, 12:48 AM
I would like to get comfy with my spaces and full screen apps. I want them in a particular order. My Apple-intuitive sense told me to just move them around in mission control, possibly while holding down option, but that doesn't work. Can this be done?

MacManiac76
Jul 23, 2011, 01:51 AM
At this point, no they can't be moved around. You are stuck with the order they were created in. Hopefully Apple will add this functionality in a future update.

baryon
Jul 23, 2011, 02:48 AM
If you enable "Automatically Rearrange Spaces" in Mission Control Preferences, you can force it to put your desktops in a certain order: Clicking an app's icon in the Dock will bring whatever space that app is on closer to the space you're on now. Then you can repeat that for every app, in the order you want. It's annoying, it doesn't last long, and it's not a proper solution, but it's the only way to change the order of the freaking desktops.

stevetim
Jul 23, 2011, 03:32 AM
well it works kinda like moving icons from page to page on an iPhone.

hold the top bar of whatever app you want to move and drag the app all the way to the left or right, whatever order you would like to arrange your apps in. look at the order in mission control. if you need to create a new desktop, open mission control, then drag the app into the right hand upper corner over top of the 'new desktop' icon. from there you can repeat step one. if you go to mission control and there is an app open without a desktop number below it, create a new desktop for it.

then while the app is open go to the dock and 'left-click' or 'two-finger-click' to open the options for the app. highlight options>this desktop.

voila'! this should park the apps in the order you want them in all of your desktops.

hope this helps you.

RipeRetina
Aug 17, 2011, 07:38 PM
I would like to get comfy with my spaces and full screen apps. I want them in a particular order. My Apple-intuitive sense told me to just move them around in mission control, possibly while holding down option, but that doesn't work. Can this be done?

I was wondering that myself, but then I asked myself, "Am I really that lazy?" So I just moved the applications I wanted to the appropriate desktop, now I'm happy. Hopefully you will come to that conclusion until Apple releases more functionality.

godzilla1200
Aug 17, 2011, 07:48 PM
My Apple-intuitive sense told me to just move them around in mission control
l
That's the problem I am having with Lion. My first mac came with Leopard, and everything that I wanted to do intuitively, I could. Then came Snow Leopard, and improved even more making a lot of those things easier.

Lion came out, and all the "Apple-intuitive sense" went down the drain. :(
Hopefully Apple realizes this sooner than later. I can't believe that iOS is really polished, makes sense with everything in the OS, is consistent, everything is animated, and the only limitations it has are due to being a portable device. If Apple is trying to make Mac OS X like iOS, it started with the wrong foot.

On your topic: I read in the the first stick post that in 10.7.2 this functionality is available and you can move the spaces and full screen apps as you want. So you would have to wait until iCloud releases

MacManiac76
Aug 17, 2011, 09:33 PM
On your topic: I read in the the first stick post that in 10.7.2 this functionality is available and you can move the spaces and full screen apps as you want. So you would have to wait until iCloud releases

On 10.7.2 you can indeed move around the Desktops in Mission Control. The only restriction is that you can't move the first Desktop around at all which kind of stinks. I actually use Desktop 2 as my main Desktop so I can scroll left to quickly check Mail and right to do the same with Reeder.

baryon
Aug 18, 2011, 02:53 AM
On 10.7.2 you can indeed move around the Desktops in Mission Control. The only restriction is that you can't move the first Desktop around at all which kind of stinks. I actually use Desktop 2 as my main Desktop so I can scroll left to quickly check Mail and right to do the same with Reeder.

That's good news but I don't see why Desktop 1 can't be moved? WTF Apple, why is Desktop 1 any different than Desktop 2?