Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
So my younger brother dropped his iPod at a Giants game and the screen shattered. It's still responsive to touch but you can view the internal components from one of the corners. I was wondering if Apple would give me the same one year warranty as a new iPod if I were to pay the $150 fee for a replacement? The warranty on this one will expire in a couple of months and I'd be a bit happier paying for a replacement with a full warranty.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
So my younger brother dropped his iPod at a Giants game and the screen shattered. It's still responsive to touch but you can view the internal components from one of the corners. I was wondering if Apple would give me the same one year warranty as a new iPod if I were to pay the $150 fee for a replacement? The warranty on this one will expire in a couple of months and I'd be a bit happier paying for a replacement with a full warranty.

OOW replacements have 90 days warranty. If you want a 12 month warranty then buy a new one.

quizzi

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
OOW replacements have 90 days warranty. If you want a 12 month warranty then buy a new one.

Hmm...it might be different for iPods, but I got a refurbished iPhone today from Apple; the 32GB 3GS model to replace my old 3GS which was approaching 2 years old.

I checked the serial number on Apple's website and it said that my warranty expires next year in 2012, which means I just got another years warranty. :)

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It depends, if the serial number is different, consider it a "new" model (that's how it is for Macs). If the serial number is the same, it's likely they just repaired it and in that case, you'll have an additional 90 days of warranty.

Hmm...it might be different for iPods, but I got a refurbished iPhone today from Apple; the 32GB 3GS model to replace my old 3GS which was approaching 2 years old.

I checked the serial number on Apple's website and it said that my warranty expires next year in 2012, which means I just got another years warranty. :)

Same serial number or different?

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
The Genius was amazing. It still had a few months left in warranty and the Genius simply said that I could get a free replacement since I've never has it services before. Apples CS really is top notch, can't be compared!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.