PDA

View Full Version : New Mail Sucks

harleymhs
Jul 23, 2011, 07:11 AM
I just picked up an 11" yesterday and I also have another 11" from a month ago.. Lion seems to be ok.. BUT the NEW mail looks like IPAD mail.. SL mail is much more easier to use... I guess im not one for change but LOVE change in a good way.. this mail is terrible.. Anyone else feel the same way about LIONS mail system????

miles01110
Jul 23, 2011, 07:12 AM
Use the Classic style then...

ECUpirate44
Jul 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, your definitely in the minority. The new mail is so much cleaner, conversation view is awesome and it's much improved overall. If you don't like it, you can revert back to the old style in the settings.

Typswif2fingers
Jul 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Sorry mate.. cannot agree at all...

I quite like it..

Very subjective indeed...

iLog.Genius
Jul 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
New Mail.app > old Mail.app.

There are a few things the new Mail.app does without plugins/add-ons vs. the old Mail. And if you don't like the new Mail, you can always revert to the old style.

3bs
Jul 23, 2011, 07:19 AM
Totally disagree.

Obscurelight
Jul 23, 2011, 07:22 AM
The new mail is definitely a cleaner look and very easy to adapt to for me since I was an IOS user before a Mac user. However you can always revert to classic style if you really do find it unacceptable

Peter Harrison
Jul 23, 2011, 07:23 AM
Can't disagree more strongly. Merges everything that was great about the iPad client and the original Mac client. Current Lion app is better than both IMO.

Also, shouldn't this be in a different area of the forum? Somewhere for the OS talk rather than the Macbook Air. This is a question/statement/complaint relevant to anyone with Lion.

Ubuntu
Jul 23, 2011, 07:35 AM
I just picked up an 11" yesterday and I also have another 11" from a month ago.. Lion seems to be ok.. BUT the NEW mail looks like IPAD mail.. SL mail is much more easier to use... I guess im not one for change but LOVE change in a good way.. this mail is terrible.. Anyone else feel the same way about LIONS mail system????

No, I think its brilliant. Once I reenabled the sidebar I found the layout to be much nicer. But then again, I am using it on an iMac 27 inch display.

JD92
Jul 23, 2011, 07:35 AM
You can make it look exactly like Snow Leopard Mail.app by going Preferences -> Viewing -> Use Classic Layout. Then you can get your mailboxes list back on the left by clicking the 'Show' button under the Get New Mail button.

racer1441
Jul 23, 2011, 07:42 AM
I'm with the OP. Hate the new mail. Yeah, you can get it to be useful through the classic settings, and changes, but that's a hassle. Glad you only have to go through it once.

Who's bright idea was it to nest e-mail threads together. God, I hate that.

McRCN
Jul 23, 2011, 07:56 AM
New mail looks promising, but it will take an adjustment.

Noticed they dropped the Bounce option in Lion.

imahawki
Jul 23, 2011, 08:00 AM
New mail app is 1,000x better than the old one. Was just looking for a 3rd party app when Lion came out. I love the new mail client.

gwsat
Jul 23, 2011, 09:44 AM
The new Mail 5.0 app's search function doesn't work, at least not for me. One of my dedicated mailboxes and a rule to match collects all email notifications from my public library telling me that book a I had reserved is ready for pickup. Heretofore, simply typing in part of the author's name would display every email for that author. That's important because several hundred emails are collected in that mailbox. Alas, the search function doesn't work anymore. I called Apple Care this morning and the tech agreed. He has submitted the problem as a bug report to Apple's engineers.

I didn't like Mail 5.0's new user interface, either, and reverted to the classic view. That helped but it didn't help enough.

Another problem I have had with Lion is that I have to force quit Chrome about two-thirds of the time. Apple has a lot of work to do on Lion.

mac jones
Jul 23, 2011, 10:03 AM
Give it a chance. I hated it at first as it's rather different, and I was used to the SL app which worked fine.

Then I noticed the conversation organization and this alone is worth the price of admission.

It's much better than the old one. Just painful to adjust :D

Note: this is a rather substantial upgrade of OS X it seems. There are a lot of cool features, many I haven't noticed. We are creatures of habit, and change is usually unwelcome, and we often resent the thought of others changing things 'for our own good'. We are suspicious of intentions, and motivations, but mostly it's the work involved. Have you noticed that I just like to hear myself talk and am saying absolutely nothing? :D

NurJahan
Jul 23, 2011, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know how I can make the mail truly "conversation style" like in Gmail? i.e. with the emails I wrote included in the flow? Kind of like a chat window, so that I can see what I wrote, and how people responded back to me?

Thanks

revelated
Jul 23, 2011, 02:00 PM
I don't have an issue with the new layout, rather indifferent actually. It does look like iPad based mail. But I think it really depends on how you use Mail.

For me, I always like the list of folders to show up, even if I never actually go into them. This is because it's natural for me to see the folder list; all webmail apps that I've ever used have shown them, and Outlook does as well. So hiding it by default was a little annoying, showing them again put me back at ease.

"Smart Names" or whatever is also troublesome, I made sure to disable that when I first loaded it. I like to see name and email because unfortunately, if you just show names, you can't really tell whether it's a valid sender or not. It might say "Chase Online" but really be coming from some guy in Africa.

Lastly, I like to see all recipients, To/CC, without having to request that info. So I enabled that.

Ultimately, it's mail. Doesn't have to be fancy. For times when I need more out of it I'll just go to Gmail until they bring back offline Gmail.

Peter Harrison
Jul 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
I'm really surprised much I like it in fullscreen. I've been put off by fullscreen thanks to Apple's previous efforts with apps on Snow Leopard (iPhoto, Aperture etc) but the native fullscreen on Lion is awesome. I love having the whole screen for my Mail and just swiping across to it when I need to.

AC Rempt
Jul 23, 2011, 02:14 PM
My biggest problem with the new mail is my inability to change the size of the font in the column that lists what's in my inbox. I can do that in the classic mode, so with some regrets, I've gone back to that. I'd love to be able to use the new mail, but that font is too small for me.

kchase2
Jul 24, 2011, 11:57 AM

I think this is the worst email client Apple has ever produced...they assume so much...and if you do that then at least give us the ability to customize freely the way we want it...this is Apple being Microsoftish...your Macers are loyal..give them what they really want

striker33
Jul 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
Not sure why your posting about Mail in an Air forum, but meh.

I do agree though. It is just as awful as the previous version.

Outlook 2011 is easily the better email client on Mac. Wasn't too great at first, but since all the updates its much more stable.

solowmodel
Jul 24, 2011, 12:03 PM
I love the new Mail app.

gwsat
Jul 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
I think this is the worst email client Apple has ever produced...they assume so much...and if you do that then at least give us the ability to customize freely the way we want it...this is Apple being Microsoftish...your Macers are loyal..give them what they really want
I agree. See my earlier post, No. 14. The search function in the new mail app doesn't work.

Booch21
Jul 24, 2011, 12:54 PM
Call it strange, but on the iPad, I can deal with the mail in that setup, but on the Mac, it is harder to work with for me. I went to classic mode, which is how all of my computer based e-mail programs look, Outlook at work included. I do notice that the conversation feature still works in classic mode. Use what works for you!

FieldingMellish
Jul 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
I'm still learning Mail and am forced to use it due to Lion not supporting my 2004 version Entourage. :eek:

Samsumac
Jul 24, 2011, 01:22 PM
I find the new Mail app, vastly improved.

dba415
Jul 24, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'm still on Snow Leopard and my mail looks pretty much exactly like the new mail app thanks to the WideMail plugin.

I actually think it looks a little cleaner and more professional than the lion mail.

zen
Jul 24, 2011, 01:25 PM
I love the new Mail app in terms of layout, and if the search function can be improved or restored to the old style at some point, then fine.

However, the biggest issue - and quite a serious one - seems to be that Mail is eating emails (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13026315#post13026315).

llirik
Jul 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
My biggest issue with Mail is actually in its Fullscreen mode. Maybe I haven't found the option of where to turn this off... but if you enter FullScreen and create a new message... you're basically stuck with that mail screen. you can't get out of it without deleting or saving this draft... this is very inconvenient as I often am composing 2 or 3 emails at a time, depending on the task. In fullscreen mode, I can't. Nor can I quickly consult another email for something to copy+paste into what I'm writing.

Not to mention I don't have access to the desktop to quickly drag and drop a file(s) into a message, which as a designer, I quite often have (or from one email into another again).

I love the idea of full screen apps and that it get's its own space (truth be told, I had a dedicated space in snow leopard JUST for mail that was set to always be there)... but it shouldn't hinder quick productivity like this.

Anyone else come across this?

Nekbeth
Jul 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
Lion is a true deception, just for the fact that Spaces was changed into a 5 year old horizontal window organizer. You can't even assign App to start by default on each window. And why make it 1 window when you have 9 or 12 on your monitor to organize everything?? what a stupid idea, bad bad.. decision.

And Mail, I just change to old style because I can't change the message list font on the new style.

I going back to Snow leopard.

trondah
Jul 26, 2011, 04:14 PM
Do people use local mail any more? :)

gr8tfly
Jul 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
Lion is a true deception, just for the fact that Spaces was changed into a 5 year old horizontal window organizer. You can't even assign App to start by default on each window. And why make it 1 window when you have 9 or 12 on your monitor to organize everything?? what a stupid idea, bad bad.. decision.

And Mail, I just change to old style because I can't change the message list font on the new style.

I going back to Snow leopard.

Right-click, or click-hold on app's Dock icon. Then Option>Assign To, and select "This Desktop"

jclardy
Jul 26, 2011, 04:21 PM
I like the new mail way better although I still have a few issues with it:

1. After searching for an email and closing the search I am usually a few months back in the list of emails. To get back to the top I have to use the scrollbar. Not a huge deal, but since the scrollbars disappear I have to scroll a little then grab it (Yes, I know you can disable this). Some kind of click to go to the top would be great, just like on iOS.

2. In fullscreen mode compose view...it is modal. You can't reference other emails so if you need to you have to save a draft. This can be fixed by not using fullscreen mode.

tigres
Jul 26, 2011, 06:32 PM
Why does the new mail take about 3-5 seconds to quit?

urkel
Jul 26, 2011, 06:42 PM
I see the OPs point but overall I like the new mail.

Use the Classic style then...

I think everything in Lion that is a questionable change also has a way to revert back to the old style. So while I also have some complaints about the Lion defaults, in the end I was able to tweak enough of it back to the way I like it.

welzmo
Apr 4, 2012, 11:39 AM
Apple mail takes forever to load and then it stops my auto shut-down and the computer is on all night. Most times I have to force quit because it refuses to. Am I doing something wrong?

GekkePrutser
Apr 4, 2012, 12:40 PM
Apple mail takes forever to load and then it stops my auto shut-down and the computer is on all night. Most times I have to force quit because it refuses to. Am I doing something wrong?

Yeah ;)

Wrong forum (Mac OS question, not MBA specific)
Thread resurrection
Not even related to original topic about Mail layout changes

But anyway, have a look at Mail's Activity Window (Command-Option-0 if I'm not mistaken) to see if it's doing something in the background, maybe it's having trouble connecting to one of your mailboxes and is stuck on that.

revelated
Apr 5, 2012, 02:54 AM
I see the OPs point but overall I like the new mail.

I think everything in Lion that is a questionable change also has a way to revert back to the old style.

Lack of color icons is a questionable change that cannot be converted permanently, and the only temporary fix involves effectively hacking the icons. But there still has not been an Apple-provided resolution. Apparently to them, the colors aren't needed.

BrianBaughn
Apr 5, 2012, 07:57 AM
The message list font size not being adjustable, mentioned here a couple of times already, is my main beef. Slightly vision-impaired clients have a bit of trouble reading it. I feel for them as my vision is pretty bad, also.

In Leopard/Snow Leopard you could set the scale factor of all apps or a single app using "appledisplayscalefactor" in terminal. Not a valid command in Lion.