PDA

View Full Version : Resume switched off, but TextEdit still opens last document?

stevearm
Jul 23, 2011, 08:49 AM
As the title says I've switched Resume off, but whenever I close TextEdit, it doesn't ask me to save changes to the document, and when I re-open, my last bit of text is still there.

If I wanted to ****** save it, I would have. :mad:

Any ideas how to remove this "feature"?

applefan289
Jul 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
As the title says I've switched Resume off, but whenever I close TextEdit, it doesn't ask me to save changes to the document, and when I re-open, my last bit of text is still there.

If I wanted to ****** save it, I would have. :mad:

Any ideas how to remove this "feature"?

Same annoyance here. That's a feature of Autosave, not Resume.

See this thread that I created, it answers your question and more:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194547&highlight=

mac1984user
Jul 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
Yep. I have the same issue. I think they've dumbed this operating system down for people they believe make a lot of errors in the course of their workflow. There are very few times I can remember closing a program before I saved the file I was working on. This new move toward auto-save/resuming has become more of an annoyance than a 'feature' for me. Oh well, Apple says jump and I jump...

Shivetya
Jul 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
LOL - I want to know what will stop Preview from previewing everything it has previewed before each time I look at something new :P

applefan289
Jul 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
Apple says jump and I jump...

Same here. :D

Fabricman112
Jul 23, 2011, 09:14 AM
I absolutely HATE this "feature".. there should at least be an option to disable auto-save

Ive got a bunch of textfiles that as use as templates for python scripts... if I wanted to change a small variable somewhere in the middle of the txt, imagine the mess all the versions would become :mad:

so I switched to textwrangler for all text documents, change a few numbers, copy & paste... NOT changing my template

tkermit
Jul 23, 2011, 09:45 AM
I absolutely HATE this "feature".. there should at least be an option to disable auto-save

Ive got a bunch of textfiles that as use as templates for python scripts... if I wanted to change a small variable somewhere in the middle of the txt, imagine the mess all the versions would become :mad:

so I switched to textwrangler for all text documents, change a few numbers, copy & paste... NOT changing my template

If you're using a file as a template, may I suggest locking it, so that the system will ask you to duplicate it?

I love this new AutoSave+Resume feature because I often create a ton of documents that either have only temporary purpose or for which I'm not willing to choose a file name or location yet.

Spotlight will even show unsaved documents now. :)

Fabricman112
Jul 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
I did lock.. but thats not how I wanted it at all
Id like to manually change a few numbers/letters and then paste into terminal for testing, when I have it to my liking Ill save it to a new file... now I have 2 files my original template and my final, and NOT 300 versions between

tkermit
Jul 23, 2011, 10:56 AM
I did lock.. but thats not how I wanted it at all
Id like to manually change a few numbers/letters and then paste into terminal for testing, when I have it to my liking Ill save it to a new file... now I have 2 files my original template and my final, and NOT 300 versions between

But if you never look at the Versions view, you still end up with only 2 files, your original template and your final? Just save and lock the duplicate file when you're satisfied with it. Or are your worried about disk space? Which shouldn't be a huge issues at all with text files and deltas.

Fabricman112
Jul 23, 2011, 11:11 AM
well I have no need for any versions, just the fact that I have to lock my file for it not to change (if I want a change Ill save it/another), annoys me

but Ill just use textwrangler instead, it behaves like I want it to

Fabricman112
Jul 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
say I have 4 small textfiles that Im combining into 1 script...
maybe I need to test each file differently (changing something everytime) when Im satisfied with the 4 seperate ones Ill paste them to a new textfile... when done with that Ill save the combined and hit cmd+q NOT saving the 4 other (that now differ from my template) :o

now imagine this with twice the amount of windows..:rolleyes:

tkermit
Jul 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the example scenario — makes sense.

I guess the proper new workflow would be to first duplicate each file that you don't actually intend to permanently change. But it does seem to be an additional step at this point.

Maybe Apple could create an option to have certain files be opened as a template by default or after hitting a shortcut...